PDA

View Full Version : Affordable 16x60 lathe DRO

akajun
12-04-2017, 10:58 PM
Trying to upgrade my big machine some with a DRO. I put a tpactools DRO in my mill a few years ago and itís been great, however the longest scales he has are 38Ē and he canít get longer, so he says.
I look on DRO pros and they only go to 43 inches, better, but still not the full 60 unless I go to a magnetic scale system which bumps me up to $1500 or so.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a affordable lathe DRO system or know where I can get a 60Ē scale that will fit a tpactools or DRO pros system?

lakeside53
12-05-2017, 01:02 AM
I the same issue and figured the magnetic scale was the only viable (cost wise) option. Take care with the measurement -most "60 inch" lathes are measured center to center, and your carriage may drive beyond that. Easy to destroy a scale. On my 17x60 lathe I need about 77 inches of scale to cover reasonable use with the tail-stock off.

A switch won't stop you from driving the carriage by hand and unless you have an overload clutch I would not put a hard stop on the bed.

loose nut
12-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Define affordable?

There are lots that will be long enough but.....................

RWO
12-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Newall has their DP500 lathe set-up on sale here: https://machinetoolproducts.com for less than $1400. Carriage travel Spherosyn scale can be up to 80" long. The Microsyn cross slide scale is very easy to mount and needs only one end supported.

RWO