PDA

View Full Version : Aduino help please.

Dan Dubeau
12-27-2017, 10:07 AM
Dumb Arduino question #1/many.

Got this (https://www.amazon.ca/Kuman-Project-Tutorials-Mega2560-included/dp/B0188TO4VU/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514386104&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=arduinno) arduino kit for christmas and I'm having issues getting the computer to even recognize it. When I first plugged it into my Laptop (lenovo p50 w/windows 10) it made the connection beep, but wouldn't show up in device manager. I used the add legacy hardware option to install a driver for it from the cd, but it still wouldn't connect. Uninstalled everything, reset everything, different cable, different computer (acer aspire w/windows 7), but I still get the same thing. The on light comes on, and the "l" light blink rapidly at first, then a slow steady blink.

In my initial googling, I read about the cheap copies using a different usb chip, so I downloaded and installed drivers for that. Still nothing. Then after more googling I realized that wasn't the problem with this Uno. Now I'm at the point where I'm reading about using flip to re flash the firmware. But I don't think I can even do that because it won't even connect..... I'm not getting the connection beep anymore (with either computer). Did I kill it, or do something wrong by installing those ch340 usb drivers?

If it's not apparent by now, I don't have the foggiest clue what I'm doing. I'm at the stage right now where I'm chasing my tail in circles. I'm lost, any idea's? Should I take this as a sign I wasn't meant to learn and play with this stuff lol. Should I hand it too my 5 year old to figure out?

I've got way more time involved in this so far than I'd like to admit.

KJ1I
12-27-2017, 10:17 AM
Have you installed the Arduino IDE on your computer yet? https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Dan Dubeau
12-27-2017, 10:35 AM
Have you installed the Arduino IDE on your computer yet? https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Yes, first thing I did before I even plugged it in. I've since uninstalled and reinstalled it in an attempt to go back to zero. It's currently uninstalled.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-27-2017, 10:56 AM
Try going into Control Panel/Device Manager, then under serial, uninstall all serial/USB drivers you see. Then try reinstalling the IDE and then connect the Arduino.

MattiJ
12-27-2017, 10:57 AM
It should show up as a serial port on device manager.

If not you have likely some usb related problem: try different computer, unplug all other usb hardware, try with and without usb hub and try usb connectors on different side of laptop.

Dan Dubeau
12-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Try going into Control Panel/Device Manager, then under serial, uninstall all serial/USB drivers you see. Then try reinstalling the IDE and then connect the Arduino.

https://i.imgur.com/E05rF6pl.png

This? for all?

Dan Dubeau
12-27-2017, 11:13 AM
It should show up as a serial port on device manager.

If not you have likely some usb related problem: try different computer, unplug all other usb hardware, try with and without usb hub and try usb connectors on different side of laptop.

I've tried every usb plug on every computer in the house.

browne92
12-27-2017, 11:20 AM
Like MattiJ said, it will show up as a serial port in device manager. Look under Com Ports and see if there is a strange numbered on like Com 3 or Com 5. If there is, it is connecting just fine. Then under the Tools menu in the IDE, you have to set the board type, processor type, and com port.

Best of luck.

3 Phase Lightbulb
12-27-2017, 11:21 AM
https://i.imgur.com/E05rF6pl.png

This? for all?

Don't uninstall anything under "Universal Serial Bus"... Look up a few items for "Serial Ports".... Open that item up and remove everything.. Unless you can specifically tell what you're uninstalling under "Universal Serial Bus"..

I can't read that, but if you're selecting "Uninstall Driver" then yes, do that for everything under Serial Port.. You might end up uninstalling something you need for another device, but you'll be avble to re-install it later. For now, uninstall everything under serial and then re-install the software then plug it in and try again.

Frugalguido
12-27-2017, 11:33 AM
Also look on the Arduino IDE, under tools. Be sure to select the board , in your case UNO. Then under port, select which driver to use. On my clones I use, /dev/cu/wchusbserial 1460

Dan Dubeau
12-27-2017, 11:57 AM
Like MattiJ said, it will show up as a serial port in device manager. Look under Com Ports and see if there is a strange numbered on like Com 3 or Com 5. If there is, it is connecting just fine. Then under the Tools menu in the IDE, you have to set the board type, processor type, and com port.

Best of luck.

it doesn't show up there unless I use the "add legacy hardware" and install the driver manually. "ports" doesn't even show up at all in my device manager until I do that. when I open it up it says this device cannot start.
https://i.imgur.com/xCCXeI9l.png

BobinOK
12-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Could be it needs to be programed with the Arudino IDE with the proper emulation, port and board before it knows it is suppose to be a serial device.

browne92
12-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Looks like it's finding the arduino. Go into the IDE, set the board, chip, and port, and give it a try.

Mike Amick
12-27-2017, 02:04 PM
I'm betting your good to go and don't even know it.

When you go to tools (in the IDE) .. are you saying that there are no comm ports listed ?

Select any/every one listed .. and

Just connect everything back up .. IN the IDE load up
Files/examples/blink and send it to the arduino.

watch close at the bottom of the screen for the messages it is telling you.

As far as not sure you can do it ... nawww .. you got this. Just study the blink
program until you can write it .. start to finish (its not that long). Once you have
the basic construct of a sketch (program) down ... setup() loop() etc, your foundation is
set. Then just look at the arduino reference and think of it as tools you can use.

Puckdropper
12-27-2017, 09:29 PM
I had no end of trouble with a generic Arduino clone not working on Windows 7. Same issue, different USB chip. It works just fine on an old iBook running Mint-PPC (way out of date) so that's what I've been using to program it.

Do you have another computer to try?

Dan Dubeau
12-27-2017, 10:47 PM
Sorry, didn't realize that picture was as unreadable as it is.

In the IDE the ports menu is grayed out. I'm pretty sure my computer (both that I've tried) is not even seeing it. Nothing pops up in device manager when I plug it in. The fact that I can use the add legacy hardware option to get it to show up under ports in device manager doesn't have me convinced as I can do that with it not even connected.....

https://i.imgur.com/fuLcEtY.png

In the above pic, It's plugged in, and blinking the "L" led.

Is there a chance this board is a dud and no matter what I do I'm just pissing in the wind. Or am I the dud and I'm just missing something obvious here. I didn't anticipate this much jacking around with stuff, and kinda figured it would be more plug and play (aside from the whole programming part of it).

I'm going to give it another try from scratch tomorrow, but I don't have high hopes for anything different. I'll give it until noon then I'm ordering another one.

Thanks for the help.

TRX
12-27-2017, 11:08 PM
Go to eBay or Amazon and order a few extra boards. You'll wind up using them for projects anyway... one of mine just wound up as part of the temperature controller on my tempering oven.

IanPendle
12-27-2017, 11:22 PM
There was an issue if Windows assigned a COM port with a number higher than 10 to the Arduino. I can't read the assigned number on your screen capture on my laptop.

Ian.

RichR
12-28-2017, 12:16 AM
There was an issue if Windows assigned a COM port with a number higher than 10 to the Arduino. I can't read the assigned number on your screen capture on my laptop.

Ian.

It's says COM13.

IanPendle
12-28-2017, 12:56 AM
It's says COM13.

If this is indeed the cause of your problems, then my Arduino booklet says to do this:

"Look for the serial devices in the list under "Ports COM and LPT". Find a serial device that you are not using that is numbered COM 9 or lower. Right click it and choose Properties from the menu. The choose the Port Settings tab and click Advanced. Set the COM port to COM 10 or higher. Click OK and OK again to dismiss the Properties dialog box.

Now do the same with the USB Serial Port device that represents the Arduino, with one change: assign it the COM Port number (COM9 or lower) that you just freed up.

HTH, Ian.

Mike Amick
12-28-2017, 02:22 AM
It may be using a FTDI chip ... download the drivers here

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

PStechPaul
12-28-2017, 03:20 AM
I have been doing a lot of work with Microchip PICs lately, but I found my Arduino (I think it's a Chinese copy "Geekcreit" from Banggood), and I opened the "Blink"sketch. I am using USB-Serial CH340 (COM14). I am using "ArduinoISP" for the programmer (yours says "AVRISP mk11"). It looks like your Arduino is on COM13 but it cannot start. That may be a problem with the driver or the hardware. You might try uninstalling the driver and then plug it in again to see if it installs OK.

Dan Dubeau
12-28-2017, 10:28 AM
It's com13 now, but I believe it started off as com4. Every time I uninstall/reinstall it goes up a number. I don't believe "installing" that way by adding legacy hardware is actually doing anything, because I can do that without it even connected. The computer (both) just don't seem to know it's there.

Ian.

I just ordered 2 more. A heat treat oven was one of the eventual uses I want one for. After I figure out how to plug it in.....ha ha.

I've got an old XP workstation buried in the rubble in the basement I'm going to try it on, hopefully today.

RB211
12-28-2017, 11:45 AM
As far as I know, theres at least three different usb to serial converter chips floating around on various Arduino boards. You installed the CH340 driver? Cheap clones from Hong Kong usually use that. PSTechPaul is correct.

Dan Dubeau
12-28-2017, 01:19 PM
As far as I know, theres at least three different usb to serial converter chips floating around on various Arduino boards. You installed the CH340 driver? Cheap clones from Hong Kong usually use that. PSTechPaul is correct.

I did initially install that driver thinking that was the problem. After looking at it more and comparing my board to others on the net, that wasn't it.

Dan Dubeau
01-03-2018, 08:16 PM
New arduino's arrived today. Plugged them in and both were instantly recognized by windows as a serial device. Updated the drivers, and both new ones working as they should be. Tried original one again, and it's still doing the same thing as it was. Windows doesn't see it at all. I'm going to send it back for an exchange.

I hate trouble shooting computer stuff. Mechanical stuff is no problem for me, hydraulic's I can logically pick my way through, simple electronics I can sometimes fumble my way through but computer stuff always has me pulling my hair out with no idea what I'm doing.

Anyway, thanks all who tried to steer me in the right direction. I appreciate it. Now I can spend some time trying to figure out how to program and use this thing......:)

Paul Alciatore
01-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Glad you are up and running. Yes, troubleshooting these devices can be difficult and substitution is often the best way. I have had to troubleshoot devices that had dozens of boards with hundreds of digital chips on them. Talk about fun. Can you say "Factory Engineer"?

I remember one in particular where they advised me to try different series of logic chips (74xx, 74Lxx, 74Hxx, 74Sxx etc.) to fine tune the timing. Hit and miss style. Duhhhhh?

New arduino's arrived today. Plugged them in and both were instantly recognized by windows as a serial device. Updated the drivers, and both new ones working as they should be. Tried original one again, and it's still doing the same thing as it was. Windows doesn't see it at all. I'm going to send it back for an exchange.

I hate trouble shooting computer stuff. Mechanical stuff is no problem for me, hydraulic's I can logically pick my way through, simple electronics I can sometimes fumble my way through but computer stuff always has me pulling my hair out with no idea what I'm doing.

Anyway, thanks all who tried to steer me in the right direction. I appreciate it. Now I can spend some time trying to figure out how to program and use this thing......:)

J Tiers
01-03-2018, 10:22 PM
Wasn't there some comment a while back on here about the copy units?

I seem to recall that using the wrong S/W would brick them permanently. If so that may have occurred.

Dan Dubeau
01-03-2018, 11:15 PM
Wasn't there some comment a while back on here about the copy units?

I seem to recall that using the wrong S/W would brick them permanently. If so that may have occurred.

You might be on to something. I do remember it made the "connection" sound initially, but failed to do anything thereafter. I'm wondering if that initial power up fried something, or If I did something different after that, that turned it into a paper weight. I've got an email to the mother ship about a return and am waiting on a reply. Amazon is usually really good about returns, but I hate to send something back if it was my fault if it broke. Especially if I'm doing something wrong that might wreck the other ones.

RB211
01-03-2018, 11:54 PM
There’s been a rash of FTDI counterfeits our there, and FTDI released a newer driver that apparently bricked them. FTDI are idiots, because rather than risking that, I will just buy their competition, no worries.

PStechPaul
01-04-2018, 02:41 AM
Some details are here:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/ftdi-admits-to-bricking-innocent-users-chips-in-silent-update/

It says it programs the USB PID (Product ID) to zero.

More:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/10/ftdis-anti-counterfeiting-efforts-sit-between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place/

Bricked USB:
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/NYCR_USB_deaddrop-1-640x426.jpg

Dan Dubeau
01-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Hmmm interesting. So, if I'm reading and interpreting that article right it would mean that the initial arduino I got from Elegoo in late November contains a counterfeit chip because it bricked on plug in, whereas the 2 arduino's I just bought from the same manufacture at the end of December contain genuine chips be cause they both work fine. I find that highly unlikely, but then again I know nothing of this stuff and how possible that could actually be. The first one came as part of a kit, but the second 2 were individual, so I guess it's possible they came from different pipes in the supply chain....

Dan Dubeau
01-04-2018, 09:38 AM
I've brought them all to work with me to give it one last shot at a different computer. Currently installing the IDE. Will update if I get into Arduino masonry.

Edit: It's toast.

MattiJ
01-04-2018, 10:16 AM
Uno is a bit oddball and does not use FTDI chip so you can ignore the warnings about it.

Dan Dubeau
01-04-2018, 10:25 AM
Also interesting. So something else caused this Arduino to brick itself? Possibly me.

Amazon approved the return, it's going back today.

EVguru
01-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Hmmm interesting. So, if I'm reading and interpreting that article right it would mean that the initial arduino I got from Elegoo in late November contains a counterfeit chip because it bricked on plug in, whereas the 2 arduino's I just bought from the same manufacture at the end of December contain genuine chips be cause they both work fine. I find that highly unlikely, but then again I know nothing of this stuff and how possible that could actually be. The first one came as part of a kit, but the second 2 were individual, so I guess it's possible they came from different pipes in the supply chain....

No, FTDI withdrew the driver that bricked clone chips due to the bad publicity it gained.

FTDIs attitude was that you should buy direct from them to ensure that you had a genuine chip, but they often simply couldn't supply enough of them.

Manufacturers would approach wholesalers to make up the shortfall and then chip brokers if that failed. Some or all of the chips sourced may have been fakes.

FTDI were upset that they weren't selling chips they couldn't supply and decided to punish the end user, who had bought the product in good faith.

If the new driver (bundled in a Windows update) had simply flagged that the chip was fake, warned that the performance might not be up to FTDI specs and recommended contacting the supplier, then that would just have been annoying. Instead, they just rewrote the USB ID to zero and the user had no idea why their device had died.

Dan Dubeau
01-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Had some fun today playing around with the kiddo's.

Just getting started doing some of the examples, but having fun and learning. My Son's eyes lit up when he started moving the servo motor by twisting the pot, and immediately looked at me and said "we can make a robot with this thing". That's what it's all about. Building stuff and having fun. Looking forward to getting deeper down this rabbit hole. It's going to open up a lot of fun possibilities.

https://i.imgur.com/CGrrH5hm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YNZcK13m.jpg

Now I gotta go sharpen some scissors, so I can cut that mop on the boy....lol

Thanks for all the help