X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IanPendle
    • Nov 2010

Work holding arbour ideas video from Joe Piecynski

As per title, some interesting ideas (and details) for lathe work holding from Joe Pie. IMHO he's one of the better Youtube machinists - good ideas, content and presentation from a no bullsh*t machinist who knows what he is talking about and doesn't talk too much. Only 14 minutes and well worth a look.

This video will show you a device called an expansion arbor. It works well for holding inside a part bore for second op machining on a lathe. You think you'v...

Ian.
  • MattiJ
    • Dec 2016

The expanding O-ring trick was something I haven't seen before. That one I have to remember

Comment

• lugnut
      • Sep 2004

Thanks for the link. I could have use the "O"ring trick a few weeks back. Now I have a link bookmarked for future use.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
      Oregon Coast

Comment

• MattiJ
        • Dec 2016

Any guesses how heavy cut you can take on the O-ring mounted piece?

Me thinks that its more than you would guess at first sight if the supporting mandrel is close fit and the assembly is torqued enough tight.

Comment

• smithdoor
          • Nov 2007

This is what I use

I have same set over 40 years from 3/8" [9.5mm] to 3 3/4" [95mm] still works great today

Dave

Last edited by smithdoor; 10-13-2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• J Tiers
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by smithdoor View Post
            This is what I use

I have same set over 40 years from 3/8" [9.5mm] to 3 3/4" [95mm] still works great today

Dave

Those are good. But not so useful when the part has no through hole. That is the good part about the video arbors.

Of course you could make an arbor similar to yours which COULD work with a blind hole, by putting a screw up the middle and a nut type expanding section. It would not cover the same wide range.
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• MichaelP
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by smithdoor View Post
              This is what I use

Dave
              I don't know what amazes me more, the fact that you bought it right when the HF opened or the fact that anything from HF worked for 40 years. Please confirm that you just used the link for demonstration purposes.

I use the same type of expanding arbor and the regular expanding stubs. But the O-ring idea and, especially, the back feeding of the screw are excellent.
              Mike
              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
                • May 2002

His arbors look great and I am sure I will remember that O-ring technique.

IIRC, he does not show them on the lathe in the video. I do wonder weather he is using them in a collet or in a chuck. In either case, I would think that a longer shank length on the arbor would help keep it on axis. And that would help in making a heavier cut. That's was my thought as I watched it. Am I wrong here?
                Paul A.​
                s​
                Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• smithdoor
                  • Nov 2007

They are K O LEE
                  Works great
                  I think if over 40 years I had only one or two times I need a blind type and just a 3 jaw chuck and a center in tail stock

Dave

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                  I don't know what amazes me more, the fact that you bought it right when the HF opened or the fact that anything from HF worked for 40 years. Please confirm that you just used the link for demonstration purposes.

I use the same type of expanding arbor and the regular expanding stubs. But the O-ring idea and, especially, the back feeding of the screw are excellent.

Comment

• LKeithR
                    • Sep 2011

Neat ideas but pretty time consuming to make. Depending on the application my first choice if I had something like that
                    to machine would be to run it between centres. Quick and dirty and it would be more concentric than running on an arbour
                    that's held in a 3-jaw. If concentricity of ID to OD isn't critical then it doesn't matter.

There are a whole range of expanding arbours available online if you look. Best would probably be a 5C setup running in
                    a collet chuck--you could achieve excellent accuracy with this combo. Another option is a precision ground mandrel--also
                    very accurate and simple to use...

KAR Industrial Inc. has long been recognized as a leading supplier of machine tool accessories, cutting tools and manufacturing related supplies. KAR has spent many years positioning itself as a master distributor serving distribution throughout Canada and it all began in 1954 in Montreal, Quebec.

Over 60 years in the business, with warehouses located in Warren, Michigan and Tulsa, Oklahoma. Place your order now via phone, fax, or the web at www.wttool.
                    Keith

Comment

• J Tiers
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                      His arbors look great and I am sure I will remember that O-ring technique.

IIRC, he does not show them on the lathe in the video. I do wonder weather he is using them in a collet or in a chuck. In either case, I would think that a longer shank length on the arbor would help keep it on axis. And that would help in making a heavier cut. That's was my thought as I watched it. Am I wrong here?
                      Had the same thought. In a collet it would not matter much. In a chuck ir could.

I assume he intends use in a collet, since the aluminum arbor (looks aluminum anyhow, I didn't have the sound up) would get marked up quite a bit in a chuck, not so much in a collet.
                      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• BCRider
                        • Dec 2015

The Oring trick is sweet because as he shows it's not size critical. The "other" elastomeric method would be to use a short length of gas like or rad hose or similar. But those options won't stretch to some oddball size in the same way as the O rings.

Keith, they might take a lot longer to make. But if one needs the job done and has no expanding arbor by the time one orders it in and waits for shipment they could easily have made the arbor and had the job done for days before the package arrives.... of course this is in a HOME shop. Commercial shops should have enough other work to do that they can set the one job aside in favor of others. In that case it's a whole other situation.
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• Machine
                          • Dec 2011

I'm no machinist, but I would think that as long as the o-ring is dry and the inner bore of whatever is being machined is also dry and free of oil, then the friction between the piece and the o-rings would be much more than the simple metal-to-metal contact of a typical arbor. This means you would need much less internal expansive force to achieve the same driving torque to the piece being worked. Which "in turn" means a relatively thin/fragile piece would be less likely to distort during the machining process.

Comment

• Erich
                            • Apr 2017

Except for the arbor for blind holes, they can be turned to size after mounting in the 3 jaw. Perfect concentricity.
                            Even that one could be done with a really long allen wrench through the spindle.

Comment

Working...
                            X