X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob La Londe
    • Jan 2014

10 lb Sledge s 3 lb Sledge

In my never ending search for interesting bits of salvage (kind of my hobby now - well one of them) I decided to break up the big pieces of concrete that were used as intertial dampers in that washing machine I tore apart a couple weekends ago. I'm no stranger to using a 10lb sledge (although not much in many years) nor a 3lb sledge. My hammer of choice most days is a 2lb machinists hammer or a plastic dead blow hammer, but I've been known to pick up the 3lb sledge to beat a part into submission.

Anyway, I took a couple blows at the concrete with 10 pounder and it was ok, but I just didn't have the control to deliver power vertically to the pieces while standing. I found that kneeling down on the floor I didn't have the balance and comfort to throw that long handled ten pounder around as easily as when standing. So... I picked up the 3 pounder I keep hanging over the back work bench next to the other hammers and gave it a couple whacks. The concrete broke nicely with little fly away and I quickly exposed the small web of... 1/4" rebar welded to the bolt plates embedded in the concrete. I didn't even know they made rebar that small.

So for those who would seek enlightenment. No. The answer is not always, "get a bigger hammer."

Maybe in the next weekend or two I'll make some mini tongs out of that mini rebar. LOL.
    --
    Bob La Londe
    Professional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a "Real" machinist​
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.
  • boslab
    • Dec 2007

6mm rebar is used a lot over here, lintels for Windows, 4x2"
    Mark

Comment

• JRouche
      • Aug 2004

And sometimes you need a 15 pounder I made this one 20+ years ago, back when I could actually swing it. Not anymore. Yes, thats a ball hitch on the handle. JR

Comment

• Mcostello
        • Apr 2001

Have a military surplus 16 pounder. It does not bounce when it hits concrete. SIL says Army has 24 pounders.
        mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

• boslab
          • Dec 2007

I seriously would not like to try the sledge test with that ( if you don't know what it is it consists of holding the sledge vertical at arms length, at the end of the shaft, then slowly lowering it till it touches your nose (while praying) then return it to vertical using wrist and straight arm, requires a bit of wrist strength!, ironworkers do some odd things.
          I've actually seen it done with a 16 pounder, mind Tommy was 6'8" and built like a brick ****ehouse, while he was doing it one of the guys branded his arse with a red hot sample lolly pop, he got a merciless beating with a cardboard dip tube that goes over the end of a temp probe before you stick it in the ladle, I don't think he thought his escape route through before the branding.
          Mark

Comment

• Bob La Londe
            • Jan 2014

I remember guys doing that when I was a "kid". When I was younger and stronger I could do it with my ten pounder. Doubt I could now.
            --
            Bob La Londe
            Professional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a "Real" machinist​
            I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

• HWooldridge
              • Jan 2006

I watched a foundation crew the other day using full circle swings with 10 lb sledges to drive stakes to attach the boards for concrete forms. One of the younger guys had worked at a carnival in Mexico and his job was to drive stakes every time they set up in a new location so he was pretty accurate. He started the swing with one hand then reached up and grabbed the handle with the off hand on the downstroke. His partner would hold the stake and the driver would hit it (damn hard, too) - only took 2-3 hits to drive it deep enough to hold 2x12's for the forms.

Comment

• Bob La Londe
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by HWooldridge View Post
                I watched a foundation crew the other day using full circle swings with 10 lb sledges to drive stakes to attach the boards for concrete forms. One of the younger guys had worked at a carnival in Mexico and his job was to drive stakes every time they set up in a new location so he was pretty accurate. He started the swing with one hand then reached up and grabbed the handle with the off hand on the downstroke. His partner would hold the stake and the driver would hit it (damn hard, too) - only took 2-3 hits to drive it deep enough to hold 2x12's for the forms.
                Dang. That is impressive. I've driven a stake or two (looked like a 3 foot long giant round head nail), but I never one handed a ten pounder with a full handle to do it. We did it with crews nice and easy. Usually one or two groups would hammer the stakes for the entire unit while others stretch canvas and assembled the sticks.
                --
                Bob La Londe

Comment

• boslab
                  • Dec 2007

I watched a real old film clip of, I was going to say blacksmiths but apparently they were chainsmiths according to the film, forge welding a huge chain, think titanic or great eastern anchor chain size, there were 4 or 5 hitting in rounds as fast as they could, no wonder the average age you "lived" to was 40 ish, brutal work, the coordination of the guys that can do it is awesome, interestingly women made chain too, they worked harder than I ever have, they called them ladysmiths, you wouldent win an arm wrestling contest with the smallest of them.
                  Mark

Comment

• Baz
                    • May 2013

They used to have 2 handled sledges in the foundries and the like. I think a lighter hammer can be swung more easily and faster so the kinetic energy ends up higher. So you could start with a small hammer and as you increase the weight the power you can deliver will go up then down again as it becomes too much for you (the peak depending on your strength).

Comment

• Illinoyance
                      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                      They used to have 2 handled sledges in the foundries and the like. I think a lighter hammer can be swung more easily and faster so the kinetic energy ends up higher. So you could start with a small hammer and as you increase the weight the power you can deliver will go up then down again as it becomes too much for you (the peak depending on your strength).

Sure like to see a photo of the 2 handled sledge.

I suspect Bob's problem is that he no longer has the strength to use a 10 lb. hammer effectively or he lacks the room to get a full swing.

I have seen a trend for framing carpenters to use lighter titanium hammers instead of the older 24 - 28 oz. steel framing hammers.

Comment

• HWooldridge
                        • Jan 2006

Comment

• HWooldridge
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
                          Dang. That is impressive. I've driven a stake or two (looked like a 3 foot long giant round head nail), but I never one handed a ten pounder with a full handle to do it. We did it with crews nice and easy. Usually one or two groups would hammer the stakes for the entire unit while others stretch canvas and assembled the sticks.
                          He would start the swing with the hammer head near his right foot (his right hand near the end of the handle) but it was sort of a full circle across his right side - hard to describe but it definitely wasn't a "raise the head and strike" motion.

You can learn a lot by watching native Mexican craftsmen use hand tools - some are true masters at whatever craft they practice. I've seen masons creating majestic brick and stone work but they are just working to finish that job and get onto the next one. Nothing is signed so there isn't an easy way to give credit where it's due.

Comment

• Black Forest
                            • Jan 2010

This is what my wife uses to keep me in line.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                            X