PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of comedians at Jet!

QSIMDO
08-24-2017, 09:59 AM
A series of misinterpreted events ( my fault ) led me to remove the gear box pulley on my Jet 4x6 saw.

What a fiasco.

Had to cut the pulley off ( NOT my fault ) after it would not budge from the shaft, heat & puller be damned.
Then, removed the cover of the gearbox while standing on the back side so I didn't clearly see that someone had filled the gearbox
with the gearbox flat so it was grossly overfilled!

A deluge of gear oil!
Thank God for Pig Mats.

So, on to ordering a new pulley.
Jet doesn't do parts for this saw directly so you have to buy them from independent vendors.
No time to make my own so $57 & shipping later :( ......

Then it occurred to me that others sell this same saw...went to another seller and the pulley is $9.

Needless to say, when the $9 pulley gets here and is proven to work the gold and platinum pulley goes back!

Based on their spare parts program I'm quite sure I don't need to buy from Jet again.

engineerd3d
08-24-2017, 10:52 AM
I picked up a delta 4x6 saw for nothing a few months back. With that said the gearbox housing is molded to the main casting on my saw, yours is separate? Also what kind of lube are you using? 90wt? I am planning on doing a teardown and rebuild on my saw in the coming months.

QSIMDO
08-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Absolutely the same saw, note for note.
Cast gearbox, 90 wt, the works.
Good parts source at Grizzly; http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0622/parts

GNM109
08-24-2017, 11:28 AM
Absolutely the same saw, note for note.
Cast gearbox, 90 wt, the works.
Good parts source at Grizzly; http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0622/parts

Well you are lucky. At least Jet is still in business and will sell you parts. I have an Enco 13 X 40 and since MSC bought the company and basically removed it, there are no parts at all. I recently tried to buy a control transformer from MSC and they told me that they no longer have any parts.

The G4016 Grizzly is identical to my 110-1340 Enco, however so it's possible that I might be able to get parts from Grizzly in the future should I need any.

DR
08-24-2017, 11:59 AM
I have Jet stories from way back in their early days in Tacoma, must have been at least 30 years ago. They weren't very organized. The warehouse had all sorts of machines that I assumed had been given to Jet with hope of them being included in Jet's product line. Also, Jet machines that had been returned with warranty issues. The odd machines and the returned machines were for sale. Lots of miscellaneous parts at "make an offer" prices too. Dealers sometimes bought the returned machines to resell as new. At some point Jet began marking the machines so they couldn't be resold as new.

My first purchase was a clone of an American made 5C lever collet closer I adapted to a Logan lathe. Another time I needed a Y axis feed screw for a Linley jig mill, the parts guy suggested I look through their parts inventory to see if they had something close that could be modified to fit. There was a close match including a cast iron nut (cast iron nut??). He couldn't find the part number in his price listings so we agreed on 20 bucks.

Another time I was over there when one of their marketing guys was in the warehouse. Looking over a drill press I commented it didn't have a quill depth stop. "What's a depth stop for", he says. A year or so later they had jury rigged a depth stop assembly by bolting it onto the left side of the head rather than it being part of the head casting.

A couple years ago at a machine tool dealers going out of business auction I bought a shelving unit including contents. Under the shelf were three dusty wood crates nobody had noticed. They were brand new Jet dividing heads. Each crate included an inspection certificate supposedly indicating the accuracy of that head. Funny thing, all the certificates were exactly the same, photocopies that all had the same dirty thumb print in the corner.

Somewhere along the line Jet did get their act together.

Paul Alciatore
08-24-2017, 08:59 PM
I have always wondered about Jet.

garyhlucas
08-24-2017, 09:10 PM
We had a fairly large well known horizontal bandsaw at a place I worked. It squeaked while cutting from the gearbox. I had the ship guy remove the pulley and the gearbox cover so we could inspect it. He called me out to the shop and I looked in the gearbox at the worm and gear. I asked what he did with the bearing on the shaft. He said he didn't remove it, there wasn't one! Three years running without one of the bearings. I called the factory and told them what we found. The guy didn't give ne an argument at all just sent me a whole new gear box. That kind of stuff must have happened before.

epicfail48
08-25-2017, 03:59 AM
We had a fairly large well known horizontal bandsaw at a place I worked. It squeaked while cutting from the gearbox. I had the ship guy remove the pulley and the gearbox cover so we could inspect it. He called me out to the shop and I looked in the gearbox at the worm and gear. I asked what he did with the bearing on the shaft. He said he didn't remove it, there wasn't one! Three years running without one of the bearings. I called the factory and told them what we found. The guy didn't give ne an argument at all just sent me a whole new gear box. That kind of stuff must have happened before.

Thats... actually, thats really impressive! Sure, its not the good kind of impressive, more like seeing a car thats worn its brake pads down to the caliper but still stops, but still, impressive nevertheless

kc5ezc
08-25-2017, 10:38 AM
The G4016 Grizzly is identical to my 110-1340 Enco, however so it's possible that I might be able to get parts from Grizzly in the future should I need any.
Also try Wholesale tools. My 13x40 seems identical to the Enco 110-1340\

krutch
08-31-2017, 12:40 PM
I had to replace the drive gear and worm on the 4x5 saw my dad had. I have one similar. Not who made either saw. Been a while since the replacment parts were acquired and I want to say I got them from Buffalo. The original gears were lubed with grease of some kind and the grease was all in the corners mixed with the shavings of the gear set. I used oil for lube and have had no problems since.
Now, having said that, watch the damn thing quit when I need it most.