PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Cabin Fever Show is just around the corner !

Rich Carlstedt
12-18-2017, 01:15 PM
There is a great show for those into machining projects and / or models.
Besides seeing George and thanking him in person for this forum, and maybe buying some magazines and books, there are many,many Vendor Sales Booths such as Tormach and their fully operating CNC's , or the Little Machine Shop and always the massive tool sales at the Auction . If you never have visited the show, it is a good one !

Details from their website:

The 22nd Annual Model Engineering Show
Saturday, January 13th - 9AM-5PM
Sunday, January 14th - 9AM-3PM

Friday, January 12th
Auction Begins @ 10AM
Preview Begins @ 8:30AM

LEBANON VALLEY EXPO CENTER
80 Rocherty Rd.
Lebanon, PA 17042

Rich

George Bulliss
12-18-2017, 02:10 PM
We'll see you there Rich!

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-18-2017, 02:16 PM
Wow, so soon!! I'd love to bring my Son but I'll probably wait until my shop is fully functional and he's been properly introduced to everything before I bring him to a machining expo. He loves going to expos.

loose nut
12-18-2017, 06:27 PM
Wish they would take it back to York, much better venue.

duckman
12-18-2017, 06:44 PM
Loosenut it's a money thing 4 years ago York wanted $25,000.00 up front I got this straight from Jared, Lebanon made him a better offer and will work with him if the weather hurts him, there was no guaranty from York.
PS George I'll see you at CFE.

PStechPaul
12-19-2017, 03:23 AM
I will probably go this year, weather permitting. I also prefer York but mostly because it is only an hour's drive while Lebanon is about 2-1/2. But most people will probably have to fly or take all day driving, so I can't really complain. Last year I planned to attend but the weather was not great, and I had gall bladder surgery only a couple weeks before. I really haven't done any machining this year - mostly outdoor work and some electronics projects. I am now working on a BMS for lithium cells (and possibly also lead-acid batteries), using a "flying capacitor" design.

Hope to see some of you guys at the show!

polaraligned
12-19-2017, 06:18 AM
Wow, so soon!! I'd love to bring my Son but I'll probably wait until my shop is fully functional and he's been properly introduced to everything before I bring him to a machining expo. He loves going to expos.

That is really no reason not to bring him to Cabin Fever Expo. I have brought my kids since they were in strollers and they always enjoyed it. There is plenty of entertainment for the kids from the giant boat pond, to the dirt area, to the model trains, to just being amazed watching all the engines operate. I certainly would not call it a machining expo as the focus is on the end products of hobby machinists and not the machining itself.

reggie_obe
12-19-2017, 06:25 AM

IMTS it's not.

loose nut
12-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Loosenut it's a money thing 4 years ago York wanted $25,000.00 up front I got this straight from Jared, Lebanon made him a better offer and will work with him if the weather hurts him, there was no guaranty from York.
PS George I'll see you at CFE.

I know it's a money thing, everything is about the money but the Lebanon venue still sucks.

reggie_obe
12-19-2017, 09:59 AM
I know it's a money thing, everything is about the money but the Lebanon venue still sucks.

Valley Forge/King of Prussia convention center is very nice. Close to the highway, easy load-in, load-out.

George Bulliss
12-19-2017, 10:03 AM

I hear that from a lot of folks, but I actually prefer the new place. Perhaps it's because I'm looking at things from the other side of the tables. My hearing is pretty poor and in the big, open halls of the York venue I couldn't hear a damn thing, even if the guy was two feet away. I still miss about every other word, but the smaller rooms make it possible for me to at least get part of a conversation in.

The town is certainly smaller though and this year I took too long to book rooms and couldn't get in where I wanted to. Not too many other choices around.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-19-2017, 10:09 AM
That is really no reason not to bring him to Cabin Fever Expo. I have brought my kids since they were in strollers and they always enjoyed it. There is plenty of entertainment for the kids from the giant boat pond, to the dirt area, to the model trains, to just being amazed watching all the engines operate. I certainly would not call it a machining expo as the focus is on the end products of hobby machinists and not the machining itself.

Wow, sounds like he would have a blast. I'll check out the flights and such for this year.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Wow, sounds like he would have a blast. I'll check out the flights and such for this year.

Any suggestions on what hotel(s) are nice in the area? Any other attractions in the area worth allocating time for?

George Bulliss
12-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Any suggestions on what hotel(s) are nice in the area? Any other attractions in the area worth allocating time for?

I've only stayed at the Holiday Inn in Lebanon, but that ones full. Staying at the Hampton south of the show this time; was a bit more pricey and I know I'll hear about it when I turn in my expense report.

Hershey isn't too far away and it looks like there are lots of options there.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Any exotic car rental firms near the airport? That always makes the more distant hotels more enjoyable :)

sasquatch
12-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Hopefully some one will take pics as Errol Groff used to do.

Stu
12-21-2017, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=Rich Carlstedt;1150059]There is a great show for those into machining projects and / or models.
Besides seeing George and thanking him in person for this forum, and maybe buying some magazines and books, there are many,many Vendor Sales Booths such as Tormach and their fully operating CNC's , or the Little Machine Shop and always the massive tool sales at the Auction . If you never have visited the show, it is a good one !

Rich, will you be exhibiting this year? I really enjoyed seeing and talking to you about your scale model of the Monitor last year. Stu

Rich Carlstedt
12-21-2017, 10:55 PM
For you Stu, I will do it !
I was thinking of bringing another engine, but will be doing research on John Ericson at a museum in Philly and they may also wish to see the Monitor's engine so that seals it !

Travel Safe my friends ...

Rich

Stu
12-22-2017, 10:56 AM
Rich, you don't have to bring it on my account, seeing another one of your engines would be cool too. Stu

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-22-2017, 12:14 PM
How many HSM folks are planning to go this year? Anyone interested in a group dinner at a local restaurant Saturday night?

PStechPaul
12-22-2017, 03:40 PM
I might be interested. At the two CFs I attended in York, the MEM attendees had dinner at the popular White Rose restaurant. I don't know if they will be getting together in Lebanon or if there are suitable venues nearby. I think the show ends at 5 PM and I will be commuting from Cockeysville, MD, so I don't want to hang around for a late dinner and long drive home. Maybe start another thread with a poll to get a head count.

George Seal
12-22-2017, 06:54 PM
plan on being there

Wearing military vest and USS Mullany DD 528 hat