PDA

View Full Version : Welders all setup in new shop

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-15-2017, 11:03 PM
I finally got a chance to get over to a gas supplier (Thanks alanganes!) and got a 300cf bottle of Argon for TIG and a 300CF bottle of C25 for MIG. I cleaned up and plugged in my welders. I haven't used them in over 10 years! Boy they were dirty. Now I just need to build my welding table/shop bench and I'll be all set. I can't wait to see how easy or hard it will be to start welding again after taking a brake for 10+ years!

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/weld7.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/weld5.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/weld4.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/weld6.jpg

danlb
12-16-2017, 12:34 AM
Looks good. I also have a box for my spare TIG cups and other accessories. It's not made by Miller, it's by Keds. But it does the job.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2017, 03:19 AM
One thing I'll have to get is a 1.5x magnification lens as I now wear 1.5x reading glasses to clearly see stuff in front of me. Didn't need reading glasses 10 years ago! :)

Has anyone used a Miller Digital Elite helmet with a magnification lens installed?

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/cyberweld/miller-welding-helmet-cat-elite-clearlight-lens-281006-2.jpg

Machine
12-16-2017, 07:54 AM
Sweet setup, wish I had a getup like that. Cool helmet too, something like that may be in my future.

danlb
12-16-2017, 01:00 PM
I have the Miller ELite, not the digital. I like it.

The cheaters make a world of difference. So does the extra tall viewport since it lets me see things outside of the puddle.
Dan

CCWKen
12-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Hey, it looks like you can get to them now! :) But I gotta tell ya, the one on the right doesn't look like a welder. :cool:

danlb
12-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Hey, it looks like you can get to them now! :) But I gotta tell ya, the one on the right doesn't look like a welder. :cool:

Actually, it's a plasma torch. Well, it feeds the plasma torch. Which melts metal. Which is sort of like welding. So it's sort of an accessory to sort of a welder.

Dan :)

softtail
12-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Nice. A welding/tank cart is next up for me. Welders and plasma are sitting on the floor... rats nest of cables.

I have a digital elite and getting some magnification has been on my list for a while now. Love the helmet.

Willy
12-16-2017, 04:28 PM
I finally got a chance to get over to a gas supplier (Thanks alanganes!) and got a 300cf bottle of Argon for TIG and a 300CF bottle of C25 for MIG. I cleaned up and plugged in my welders. I haven't used them in over 10 years! Boy they were dirty. Now I just need to build my welding table/shop bench and I'll be all set. I can't wait to see how easy or hard it will be to start welding again after taking a brake for 10+ years!

Very nice setup, I think I remember you getting them and seeing them on these pages shortly after you acquired them. If you had the fundamentals down at that time I'm sure it won't take you too long to get back in the saddle again.
At least now that you have more time to do a little bonding with them it won't take long. Looks like the storage and subsequent clean up didn't do them any harm.
Nice to get reacquainted with old friends.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Actually, it's a plasma torch. Well, it feeds the plasma torch. Which melts metal. Which is sort of like welding. So it's sort of an accessory to sort of a welder.

That explains a lot! I thought it was a nitrogen tire inflation unit but it kept vaporizing the tire stems instantly. I explained the problems I was having with the manufacture and they told me to never call them back so never figured out why until now :)

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2017, 05:16 PM
Very nice setup, I think I remember you getting them and seeing them on these pages shortly after you acquired them. If you had the fundamentals down at that time I'm sure it won't take you too long to get back in the saddle again.
At least now that you have more time to do a little bonding with them it won't take long. Looks like the storage and subsequent clean up didn't do them any harm.
Nice to get reacquainted with old friends.

I also have an Oxy/Acety setup with smaller 40CF tanks that I bought back around the same time as my welders but I left the Oxy/Acety rig outside under my deck a few years ago after using them to replace an A/C compressor and forgot about them. They are still outside under my deck. The last time I looked at it the hoses were completely faded and dry looking so I'll have to replace those but wondering if the regulators+tank can still be trusted. I'll probably just get new equipment but it would be nice if I can still use them as the tanks were purchased new in ~2005 but never refilled or inspected. There is probably still %50+ in them. Does anyone know if Oxy/Acety tanks are like propane tanks that need to be inspected every ~10 years or they because scrap/un-fillable/etc?

danlb
12-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Pretty much all high pressure tanks need to be hydrotested periodically. There's a date code near the neck that tells when it was last tested.

That covers the Oxy. Not sure about the Acetylene tank.

Dan

digr
12-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Have you ever used those machines? They look brand new.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2017, 05:32 PM
Have you ever used those machines? They look brand new.

Oh yea, I used the welders like crazy for about 2 years when I first bought them. Then my son was born and also got into fishing yachts and lost interest in my machining hobby until a few months ago. I've only used the plasma a few times (still on original consumable). They look new because I spent around 5 hours cleaning all of the black mouse crap and solid urine sheets off them :)

I'll see if I can find some pictures of what they looked like before I cleaned them yesterday.

TGTool
12-16-2017, 05:53 PM
I also have an Oxy/Acety setup with smaller 40CF tanks that I bought back around the same time as my welders but I left the Oxy/Acety rig outside under my deck a few years ago after using them to replace an A/C compressor and forgot about them. They are still outside under my deck. The last time I looked at it the hoses were completely faded and dry looking so I'll have to replace those but wondering if the regulators+tank can still be trusted. I'll probably just get new equipment but it would be nice if I can still use them as the tanks were purchased new in ~2005 but never refilled or inspected. There is probably still %50+ in them. Does anyone know if Oxy/Acety tanks are like propane tanks that need to be inspected every ~10 years or they because scrap/un-fillable/etc?

Take the regulators around to a welding repair shop and they can check them for you. I took in ones I'd received from a friend that I expected hadn't been used in years and the knowledgeable lady there checked, said they were fine, did I want a new cover on the cracked one and did I prefer glass or plastic. Only charge was for the parts so I'd go back to them for anything.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2017, 05:54 PM
I couldn't find any pictures that show how dirty they were. I did find some pictures when I first bought them back in 2005.

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/DSCN6669.JPG

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/DSCN6656.JPG

metalmagpie
12-16-2017, 06:00 PM
Like riding a bicycle. Nothing to it. You'll be back up to speed in no time.

metalmagpie

Danl
12-16-2017, 06:07 PM
I've got that exact TIGrunner, only not nearly as clean as yours! I use it a lot.

Dan L

Machine
12-16-2017, 06:15 PM
What do you guys do about breathing metal fumes while welding? I can always feel it in my throat and lungs when I'm done. There's no way burning metal smoke doesn't do you harm. I had one of those welding masks, but it always forced breath up past my nose bridge and into the plexiglass viewing window and fog it up. I quit smoking 17 years ago and definitely want to take care of my nicotine "restored/recuperated" lungs.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2017, 06:29 PM
This is the level of filth that was on my welders. This is the current condition of my Grizzly 10x18" horz saw (G9744Z) bought in 2006. I'll post pictures after I've cleaned it up but the welders looked just like this with layers of mouse crap all over them

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/dirty_saw1.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/dirty_saw9.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/dirty_saw7.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/dirty_saw5.jpg

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2017, 06:36 PM
What do you guys do about breathing metal fumes while welding? I can always feel it in my throat and lungs when I'm done. There's no way burning metal smoke doesn't do you harm. I had one of those welding masks, but it always forced breath up past my nose bridge and into the plexiglass viewing window and fog it up. I quit smoking 17 years ago and definitely want to take care of my nicotine "restored/recuperated" lungs.

I did most of my welding on my shop bench which was directly in front of a garage door that I would open if I was doing any significant welding. If I was just tack welding I wouldn't bother opening the door, or if I was TIG welding aluminum w/AC I don't remember smelling any fumes except ozone from the HF. TIG welding mild steel with DC would burn off oils and such which is probably the only thing I remember smelling. I would always open the door if I was doing a lot of MIG welding. Never felt like I was consuming any fumes though.

J Tiers
12-16-2017, 06:46 PM
I just won't weld indoors. Too much burnable stuff, and those red hot bits bounce and roll into places you'd never believe. Only if the floor and walls were concrete and the place cleared would I consider doing it. Floor and walls mostly ARE concrete, but the "cleared" part is a problem.

Just as much burnable outside (most of the property has plantings of one sort or another on it), but the building is brick, and I can put out the fire easily if one starts. Separate garage is frame, no welding in there.

3PL: Every place I see keeps their tanks outside under a cover (like a carport) but otherwise open to air. Tanks seem to be OK with that, so probably yours are too.

Danl
12-16-2017, 07:05 PM
I did most of my welding on my shop bench which was directly in front of a garage door that I would open if I was doing any significant welding. If I was just tack welding I wouldn't bother opening the door, or if I was TIG welding aluminum w/AC I don't remember smelling any fumes except ozone from the HF. TIG welding mild steel with DC would burn off oils and such which is probably the only thing I remember smelling. I would always open the door if I was doing a lot of MIG welding. Never felt like I was consuming any fumes though.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gKKIP9NehD0XQqSZx6jm8jzgMch-ZnxS/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gKKIP9NehD0XQqSZx6jm8jzgMch-ZnxS/view?usp=sharing
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UcDzaPynUkKtdqKY2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/IreJK4acTnwD2Yul2

My dirty, well used Miller. New in 2008. No mouse terds, but plenty of dust and crud.

I TIG the small stuff without a fan or opening doors. Fumes from this don't seem to bother me nearly as much as working with MEK, acetone, etc.

Dan L

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2017, 07:13 PM
TIG welding just melts the filler and the base material in very controllable puddle. Nothing flies or bounces anywhere so it's perfectly safe in my opinion. Even TIG welding a gasoline tank is safe as long as it's completely full of gas and you have control of what your doing. MIG can platter around so a welding blanket is good practice to contain it. I also consider MIG completely safe when taking basic precautions and keeping the locality of ignition sources at bay. Just be aware of what your doing and plan your welding environment and you'll be just fine. Same with sweating copper pipes in a house -- protect items from ignition in many different ways for safely soldering them with. The biggest danger with welding is the occasional burns from touching items that haven't cooled down enough, or UV exposure, and possibly respiratory damage if you're breathing in too much of the welding environment.

alanganes
12-16-2017, 07:20 PM

I have brought old out-of-date tanks that I own up to the supplier you use in the past. The small CO2 tank I use for my MIG was one one of the small tanks like they use on soda machines. It needed to be hydro tested so they charged me for that but it was cheap, maybe 15 bucks. Then they just swapped me for a new full tank and I never saw the other one again. Same with my O2 tank which was a tiny 20cuft one. They charged me for the test and swapped me for a larger tank, I just paid for more gas.

Not sure about the acetylene. Mine are the small "prestolite" tanks like plumbers use. They just swap those out as well. Easy.

I'd expect they'll do the same with yours.

alanganes
12-16-2017, 07:26 PM
Oh yea, I used the welders like crazy for about 2 years when I first bought them. Then my son was born and also got into fishing yachts and lost interest in my machining hobby until a few months ago. I've only used the plasma a few times (still on original consumable). They look new because I spent around 5 hours cleaning all of the black mouse crap and solid urine sheets off them :)

I'll see if I can find some pictures of what they looked like before I cleaned them yesterday.

Cleaning up machines after extended storage is sort of awful. Long sad story by I had to put most all of my machines into one of those self storage things for what was supposed to be a few months. Turned into 5 years or so. I was really depressed when I dug it all out, took a lot of time to get the stuff back into decent shape. Nothing got ruined, but what a mess.

J Tiers
12-16-2017, 07:32 PM
TIG welding just melts the filler and the base material in very controllable puddle. Nothing flies or bounces anywhere so it's perfectly safe in my opinion. Even TIG welding a gasoline tank is safe as long as it's completely full of gas and you have control of what your doing. MIG can platter around so a welding blanket is good practice to contain it. I also consider MIG completely safe when taking basic precautions and keeping the locality of ignition sources at bay. Just be aware of what your doing and plan your welding environment and you'll be just fine. Same with sweating copper pipes in a house -- protect items from ignition in many different ways for safely soldering them with. The biggest danger with welding is the occasional burns from touching items that haven't cooled down enough, or UV exposure, and possibly respiratory damage if you're breathing in too much of the welding environment.

With welding comes plasma cutting, possibly oxy-fuel cutting, etc. They can definitely create issues. And stick welding can have bouncy particles. It just takes one in the wrong place.

My shop, my rules. I've done all three of those types of welding, and also both plasma and oxy-fuel cutting. I choose not to do it in the shop, based on the way the shop is set up.

danlb
12-16-2017, 07:43 PM
TIG welding just melts the filler and the base material in very controllable puddle. Nothing flies or bounces anywhere so it's perfectly safe in my opinion.

That matches my opinion. I have a small cleared area for TIG welding. I've only had splatter when I was playing with a tin can that had oils trapped in the rolled rim. It pressurized and popped. For MIG I have a small table set up right outside the side garage door on a concrete patio. I only MIG during mild wind conditions.

Fire is always a concern. I have so many fire extinguishers around my welding area that I am sending 9 of them back to Kidde this month for their recall.

Machine
12-16-2017, 07:46 PM

Yeah the only welding I do now is Mig with argon cover gas (i.e. no flux core wire and no stick welding). So there should not be more pollutants coming off of it than Tig, which should be the cleanest burning, normally. And maybe it's just me in terms of sensitivity, but I've watched many videos of other people welding either Tig or gas covered Mig and you can see the weld smoke creeping right up under their masks, even outside in "quiescent" (i.e. still) air. By necessity, you need to keep your face right up to the weld area to see what's going on. And, without vacuum fume removal and/or fresh air breathing supply or filtration respirator, it necessitates inhalation of that smoke. It's just hard for me to believe that breathing those vapors is benign, especially with long term exposure. Not trying to be safety a nazi, just my own personal experience with respiratory/throat irritation after welding.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2017, 07:47 PM
Cleaning up machines after extended storage is sort of awful. Long sad story by I had to put most all of my machines into one of those self storage things for what was supposed to be a few months. Turned into 5 years or so. I was really depressed when I dug it all out, took a lot of time to get the stuff back into decent shape. Nothing got ruined, but what a mess.

Yes, mine were just sitting in my garage for ~5 years, then I moved into another house and they sat again for another ~5.5 years. I wish they just had dust on them but I think 90% of the crap on them is from mice. Now I'm using bait traps EVERYWHERE and I assume they will not be running around pissing and sh*ting on everything, but I still see lots of green colored feces near the bait boxes (the poison/bait is green colored). I hate to poison them but I just can't stand them now even though they are the cutest little things.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2017, 08:22 PM
Also, I've always had a 4'x8' welding table (you guys have seen it). I'll be building another one and using the same 1/4" plate. And there is usually 3-4 feet surrounding the table clear of combustibles/etc. I could probably safely have a large bonfire on my welding table assuming I didn't let the flames ignite the ceiling :)

Joel
12-16-2017, 09:13 PM
Now I'm using bait traps EVERYWHERE and I assume they will not be running around pissing and sh*ting on everything, but I still see lots of green colored feces near the bait boxes (the poison/bait is green colored).
If you have any pets, be very careful they can never get into any bait. It apparently tastes great and they seek it out, but it seriously f**ks them up in a very big way.

Ohio Mike
12-16-2017, 09:16 PM

The hoses are junk replace them. The regulars should be checked out or you could purchase a new rig that would include a new torch, hoses and regulator. I wouldn't worry about the tanks for now. When then need refilled your supplier will have to check them. I've seen plenty of tanks with 1940s mfg dates coming from gas suppliers that still check out.

Willy
12-16-2017, 09:53 PM
If you have any pets, be very careful they can never get into any bait. It apparently tastes great and they seek it out, but it seriously f**ks them up in a very big way.

This, and remember any mice that have taken the bait will be sluggish and therefor easy prey for any dog or cat that spots them. They of course will also ingest the poison when they eat the mice.
Have lost more than one furry friend due to neighbors using poison.

JoeLee
12-16-2017, 10:08 PM
Do you break a lot of torch cups ??? I don't think my local store stocks as many as you have.

JL......

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2017, 10:25 PM
I hate doing it, but I have to stop being such a great host for the unwelcome mice. I'm hoping our cat won't actually eat a mouse that could possibly come inside the house after ingesting the poison, but I've got to do something. I'm more worried about the owls that will probably be the main 2nd party. No other pets are around but plenty of wild life that can eat mice that I'm poisoning but not really something I can do much about.

This is the stuff I'm using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S2B8ZG

JoeLee
12-16-2017, 10:33 PM
I just won't weld indoors. Too much burnable stuff, and those red hot bits bounce and roll into places you'd never believe. Only if the floor and walls were concrete and the place cleared would I consider doing it. Floor and walls mostly ARE concrete, but the "cleared" part is a problem.

Just as much burnable outside (most of the property has plantings of one sort or another on it), but the building is brick, and I can put out the fire easily if one starts. Separate garage is frame, no welding in there.

3PL: Every place I see keeps their tanks outside under a cover (like a carport) but otherwise open to air. Tanks seem to be OK with that, so probably yours are too. I'm with you JT. I won't MIG in my shop any more, I do TIG a lot.

JL...............

JoeLee
12-16-2017, 10:37 PM
I hate doing it, but I have to stop being such a great host for the unwelcome mice. I'm hoping our cat won't actually eat a mouse that could possibly come inside the house after ingesting the poison, but I've got to do something. I'm more worried about the owls that will probably be the main 2nd party. No other pets are around but plenty of wild life that can eat mice that I'm poisoning but not really something I can do much about.

This is the stuff I'm using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S2B8ZGI've never had a mouse in my shop in 30 years. Block walls and tight doors. I don't think they can get in. Never seen a sign of one and nothing in there for them to eat either.
I've set traps before just out of curiosity but never caught one.

JL..................

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2017, 10:44 PM
Do you break a lot of torch cups ??? I don't think my local store stocks as many as you have.

JL......

No but I always seem to over do it when it comes to consumables. And when packs of 10 of something only costs 2-3 times more that packs of 1 of something, I always get 10 packs (or whatever pack size) thinking I'm getting ripped off if I only buy the 1 pack :) So if I want a variety, it's usually a variety of packs of packs, etc. I really went overboard with filler rods. Those are a pain because they came in cardboard boxes with something like 100 rods per box and the cardboard has deteriorated over the years so I have dozens of boxes of filler rods that fall apart when you try and move/store them. I'll need to stabilize them and find new boxes for them.

For my Oxy/Acety, I'll try exchanging the tanks for full ones and if they accept them then I'll buy a new set of hoses and regulators. I learned Oxy/Acety prior to learning TIG and I might also use it to help teach my son TIG if he gains an interest in the welders which I'm sure he will once I show him what we can do with them.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-16-2017, 10:58 PM
I've never had a mouse in my shop in 30 years. Block walls and tight doors. I don't think they can get in. Never seen a sign of one and nothing in there for them to eat either.
I've set traps before just out of curiosity but never caught one.

JL..................

I have no idea where they are coming in. They must be pushing themselves under the garage doors in the garage. They are also in the attic and I've seen them in unfinished utility rooms and bathrooms. I have a very large house with 8 bathrooms and each bathroom has one or more large vanities and I've seen mouse droppings in the vanity drawers in most bathrooms. The only place I can find for them to get in the vanities is from the sink drain hole through the wall but most of them only have like a 1/4" gap around the sink drain and the hole in the wall/drywall. I have no idea how they are getting into the attic. They must be getting in through a ridge vent on one of the roof peaks where I'm too afraid to go and inspect because I haven't been able to find anywhere obvious for them to get in but they are somehow.

EDIT: I think they are getting into the vanities through the holes in the floor where the hot/cold water pipes come through. It seems most of the water pipe holes are ~1.5" diameter with maybe a ~5/8 diameter water pipe threw them. Maybe they follow the warm water pipes.

Machine
12-16-2017, 11:07 PM
I've never had a mouse in my shop in 30 years. Block walls and tight doors. I don't think they can get in. JL..................

Another thing that helps is to stuff all possible entry cracks and crevasses with steel wool. I had heard about this trick as an effective method for keeping mice out, so I tried it in an efficiency apartment I had once in a mice prone area. I stuffed a bunch of steel wool into a crack behind my door moulding I thought they were coming in through. Low and behold about 6 months after stuffing the crack, just out of curiosity, I pried the moulding away and pulled the steel wool out just to see if it had been chewed through. As I removed it, I saw no sign of entry but instead a dessicated dead mouse came in tow with a single strand of steel wool still connected to his gullet. He was hooked on it like a fish to a lure, long dead and apparently choked to death on a single metal strand from the steel wool.

Willy
12-16-2017, 11:58 PM
Not my photo, just grabbed this one to help illustrate, but this is what I use to store filler rod.
PVC pipe in the diameter and length you need. Ether a threaded or slide on cap for access, easy to mark for rod identification and they're always clean and dry.

https://images14.fotki.com/v1643/photos/3/36012/5990996/DSC_0016-vi.jpg

A few years ago the wife and I spent a day sealing every conceivable hole that I could get a pencil thru in order to end the possibility of mice gaining entry into the house. If a mouse can get his skull thru a hole then he can also get the rest of his body thru. A lot of work but it has paid off very well, but leave no stone unturned. Plumbing, electrical, cable are all suspect areas that you want to check.

It's actually saved me a lot of grief, money, and work since every time we get a mouse in the house if there is any chance it's gotten into the kitchen, pantry or cutlery the wife does a very thorough (read expensive) sweep. Life is easier now.

dbq49er
12-17-2017, 12:14 AM
When I was teaching welding, we had vent hoods and ports to our welding booths. Steel welding does create fumes and smoke. Both covers the helmets lens and goggles with soot. At home I try to have a fan behind me pushing some air at me. Your biggest concern is trying to weld on galvanized metals. Zinc is a hazardous metal. Grind off the zinc coating first. Rags and paper towels around welding is bad but what you wear welding can catch on fire if it is frayed. That is why they sell welding "leathers" when you weld. We even made every student wear leather shoes if they took a welding class. Fuzzy jeans and flannel shirts are a concern. Yes I have welded with sandals and shorts BUT flying spatter does burn skin. I keep a fire extinguisher next to where I weld at all times. It is a co2 extinguisher because I do not want to clean up sprayed chemicals off of my machines. It will cost you more up front but can be reused and refilled. Most home extinguishers are not refillable and the mess is terrible. Buy the way I use mouse traps so I don't worry about my cat.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-17-2017, 12:35 AM
I like the PVC pipe idea for holding filler rod.

Yes, I've welded a few Zinc coated bolts or nuts for various things and that has nasty fumes. I also used to TIG and MIG SCH-40 black iron pipe with that anti-corrosive coating. I would try and sand off the coating before welding joints together but that also gave off nasty fumes with TIG even if I cleaned the pipe well as the heat-affected zone always caused some of that coating to bake even if it was an inch or more away. I eventually make a few "real" steel orders so I ended up getting uncoated SCH-40 pipe but originally I was using black iron pipe from home depot for a lot of my initial projects.

12-17-2017, 02:55 AM
When I bait mouse or rat traps with food, I then wrap it with saran or a piece of shrink wrap. Often I cut about a 1.25 inch strip, wrap then tie the ends. Often it will work like 3 or more times with bait still on the trigger or pan. Just drop the furry critter, then reload.
Don't want to kill other stuff with poison.

JoeLee
12-17-2017, 08:47 AM
I have no idea where they are coming in. They must be pushing themselves under the garage doors in the garage. They are also in the attic and I've seen them in unfinished utility rooms and bathrooms. I have a very large house with 8 bathrooms and each bathroom has one or more large vanities and I've seen mouse droppings in the vanity drawers in most bathrooms. The only place I can find for them to get in the vanities is from the sink drain hole through the wall but most of them only have like a 1/4" gap around the sink drain and the hole in the wall/drywall. I have no idea how they are getting into the attic. They must be getting in through a ridge vent on one of the roof peaks where I'm too afraid to go and inspect because I haven't been able to find anywhere obvious for them to get in but they are somehow.

EDIT: I think they are getting into the vanities through the holes in the floor where the hot/cold water pipes come through. It seems most of the water pipe holes are ~1.5" diameter with maybe a ~5/8 diameter water pipe threw them. Maybe they follow the warm water pipes. I would be more concerned as to how they are getting into the house as opposed to how they are getting into various rooms and cabinets. Once they have found a way in it's a freeway through the whole house. Usually it through cracks in the foundation wall and up under siding or holes in the sill plate etc.
My house is brick and my shop is block. The windows are all tight and sealed. Both the overhead doors and walk in doors seal tightly. The only way a mouse could get in would be to scale the wall and squeeze through the alum. soffit and channel gaps which is pretty tight. Do mice climb brick walls???

JL..................

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-17-2017, 10:13 AM
Do mice climb brick walls???

JL..................

I should be a mouse expert but I have no idea :) I know chipmunks run up and down the vertical gutter down-spouts on my house and can run anywhere on the roof. I'm sure flying squirrels do too. We used to have lots of flying squirrels in our attic at my previous house. Not sure if we have them here or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if mice can run up brick walls. I have no idea how they get on top of tall objects. They built a nest at the top of a drill press inside the belt housing. What a F-n mess that was to clean out. Still smells when I run the drill press too.

metalmagpie
12-17-2017, 10:22 AM
When I bait mouse or rat traps with food, I then wrap it with saran or a piece of shrink wrap. Often I cut about a 1.25 inch strip, wrap then tie the ends. Often it will work like 3 or more times with bait still on the trigger or pan. Just drop the furry critter, then reload.
Don't want to kill other stuff with poison.

What do you wrap with shrink? The whole rat trap? Just the bait? What does that do?

JoeLee
12-17-2017, 10:48 AM
I should be a mouse expert but I have no idea :) I know chipmunks run up and down the vertical gutter down-spouts on my house and can run anywhere on the roof. I'm sure flying squirrels do too. We used to have lots of flying squirrels in our attic at my previous house. Not sure if we have them here or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if mice can run up brick walls. I have no idea how they get on top of tall objects. They built a nest at the top of a drill press inside the belt housing. What a F-n mess that was to clean out. Still smells when I run the drill press too. I know chipmunks can run up the inside of an alum. downspout only because they can put outward pressure against the pipe walls with their legs. I've never seen one climb the outside.

JL...................

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-17-2017, 10:54 AM
I found a picture of a cage I made at my old house to keep all of the flying squirrels in that I was catching in our attic during one winter. We let them go 50+ miles away in the spring. They used to piss through the cage and on the walls -- grateful little bastards, they are....

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/cage.jpg

QSIMDO
12-17-2017, 11:02 AM
One thing I'll have to get is a 1.5x magnification lens as I now wear 1.5x reading glasses to clearly see stuff in front of me. Didn't need reading glasses 10 years ago! :)

Has anyone used a Miller Digital Elite helmet with a magnification lens installed?

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/cyberweld/miller-welding-helmet-cat-elite-clearlight-lens-281006-2.jpg

I have one and I hate it!
Something about the design of the portion that sits on your head...just doesn't.
Part of the problem is I was born when it was common practice to do "forceps deliveries" on babies and my head is less than spherical but even with the myriad adjustments it falls off.

I use a 2.5 lens and it hazes up between the helmet lens and magnifier.

Hal
12-17-2017, 11:10 AM
Mice have no trouble climbing a brick wall. They can climb a cloth curtain.
I think they have wings, its like there is no place they can't get.

Hal

JoeLee
12-17-2017, 11:17 AM
They can't get out of a smooth plastic pail and they can't swim too good!!

JL................

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-17-2017, 11:20 AM
I'm starting to think a bucket of water and a roller like someone posted before might be next on my list instead of reloading the bait stations.

JoeLee
12-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Not my photo, just grabbed this one to help illustrate, but this is what I use to store filler rod.
PVC pipe in the diameter and length you need. Ether a threaded or slide on cap for access, easy to mark for rod identification and they're always clean and dry.

A few years ago the wife and I spent a day sealing every conceivable hole that I could get a pencil thru in order to end the possibility of mice gaining entry into the house. If a mouse can get his skull thru a hole then he can also get the rest of his body thru. A lot of work but it has paid off very well, but leave no stone unturned. Plumbing, electrical, cable are all suspect areas that you want to check.

It's actually saved me a lot of grief, money, and work since every time we get a mouse in the house if there is any chance it's gotten into the kitchen, pantry or cutlery the wife does a very thorough (read expensive) sweep. Life is easier now. Looks like us guys all think alike.
I made my TIG rod tubes out of 2" OD thin wall PVC. I think it's sched. 20. about 1/16" wall with full 2" OD unlike the nominal 2" pipe sched. 40. You don't need all that wall thickness for storage tubes and besides you can get more in these.
I bought a 2" round of PVC and turned some plugs for the bottom out of it and cemented them in place. I found the nice flat top caps on line somewhere.

If anyone is interested in any of this thin wall 2" tube I have 80' of it left in 10' lengths. I would be happy sell some of it and I would cut it to size about 38" or so.

JL....................

https://s26.postimg.org/ysyamp9z9/TIG_Rod_Tubes.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ysyamp9z9/)

mattthemuppet
12-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Great set up! That is a lot of flying squirrels, only ever seen a couple before. For mice, I've had a lot of success with the spring traps baited with peanut butter. Doesn't hurt that I hate peanut butter, so it's no waste to me :)

CCWKen
12-17-2017, 12:00 PM

When did they start putting motors, big pulleys, cylinders and tanks on a plasma torch? Wow! I'm really behind the times, I guess. I thought it was a compressor.

Hal
12-17-2017, 12:25 PM
If it was true, there was a utube video that a guy filmed a mouse getting out of a 5 gal bucket.
I didn't belive it until I saw the video. I would have lost money on that bet. :)
I added RV anti freeze to the bottom of my 5 gal mouse trap.

Hal

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-17-2017, 12:34 PM
If it was true, there was a utube video that a guy filmed a mouse getting out of a 5 gal bucket.
I didn't belive it until I saw the video. I would have lost money on that bet. :)
I added RV anti freeze to the bottom of my 5 gal mouse trap.

Hal

Isn't RV anti freeze non-toxic? Soapy water might be even harder for the mouse to deal with. I wonder if the smell of either is a deterrent though.

Hal
12-17-2017, 01:51 PM
I didn't want to use auto anti freeze because I have a dog.
I think the RV anti freeze helps with the smell if you don't check your mouse trap everyday.

Hal

Ridgerunner
12-17-2017, 02:45 PM

It's actually saved me a lot of grief, money, and work since every time we get a mouse in the house if there is any chance it's gotten into the kitchen, pantry or cutlery the wife does a very thorough (read expensive) sweep. Life is easier now.

If you want to make your own tig rod holders out of thin plastic pipe, sdr 26 or sdr 21 pipe is a good choice. In 2" sdr 26 the wall is .091", sdr 21 is .113". In this area sdr 21 is pretty common for irrigation pipe and for long rural water lines. Common schedule 40 glue fittings work size wise with this pipe so they can be found at the big box stores. sdr 26 and sdr 21 dimensions (http://cresline.com/pdf/cresline/pvcpressurepipe&ftgs/pvc761lw.pdf). schedule 40 dimensions (scroll down) (http://www.harrisonplastic.com/pvcschedule40-80specs.html#schpipedim). All 2" Od's the same so fittings will work.

danlb
12-18-2017, 02:14 AM
When did they start putting motors, big pulleys, cylinders and tanks on a plasma torch? Wow! I'm really behind the times, I guess. I thought it was a compressor.

LOL. How did you miss that much silliness AND a smiley face too! It twas a joke, good sir!

But the point was valid. Plasma cutters use a lot of compressed air so the compressor is a valid accessory to the torch.

Dan

Black Forest
12-18-2017, 05:11 AM
Yeah the only welding I do now is Mig with argon cover gas (i.e. no flux core wire and no stick welding). So there should not be more pollutants coming off of it than Tig, which should be the cleanest burning, normally. And maybe it's just me in terms of sensitivity, but I've watched many videos of other people welding either Tig or gas covered Mig and you can see the weld smoke creeping right up under their masks, even outside in "quiescent" (i.e. still) air. By necessity, you need to keep your face right up to the weld area to see what's going on. And, without vacuum fume removal and/or fresh air breathing supply or filtration respirator, it necessitates inhalation of that smoke. It's just hard for me to believe that breathing those vapors is benign, especially with long term exposure. Not trying to be safety a nazi, just my own personal experience with respiratory/throat irritation after welding.

I use a Speedglas helmet with the Adflo blower. It creates a positive pressure in the helmet to keep fumes out. The blower is worn on a belt and it sits on your lower back. It has filters for the air. The main reason I use it is to keep the lens defrosted. Works perfect. If I use a regular helmet I find I hold my breath in order to stop fogging the lens. So then I am hurrying to get through the weld before I run out of air! My eyes don't adjust for the light very well so if I have to weld something I need to put on my helmet and wait a couple of minutes for my eyes to adjust.

Machine
12-18-2017, 08:29 AM
I use a Speedglas helmet with the Adflo blower. It creates a positive pressure in the helmet to keep fumes out. The blower is worn on a belt and it sits on your lower back. It has filters for the air. The main reason I use it is to keep the lens defrosted. Works perfect. If I use a regular helmet I find I hold my breath in order to stop fogging the lens. So then I am hurrying to get through the weld before I run out of air! My eyes don't adjust for the light very well so if I have to weld something I need to put on my helmet and wait a couple of minutes for my eyes to adjust.

I also have the same problem with fogging the lens up. Wow, I looked the Adflow system up and it looks about perfect. Only bummer is that it seems to start around $1500 and goes up from there! OUCH I'll probably try to rig up a homebrew fume extractor and maybe get a higher quality respirator that fits better. Thanks for the heads up on the Adflow though, just wish it was more affordable.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-18-2017, 10:02 PM
I spent a few hours tonight cleaning up my Grizzly 10x18" horz saw (G9744Z). The before pictures are above somewhere in this thread. Below are the after pictures. Unfortunately, the saw didn't weather as well as the miller welders. The miller welders paint is still perfect everywhere that I could see and shined up like new. The saw is even newer (2006 vs 2005 welders) but the grizzly prep and paint job was no where near the quality of the welders. A few places the paint is flaking off. I remember grizzly sent a "touch-up" paint can with the saw as a standard item included with the accessories. If I can find it in my shop I'll try using it but I wonder if it's still good being ~12 years old now. She did clean up nice though but unpainted surfaces do show their age..

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/clean_saw1.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/clean_saw2.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/clean_saw5.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/clean_saw11.jpg

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-18-2017, 10:04 PM
http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/clean_saw7.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/clean_saw8.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/clean_saw12.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/clean_saw14.jpg

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-18-2017, 10:09 PM
Next I'll start cleaning up the G8145 14" vertical bandsaw

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/clean_saw15.jpg

danlb
12-18-2017, 10:49 PM
Next I'll start cleaning up the G8145 14" vertical bandsaw

Betcha I know the first step on that one. :)

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-18-2017, 11:14 PM
Actually, I forgot about the coolant system. I checked my online orders from back then and it looks like I ordered a gallon of Kool-Mist #78 from ENCO. I'll have to open up the coolant access panel and hope there isn't a really nasty surprise in there. I don't remember if I drained it or not. Hehe, looks like Kool-Mist has jacked up their prices. The gallon of Kool-Mist #78 from ENCO was $15.95. It now costs $41 :)

Thank you for your order. We are currently processing your order.

Bill to:

Customer Number: 00448123

Summary for Order Number: 57115395 : 09/28/2006

You have Applied the following promotions:

WBNRCT6 - Free UPS Shipping on orders of $50 or more!

Packing
Slip No.
Status
Invoice
Date
Invoice
Number
Ship
Date
Tracking Info
Total
Price

IN_PROCESS

Not Available
$105.30

Model No.
Description
Qty.
Price
Ext. Price

ND825-8550
ENCO 1PINT NO. 1 CUTTING FLUID
$2.89
$2.89

ND320-0827
1-1/4 X 3/4 X 2 HSS 6FL SEM
$13.99
$13.99

505-2074
1 GALLON #78 KOOLMIST COOLANT
$15.95
$15.95

ND510-1246
5/8-11 H3 4FL BOTT CLEV HSS HAND TAP
$15.59
$15.59

ND307-3730
3/4 X 3/4 3 IN.FLUTE TIN COAT CSE/TH RG S.E.M.
$25.99
$25.99

ND320-7370
1 X 3/4 TIN COAT CSE/TH RG S.E.M.
$30.89
$30.89

Sub Total
$105.30

bborr01
12-19-2017, 10:20 AM

I know of two guys who were welders for their whole careers. Both of them died within the last few years. Both of them were also 99 years old. Back when they were welding they didn't use smog hogs and stuff like that. It almost makes me wonder if there is some magic minerals that you consume when you breathe welding smoke.

Brian

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-19-2017, 10:27 AM
I know of two guys who were welders for their whole careers. Both of them died within the last few years. Both of them were also 99 years old. Back when they were welding they didn't use smog hogs and stuff like that. It almost makes me wonder if there is some magic minerals that you consume when you breathe welding smoke.

Brian

Hopefully that's not 99 years combined :)

bborr01
12-19-2017, 10:56 AM
I couldn't find any pictures that show how dirty they were. I did find some pictures when I first bought them back in 2005.

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/DSCN6669.JPG

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/DSCN6656.JPG

What is the winch for and what is it mounted on? It looks like an air tank of some sort but it also looks like it has bolts tapped into it.

Brian

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-19-2017, 11:08 AM
What is the winch for and what is it mounted on? It looks like an air tank of some sort but it also looks like it has bolts tapped into it.

Brian

That was winch for a snow plow I made awhile ago (2006). It's not touching that 100lb propane tank behind it -- just looks like it is.

http://www.bbssystem.com/snowplow/p2e.jpg

Willy
12-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Maybe it's just the photo but to my eye at least the plow mount looks delicate, how did it work out?

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Maybe it's just the photo but to my eye at least the plow mount looks delicate, how did it work out?

It was constructed with thick wall (~1/8") square tubing. The mount was fine. The main problem I remember having is with the winch not being strong enough. I think there was a marginal connection somewhere that I couldn't find as it didn't seem to be pulling much current and would stall. Also, I used 2 manual jacks to angle the blade so I would have to get out of the truck and make adjustments so I basically just angled it once then cleared the driveway with just one angle setting. Taking it on and off was also a PITA but I had a lot of fun building it. I just hired someone to plow the driveway after I had my fun.

http://www.bbssystem.com/snowplow/plowd2.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/snowplow/pu7.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/snowplow/p2a.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/snowplow/pu1.jpg

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-19-2017, 11:48 AM
http://www.bbssystem.com/snowplow/pu6.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/snowplow/pu3.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/snowplow/plowd1.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/snowplow/p2u.jpg

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Also I was expecting those jacks to prevent expanding which they didn't so I had to keep the blade from pulling on the rams with those blue straps. I wouldn't have used jacks if I knew the rams are basically floating on the fluid (won't compress but you can pull them out).

sid pileski
12-19-2017, 12:44 PM
I think I recall the great plow build of 2006.
It caused much speculation as to it's longevity. :-)

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-19-2017, 01:02 PM
I think I recall the great plow build of 2006.
It caused much speculation as to it's longevity. :-)

Yup, there was a lot of concerns about structural integrity. It never had any durability issues, but it was a lot more cumbersome to use than I was expecting it to be. It did work fine but it was a PITA without real hydraulics but I didn't want to get that deep into building one. It was suppose to be a big snow shovel that I could quickly attach to the truck and just clear the driveway in a few minutes but it took like an hour with too much fiddling.

I think people must have thought I was going to level mountains with it.

Dan Dubeau
12-19-2017, 01:22 PM
I hit a tree root plowing last night and I think the body shifted 2" forward on the frame of the jeep. Stopped me dead. That plow and mount wouldn't work for me and my driveway. If you had a nice flat paved driveway I could see where that would be a whole lot better than shoveling.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-19-2017, 01:54 PM
I hit a tree root plowing last night and I think the body shifted 2" forward on the frame of the jeep. Stopped me dead. That plow and mount wouldn't work for me and my driveway. If you had a nice flat paved driveway I could see where that would be a whole lot better than shoveling.

Exactly, it was for clearing a nice flat paved blacktop driveway without any land mines, trees, or two ton boulders in the way. I must have been the only one with a nice driveway.

bborr01
12-19-2017, 02:15 PM

Doesn't your plow flip forward when you hit something? I plowed snow commercially for several years with a jeep and pickup and all the plows had a trip feature that allowed them to flip forward if you hit something like a crack in the concrete or a root. Meyers and Western plows back then.

Brian

Dan Dubeau
12-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Doesn't your plow flip forward when you hit something? I plowed snow commercially for several years with a jeep and pickup and all the plows had a trip feature that allowed them to flip forward if you hit something like a crack in the concrete or a root. Meyers and Western plows back then.

Brian

It's an arctic poly plow and it's a trip edge. But it only goes so far. Works great for the dips and inconsistencies in my driveway. But for anything bigger still stop the whole works. My driveway isn't flat, nor straight (nor in good shape).

dbq49er
12-19-2017, 04:08 PM
I got to the ninth page and it came to me. If I had all this unused equipment for a decade would I really post pics on this kind of blog? This more sounds of ego mania than anything, now we went to a plow mania. I am done Merry Christmas!

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-19-2017, 04:24 PM
I got to the ninth page and it came to me. If I had all this unused equipment for a decade would I really post pics on this kind of blog? This more sounds of ego mania than anything, now we went to a plow mania. I am done Merry Christmas!

I actually only see 3 pages so I want to see the rest. EDIT: Ahh, I had enabled more posts per page.

Dan Dubeau
12-19-2017, 04:52 PM
I actually only see 3 pages so I want to see the rest. EDIT: Ahh, I had enabled more posts per page.

Not only do you have to have to brag about your welding equipment, but you have to brag about your more posts per page too.....;)

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Not only do you have to have to brag about your welding equipment, but you have to brag about your more posts per page too.....;)

You only saw welding equipment? Where the heck did the posts with the really good stuff go! ;)

dbq49er
12-19-2017, 07:27 PM
Not only do you need help in the shop but your computer skills need up grading, BIGLY!!

Mark Rand
12-19-2017, 08:16 PM
I like the idea of a tray for ceramics, collets etc. That's going on next year's welding trolley project. And to Willy et al. using plastic pipe for TIG filler storage is another plus, mine's in an assortment of different containers that don't fit together. MMA/SMAW/stick rods are already accounted for in their own containers and heated quiver. It'll be nice to get the welding stuff portable and self contained instead of scattered around the workshop as it is now.

Thanks for an educational thread.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-19-2017, 08:35 PM
Not only do you need help in the shop but your computer skills need up grading, BIGLY!!

Yes, I'm not very computer literate but I'm slowly getting there.

Willy
12-19-2017, 10:38 PM

Someone could use a brush-up on people skills.:)

Yes, I'm not very computer literate but I'm slowly getting there.

Are you going to tell him or should I. LOL