PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is there anything more annoying...

epicfail48
09-14-2017, 11:52 PM
Than breaking a tap you have to have to go anywhere in a project? Even better when said tap size (4-40) may as well be a bloody unicorn for how easy it is to find in my area, Im pretty well limited to Lowes and Home Depot if i want somewhere thats open when im off work. Good thing i have to be up at the crack of dawn to get to Grainger tomorrow anyway...

09-15-2017, 12:13 AM
Don't get your taps atvthe first place, I bet it a big part of your problem.
My theory is a lot of cheap taps are brittle..

JRouche
09-15-2017, 12:21 AM
Haha. I know the hurt. Well, you are
epicfail so.... Those lil 40s can be snapped in a moment. I have some that will bend before snapping, some that will cut very well but dont side load them and some that are not really much more than thread chasers.

Taps break with side loads.

I have broke all three in the 40mm size. JR

CalM
09-15-2017, 12:57 AM
Haha. I know the hurt. Well, you are
epicfail so.... Those lil 40s can be snapped in a moment. I have some that will bend before snapping, some that will cut very well but dont side load them and some that are not really much more than thread chasers.

Taps break with side loads.

I have broke all three in the 40mm size. JR

I always drill the 'next larger" than suggested drill size for any small hole taps.

Heck, those threads are fragile anyway, and less than 90% full thread doesn't change things much at all. I'm happy with 60%. (and no broken taps!)

OSG is a good three letter word to remember. ;-)

MattiJ
09-15-2017, 01:00 AM
Than breaking a tap you have to have to go anywhere in a project? Even better when said tap size (4-40) may as well be a bloody unicorn for how easy it is to find in my area, Im pretty well limited to Lowes and Home Depot if i want somewhere thats open when im off work. Good thing i have to be up at the crack of dawn to get to Grainger tomorrow anyway...
Its only job half done if you haven't topped the hole with broken carbide drill yet! :D

Black Forest
09-15-2017, 01:21 AM
There is definitely something more annoying. Your thread title.

Arcane
09-15-2017, 03:39 AM
Maybe not more annoying but equally annoying was yesterday when I chipped the tip off the corner of a brand new 3/16" carbide endmill all through my own stupidity.

epicfail48
09-15-2017, 04:09 AM
Scratch that, there is something more annoying (that isn't the thread title); the power substation feeding your house catching fire and blowing up.

Joyous times!

MattiJ
09-15-2017, 04:41 AM
Scratch that, there is something more annoying (that isn't the thread title); the power substation feeding your house catching fire and blowing up.

Joyous times!

You live up to your nick name :D

vpt
09-15-2017, 09:16 AM
If the tap breaks only half way down I will sometimes sharpen then end to a point on the grinder and try to relief cut the flutes a bit and keep using it to get the job done. Works many times, other times it won't.

Puckdropper
09-15-2017, 11:43 AM
I buy my 1/8" end mills in 10 packs, I probably should do the same for taps. Just fish the old one out and pop in a new one. (It's lots of fun! You guys just can't believe how enjoyable it is! It's really particular work, though, I'm not sure if you can do it to Aunt Polly's standards. My aunt wants it done in just the right way, best do it myself... Sincerely, Tom)

Order more when you get down to 4.

Illinoyance
09-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Even before I got old and shaky I kept the T handle chuck a bit loose on the tap. The idea was that if my hands wobbled a little there was a little clearance for movement and I might not snap the tap. I am also careful to scrap the dull taps.

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-15-2017, 12:13 PM
Certainty more annoying things.. Like when I found my 10 yr old son using my solid carbide drill bit kit ( > $1K++) instead of his HSS drill bit kit for his projects. How I make sure I keep stuff like that in special places :)

Dave C
09-15-2017, 12:27 PM
I received a new carbide cut off blade in the mail and while opening the package the blade slid out of the wrapper and bounced off the concrete floor. Missed the rubber mat by an inch. Had to grind 1/8" off the carbide tip to get past the chip.

epicfail48
09-15-2017, 02:37 PM
You live up to your nick name :D

Hey, it wasn't me who set fire to the substation! I failed nothing, blame that one on SGFFD

John Garner
09-15-2017, 06:45 PM
JRouche --

You're breaking 40 millimeter hand taps while operating them by hand? I bet the neighborhood tough guys all call you SIR!

John

RWO
09-16-2017, 01:22 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was power tapping on the BP using a 4-40 forming tap in some aluminum. All was going well until the tap hit the bottom of the hole ( it wasn't as deep as I thought). Snapped the tap off at the surface. Fortunately, I have an Omega drill set. So I chucked up the recommended Omega drill(.078") and it went down thru the center of the tap pretty easily. Now what? I still have a broken tap in the hole, but it is now hollow. The minor dia. of 4-40 thread is about .085". I didn't have a .085" carbide drill, so I ordered one from MSC. It removed the remaining tap body and a regular spiral point steel tap cleaned out the threads leaving them a little battered, but usable. Whew! that was close.

RWO

mudnducs
09-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Its only job half done if you haven't topped the hole with broken carbide drill yet! :D

;) ;) ;)