PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun: Drilling a hole with a shaper?

Doc Nickel
08-30-2017, 07:51 PM
I was reading the latest HSM magazine, and came to the end of the article about making Aloris-style dovetail tool blocks. The author suggested that, of one owned a shaper, the entire block could be made on one of those, save, of course, for the drilled holes.

The writer/humorist part of my brain automatically appended "if anyone figures out how to do that, I'd surely like to know." :D

And that got me thinking. How could you drill a hole with a shaper? Obviously any method used will be a cludge, a cobble and likely a catastrophe, we're assuming the "just for fun" part. "I did it just because I could", not because it's an easy, useful or even intelligent way. :)

So, presuming a hole of any reasonable size, through a decent thickness of plate, how would you do it?

Some suggestions: if the shaper is big and rigid enough, one could simply rig up a punch and die, at least for sheetmetal.

How about a Yankee drill? Affix the spindle end to the table, and the handle to the ram. You'd have to hand-hold an feed the metal, but it'd work. Maybe. Sort of. :D

You could 'cheat' and convert the reciprocating motion back to rotary, by, say, hooking a crank rod to the flywheel of an old post drill.

How about a rack-and-pinion, with a one-way clutch on the pinion, to turn a flywheel with an attached drill spindle?

Of course, you could also 'cheat' and just conventionally shape a concave notch out of a piece of tubing- the hole will wind up round(ish) as if it's been drilled... :)

What else? Bonus points of somebody finds a picture of somebody who has already done it.

Doc.

skunkworks
08-30-2017, 08:21 PM
I would cnc the shaper and mount a spindle... (nice rigid machine - something on my bucket list...)

Sam

wierdscience
08-30-2017, 08:41 PM
Mount a drill motor to the clapper,use the ram to position the drill and the table and knee to position the work.

JCHannum
08-30-2017, 08:43 PM
Yankee screwdrivers had drill bits as accessories. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to hook one up on the ram. Power tapping would present a challenge.

Paul Alciatore
08-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Drilling holes with a shaper?

As an old friend of mine used to say, "Rube would be proud!"

OK, I'll bite:

0. Set up a video camera so we can see the work in progress. I, for one, can't wait.
1. Make a bit (pin) of unobtainium. It's OD should be about 0.003" smaller than the hole size (YMMV).
2. Make a spring loaded holder for the bit that can attach in place of the clapper.
3. Obtain a 10K to 50K Volt power supply that is capable of at lease 10 Amps. 20 would be better.
4. Connect negative power supply lead to the vise that holds the work.
5. Connect positive power supply lead to the pin/bit. Do be careful, please.
6. Install a good grade of ear plugs in your ears.
7. Wear a welding apron - a good one, please.
8. Wear a welding helmet.
9. Turn on the power supply and the shaper.
10. Watch the fun - FROM A SAFE DISTANCE.

Doc Nickel
08-30-2017, 11:19 PM
An oversized and incredibly slow EDM. That's one idea I sure didn't think of. :D

Doc.

MattiJ
08-31-2017, 12:39 AM
An oversized and incredibly slow EDM. That's one idea I sure didn't think of. :D

Doc.

Paul's 20amp/50kV= 1000000 watt "EDM" is probably pretty fast but not very accurate ;)

What you NEED is sturdy, largish shaper. Lets say 500 or 1000 tons at ram ;)

After that anything up to 4" thickness looks like sheet metal. Small holes are more difficult but you should manage at least 2:1 lenght/diameter ratio.

Another alternative is to slighly increase the cutting speed to rely on kinetic energy on the ram.
Rheinmetall L/55 120 mm smoothbore tungsten ram accelerator is proven solution to drill 2" holes in up to 22" thick hardened steel. ;)
Downside is that the operation gets bit noisy once you increase the cutting speed.

JRouche
08-31-2017, 01:15 AM
Yankee screwdrivers had drill bits as accessories. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to hook one up on the ram. Power tapping would present a challenge.

Now we are thinking. I have 50-60 of the Yankee drills and hundreds of bits. And a shaper :) Now it has to be the drill, not the Yankee screwdrivers. I collect both.

The drills are about a five-six inch stroke before rewind. That gives even the largest shapers some wiggle room to retract. Short stroke and bingo, a hole drilled with a shaper.

And yes, they are wood bits. But.. There are so many options to use a good bit. JR

boslab
08-31-2017, 01:20 AM
Ok we're going mad, it's obvious, chem trails, aliens and Bigfoot have had thier way with us.
Being mostly there myself, mount a mirror on the shaper ram from a trumpf laser tube and burn a hole
But for the life of me I cannot conceive how you "drill" a hole with liner motion, to me drill means a rotary motion with a cutter designed to rotate, liner motion hole making is punching or piercing
Mark

Mark Rand
08-31-2017, 02:41 AM
If the Yankee drill has a spring to extend it, then one doesn't need a mount on the table or any hand feeding...

JRouche
08-31-2017, 03:21 PM
Dont make me mount this thing LOL!! JR

Ala JCHannum

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/HSM/drill.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Jrouche/media/HSM/drill.jpg.html)

A.K. Boomer
08-31-2017, 04:29 PM
If you mount it take a picture,,, no wait don't just kidding...

back On topic,

I remember when the professor (on gilligans island) tried to make spark plugs out of ground up sea shells as the insulator part, don't know if this helps...

are you stranded on an island with just this shaper?

epicfail48
08-31-2017, 07:10 PM
Dont make me mount this thing LOL!! JR

Ala JCHannum

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/HSM/drill.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Jrouche/media/HSM/drill.jpg.html)

Oh God, I will pay you for a video of that

JoeCB
08-31-2017, 08:59 PM
OK I'll bite... picking up on the Yankee screw driver idea, but getting serious. How about a setup using a long spiral flute center cutting end mill (or even a twist drill) run thru a plate with four lobe (or two lobe, for a twist drill). the work mounted on a spring loaded mount. Shaper ram runs the end mill back and forth. OR better yet... end mill fixed and lobed "bushing in a "box" run back and forth on the ram. feed the work in to the end mill. Yea' don't ask me to do the set-up.

Joe B

mickeyf
08-31-2017, 10:43 PM
More in keeping with it's natural movements... I have thought about using my shaper at high speed with a short stroke to mix naturally separated peanut butter, or paint. I have every reason to believe it would actually work.

Doc Nickel
09-01-2017, 12:00 AM
Well, I recall somebody on this board (or PM) mentioning a fellow who had set his shaper up to crush cans at a state fair type display. :D

Next up, how to turn your drill press into a shaper! :D

Doc.

Ian B
09-01-2017, 01:56 AM
Well, if you look at photos of Aciera or Deckel milling machines, it looks to me like they started life as a shaping machine, and someone said, "Hey, if we mount a vertical head on place of the clapperbox, we can drill holes with this thing. Even do a bit of milling" - and a legend was born...

Ian

oldtiffie
09-01-2017, 03:32 AM
Next question (answered) is:

"What is a "Yankee screwdriver"?""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_screwdriver

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=yankee+screwdriver+history&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2goLtu4PWAhXGjpQKHWbFAt8Q_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=719

The Artful Bodger
09-01-2017, 04:11 AM
More in keeping with it's natural movements... I have thought about using my shaper at high speed with a short stroke to mix naturally separated peanut butter, or paint. I have every reason to believe it would actually work.

If you are going to use it to mix paint do not attach spray cans to the head then leave it too long as the experience can be very messy. DNAHIK**

**Somebody told me about it on the Internet!

the professor
09-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Can't find it now, but maybe 20 years ago I remember seeing on google or one of the machinist forums pictures of a shaper with a vertical milling spindle and a nut and lead screw on the ram, creating a cheap poor mans hobbyist vertical mill. Also a hacksaw and a log splitter accessories.

SMFtooler
09-01-2017, 03:23 PM
A local Septic tank builder has been using a Shaper for years to bend rebar. I have seen photos of an old flat belt driven Shaper bending hot bars by a Blacksmith. As long as the Shaper does not know what you are doing with it, everything will be OK?

Norman Bain
09-01-2017, 06:11 PM
I'll bite to the challenge ... try this.

* Aim to "drill" a 100mm hole in a 50mm thick plate.
* Mount the plate at an angle to the ram and "scrape off" a portion of the surface.
* Rotate the plate and scrape off another portion of the surface.
* We are essentially scraping a wedge (eventually a cone) shaped hole into the surface.
* The tool may need to be quite sharp pointed to reduce build up at the tip.
* Eventually the emerging cone shape will break thru.
* Mount the plate normal to the required hole and clean up.