PDA

View Full Version : OT: Has Firefox "updated you" yet? Do you like it?

J Tiers
11-14-2017, 11:49 AM
They updated me today, and blew away my commonly used bookmarks entirely. So much for being easier to use and faster.

I would be OK with the faster, but it would have been more polite to leave the user choice items in the same condition as before. or allow the user to say "no thanks, I'll update later"

Alibre has had several recent updates, and when they did the updates, all my selections remained the same.... with old updates under the prior companies, I was often tossed back into using the "ribbon", but the "new Alibre" did not do that.

The Firefox people should take a lesson from that. And also it would be nice to have a choice to put off the update, in case a person has something they need to deal with NOW, and do not want an entirely new interface to learn, instead of doing what they needed to do.

They said it was to suit "how you use the web today". Well today I use it just like I did yesterday.... or try to, as I learn the new locations for everything that they decided to spring on me today.

wombat2go
11-14-2017, 12:03 PM
In edit > preferences > down toward the bottom of page you can
select your update preferences.
I am 56.0.2 and 57 is available (linux).

Here is how to find your bookmarks and preferences:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

3 Phase Lightbulb
11-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Turn off automatic updates. It was a checkbox when you initially installed mozilla/firefox. Since you now changed your mind and want it off, go into settings and take care of it.

J Tiers
11-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Turn off automatic updates. It was a checkbox when you initially installed mozilla/firefox. Since you now changed your mind and want it off, go into settings and take care of it.

Who says I "changed my mind?"

I actually DID at one time have it not update automatically, but it obviously was automatically changed to a default of "yes please do it" at some point during an update that was allowed.

And, it has been fine doing auto updates, they have not disturbed anything big, up to this point.

The issue here is not the auto update, but the surprise package of "we changed everything, you're gonna love it" that was suddenly applied, with no warning. I'd prefer that such a large change be announced so that people could defer it if they needed to.

Seems like common courtesy.... but programmers are not known for mastery of the social graces.....

3 Phase Lightbulb
11-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Who says I "changed my mind?"

I actually DID at one time have it not update automatically, but it obviously was automatically changed to a default of "yes please do it" at some point during an update that was allowed.

And, it has been fine doing auto updates, they have not disturbed anything big, up to this point.

The issue here is not the auto update, but the surprise package of "we changed everything, you're gonna love it" that was suddenly applied, with no warning. I'd prefer that such a large change be announced so that people could defer it if they needed to.

Seems like common courtesy.... but programmers are not known for mastery of the social graces.....

It's open source software. You're encouraged to go ahead and change it if you like.

J Tiers
11-14-2017, 01:14 PM
It's open source software. You're encouraged to go ahead and change it if you like.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

That's a really good one. I like it.

Let the shoemaker stick to his last......

dave_r
11-14-2017, 01:47 PM
I've been updating FF as they release it (manually, not automatically, on MacOSX) and the only problem I've had with it every once in awhile is when FF is launched, it appears to sometimes have some problem with loading all the tabs I have open (and are set to re-open when the app is launched). It just sits there with a bunch of open, blank tabs, all in the process of loading, but not actually doing it. I have to force-quit the app, and then relaunch it, and it will work fine...

Puckdropper
11-14-2017, 02:01 PM
Have you looked at Pale Moon? It's like Firefox (derived from the same code) but was built to avoid some of the changes Firefox was making.

danlb
11-14-2017, 02:13 PM
I usually don't complain about free software. If I want it to do something in a certain way, I usually contact the project and campaign for the changes. Giving back to the project is one of the cornerstones of open software.

I do, however, feel free to complain about software that I have purchased. Especially vexing is when they release software with known flaws. Worse is when they make me pay for an "upgrade" that should fix the flaws, but does not. Even worse is when they stop supporting the version I use while it still has the version 1.0 flaws.

Dan

J Tiers
11-14-2017, 02:48 PM
The "project" folks presumably think they have done the best and greatest thing. It is unlikely that they would be influenced by a small group of folks who do not agree.

Better to just fade away and use something else that you like better, if you can find it.

Besides.... usually, as may turn out in this case, the changes are such that they can be dealt with, at least, and at best may really HAVE some better features. It is not the old deal of "why do they have to keep changing it".... Most of the changes have been fairly minor, and may have been better.

No. the issue is that at least when these more major changes have been made, it would be a good idea to allow folks to defer the update so that they can do whatever thing they wanted to do right then, and get the update later. Nagware that requires being deferred again would be fine.

Some of the AV software DOES do that, and it is quite nice that they do. lets you choose when you want to have your setup all messed up. It can't be that hard to do such a pop-up window, and it would be preferable to having a new layout unexpectedly appear and need to be figured out before the thing can be used.

I had one way of accessing most all of my BBS, and now that is gone, possibly moved, but not to where I can find it easily. I will have to find many of them again, although the list of sites that I access most often is still there, many sites are not on it, although they were all arranged in a section of the bookmarks that was moved.

chipmaker4130
11-14-2017, 03:02 PM
I didn't like it and they gave me a choice to go with an 'extended support version' (52.4.1 ESR - 32bit) for another year, keeping all my add-ons and other preferences. That's what I did.

J Tiers
11-14-2017, 03:12 PM
I didn't like it and they gave me a choice to go with an 'extended support version' (52.4.1 ESR - 32bit) for another year, keeping all my add-ons and other preferences. That's what I did.

Lucky you.... Was that before or after the "upgrade"?

wombat2go
11-14-2017, 03:14 PM
Hi JT,
In case it is of any use, the Firefox bookmarks are in a file called
"places.sqlite"
That is in linux and I guess the same name is used on other platforms too,
although the directory path will be different
So you could search for that with your file manager.
To open the db you will need a db browser "sqlite manager" or similar.
Or maybe Excel will open it too.

At best you might be able to re-instate the file .
Or else you can extract the URLs to help create your new bookmarks.

Edit: also look here:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/964049

J Tiers
11-14-2017, 03:17 PM
Hi JT,
In case it is of any use, the Firefox bookmarks are in a file called
"places.sqlite"
That is in linux and I guess the same name is used on other platforms too,
although the directory path will be different

The name is different in MSW, IIRC it is "bookmarks.htm".

I expect they are still in existence..... they just got moved, maybe the symbol for them was changed to something that "would be more universally understood", etc.

When I get the urge, I will use the tried and true "squirrel method" which should do the job OK.

danlb
11-14-2017, 03:21 PM
The "project" folks presumably think they have done the best and greatest thing. It is unlikely that they would be influenced by a small group of folks who do not agree.

I disagree. When I was maintaining open source software, we incorporated any reasonable ideas. That's how the software gets better. If you want to see what's coming, try the release notes from the firefox site.

Better to just fade away and use something else that you like better, if you can find it.

Besides.... usually, as may turn out in this case, the changes are such that they can be dealt with, at least, and at best may really HAVE some better features.

Ahhh. Good advice. I guess this thread is sort of useless then. You know what happened. You knew that auto updates were enabled (because there have been a ton of them this year). You don't want to give feedback to the project. Better to just fade away and use something else. :)

J Tiers
11-14-2017, 03:30 PM
Your advice is good BEFORE THE FACT.

Once it is done, it is what it is, and most organizations will not change back without a fight by the folks who are "fully invested" in it.

Actually changing to something else is reserved for cases where the new version is too nasty to deal with, since you won't even know you like an alternative until and unless you learn the alternative program, which was what you were trying to avoid needing to do to begin with.

In this case, it is just the "we are now forcing you to waste an hour finding all the stuff we moved without telling you we were going to" deal. Not necessarily the change, but how it was implemented.

fjk
11-14-2017, 03:36 PM
I keep my favorite urls in a file called mystuff.html
<ol>
<li><a href="http://foo.bar.com" target="_blank">foo.bar</a>
</ol>

Made it my home page
And never had a problem with upgrades or browser versions since when Berners-Lee was a clever sysadmin at CERN
:-)

wombat2go
11-14-2017, 03:41 PM
The name is different in MSW, IIRC it is "bookmarks.htm".

OK.
I think it is called "places.sqlite" in windows, refer here for the path:
https://superuser.com/questions/111998/how-do-i-repair-a-corrupted-firefox-places-sqlite-database#436077

Also, if you see a file in the same dir called "places.sqlite-journal", it will cause the sqlite db to be locked.
Normally the application that accessed the db is supposed to delete this file when access is finished, so it can be accessed again.
I have seen this problem where the application closed unexpectedly and it is cured by deleting the -journal
See here for example :
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12906867/journal-files-in-sqlite

chipmaker4130
11-14-2017, 03:47 PM
I think you can get the 52.4.1ESR version here:https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.4.1esr/
It allows you to keep your add-ons/plug-ins, and operates on a separate update channel so as to not screw you up for at least a year. Here is a link to the 32 bit .zip file: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.4.1esr/firefox-52.4.1esr.win32.sdk.zip, the 64 bit version is:https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.4.1esr/firefox-52.4.1esr.win64.sdk.zip
And there is more info here:https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/52.4.1/releasenotes/

3 Phase Lightbulb
11-14-2017, 03:51 PM
Just use telnet and completely eliminate the bothersome feature bloat issue.

Cuttings
11-14-2017, 04:03 PM
Mine just updated so I a had a bit of a look around.
Everything appears to be still there, just in different places and accessed a little differently.
I like some of the new features. It will take a bit of getting used to.
As they say it it completely new.

dbq49er
11-14-2017, 04:18 PM
In other blogs they notified me that Today was the date of release. I went and backed up my bookmarks as usual, just in case. When the upgrade notice came today, they asked IF I wanted to upgrade. You have a choice. You had to click on the "download" button to start the process. Having backed up my bookmarks, I was prepared and I switched. Yes the top looks a little different but the bookmarks are ALL still there. I have not checked each bookmark for it's contents, again I can reload from my back up if I need to. Again you had a choice, I even could have loaded a beta version two weeks ago but I had no need then. Sorry for your loss, but go back to your back up bookmarks and relaod.

J Tiers
11-14-2017, 06:54 PM
In other blogs they notified me that Today was the date of release. I went and backed up my bookmarks as usual, just in case. When the upgrade notice came today, they asked IF I wanted to upgrade. You have a choice. You had to click on the "download" button to start the process. Having backed up my bookmarks, I was prepared and I switched. Yes the top looks a little different but the bookmarks are ALL still there. I have not checked each bookmark for it's contents, again I can reload from my back up if I need to. Again you had a choice, I even could have loaded a beta version two weeks ago but I had no need then. Sorry for your loss, but go back to your back up bookmarks and relaod.

NO there was NO CHOICE. You probably had the "ask first" set, which I USED to have set, apparently, but not this time. All I got was the notice of "wait a bit we are updating". One of the recent updates reset my choices. I set it back to that, but the horse was already out the door.

As I said, I do not think they are REALLY GONE, but they have changed the access , and maybe the icon, so I have only found a few of the regular things so far.

In any case, even if you had the choice, you would not know in advance what it was going to do. THAT is the issue.... Give a warning that things are gonna be way different, and that you may want to wait to update if you need to do something now.

The worst thing about it was that I was using the little tablet, and it is just a hair too small to be easy to use to begin with, so with some of the new stuff, I just could not finger-select it, and did not have a stylus pen handy (not that they work that well).

On the big laptop, it was easier to work with, and that's how I found some of the stuff.

tom_d
11-14-2017, 07:00 PM
I just updated mine,a Windows7 Professional 64bit desktop, and everything works fine so far. Some things have been moved, most notable the "home" key in the toolbar, and the tabs have a different look. They are now black with white script. The bookmarks are all there, only change is in the appearance of the small folder icons.

Joe_B
11-14-2017, 07:32 PM
Embedded youtube video's are messed up. Ones from youtube directly play fine.

dbq49er
11-14-2017, 08:18 PM
NO there was NO CHOICE. You probably had the "ask first" set, which I USED to have set, apparently, but not this time. All I got was the notice of "wait a bit we are updating". One of the recent updates reset my choices. I set it back to that, but the horse was already out the door.

As I said, I do not think they are REALLY GONE, but they have changed the access , and maybe the icon, so I have only found a few of the regular things so far.

In any case, even if you had the choice, you would not know in advance what it was going to do. THAT is the issue.... Give a warning that things are gonna be way different, and that you may want to wait to update if you need to do something now.

The worst thing about it was that I was using the little tablet, and it is just a hair too small to be easy to use to begin with, so with some of the new stuff, I just could not finger-select it, and did not have a stylus pen handy (not that they work that well).

On the big laptop, it was easier to work with, and that's how I found some of the stuff.

Don't tell me NO! I got an email from Firefox stating I could upgrade now. And you read the rest already. No preferences settings nothing. It is my story and I am sticking to it!!

metalmagpie
11-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Jerry, it's easy to roll back to a previous version of FF.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox

J Tiers
11-14-2017, 08:47 PM
Jerry, it's easy to roll back to a previous version of FF.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox

But I don't need to.....

I am mostly irritated because they did not tell me they were going to really tear up the pea patch. And their prior update had evidently turned off the "ask first" selection

I've let them update before no issues, and it has always been usable. This time, they changed so much, plus I was really wanting to get something dealt with and not screw with a new version, nor even with rolling it back.....

danlb
11-14-2017, 09:01 PM
Not for Jerry, but for those who are concerned about future versions of Firefox, you can read the release notes before they release the newest versinons. Just go to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/ and check out the "changenotes".

Dan

J Tiers
11-14-2017, 10:06 PM
Not for Jerry, but for those who are concerned about future versions of Firefox, you can read the release notes before they release the newest versinons. Just go to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/ and check out the "changenotes".

Dan

57, the last one on the list, is the current version, and is the last set of info available about any new releases. Not surprising, as this IS the new release, and this was "zero day" for it. So there is no newer one in the offing. At least not until the inevitable set of patches come out, as they did twice for V56. There are some "unresolved issues" listed, but they are of limited scope.

How long in advance do they put those up? I have no idea, and, frankly, it makes little difference, except they DID say they had revamped the interface to a "clean, modern interface". That's tech talk for "we changed everything, and probably hid the stuff you are looking for"......:)

GNM109
11-14-2017, 10:41 PM
I updated today and it works fine. It does seem faster. I backed up my bookmarks into an HTML file but it didn't affect them. Other than slightly faster it seems the same. OK by me.

QSIMDO
11-14-2017, 10:55 PM
If it removes bookmarks I'm screwed.

I think the only way to "back up" is to discs?
That's how I did it once maybe a year ago.

Is the another way to do it or does it turn out nothing really happens to bookmarks?
Win 7

GNM109
11-14-2017, 11:17 PM
If it removes bookmarks I'm screwed.

I think the only way to "back up" is to discs?
That's how I did it once maybe a year ago.

Is the another way to do it or does it turn out nothing really happens to bookmarks?
Win 7

Go to Firefox History. Click on Show All Bookmarks. Then click on Import and Backup. Click on Export Bookmarks to HTML. You can save the Bookmark HTML file to a folder of your choosing.

That said, as mentioned above, it didn't bother my bookmarks when I updated.

KJ1I
11-14-2017, 11:32 PM

Dan

Except the release notes say "A redesigned interface with a clean, modern appearance, consistent visual elements, and optimizations for touch screens" instead of "A redesigned interface that is BUTT UGLY and will make it twice as hard to perform the tasked you are used to doing."

kendall
11-15-2017, 12:50 AM
Oddly, FF updated while I was reading this thread.
In my case my bookmarks and passwords seem to have been moved over fine.

polaraligned
11-15-2017, 06:33 AM
If your bookmarks were on the bookmark toolbar, make sure it is turned on or you will not see them.

You also need to click on the bookmark icon in the top right, then click on bookmarks then bookmarking tools then show bookmarking tool from menu. That will allow you to access the old drop down bookmarking menu. Mine was turned off after the upgrade.

QSIMDO
11-15-2017, 09:04 AM
After reading this thread last night I made sure the "notify me" box for updates was clicked.

Yeah, well, too damn bad for me regarding what I want!

Lit off this morning and as I was looking at emails I noticed Firefox was updating!!

Fears unfounded though as I could access bookmarks from upper left, then I did as polaraligned suggested and all is well.

"...nothing to fear but fear itself!".

CPeter
11-15-2017, 09:05 AM
56 was bad enough, but 57 was a total disaster as far as my addons go. I went back to 56 and turned off the automatic updates. Hopefully that setting holds. I tried to update my "legacy" extensions, but there were no new "WE" versions for most of them. I'll wait and see it the extension developers update their extensions to the "WE" format, hopefully they do. Been using Firefox since it was a beta Phoenix browser. Tried Chrome, Opera, IE, Edge, and who knows whar else. I have loaded "Pale Moon" and that looks like it has real possibilities.
CPeter

GNM109
11-15-2017, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure why you folks are having trouble with the latest Firefox update. In my case, the update was optional. I received an email with a link suggesting that I try their new update. I did and it's great!

It's noticeably faster in moving from site to site and page to page within a site. What's not to like?

For the record (That's a legal term), I've tried all of the other browsers that I could find at one time or another in the past years since I've been on the Internet and Firefox is the best of all of them.

Could the problem be insufficient memory in the complainers' computers or handheld devices?

Ridgerunner
11-15-2017, 10:32 AM
If your bookmarks disappear another thing to try is click on the Open Menu button in the upper right (the 3 or 4 horizontal bars). Click on customize. Look for a star with a piece of channel under it. That is the bookmark menu button. Drag it up to the toolbar at the top with the - 100% + on it and drop it on the toolbar. You can click on this button and all your bookmarks, folders, etc should be there.

J Tiers
11-15-2017, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure why you folks are having trouble with the latest Firefox update. In my case, the update was optional. I received an email with a link suggesting that I try their new update. I did and it's great!
Could the problem be insufficient memory in the complainers' computers or handheld devices?

Once totally re-set-up, there is nothing wrong with the new version, really, other than remembering where everything has been moved to. It is probably all there, but it is a question of finding it.

The biggest problem is that there was NO NOTICE of a MAJOR change.

And no option to wait, because they turned off my "notify" setting previously. Not that the notification would matter, IIRC all it says is "there is a new version", no comment about what is changed.

And, they"moved my cheese".... stuff is all in different places, and some things were hidden, etc. No memory issues, so you can just forget about that.

And, this all happened first on a tablet that I needed to use for something right away (not screw with learning a new thing first), and tablet of course has no mouse, so it was even more difficult to deal with all the changes until I went to the laptop.

Bottom line: overall, they managed to make me look bad in a situation that I did not want to look bad in..... IMO, handled very badly by the developers. Should have popped a window for delaying the update mentioning the big changes.

Now I have to remember what I did to the laptop, get a mouse on the tablet, and do those things to the tablet also. And, then to the 4 other computers...... so that they all operate the same way.

3 Phase Lightbulb
11-15-2017, 12:34 PM
Bottom line: overall, they managed to make me look bad in a situation that I did not want to look bad in.....

You do it to yourself all the time so what's the big deal? ;)

dalee100
11-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Once totally re-set-up, there is nothing wrong with the new version, really, other than remembering where everything has been moved to. It is probably all there, but it is a question of finding it.

The biggest problem is that there was NO NOTICE of a MAJOR change.

So you didn't notice or see all the talk for the last 60 days coming from Mozilla on this major new release? I'm far from any kind of computer geek and even I was aware of this change was coming. At least you getting things solved and squared away.

Mcgyver
11-15-2017, 02:13 PM
commonly used bookmarks - as in "top sites" when you open a new tab?

The update changes it like 5 icons and a bunch of other BS they think you want. BUT, its easy to change - use the following to change the number of rows and columns you want. With this done, I like the new version. the following is quoted from their help forum

Type about:config into the address bar, press Enter, accept the warning, scroll down to browser.newtab.preload and double click on it to change 'Value' from True to False.

It is also possible in about:config to change the maximum number of tiles, by scrolling down to browser.newtabpage.columns (or .rows), then right click > Modify, to set a new number in 'Value.'

J Tiers
11-15-2017, 02:25 PM
So you didn't notice or see all the talk for the last 60 days coming from Mozilla on this major new release? I'm far from any kind of computer geek and even I was aware of this change was coming. At least you getting things solved and squared away.

No, I certainly received no information about it, and I have not seen any talk on any boards. So, no I did not see it, or if I did see anything, I had no release date info and no reason to remember about it, as surely there would be a pre-release announcement.

There have been some extra information windows come up for Firefox, but nothing I recall being for a new release. Seems as if the ones I recall were for other things.

I expect many people had no idea it was coming, and/or when. WHEN being an important operative word.

It would have been courteous to provide a pop up window at time of install that said "this will make major changes to Firefox, do you want to install now, or delay installation?"

kendall
11-15-2017, 02:28 PM

I'd seen the talk for a while, but was comfortable in the knowledge that I always turn off auto-update.
I recently performed a format/reinstall of everything however, so may have missed it.
I always copy the windows 'users' folder over from the old install so I keep all my settings, including bookmarks, passwords and other program settings.

Mcgyver
11-15-2017, 03:37 PM
And, they"moved my cheese".... .

Have you read the book?

H380
11-15-2017, 03:44 PM
https://brave.com/

Another option for the non-technical. Built on open source chromium and has blockers built in.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/brave-software-raises-25-million-and-expands-technical-team-300180017.html

(SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 17, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Brave Software, a technology startup focused on building a safer and faster Internet, today announced it completed a $2.5 million seed round from private investors. Brave was founded by its President and CEO Brendan Eich. Eich previously served as CTO, then CEO of the Mozilla Corporation. Prior to that, he co-founded the Mozilla project and foundation. Eich is also the inventor of the JavaScript programming language.)

J Tiers
11-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Have you read the book?

Have not read the Spencer Johnson book. Started it but had to give the book back before I got very far in it, IIRC. May have been on vacation at a family member's place, do not recall.

Joe_B
11-15-2017, 07:30 PM
I officially hate 57, it is full of bugs, a lot of the extensions like ad blockers wont work with it and it keeps forgetting my settings like home pages, etc. I canned it and went back to chrome.

J Tiers
11-15-2017, 08:52 PM
I officially hate 57, it is full of bugs, a lot of the extensions like ad blockers wont work with it and it keeps forgetting my settings like home pages, etc. I canned it and went back to chrome.

Adblock works fine for me. I have been using ublock.

The Photobucket fix stopped working long ago, so that's no loss if it was affected.

I can deal with 57, as soon as I find out where everything actually got moved to. I'm still finding it all.

PStechPaul
11-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Today I finally closed and reopened Firefox with the new update. It seems OK. It took a little while to find the "reload" button, and the "restore last session", but otherwise I see no problem. It does seem a bit faster. :)