X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oxford
    • Jun 2011

Broach bushing dimensions?

I need to make a broach bushing for a 2.5" diameter hole using a 1/2" D broach. Does anyone know deep the slot where the broach rides? For others that I have made I just measured the depth on the same letter bushing of a different diameter. I don't have any bushings for a D size to measure.

I plan on just ordering the correct shims for the broach so I would like to keep the bushing standard. Thanks.
  • J Tiers
    • Jan 2004

if you order the shims, the basic bushing slot depth is the broach height to the highest tooth, plus the shim thickness for final pass, less the keyway depth outside of the hole diameter.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• wierdscience
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by oxford View Post
      I need to make a broach bushing for a 2.5" diameter hole using a 1/2" D broach. Does anyone know deep the slot where the broach rides? For others that I have made I just measured the depth on the same letter bushing of a different diameter. I don't have any bushings for a D size to measure.

I plan on just ordering the correct shims for the broach so I would like to keep the bushing standard. Thanks.
      I can measure one for you tomorrow since I have the full 2-3" set at work to confirm it,but the way I normally do it is to cheat a bit and use an online key depth calculator.

Measure the width of the Broach body and add .001" for clearance and use that for the W dimension.The diameter is obvious at 2-1/2 that will give you the A dimension height that needs to be milled off.

Once that's milled off,zero the knee,measure the height of the lead in section of the broach and mill the slot to that depth. De-burr and you're done.

Here's a few I did back in September of this year,4-11/16 4-3/4 and 4-15/16" all for 1-1/4 keyways in coupling bores.

Last edited by wierdscience; 12-01-2017, 12:31 AM.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
      X