PDA

View Full Version : OT - Hurricane Harvey - Texas Gulf Coast

CCWKen
08-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Well, TS Harvey just turned into Hurricane Harvey. Forecast from the gulf to here indicates we're in for 8-15" of rain with up to 20" in localized areas. With HOT gulf waters, it's expected to build to a CAT-2-3 and land in the Corpus Christy/Port Aransas area. I'm about 125 miles from the coast but we still get torrential rains and wind gusts.

You guys closer to the gulf should batten the hatches! :)

bill4227
08-24-2017, 01:35 PM
Stock up on gas now. When Katrina hit the price went from about 2.50 per gal to almost 4.00

chipmaker4130
08-24-2017, 01:48 PM
. . .we're in for 8-15" of rain . . .

Amazing! That's our annual rainfall! Hope you can swim...

Paul Alciatore
08-24-2017, 07:59 PM
Sitting here in Beaumont, about 25 or 30 miles from the coast and waiting for the storm. It looks like it will make landfall around Corpus Christi or perhaps a bit east of there but then they expect it to stall and pour rain down on us all for a day or two. What it will do after that is anyone's guess: a local TV weather man show a composite of about 30 something predicted storm tracks and they went in almost every direction, including looping back around and into the Gulf again where it could intensify all over again.

Gonna be fun for the next few days. We have some bags packed, just in case. I'm going to go out and pick up the yard after I finish eating my dinner. And go fill up the tank in my truck.

J Tiers
08-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Hmmm . The last big one to come through to here (Ike) came all the way up to us and still dumped 5" to 7" of rain in a short time. Cars were floating around a couple blocks away from here (and also 75 feet or more lower). Drowned two people right down the hill.

Some of that area was bought out and houses removed, but there is more flatland that could be flooded by the local little creek (the River Des Peres) that is not so little when there is a big storm.

If it can do that here, I sure don't want to be down on the coast.

wierdscience
08-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Looks to be a rain maker for sure,maybe even some wind.

Ken and the rest of you guys and gals in Texas,do your best to stay high and dry!

CCWKen
08-24-2017, 10:47 PM
All of San Antonio would be under water before it floods here. I'm on a small rise around 700' AMSL Southwest of the big city. The problem is when that much rain falls, it makes most of the roads around here impassible for several days. The creeks and rivers take a while to move all the water out. I was land-locked back in '99 and 2005 when the last time we had ~13" of rain. I'll be alright as long as the electric stays on and there's no tornados spawned by the storm.

CCWKen
08-24-2017, 11:40 PM
News is saying they haven't opened the contra-lanes for I-37 out of Corpus Christi yet but they are showing miles of slow moving headlights moving Northbound into San Antonio and North. For those that don't know, some Interstates in Texas are opened in "one-way" mode for emergencies. For I-37, it means the Southbound lanes will be opened to Northbound traffic only. So ALL 4,6 or 8 lanes would be for Northbound evacuation traffic.

KiddZimaHater
08-25-2017, 12:35 AM
I'm prepping my yard, putting stuff away. and turning off all of the breakers on my machines. Shutting everything down for the weekend. Hunkering down with the family and lots of beer.

Paul Alciatore
08-25-2017, 01:39 AM
J, I was born and raised in New Orleans and live in Beaumont now. But I spent some years working in southern Iowa and saw some flooding there when the rivers ran over. Things can be different in the two areas but neither is automatically worse or better. In Iowa the flooding was near the rivers and other low areas but most of the towns were OK after you got a few blocks from the rivers. Beaumont and New Orleans are both on coastal plains and river flood planes. New Orleans is worse and they have levies and pumping stations to control the water. But sometimes it gets away from them and a levy breaks or a pumping station breaks down. When that happens wide areas can flood as we saw a decade ago.

Here in Beaumont we are somewhat higher. We have had flooding near the river as well as some local stuff in streets that are low or where the drainage gets backed up. The 500 year flood line clips the front corner of my lot by about five feet or so. I suspect that was determined before any fill was added when the house was constructed. We can get a good flow in the street and some houses that are a few blocks from here have had water marks in the driveways, but not into the houses or garages.

I don't think I am in much more danger here than I was where I lived in Iowa. And I doubt that much more of the town will flood here than the town I lived in in Iowa. We may get 10 to 16 inches of rain, but it should be spread over a day or two so it should have time to drain off. We have good drainage canals.

I hope.

Hmmm . The last big one to come through to here (Ike) came all the way up to us and still dumped 5" to 7" of rain in a short time. Cars were floating around a couple blocks away from here (and also 75 feet or more lower). Drowned two people right down the hill.

Some of that area was bought out and houses removed, but there is more flatland that could be flooded by the local little creek (the River Des Peres) that is not so little when there is a big storm.

If it can do that here, I sure don't want to be down on the coast.

aostling
08-25-2017, 01:45 AM
... The problem is when that much rain falls, it makes most of the roads around here impassible for several days. The creeks and rivers take a while to move all the water out. I was land-locked back in '99 and 2005 when the last time we had ~13" of rain.

I know what you mean. I saw Victoria flooded in 1999 when the Guadalupe River rose well above its banks. There are no natural lakes in Texas to absorb the deluge, just dammed reservoirs. I hope those have some reserve capacity now.

J Tiers
08-25-2017, 01:55 AM
J, I was born and raised in New Orleans and live in Beaumont now. But I spent some years working in southern Iowa and saw some flooding there when the rivers ran over. Things can be different in the two areas but neither is automatically worse or better. .....

I don't think I am in much more danger here than I was where I lived in Iowa. And I doubt that much more of the town will flood here than the town I lived in in Iowa. We may get 10 to 16 inches of rain, but it should be spread over a day or two so it should have time to drain off. We have good drainage canals.

I hope.

Eh, I was considering that the storm wears itself out by the time it gets up here, less wind, less rain, less of everything. But it was bad enough just flooding even so. When it's fresh off the gulf, and adding in storm surge, heavier rain, and wind issues, it would CLEARLY be a much worse situation. Flooding might be the least of it.

What lets you off the hook to some extent is that you folks do not have basements, in general. We do. The flooding here filled basements right up to the top, in many places, and in some filled the first floor as well. In other non-flooded areas, drains could not handle the runoff from the driveway down to basement garages, and so the basement filled up a foot or so even though there was no flooding around them.

mattthemuppet
08-25-2017, 10:10 AM
yeah, best wishes to anyone near the coast. I've been repeatedly warned not to ford any flooded roads I come across, but I drove in today instead of biking and the freeways should all be clear. I'm pretty sure I'll get to fill up my 150gn rain barrel :)

Only downside is that we were supposed to go to Sea World with my parents tomorrow and swim with some dolphins (on my mums bucket list), but I don't think that's going to happen this weekend!

CCWKen
08-25-2017, 10:38 AM
They've ordered a mandatory evacuation of some coastal counties but not for CC yet. The Texas National Guard has been activated so they're probably going to open the I-37 contra-lanes to Northbound only. I think they man the entrance ramps with the Guard so no one can enter the southbound lanes. It's going to be interesting to see that in action.

Storm surge is expected to be 12'. There's not much of Padre Island (~150 miles long) that rises above that so Harvey is expected to cause major land mass changes. I wonder what's going to happen to all the homes and hotels on the beach front. Padre Island protects most of the Texas mainland coast from gulf storms but this one could be an exception.

pgmrdan
08-25-2017, 10:41 AM
My son was sent to work near Mercedes,TX last week and is still there. I think he's going to get hit pretty hard.

HWooldridge
08-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Sounds like it's going to hit around Fulton near the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. My concern is that it may likely stall and dump rain for several days.

Our house is high but we can get stranded behind our drainage culvert near the county road when it starts flooding. At least it's on the weekend, people can stay home and not venture out.

I prepped as best I could but I think the rainfall will be quite heavy and there ain't much anyone can do about that.

CCWKen
08-25-2017, 11:38 AM
That's pretty flat in that area with lots of waterways and the Rio Grand close by. Besides the local rain, the Rio Grand will be taking on water from much of the entire coastal plains. Flooding down there can be 1-2 weeks after all the rain is gone. I hope your son heeds any evacuation warnings.

It's at Cat-2 and rising. Still 115 miles offshore and about 240 miles from here and we've been getting clouds and wind out of the NE already. I've been out covering some things and picking up any small items (flower pots, etc.).

aostling
09-01-2017, 12:33 AM
... We have good drainage canals.

During the five years I lived in Texas (1996-2000) I visited Beaumont only once. I liked what I saw then. If you left, I hope you will give us a report when you return.

A.K. Boomer
09-01-2017, 02:27 AM
Well, TS Harvey just turned into Hurricane Harvey. Forecast from the gulf to here indicates we're in for 8-15" of rain with up to 20" in localized areas. With HOT gulf waters, it's expected to build to a CAT-2-3 and land in the Corpus Christy/Port Aransas area. I'm about 125 miles from the coast but we still get torrential rains and wind gusts.

You guys closer to the gulf should batten the hatches! :)

Think we had anything to do with it or should we just keep burying our heads in the sand?, I mean if it's that serious and there's a possibility of that then should we be looking into it to prevent further loss of life or is that for some reason wrong of me to ask?