PDA

View Full Version : McMaster-Carr customer service

Stu
12-07-2017, 03:48 PM
I ordered 2 pcs of .625 x 12" 4140 rod from McMaster-Carr on Sat. The package arrived Tues. with a hole in the end and no rod. I contacted MMC through email and within 2 hrs I got a reply apologizing for the problem and saying they would send a replacement out asap. The package came today with the rods. That is good customer service! Stu

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Nice to know... I get that same type of service from Amazon whenever there is a problem, but it's easy to get used to that kind of service then expect it from other places.

Paul Alciatore
12-07-2017, 04:15 PM
I suspect that McMaster and many others very deliberately skimp on packaging for inexpensive items. They figure that they will have a few claims for lost or damaged items but that is less expensive than better packaging. I suspect they keep statistics on this and adjust the cost of packaging to keep the balance.

I have never had any problems with McMaster or any of the other big suppliers with a claim for damaged or lost items in shipment. It is only the little guys, like me, who spend more on packaging and who will possibly question a claim. But in the long run I would replace any lost item also.

Bob La Londe
12-07-2017, 04:33 PM
I suspect that McMaster and many others very deliberately skimp on packaging for inexpensive items. They figure that they will have a few claims for lost or damaged items but that is less expensive than better packaging. I suspect they keep statistics on this and adjust the cost of packaging to keep the balance.

I have never had any problems with McMaster or any of the other big suppliers with a claim for damaged or lost items in shipment. It is only the little guys, like me, who spend more on packaging and who will possibly question a claim. But in the long run I would replace any lost item also.

I don't know. I've always felt all of the things I bought from McMaster were well packed. Things like heavy cardboard tubes for rod stock with locking plastic caps.

I ordered 2 pcs of .625 x 12" 4140 rod from McMaster-Carr on Sat. The package arrived Tues. with a hole in the end and no rod. I contacted MMC through email and within 2 hrs I got a reply apologizing for the problem and saying they would send a replacement out asap. The package came today with the rods. That is good customer service! Stu

I do regular business with McMaster Carr. They have always been top notch for customer services. Had a credit card fail to clear once, and they shipped my order. A few days later I received an invoice in the mail. They are not always great for pricing, but often when I can't find something anywhere else McMaster Carr has it and its in stock. They aren't always the highest price either. I always check them. Sometimes they are quite competitive.

wdtom44
12-07-2017, 04:34 PM
I love dealing with McMaster. They have stuff, ship fast, it is good quality, and they are nice to deal with. They're the best. Tom

Toolguy
12-07-2017, 05:19 PM
They have the best and easiest online catalog of anyone, too. We use them a lot.

garyhlucas
12-07-2017, 05:51 PM
McMaster knows how to package things right and they learn from their mistakes. Grainger ships from like 5000 locations and never gets it right. Sent me a gear box and it got broken in shipping. Got the replacement 3 day later, broken the same way. Third one broken the same way too. Fourth one as well. Fix the problem? They charged me for every one until they recieved them back and cut me off because I was now over my credit limit with them!

I do have a serious complaint about McMaster now though. I think they have some millenials working on their search engine. Pipe couplings are no longer called couplings, they are connectors. Search for a tee and the picture that comes up is a generic pipe fitting, in this case an elbow! Find the coupling and the picture isn't a coupling, it is a female adapter. I use their catalog every day. I could hit with ten pages of the right place every time in the paper catalog. When someone like me is having trouble finding stuff that I use all the time how do you think others are going to fare? I think in the internet age this is going to cost them. If the search engine doesn't find what you want Google will, at another vendor!

Rich Carlstedt
12-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Mc Master Carr
40+ years a Customer = A+++++++

Rich

R.Bolte.Jr
12-07-2017, 08:27 PM
the only thing wrong with McMaster is that they don't sell cars or cell phone service...

I'd buy both from them.

wierdscience
12-07-2017, 09:07 PM
Agreed,I've been using them at work for probably 20 years,never an issue that they didn't instantly fix.

JoeLee
12-07-2017, 09:52 PM

I have never had any problems with McMaster or any of the other big suppliers with a claim for damaged or lost items in shipment. It is only the little guys, like me, who spend more on packaging and who will possibly question a claim. But in the long run I would replace any lost item also. I don't think that's the case. They just have minimum wage flunkies working in the shipping dept. MSC is the same way. They put something in a box and put a partially crumpled piece of brown paper in there as packing. The contents slide all over the inside of the box, the paper does nothing.

JL.................

Stu
12-07-2017, 10:47 PM
The only issue I have, and it's not that big of a deal, is when ordering online you don't get to see the shipping cost until they send you the invoice. Like I said, not really a problem as such since their shipping costs are reasonable, just a little annoyance. Stu

MrWhoopee
12-07-2017, 11:58 PM
When I had my shop, I acquired a reputation for finding things that others couldn't. When someone would call looking for an item, my first question was "Have you checked McMaster?"

projectnut
12-08-2017, 08:50 AM
I don't know. I've always felt all of the things I bought from McMaster were well packed. Things like heavy cardboard tubes for rod stock with locking plastic caps.

I do regular business with McMaster Carr. They have always been top notch for customer services. Had a credit card fail to clear once, and they shipped my order. A few days later I received an invoice in the mail. They are not always great for pricing, but often when I can't find something anywhere else McMaster Carr has it and its in stock. They aren't always the highest price either. I always check them. Sometimes they are quite competitive.

I would agree. I also do business with them regularly. In over 25 years I've only had one problem with packaging, and I believe the problem was more with the delivery service than McMaster. I often order tubing or lengths of drill rod. They always come well packed in a mailing tube with locking plastic ends. Sometimes I think the packaging costs more than the contents inside.

MattiJ
12-08-2017, 08:53 AM
McMaster-Carr Sucks big time. Like teaser they have "everything" but they don't ship abroad ;)

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-08-2017, 09:26 AM
This just shows how great Home Depot customer service could be, but unfortunately this is just wishful thinking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8r8REVieAk

Bob La Londe
12-08-2017, 09:34 AM
McMaster-Carr Sucks big time. Like teaser they have "everything" but they don't ship abroad ;)

Because of their broad product scope shipping abroad would be a huge problem in legal logistics. Many items they sell would be illegal to export or illegal to export to some countries. I ship out of country, but my product range is very narrow. As a result I only worry about whether or not a country is on the state department restricted list.

quasi
12-08-2017, 09:43 PM
they do ship to Canada again ,however.

dave_r
12-09-2017, 02:23 AM

I periodically search for one, but I can never find a broad in their online catalog. Maybe I have to go to a store and pick one up there.

MattiJ
12-09-2017, 03:56 AM
I periodically search for one, but I can never find a broad in their online catalog. Maybe I have to go to a store and pick one up there.

:p
Look from section "A" adjectives.

Glug
12-09-2017, 09:58 AM

I thought prostitution was legal in Finland?

fjk
12-09-2017, 04:51 PM
I buy maybe two things a year from them
Never a problem
Packing is excellent
Shipping is fast
Not cheap ... but you get what you pay for

And I always send them a "your service and web catalog are excellent and am willing to pay the higher prices for it"
And get a thank you back ...
It would be neat if others do the same ... I'd hate for them to try and reduce prices and lose their service quality

Frank

sewingmachine
12-09-2017, 04:59 PM
I too have had good customer service from McMaster-Carr . In most cases the stuff I ordered is delivered the next day and the prices is not bad.

GNM109
12-09-2017, 08:47 PM
I always check Mcmaster-Carr first. I have had empty packages arrive when items are delivered. They always replace them with a smile.

gellfex
12-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Used them 30 years now, can't be beat. And I never miss a chance to gloat that I'm in a "messenger zone": If I get an order in by 11 am I get it that afternoon via courier service for UPS price!