PDA

View Full Version : Problem with the ironworker hydraulics - what could it be?

Mcgyver
11-27-2017, 09:11 AM
Here's a short video of an our Peddinghaus ironworker

https://youtu.be/AQmwwEua1Fc

as you can hear, there is something wrong - it should be a smooth cycle down without the tap tap tap. I get the theory but have limited hydraulic experience. For you experienced guys, what does that sound like is happening and where do we start looking? I guessing a valve or check value.....but its a guess. How would you go about troubleshooting this?

thanks!

Noitoen
11-27-2017, 09:54 AM
Air in the system?

Mcgyver
11-27-2017, 10:27 AM
that makes sense.....I didn't think of that

Sparky_NY
11-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Air usually bleeds itself out in hydraulics. Check the oil level first. Next, it may be something mechanically binding. You seem to be getting full pressure punching those holes. Iron workers usually have the hydraulic cylinder mounted central somewhere and a bunch of arms and such functioning as levers to the various workstation points on the machine. Binding somewhere would be overcome by the hydraulic force BUT may cause a bind/release type motion.

Black Forest
11-27-2017, 11:23 AM
I don't think it is hydraulic related. Sounds more mechanical to me. If I was going to trouble shoot this I would first eliminate all the simple things first and then go from there.

bobbyg
11-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Intermittent solenoid ?

J Tiers
11-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Noise seems to be only when the ram is moving unloaded or nearly so. Seems to quiet down when a load comes on it.

Something in the pump drive, maybe, unless it is actually in the pump itself. It seems too fast a noise to be related to pumping action as transmitted through the actual cylinder.

Ironwoodsmith
11-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Dry mechanisms catching and releasing. Tear it down and lube the joints.

Mcgyver
11-27-2017, 12:41 PM
I just got the manual from Peddinghaus......imo first class service, pdf received for free an hour after requesting it. So a tear down becomes a bit easier.

BobinOK
11-27-2017, 02:51 PM
Any gears in that machine, sure sounded like a gear with a chipped tooth.

Brian H.
11-27-2017, 06:44 PM
My first guess would be a pilot-operated valve, probably a check valve, that isn't getting full pilot pressure for some reason. If that were the case, it could prevent motion until pressure builds to the necessary amount, then the valve would open and move the ram, causing a pressure drop and the valve shuts again. The pump sounds normal, I'd think there would be a lot more noise if there were something wrong there. Also check any and all filters on the machine. Barring any of that, I'd look at the mechanicals.

-Brian

dalee100
11-27-2017, 08:53 PM
Hi,

Don't know anything about Peddinghaus machines, but I built Uni-Hydro Ironworkers for a number of years. When they get to sounding like that, there are worn parts. Generally pins and bushings. This means splitting the plates and replacing pins and bushings.

It looks pretty clean. Have you been greasing it often enough? Most brands of Ironworkers I've seen really need to have grease coming out of everywhere to minimize wear best.

Mcostello
11-27-2017, 10:52 PM
If Any One watches AVE'S video's one of Them is on hydraulic troubleshooting. He uses an laser thermometer to find the hot spot in His system, might work for You.

Dan Dubeau
11-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Something simple but not mentioned yet, is there enough fluid? My log splitter did that one time when it was low. Thats how I found out I had a cracked fitting that was pissing fluid (happened during a rollover...).

garyhlucas
11-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Peddinghaus is top notch equipment. Does it have a rapid advance function that is pressure shifted? It could be shifting the speed back and forth the shifting pressure is set to low.

sasquatch
11-29-2017, 11:46 AM
Interestingm my son has that same machine in his shop. Never had a problem with it yet though. Interesting topic.

Mcgyver
11-29-2017, 12:02 PM
really great feedback, thanks all! I've only been at shop 1 day in the last week so having trouble keeping up with everything. Hoping to get there friday and will take some shop clothes and see if I can find anything