PDA

View Full Version : One Young Man's Home Built Lathe

Willy
12-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Looking around this morning I happened upon a video of a young man building a two speed transmission for a go kart. I was impressed by his resourcefulness and more importantly the lathe he was using. The video didn't show that much of his lathe as it was mainly focused on the project he was working on.
This had me wondering if another one of his videos would reveal more about the lathe that he had built. It appears there is a whole series dedicated to building the lathe.

I know it's not perfect and I'm sure he knows this as well, but he's on a limited budget and he's doing more with less and making chips to boot! The machine that he's built allows him to pursue his other fabrication interests.
Good inspiration for those that have asked the question many times before on how to make chips without spending a lot of cash.

Have to give the kid credit for being resourceful.:cool:

Two speed transmission build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZiHyOF-XEE&t=54s

Adding power feed to the lathe. This gives a good overall look at his lathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIlyCIgtUAI

Dan_the_Chemist
12-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Ya gotta love how far young people can get with pluck, innovation, and a lack of money ...

MattiJ
12-08-2017, 02:11 PM
His surface grinder was also worth a mention:
https://youtu.be/ob5v5KI9ngM?t=637

Have to say the results look much better than expected:
https://youtu.be/qIlyCIgtUAI?t=620

BCRider
12-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Here is PART 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob5v5KI9ngM) of the lathe build series. From there the associated videos in the sidebar should lead you on to the other follow on videos in the series.

Bob La Londe
12-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Ya gotta love how far young people can get with pluck, innovation, and a lack of money ...

And an uncanny ability to scavenge all that metal.

flylo
12-08-2017, 02:43 PM
This kid's going places! Wonder where he's from? I could donate a few machines & know they'd be put to good use.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Great video. It reminds me when I built my first go kart back in 2004 powered with a 4-cyl 750cc motorcycle engine ('79 GS750E). All I had was a drill press, angle grinder, a basic stick welder, and an air-powered metal "hack-saw". This is what started it for me. Once I was done building this, I started spending money on machine shop tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLrdUHATkoM

flylo
12-08-2017, 05:52 PM
When I was 16 tore down a building to build a shop, bought a Lincoln 225 AC buzzbox & a set of torches & tanks from Aldens for $99 each, still have them both. I was racing Redbud so my firdt build was a bike trailer. Later had a '85 Honda 4 wheel 250R with a 750 Suzuki water buffalo engine, ungodly wicked.

CCWKen
12-08-2017, 08:44 PM
The kid could use some wrenches. He must have 10 or so different pliers hanging on the wall. He uses those for wrenching large nuts/bolts. :o

sasquatch
12-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Very impressive builds, big Thanks Willy for posting this.

Dan_the_Chemist
12-08-2017, 09:24 PM
This kid's going places! Wonder where he's from? I could donate a few machines & know they'd be put to good use.

That was my thought. "Give that kid some tools". Over the years I've bought so many socket sets I darn near use the sockets as slingshot ammo... He'd be a good recipient (and not from a slingshot).

haroldmulder
12-08-2017, 10:05 PM
What the kid did is quite amazing, however before you go shipping tools off to him take a look at his other videos. I checked out a few from earlier times then the one shown in the original post. That kid still has quite the collection of tools.
You can see wrenches, sockets, drills, angle grinders, etc around his shop. He has a drill press, a metal chop saw, a welder, a pipe bender etc. When he used the vise grips and made the comment he did not have the right tools I felt sorry. However later in the video he is using a box end wrench to tighten the one bolt on the I beam behind the motor. I really don't want to rain on his parade however look before you ship.
Harold

lynnl
12-08-2017, 11:48 PM
After watching him use vise grips for what was probably weeks, I was greatly relieved in about the 5th or 6th video when he finally acquired a tap wrench.

A very impressive young guy indeed.

vpt
12-09-2017, 08:26 AM
Hate to be the one that says it, but for all the money he spent on materials he could have just bought a lathe.

BUT it is great to see the enthusiasm and gumption this kid has!

BobinOK
12-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Not around here.. Anything that even resembles a lathe will go for allot more than he spent. Am sure it depends on where you are, some parts of the country have allot more industry and places that are upgrading or shutting down than we have in OK.

I thought the kid did a fantastic job with what he had to work with... Sometimes it's easier to come up with 50 or 100 bucks several times over a period than $1000.00 all at once.

nickel-city-fab
12-09-2017, 09:41 AM
I think this is just impressive, amazing! Kinda restores my faith in humanity and all that... It would have been great to send him some proper tools and instructions, I would have been very glad to encourage him.

I watched every one of his videos last night.

its the kind of project I wanted to do for years.... now I'm a bit (ahem) older and still working, no time for projects like that but now I can just buy a lathe instead.

Dan Dubeau
12-09-2017, 09:52 AM
You have to ask yourself if he's building a lathe because he needs a lathe, or is he building a lathe because he needs to make interesting videos about stuff so people will watch, click and like and support his youtube channel. Talented kid nonetheless.

wdtom44
12-09-2017, 10:10 AM
Even if he could have bought a lathe for the same money and saved all the time he would not have gained any near so much experience and knowledge. I to think he will go far and was wondering where he is located. He did mention Davies a couple of times when talking about the school he was attending.

QSIMDO
12-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Obvious to me he was interested in meeting a challenge full on and with enthusiasm.
He was by God going to build himself a lathe, design through fabrication.

SOMEONE give this young man an apprenticeship!

Willy
12-09-2017, 11:58 AM
What the kid did is quite amazing, however before you go shipping tools off to him take a look at his other videos. I checked out a few from earlier times then the one shown in the original post. That kid still has quite the collection of tools.
You can see wrenches, sockets, drills, angle grinders, etc around his shop. He has a drill press, a metal chop saw, a welder, a pipe bender etc. When he used the vise grips and made the comment he did not have the right tools I felt sorry. However later in the video he is using a box end wrench to tighten the one bolt on the I beam behind the motor. I really don't want to rain on his parade however look before you ship.
Harold

Unfortunately I believe Harold is right.
I too felt sorry for him when I saw that he didn't have a set of wrenches to fit the nuts on his lead screw. I wondered though how he could have accomplished all of the mechanically intensive projects he posted videos about without them.
Since then after watching some of his other videos I see he has quite an assortment of tools, some new, some old.

He's one hell of a fabricator, I'll grant him that. It's unfortunate though that he feels the need to use his fabrication talents to go fishing for tools while treating his viewers like fools.
He seems like a nice kid and I don't think he's all that flush, but to me anyway a well phrased genuine request for donations goes a lot farther then fishing for tools in one video when in an other much earlier video he clearly shows that he has what he claims not to have. With 65,000 subscribers I'm sure the fishing is good. I just don't believe he has to go down to that level, he's got too much talent for that.

This video of his lathe build (#5) at the 0:48 mark you can clearly see he has the wrenches to properly tighten those lead screw nuts.

https://youtu.be/LuriVr7cvYI?t=48

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-09-2017, 12:10 PM
I also suffer from not having the tools I need WHEN I NEED THEM. Who has time looking for a 9/16 wrench way over in the tool chest when a pair of clumsily bastard vice grips are within reach.. Buying 10 sets of wrenches so a set is always close by doesn't work either. They all somehow get scattered around everywhere and every massive pile of wrenches is missing that 9/16. And somewhere dammit is a huge pile of 9/16s

lynnl
12-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Where does this idea that he's fishing for tools come from?
I've watched through the first 11 videos and haven't seen any plea for charity.

I do think he's sort of "putting us on" though. His supposed lack of knowledge of some of the technical terms, e.g. spindle vs axle, dovetail, and other instances that I don't recall, seems intentional to play better to the video crowd.
...especially since he stated he's taking machining classes at school.

Regardless, he's still entertaining, and I think, very talented.

Willy
12-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Where does this idea that he's fishing for tools come from?
I've watched through the first 11 videos and haven't seen any plea for charity.

Call me a skeptic but if this isn't bait I don't know anything about fishing.

https://youtu.be/qIlyCIgtUAI?t=131

MattiJ
12-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Call me a skeptic but if this isn't bait I don't know anything about fishing.

https://youtu.be/qIlyCIgtUAI?t=131

:D

I don't know if it just his lifestyle. Decent small wrench set is 10 dollars or big one 30-40 dollars :rolleyes:

Don't see too many hand tools in other videos either but maybe they are hiding under the junk.

Willy
12-09-2017, 01:24 PM
:D

I don't know if it just his lifestyle. Decent small wrench set is 10 dollars or big one 30-40 dollars :rolleyes:

Don't see too many hand tools in other videos either but maybe they are hiding under the junk.

Have a better look, I see socket sets, and combination wrenches in a lot of his other videos, see my previous post#20 for just one example.
Look at all of his other mechanically intensive postings. All done with vice grips instead of a wrench set?

Don't get me wrong I like the kid, he's got a lot of talent. I just don't like being played a sucker. I'm not embarrassed to say that I first fell into it as well. But I just don't think he has to stoop to that level.

I realize he's not affluent and that he does need and deserve some extra tooling, just don't care that he claims not to have something that he obviously had in videos from a year or more back.

Still if he was next door I'd give him a better welder that I have extra in the yard only because I do think he needs and deserves more than he's got.

Mcgyver
12-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Have a better look, I see socket sets, and combination wrenches in a lot of his other videos, see my previous post#20 for just one example.

could be there were loaned or something.... do you think he's soliciting donations or just trying to come across as making everything with a pen knife when its really not?

as crude as his setup is, I have to say he's quite mechanically inventive and he sure sticks with it....with a bit of dough and some good tools he could do marvels. I do wonder where all the steel comes from......imo buying that much steel and the required commercials would put in the medium quality, small, used lathe bracket. Factoring your time in a 10 cents an hour would bump you to the good quality bracket

MattiJ
12-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Speaking of shady youtubers: This guy is nowadays real slimy or downright discusting tool advertiser:
https://youtu.be/upN8nfRFPuk

PStechPaul
12-09-2017, 03:41 PM
The video of machining an aluminum pulley shows some dangerous practices with a lathe, such as wearing long sleeves and gloves, and also using a file without a handle. Toward the end of that video the file catches on a protruding cap screw (used as a set screw), and the tang causes injury to his hand. The comments are full of warnings, but he says he knows but doesn't care and says he just needs to be careful. I am impressed with his ingenuity and effort, but I hope he doesn't win the Darwin award!

Machine
12-09-2017, 04:02 PM
I also suffer from not having the tools I need WHEN I NEED THEM. Who has time looking for a 9/16 wrench way over in the tool chest when a pair of clumsily bastard vice grips are within reach.. Buying 10 sets of wrenches so a set is always close by doesn't work either. They all somehow get scattered around everywhere and every massive pile of wrenches is missing that 9/16. And somewhere dammit is a huge pile of 9/16s

Exactly. For me it's always the missing 10mm wrench or socket, and it happens no matter how many spares I get to keep around. On the SAE side, 7/16" and 1/2" are the most likely to go missing, but 9/16" has its place in MIA-land too.

MattiJ
12-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Exactly. For me it's always the missing 10mm wrench or socket, and it happens no matter how many spares I get to keep around. On the SAE side, 7/16" and 1/2" are the most likely to go missing, but 9/16" has its place in MIA-land too.

I once counted after cleaning that I had 13mm wrench in 15 different variations and still sometimes it seems that I don't have ANY at hand! :D
17mm wrenches are the same, must be total dozen of them around when you don't need one..

QSIMDO
12-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Don't tell me you guys haven't seen many of the YouTube "big boys" drop hints!
It's embarrassing the way tools and supplies rain down some times.
The kid puts in the work to make entertaining videos just as they all do, so he's entitled to the same benes.

sasquatch
12-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Still, no matter what the kid has, i'm very impressed with what he has done here. Just damned great to see someone doing this. Pretty sure he will not have any trouble finding a good job.

vpt
12-09-2017, 08:50 PM
Still, no matter what the kid has, i'm very impressed with what he has done here. Just damned great to see someone doing this. Pretty sure he will not have any trouble finding a good job.

I agree, this is a rare thing to find now days.

JoeLee
12-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Hate to be the one that says it, but for all the money he spent on materials he could have just bought a lathe.

BUT it is great to see the enthusiasm and gumption this kid has!Yea, and for all the time he spent making his lathe he could have restored one.
But.......... I give the kid a lot of credit to do what he did with what he had to work with. I started out like that, but after a while you realize your further ahead to buy something.
Besides most kids today wouldn't know what a lathe is.

JL..........

wdtom44
12-09-2017, 10:51 PM
Searched on Davies school and found a technical school or technical high school in R.I.. As I am In R.I. maybe I will try and find him. Will post if anything comes of it. Tom

Dan_the_Chemist
12-09-2017, 11:01 PM
Searched on Davies school and found a technical school or technical high school in R.I.. As I am In R.I. maybe I will try and find him. Will post if anything comes of it. Tom

I can send him a few tools. Nothing fancy, but at least I got a wrench !!!

12-09-2017, 11:06 PM
When I can't find my 9/16 wrenches, I just grab a 14 mm...
It's because I am metristandextorous..

RichR
12-09-2017, 11:54 PM

Great, we have a stalker.:rolleyes:

J Tiers
12-10-2017, 12:36 AM
I skipped through the series, was it ever explained how he had flattened the top of the "lathe bed"? I saw a bunch of angle grinder work, and some checking with a ruler, but that isn't the same.

If he had boxed the bed more, the thing would have been much more resistant to torque than as an "I-beam lathe bed". I have wondered why folks doing the I beam bed do not do that. But it seems to work for him.... another case of theory being beaten by real world usage experience.

When I can't find my 9/16 wrenches, I just grab a 14 mm...
It's because I am metristandextorous..

Like the Harbor freight sets of large wrenches, where they had metric and imperial...... and the metric sizes were the same as the imperial, just stamped with the metric value....

They still sell them....

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-pc-sae-jumbo-combination-wrench-set-61513.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-pc-metric-jumbo-combination-wrench-set-61514.html

vpt
12-10-2017, 08:45 AM
I thought the 14mm was just a bit to small for a 9/16"? Seems I used a 15mm for 9/16" bolts.

MattiJ
12-10-2017, 09:05 AM
I thought the 14mm was just a bit to small for a 9/16"? Seems I used a 15mm for 9/16" bolts.

It's 0,3mm smaller. Depending on tolerances it might or might not fit.
Perfect for rusty 9/16 bolt heads when you seat the socket or ring-end spanner with hammer.

And 1/2" is perfect for rusty 13mm bolt heads.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-10-2017, 10:00 AM
You guys don't get it.... The 15mm is somewhere next to the 9/16, the 13mm is somewhere else next to the 1/2 and they are always hidden and you never will find them unless you're looking for 3/4 or 5/8/. The more sets you have, the harder they are to find because they hind behind all of the other extra tool sets you bought

vpt
12-10-2017, 10:08 AM
It's 0,3mm smaller. Depending on tolerances it might or might not fit.
Perfect for rusty 9/16 bolt heads when you seat the socket or ring-end spanner with hammer.

And 1/2" is perfect for rusty 13mm bolt heads.

That is true! Many times I will use a bit over size metric on a rusty bolt or nut and work it back and forth just to break up the rust. Then try to work the right wrench on. If there is enough rust (rot) the next size smaller metric will normally work well.

I as well have my abuse (hammer) tools. I have sacrificed more than a few sockets over the years just to get a bolt out or nut off.

DR
12-10-2017, 01:01 PM
I don't get it...... Why do people post these kind of projects? Even weirder is why does he claim to only have basic ViseGrips when several here have seen shots showing more extensive tool sets?

Is it ego? Is he playing the clever young guy role?

My advice if he was asking for it would be get a job, use the money earned to buy a real lathe.

cooters
12-10-2017, 01:48 PM
He really knows how to get the most out of whatever is available. I am very impressed. Need to know where he is from. Cool

J Tiers
12-10-2017, 02:20 PM
I don't get it...... Why do people post these kind of projects? Even weirder is why does he claim to only have basic ViseGrips when several here have seen shots showing more extensive tool sets?

Is it ego? Is he playing the clever young guy role?

My advice if he was asking for it would be get a job, use the money earned to buy a real lathe.

He is in school.

He has a series of videos on this, and in LATER videos he seems to have acquired more tools. He has access to other tools at school, and we don't know if any shots may be from there, although most have the garage background.

Alistair Hosie
12-10-2017, 02:47 PM
a young kid well he beats me at welding and seems quite at home with all and sundry.I say ten out of ten.What I admire most about young people maybe not even with his obvious abilty, but kids who see one do one teach one as the saying goes,and go on on their own saftey being important first lesson to undertake what others shy away from.
Even my own son was going to pay good money to remove a rear light on his car to have it dried out his cars a bmw z4 seemingly are susceptable to water penetration around the rear light, a bad design for such an expensive car surely .I told him it would only be a half hour job or less so we are going to do it.I try to tell them I will not always be here and they should try it. He loked it up on youtube it is a fairly simple job removing some plastic studs.
As you all know During the ww2 many women were taught , and did some extremely fine machining.Surprised? well Not me. The Germans don't discriminate neither I believe do the Russians gender should I say is not a part. This Young guy is extremely well able. Alistair

12-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Who cares that he could buy a lathe.
Maybe he just wanted to see if he could do it.
What carries more weight. . A card and a resume..or the guy saying, when I was young I built my own lathe.. then adding he was not trying to set the bar for accuracy..
To me if I saw the lathe.. that would be the winner..

J Tiers
12-10-2017, 04:09 PM
What carries more weight. . A card and a resume..or the guy saying, when I was young I built my own lathe.. then adding he was not trying to set the bar for accuracy..
To me if I saw the lathe.. that would be the winner..

While agree, I'd be willing to be (having seen things like it) that just about every HR department in the USA would go straight for the card and resume..... and never even LOOK at the other guy.

Doozer
12-10-2017, 07:13 PM
He said something about Asheville metals is where he got his steel and
I think he said something about Asheville Tech is his school, so maybe
he is in Asheville NC. If so, I have a shop not too far from him. I asked him to
email me in the comments section of one of his latest videos. I have
more lathes and milling machines than I know what to do with. Maybe
I could give him one. Even if he has money, a lathe or mill is a lot to
swing for a college student. I was and still am into mini-bikes and go
karts, so I really identify with him. I hope he emails me.

--Doozer

vpt
12-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Send him to the forum!

softtail
12-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Kid seems to be ahead of the curve left to his own devices. Subscribe to his channel, call it good.

wierdscience
12-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Speaking of shady youtubers: This guy is nowadays real slimy or downright discusting tool advertiser:
https://youtu.be/upN8nfRFPuk

When you have that many subscribers tool companies will give you stuff for review,it's just the way of the world.When you think about it what better advertising than realtime demos of your product to an audience composed of mostly people interesting in the type of products you sell?

I'm actually glad you posted this,as I have been considering buying that exact saw.I have a handheld saw that uses the same blade so it would make sense.Nice to see the saw in action before buying.

wierdscience
12-10-2017, 08:45 PM
This video of his lathe build (#5) at the 0:48 mark you can clearly see he has the wrenches to properly tighten those lead screw nuts.

https://youtu.be/LuriVr7cvYI?t=48

I don't think so,the wrenches I see are 9/16 & 5/8 he was using 5/8" all thread rod and nuts which means the nuts will be 15/16".

Given that most basic end wrench sets at Walmart and the Local big box stores stop at 3/4 it's quite possible he didn't have a 15/16" let alone two of them.

Willy
12-10-2017, 09:48 PM
He said something about Asheville metals is where he got his steel and
I think he said something about Asheville Tech is his school, so maybe
he is in Asheville NC. If so, I have a shop not too far from him. I asked him to
email me in the comments section of one of his latest videos. I have
more lathes and milling machines than I know what to do with. Maybe
I could give him one. Even if he has money, a lathe or mill is a lot to
swing for a college student. I was and still am into mini-bikes and go
karts, so I really identify with him. I hope he emails me.

--Doozer

Damn fine gesture Doozer!

Send him to the forum!

Yes, great idea. I think it would be a win-win situation for all.

I don't think so,the wrenches I see are 9/16 & 5/8 he was using 5/8" all thread rod and nuts which means the nuts will be 15/16".

Given that most basic end wrench sets at Walmart and the Local big box stores stop at 3/4 it's quite possible he didn't have a 15/16" let alone two of them.

Perhaps, too many decades of life experience has turned me into a cynic, right or wrong. Besides I thought they where 5/8 and 11/16.:)
I've seen him in another video bending some steel brackets into shape with a couple of large crescents, why would he not use those???
I'm just at a loss why someone would be able to engage in so many mechanical projects, own a 20 volt Dewalt cordless drill, chop saw, multiple angle grinders various wrenches and sockets, probably in metric as well since he does work on equipment that is metric, etc.etc. and not have a basic set of combination wrenches.

Who knows maybe I'm wrong and the tools where mostly borrowed as previously suggested.
Hey I've been wrong before and I was wrong about that too.:)

We can all speculate what he has or doesn't have or how it ended up in his shop. I do know that he doesn't have too much. Like I said earlier, I like the kid, that's why I posted his link.

wierdscience
12-11-2017, 12:17 AM
Damn fine gesture Doozer!

Yes, great idea. I think it would be a win-win situation for all.

Perhaps, too many decades of life experience has turned me into a cynic, right or wrong. Besides I thought they where 5/8 and 11/16.:)
I've seen him in another video bending some steel brackets into shape with a couple of large crescents, why would he not use those???
I'm just at a loss why someone would be able to engage in so many mechanical projects, own a 20 volt Dewalt cordless drill, chop saw, multiple angle grinders various wrenches and sockets, probably in metric as well since he does work on equipment that is metric, etc.etc. and not have a basic set of combination wrenches.

Who knows maybe I'm wrong and the tools where mostly borrowed as previously suggested.
Hey I've been wrong before and I was wrong about that too.:)

We can all speculate what he has or doesn't have or how it ended up in his shop. I do know that he doesn't have too much. Like I said earlier, I like the kid, that's why I posted his link.

Could be his dad's stuff,or he could still be building his hoard,or he could be like one of my neighbors,diesel mechanic with probably one of everyting in the Snapon catalog,but doesn't own a 3/8 drill motor or set of bits?I tell him he's good at breaking bolts off,but drilling them out not so much ;)

J Tiers
12-11-2017, 12:28 AM
Eh, I like the guy.

OK, he does not know the best way to do everything. I don't, probably you don't either, and it's important to remember that we all had to learn. Everybody started out not even knowing how to walk, let alone anything else, whatever we know, we learned. he seems to be able to learn, and to figure things out.

In the later videos, he is using that lathe, and it seems to be working for him. He probably already knows the issues it has, and will get himself a "real" machine when those issues become too much of a problem. I'll bet he gets a real education on machines and using ones that are not perfect. That will serve him well.

Meanwhile, he seems to be getting things done with the lathe. More power to him.

I wander what will happen when he decides a mill would be good to have?

vpt
12-11-2017, 08:06 AM

In his gocart video he bends brackets with a JD2 type bender he has attached to the wall.

CarlByrns
12-12-2017, 09:46 PM
Back in the late 1940's (IIRC) Popular Science magazine had an article showing constructing a nifty bench lathe from plumbing fittings, angle iron, and hardwood. Sure looked like it would work well.

vpt
12-13-2017, 07:27 AM
I wander what will happen when he decides a mill would be good to have?

He did do a bit of milling in his lathe in a video. With the lathe now I bet he could turn out a pretty decent mill. Then use the mill to improve the lathe. Its a rabbit hole.