X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Ford
    • Dec 2006

Texas storm

Found a site that has Radar for all Texas.

http://www.wfaa.com/weather (link is external)
  • tincture500
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Bob Ford View Post
    Found a site that has Radar for all Texas.

http://www.wfaa.com/weather (link is external)
    Yes, a termendous storm of the century, godspeed for safety of all.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Comment

• HWooldridge
      • Jan 2006

I live in New Braunfels. We only had about 6 inches of rain and wind never topped 35 mph but it's a real mess east of here. They will be cleaning up the coast and areas around Houston for months.

Comment

• Abner
        • Dec 2009

This reminds me of Katrina, just where are you going to house that many people? Hopefully the death toll doesn't rise. Read somewhere only 1 in 6 has flood insurance. The economic toll has to be enormous, damaged homes, vehicles, businesses and the loss of employment. I suspect many will leave and never go back.
        Went through Biloxi, MS 2 yrs after hurricane Camille. Concrete steps, damaged chimney's but no house. Motels with the front and back walls blown out - looked like the TV show Hollywood Squares. Friend and I picked up some nasty infections swimming in a pool there, both required Dr. medical attention.
        Forecast sounds terrible.

Comment

• CCWKen
          • Jan 2003

I'm about 25 miles SW of San Antonio and we've had less than 3/4" of rain for the entire event. San Antonio has had more rain but we've been blessed by being just outside the rain band's limit. It's still cloudy here but we didn't have any rain yesterday and none so far today. The poor folks on the east side of the eye or low pressure center are really getting hammered. The Weather Channel has been full of reports of citizens taking their private boats out to rescue people. The mayor and LEO chiefs have finally asked that anyone with a boat to help where you can. It's not over yet. Rain is expected to continue the rest of the week for SE Texas and Louisiana. Sad days ahead for many.

In the months to come and you're thinking of buying a used car, make sure it didn't come from this event. The Houston police chief said there's already over a million cars affected by the floods and that's just Houston. They've even set up a special website to locate towed/recovered cars. I bet you'll see used car prices and building supplies going up nation wide. Supply and demand! There could be an immediate demand for 2-3 million vehicles in the region. As well as housing for an equal amount of people.
          Last edited by CCWKen; 08-28-2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• garyhlucas
            • Mar 2013

My boss called me on Sunday. Someone reached out to him to possibly supply potable water filtration equipment for FEMA. What is interesting is we build wastewater treatment plants that generate near drinking water quality effluent from sewage. However the membrane technology we employ is the same as for drinking water filtration which I have done. The neat part is that our equipment used to produce drinking water from polluted well or river water would actually work far better than a clean water plant because we already have the equipment in place to suck up water from any source and keep all the big stuff out while filtering all the way down to 0.03 microns. No bacteria and virtually no viruses. A little UV redundant disinfection and a pinch of chlorine so it remains safe and you have 10,000 gallons a day of drinking water for as long as you need it. The system runs on single phase power using less than 5 Kw so a small generator can easily run it.

Don't know if we'll actually be asked to deliver but it would be interesting and maybe help a lot of people.

Comment

• TGTool
              • Aug 2005

If you are seeing good deals on used machines, you might also check that gearboxes are running on oil, not water. Check the electronics boxes for high water marks and minnows.
              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• aostling
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                ... No bacteria and virtually no viruses. A little UV redundant disinfection and a pinch of chlorine so it remains safe and you have 10,000 gallons a day of drinking water for as long as you need it. The system runs on single phase power using less than 5 Kw so a small generator can easily run it.
                This article describes the health hazards of Vibrio, a nasty organism which thrives along the Gulf Coast: https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hu...-water-n796791. The technology you describe would be able to filter that out, preventing a lot of misery.
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• JoeLee
                  • Aug 2009

I know this is probably scifi stuff but.................
                  You would think by now NASA or some one would have developed a way to break up and disperse a storm like this while it was developing out at sea before it reaches land.
                  Like a huge concussion bomb detonated in the eye of the storm.
                  OK, we'll now return to normal programming.

JL................

Comment

• CCWKen
                    • Jan 2003

It would probably take 100 or more nuclear bombs to disperse a storm like Harvey. The risk, besides nuclear fall out, is that the heat generated would make it worse. It might be more effective to drop millions of tons of dry-ice pellets to cool it down. Even then, the problem is getting the pellets to stay at the surface. Warm water is necessary to generate hurricanes. There's plenty of that in the Gulf. Before the storm, the surf temperature was 87* at Corpus Christi.

Comment

• Abner
                      • Dec 2009

Small business computers. Having lost access to my hard drive on my business machine running QB twice( I now keep that machine off the internet - no problems over 10 yrs+). It is a pain if your back up is 1 month old assuming you have access to your paper copies. How much soggy paper?
                      How much can you realistically load up in advance? Cash registers, phone systems, credit card machines, any sort of restaurant equipment, ovens, ranges, microwaves. Those big Hobart mixers used in pizza joints cost several thousand. Sanitizing what is salvageable, wow. Add unemployment to the destruction, this is a bad, bad situation.

Edit update: NWS is reporting rain falling at 2" an hour right now. 6:40 AM PST.

Dam's - One at 2" the other 3.5" from over flowing. Oh man, this is bad.
                      Last edited by Abner; 08-29-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• JoeLee
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                        It would probably take 100 or more nuclear bombs to disperse a storm like Harvey. The risk, besides nuclear fall out, is that the heat generated would make it worse. It might be more effective to drop millions of tons of dry-ice pellets to cool it down. Even then, the problem is getting the pellets to stay at the surface. Warm water is necessary to generate hurricanes. There's plenty of that in the Gulf. Before the storm, the surf temperature was 87* at Corpus Christi.
                        I remember seeing something on maybe Discover channel where scientists cold make it rain by dropping some kind of crystals in the clouds from above. Hopefully not far off in the future they will be able to control these storms.

JL...............

Comment

• RichR
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          I remember seeing something on maybe Discover channel where scientists cold make it rain by dropping some kind of crystals in the clouds from above. Hopefully not far off in the future they will be able to control these storms.

JL...............
                          It's called cloud seeding. I think it's done with something like silver iodide.

Comment

• J Tiers
                            • Jan 2004

Been around for decades, not done much, if at all.

Storms contain so much energy that you have to somehow dissipate, that it is almost surely impractical to really stop one once it gets going. That energy has to GO somewhere.
                            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• lynnl
                              • Jan 2002

Yeah, they were doing some cloud seeding in the Black Hills, in the vicinity of Rapid City, SD just prior to the big flash flood there in 1972.

Of course no cause and effect could be established, and the weather service said "no way Jose'." But I always wondered.

When you start tinkering around with nature you may well invoke those unintended consequences.
                              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                              X