PDA

View Full Version : O/T: Calling Australia is expensive. I had no idea.

JRouche
09-20-2017, 11:36 PM
Do many of our members make international calls? I never do till I needed to call Australia from the US today. My phone company (frontier) charges .70c a minute. Yikes!!! Wont do that again.

How the heck do you jet setters :) make international calls that are affordable please??? Thanks, JR

P.S. Mr. Bulliss. Does the new software pack come with a spell check for the Title: yet :) I got in the habit of copying my text and placing it in a spell checker. Or even easier place it in my Narrative section for spell checking.

I had Austrailia in my Title:

Bob La Londe
09-20-2017, 11:44 PM
I email all my Australian customers, but if its a big job and we need to sort something out quick I just bite the bullet for the charges.

JRouche
09-20-2017, 11:49 PM
I email all my Australian customers, but if its a big job and we need to sort something out quick I just bite the bullet for the charges.

Yup, same here. Never had to call yet. As it turns out the other party had medical issues. So it had to be a voice confirmation of an order. JR

lakeside53
09-21-2017, 12:03 AM
Use a prepaid "dial around" access number.

http://www.dialaroundworld.com/1010.html Australia 1.5c a minute.

Post paid (dial the 888 number first) - 5-6c per minute.

Hundreds of other choices.

If your call terminates on a cell phone... 2-5X more expensive.

09-21-2017, 12:15 AM
70 cents a minute ? I am not seeing an issue unless someone asked you to teach them single point threading on your dime.
It cost more than that to call from Seattle to Vancouver on a payphone thru my phone card ..10 years ago..

09-21-2017, 12:19 AM
Now I must admit paying a buck to put air in my tires, seems expensive. .

dave_r
09-21-2017, 12:57 AM
lots of voip solutions for a lot less, as well as things like SkypeOut (on your computer, you talk into your mic/listen on speakers, or you can use a headset, other end receives their call on their regular phone). Or if the other side also has a computer, just use skype or facetime for free (there's a whole bunch of either voice-only or voice+video solutions)...

Black Forest
09-21-2017, 07:10 AM
I call all over the world on my cell phone. The convenience of that outweighs the expense in my case. When possible I use Whatsapp on my cell phone then it doesn't cost me or the other party anything. The limiting factor being I have to be connected to my WiFI to use Whatsapp.

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Think of it this way, it's a lot cheaper than a 1st class seat on a flight over there to talk to your customer(s). Especially if you also use the air-phone on the plane to let them know you're on your way. :cool:

_Paul_
09-21-2017, 11:00 AM
You can make (voip) calls to other countries using Whatsapp (https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/28000016/?category=5245237) with no phone company charges.

"WhatsApp Calling lets you call your friends and family using WhatsApp for free, even if they’re in another country. Currently, WhatsApp Calling is available on Android, iPhone, Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10.WhatsApp Calling uses your phone’s Internet connection rather than your cellular plan’s voice minutes. Data charges may apply."

DR
09-21-2017, 11:01 AM
At one time I was searching for certain special interest technical books. England was a good source, postal rates were inexpensive and speed of delivery to the states was always a surprise. Australia was also a good source....EXCEPT for the postal rates. I had to pass on a number of hard to find titles because of the postal fees, like forty bucks for a medium size book.

mattthemuppet
09-21-2017, 01:22 PM
skype credit - prepay $10 (or maybe $20) into your account, then it costs 2.3c/min to Australian landlines and 10c/min to cell phones. Skype to skype is free, but can glitch, whereas we never had a problem with skype to actual phones.

flylo
09-21-2017, 04:39 PM
37 years ago I met my future wife at my Grandmothers funeral & had to marry her as I was spending around $400 a month on the phone & if I recall it was about 30 cents a minute.

JRouche
09-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Great advice, great stories. Thanks. He was late with a delivery and no-ack re: email so I called. He says he had a stroke and would be late. I said ok.

In the early 80's I was in Hong Kong and had to call the US. Stupid me used the hotel pay phone. 10 bucks a minute!! That was a fast call :) JR

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-21-2017, 05:55 PM
Great advice, great stories. Thanks. He was late with a delivery and no-ack re: email so I called. He says he had a stroke and would be late. I said ok.

In the early 80's I was in Hong Kong and had to call the US. Stupid me used the hotel pay phone. 10 bucks a minute!! That was a fast call :) JR

Yea but $10 Hong Kong dollars is only $1.28 US dollar :)

http://www.x-rates.com/table/?from=HKD&amount=1

JRouche
09-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Yea but $10 Hong Kong dollars is only $1.28 US dollar :)

http://www.x-rates.com/table/?from=HKD&amount=1

LOL.. It wasnt funny money. Its was US denaro.. JR

Baz
09-21-2017, 07:32 PM
My recollection is 3 per minute UK>USA when that was equivalent to 30 in today's money. We used a USA computer bureau service for certain electronic calculations using a teletype and modem for hours a day. In the evenings people snuck into the terminal room to phone distant relatives. Occasional international calls had to be booked with high level manager authorisation so it was mostly telex before they invented fax. The telex office had real girls who were less stuffy than the secretaries so young engineers didn't mind being sent to check if anything had come in.

In my childhood phone to Africa just didn't exist but in emergencies the London head office said they could try and get a telex through to my father. However there were two flights a week by modern Britannia turboprops which could do the 12 hours flying in just 2 hops so an airmail letter typically only took 3 days which was such an advance on the Elder Dempster Steamers' 3 weeks. Move on 60 years and my nephew in Oz video chats home on Skype for less than the cost of a stamp.

wombat2go
09-21-2017, 07:36 PM
I did a brief visit to Australia last week.
A glass of beer and a litre of petrol (gasoline) are about 3 X the price of here in Michigan,
as the Aussie$ is strong now.

And electricity prices are rising.
It looks like ( in my opinion from reading) the zeal for going off coal fired electricity in Australia
has coincided with the wear-out of two larger coal fired generation plants (Hazelwood and Liddell).
So some problems are developing.

As an aside, I used to live near the Hazelwood plant years ago when we were water skiers.
At that time the cooling pond was open to water skiers.
So we could ski in the cool evenings, it was like a warm bath.
For bare foot skiing, warm water is nice because the viscosity of water is lower as the temperature rises.
We used to call it 'Paddy-Paws" water.