PDA

View Full Version : Smiths Little Torch

redgrouse
08-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Hi guys, I know the old adage "you pays your money" and I am a big believer in that but has anyone purchased and used any of the clones of these tools? I cannot justify the near 200 price tag over here and there are numerous one advertised on Ebay all are obviously copies, varying prices from 20 to 50 delivered !!!
Any thoughts comments welcome
Thanks all, John

gbritnell
08-21-2017, 12:51 PM
HI John,
All I can say is I have the genuine Smiths Little Torch and it works great. I have the oxyacetylene type with the 5 different tips. To use it you will also need to buy the low pressure oxygen regulator as a standard regulator won't go down far enough. It will but at those low pressures it's not sensitive enough.
I don't know anyone with the import version so I can't really comment on them.
gbritnell

platypus2020
08-21-2017, 01:23 PM
I also have one of the Smith little torch set, like gbritnell, I've had not no issues with the torch, a very nice piece of equipment.

flylo
08-21-2017, 02:09 PM
I bought an incomplete Smith mini torch so I bought this set on Ebay & they work fine eBay item number:181790427619 only $35 & have the proper color knobs on the torch.

Illinoyance
08-21-2017, 02:46 PM
For that price it should have included regulators and maybe tanks. The torch kt alone is about $50 here.

redgrouse
08-21-2017, 04:35 PM
Illinoyance, Hi I wish I could buy for $50 -- the lowest price I can find for a genuine set in the UK is 185 [$250 approx] and that is only the torch and tips, hoses -- no regulators.
gbritnell & Jack thanks for your input good to know the genuine units are spot on as I would have expected, my problem is I have only occasional use for such a torch -- or so it seems when I don't have one !!! Interesting about the regulators because I was assuming the standard regulators would be OK so I'll keep that in mind, I will use Oxy - Acetylene.
flylo I tried to link to the eBay number but it shows nothing even on eBay USA however it sounds encouraging that you have used a clone and found it OK -- I can purchase a clone this side of the pond for similar money around 25 - 30

I might take a chance and see what happens but will hang fire to see if more replies come in.
Thanks all for your contributions
John

Bob Engelhardt
08-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Illinoyance, Hi I wish I could buy for $50 -- the lowest price I can find for a genuine set in the UK is 185 [$250 approx] and that is only the torch and tips, hoses -- no regulators.

I bought mine with regulators for $215 (in 2006 <G>). It was from Welding Supply. They now have it, with regulators, for $286:
http://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/spider.pl?23-1003||1|642|||285.99

Bob

smithdoor
08-21-2017, 08:14 PM
It is a good torch but for very same work as in jewelry type work
If looking larger work try a small set like use Victor Medium Duty Performer Outfit CGA 510 good 26 GA to 1/4" [6.35mm]

Dave

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Technologies-0384-0946-G150-J-Pt-Tanks/dp/B01GDRF9W2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1503360736&sr=8-5&keywords=victor+torch+set

https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-torch-kit-with-oxygen-and-acetylene-tanks-65818.html

Hi guys, I know the old adage "you pays your money" and I am a big believer in that but has anyone purchased and used any of the clones of these tools? I cannot justify the near 200 price tag over here and there are numerous one advertised on Ebay all are obviously copies, varying prices from 20 to 50 delivered !!!
Any thoughts comments welcome
Thanks all, John

GNM109
08-21-2017, 08:47 PM
I also have a Smiths Little Torch. I paid $90 for it in 1978. It came with a 0,1,2,3,4,5 tip and a Rosebud. I use it from time to time for very small silver soldering jobs. It works great.

boslab
08-21-2017, 10:20 PM
gbritnell & Jack thanks for your input good to know the genuine units are spot on as I would have expected, my problem is I have only occasional use for such a torch -- or so it seems when I don't have one !!! Interesting about the regulators because I was assuming the standard regulators would be OK so I'll keep that in mind, I will use Oxy - Acetylene.
flylo I tried to link to the eBay number but it shows nothing even on eBay USA however it sounds encouraging that you have used a clone and found it OK -- I can purchase a clone this side of the pond for similar money around 25 - 30

I might take a chance and see what happens but will hang fire to see if more replies come in.
Thanks all for your contributions
John
I use a lead burning torch, very useful, tiny tips, you find a lot on eBay from time to time.
Like this:
https://www.welduk.com/product/lead-burning-welding-gun-kit?gclid=Cj0KCQjwierMBRCHARIsAHl9i4FK9hDzYz1biLrq HB4h3cFEcVu7vPtqxrrtvu16xfu2y7YB88_b51oaAi_xEALw_w cB
Mark

lugnut
08-21-2017, 10:31 PM
I have one just like the Smiths Little Torch, only it's sold by Victor. I use it all the time for soldering my copper art work. I picked it up at a yard sale with tanks and cart for $30. Love it.

Pete49
08-22-2017, 09:15 AM
I bought a copy for $au40 from eBay and love it Had to change the hose fitting as they were the US version but well worth it. Even looks like the real thing with the proper box and 5 nozzles.
Pete

laddy
08-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Have had mine about ten years. I prefer it to other more robust torches. It just has the right feel for me. I love it. Can' recall what I paid but I bought it new. Never regretted it.

redgrouse
08-22-2017, 04:26 PM
Well took the plunge and ordered a copy from the Bangood outfit in China so I'll post again when I have tested it and give my opinion -- just could not justify the the price of a 'real" one -- we will see! However thanks for all the comments. John

KMoffett
08-23-2017, 11:01 AM
I have a Smith Little torch. I do a little art work with food can material. If you turn up the O2, you can actually use it as a cutting torch on thin metal. :)

Ken

gbritnell
08-23-2017, 11:50 AM
I just got an email from Otto Frei (jewelry supplier) They have all the Smith torches and accessories on sale. 10% off.
gbritnell

redgrouse
10-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Well I got a Chinese clone from Bangood outfit it cost me just short of $30 US on offer [22 sterling] I've had it for a couple of weeks, had to make adaptors from UNF to BSP but an easy job.
Well packed and presented and seems reasonably well made,
How does it work -- well I have used it on 2/3 small jobs plus of course had a 'play' with it trying the different nozzles and heating bits and bobs. It works well and is controllable for the flame settings without any creep that I could detect on the flame size etc. The nozzles --- well could be better ! there is without doubt issues with these, they not have a ruby as do the originals on smallest sizes , only to be expected but I don't feel they are really sized as they should be. Its difficult to determine a definite difference in flame size between each one although between 2 sizes you can see a difference, also some of the flames are not true to the tip -- burning at an angle on 2 of the smallest sizes.

All things considered price in particular I reckon its good value and will suffice for my needs at a fraction of the price I could buy the real thing for over here -- 180 was the lease expensive I could find so 22 = no contest. However I am sure the genuine article is superior in every way and if I do find ever more uses who knows I may bite the bullet and buy one!
Maybe this will help others decide which way to jump/
Cheers John

alanganes
10-04-2017, 07:12 PM
I used to use an Smith's original fairly often in my job, they are really nice tools for that sort of delicate work.

It sounds like you got an OK deal so long as you adjust your expectations. Thanks for reporting back on this, always useful info.

Wheels17
10-04-2017, 11:58 PM
I bought my "Smith" little torch from Amazon at a very low price. Figured I'd get a counterfeit, but with the cost difference I figured it was worth the gamble. The true Smith torches have laser drilled sapphires in the smaller sizes; mine didn't. But it works fine on my 27 year old single stage regulators. The very fine, very hot flame can be extremely useful. The last time I used it, it was under the hood of an old van, to free up the steel bolt that was corroded into the aluminum casing of the alternator. My regular torch could never have been used safely, nor would it really have fit in the limited space. The little torch was just the ticket. It didn't work for a braze repair on the radiator, just not enough BTUs.

fixxit
10-08-2017, 02:14 AM
About 10 years ago I bought a new Smith torch from a major vendor for about $120 (I can't remember who it was, McMaster or Rio Grande) When I took it out of the box I found that the factory had reversed the fittings for oxygen and acetylene on the end of the hoses to the regulators. I had to send it back to Smith to have the incorrect fittings replaced. It's worked fine since, but I'm still a bit miffed at the error.

Bob La Londe
10-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Over the years I have had 3 Smith's OA regulators go bad, and two Victors (the big expensive ones). I do not use my torch often so idling may have had its affect. I am currently using a cheap set of imports I bought at a garage sale just for the hoses. The acetylene one has been in use for years with zero issues, but I just installed the oxygen last week because the Smith oxygen regulator I was using died. It regulates ok when you are using, but if left to set for a couple minutes the pressure quickly climbs to peg the gage (and more I am sure). My experience has been that Smith's and Victor Journeymen just cost more. Sure I can get them rebuilt, but from the local welding shop that costs more than a cheap set of regulators that last just as well for my applications.

I only turn on the gas when I am using it. Turn it off as soon as I am done, and always look at the gages when I hang the torch. Even if just for a moment. That probably saved me from a blown hose last week when that Smith regulator failed.

That being said. I have a pair of Smith flow regulators on my dual stinger Miller MIG rig that have worked flawlessly for years. I also have a another Smith flow regulator I used to use for my mini MIG before I dedicated it to flux core only that never gave me any trouble.

There is huge brand loyalty to Smith and to Victor (Journeyman line?), but they have not earned it for OA in my experience. That being said, my dad has a set of the cheaper Victor OA regulators that have been in service since the 70s and except for replacing a couple gages over the years I am not aware that he has had any problems. They probably made them better back then.