X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loose nut
    • Sep 2006

30 day free CAD trial curiosity

Being a CAD user for many years I like to download new (as in annually) versions to see what is new, Usually not much. So I have the 30 day free trial of Autodesk Inventor. There is a count down clock on the top of the screen telling you how many days you have left and at the end of the countdown it shuts the program off. Mine doesn't change.

Now I rarely shut my computer off, preferring to leave it in standby mode, where the computer shuts down but leaves power to the RAM so that it starts up quickly just by touching the space bar. I rarely shut down Inventor, I just minimize it so it is ready to go when I need to use it.

Apparently the clock only changes when you shutdown the program/computer and then it resets when it starts up again. Mine was stuck at 29 days for a couple of weeks and then I had to shut it down to do windows software updates, it came back on at 10 days and there it has sat for over two weeks now, several days past the end of the trial.

So if you don't shutdown your computer/program, as in you don't care about windows updates etc., the power doesn't go off or some other malady befalls you, you can in theory have Inventor for free. Well, extended a couple of months is more realistic but if you can keep it going then maybe you could upgrade to the next years version. Who knows maybe the bug won't be fixed.

If this bothers you because you think it is piracy, it shouldn't your just using the program as it was sent to you. If they didn't want you to use it forever then they should have fixed the @#$!%^& program first.

Inventor - $3500
    Inventor Pro - $7500
    Getting it for free - Priceless

No really, priceless as in free.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada
  • RB211
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
    Being a CAD user for many years I like to download new (as in annually) versions to see what is new, Usually not much. So I have the 30 day free trial of Autodesk Inventor. There is a count down clock on the top of the screen telling you how many days you have left and at the end of the countdown it shuts the program off. Mine doesn't change.

Now I rarely shut my computer off, preferring to leave it in standby mode, where the computer shuts down but leaves power to the RAM so that it starts up quickly just by touching the space bar. I rarely shut down Inventor, I just minimize it so it is ready to go when I need to use it.

Apparently the clock only changes when you shutdown the program/computer and then it resets when it starts up again. Mine was stuck at 29 days for a couple of weeks and then I had to shut it down to do windows software updates, it came back on at 10 days and there it has sat for over two weeks now, several days past the end of the trial.

So if you don't shutdown your computer/program, as in you don't care about windows updates etc., the power doesn't go off or some other malady befalls you, you can in theory have Inventor for free. Well, extended a couple of months is more realistic but if you can keep it going then maybe you could upgrade to the next years version. Who knows maybe the bug won't be fixed.

If this bothers you because you think it is piracy, it shouldn't your just using the program as it was sent to you. If they didn't want you to use it forever then they should have fixed the @#$!%^& program first.

Inventor - $3500
    Inventor Pro - $7500
    Getting it for free - Priceless

No really, priceless as in free.
    Is Inventor 3500$ better than Fusion360? I know it's direct competition for Solidworks, but I don't find Solidworks superior to Fusion360, for what I do

Comment

• elf
      • May 2011

Did you read the EULA? It would fit the definition of piracy if the EULA states you can only use it for 30 days.

Comment

• RB211
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by elf View Post
        Did you read the EULA? It would fit the definition of piracy if the EULA states you can only use it for 30 days.
        Whats the program supposed to do? Turn itself off in the middle of a project? I think not. It only stops when you close it, for good reason.

Comment

• Bob La Londe
          • Jan 2014

I like Fusion360 for the HSM strategies in CAM. I still use that cute little "rock on a stick" CamBam for quick and dirty jobs.
          --
          Bob La Londe
          Professional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a "Real" machinist​
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

• J Tiers
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
            Whats the program supposed to do? Turn itself off in the middle of a project? I think not. It only stops when you close it, for good reason.
            Why would it not turn off in the middle? You are supposed to be "evaluating" it, not doing revenue projects.
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• RB211
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              Why would it not turn off in the middle? You are supposed to be "evaluating" it, not doing revenue projects.
              Good will towards a prospective customer????

Comment

• J Tiers
                • Jan 2004

Good will towards a prospective customer????
                Autodesk cares about that? News to me, news to most.
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• RB211
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  Autodesk cares about that? News to me, news to most.
                  Well apparently something's up, based on the programs behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• loose nut
                    • Sep 2006

It should have shut down, that is the normal behavior in the past.

Look guys I only posted this as a bit of the interesting and unusual, it will shut down before long if only because I will have to reboot the computer and that will kill it. Don't take things so seriously.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

• loose nut
                      • Sep 2006

Is Inventor 3500$ better than Fusion360? I know it's direct competition for Solidworks, but I don't find Solidworks superior to Fusion360, for what I do

I don't actually know how much they cost! That was put in for humour-ish.

Is it better then Fusion, that's like saying which is better apples or apple pie. Fusion is very much like Inventor, it probably is based on Inventor with some difference in the interface but Inventor can still do much more, most may not need those functions. Also Inventor has a built in parts library of over 750,000 items, it also has a design function that will "build" items, frame generators (structures), wiring and tubing generators and even do the engineering math, FEA etc for you, very handy for those that need it. Fusion doesn't have those functions yet. There is an Inventor HSM add on program available for those that need CAM. I don't do CAM so I can't say much about it.

Solidworks and Inventor may be in direct competition but I tried it ( Solidworks) once and wasn't impressed. It seems to be the automatic go to program for many but to me the interface was kind of cartoonish and I find Inventor much more intuitive.

To each his own.

P.S. Elf, has anyone read a EULA ever. All 75 to 150 pages,no. Doses anyone care whats in them, No.
                      Last edited by loose nut; 08-30-2017, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• kendall
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by loose nut View Post

P.S. Elf, has anyone read a EULA ever. All 75 to 150 pages,no. Doses anyone care whats in them, No.
                        Actually, I have read a lot of EULAs, and surprisingly, a whole crap load of things that people are adamant about not being allowed by the terms, are not even mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                        X