PDA

View Full Version : Goofy lube system....

J Tiers
08-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Picked up an old small compressor that I think I have a use for. While cleaning it up and checking it out, I noticed the lube to the compressor portion.

For the piston, there are two felt half-circles around the bottom of the cylinder. On the ID of the felt, there are a total of 6 "teeth" that go thru holes in the cylinder at the bottom, and will just touch the piston. Oil in the felt, wicked over, lubes the piston and pin.

The same unit has a bent tube oiler for the big end. One end goes partway thru the crankpin, and has a side hole to deliver oil. The other end rides in a hole in the backplate of the crankcase, and receives oil from an oil hole.

I thought that was an odd combo of old steamengine-style and wierd kludge oiling systems.

Buckshot
08-22-2004, 05:14 AM
.........Probably all cast iron. Probably all honest parts, and low speed. I'd also hazard that it'll still be working 50 years from now :-).

Best,
Rick

J Tiers
08-22-2004, 09:29 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Buckshot:
.........Probably all cast iron. Probably all honest parts, and low speed. I'd also hazard that it'll still be working 50 years from now :-).

Best,
Rick</font>

Cylinder cast iron, Piston probably chromed, NO RINGS.

Crankcase, including lube tube "bearing" aluminum.

CCWKen
08-22-2004, 10:49 PM
No Rings???? I wonder if the bore and piston are tapered?

You should see some of "oil systems" they used in old auto engines. Flywheel spash with catch tubes and gravity feed to the front. Go up a hill and all the oil runs to the back of the tranmission. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

J Tiers
08-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Pulled the crankshaft for the compressor, and found.......a ring oiling system!

First one I have run across. I suspected it from the shape of the reservoir.

Just goes to show that long ago, even cheaper stuff (which this clearly is) were built pretty well.

Oh, the ring oiler was in good shape, with oil in it, and the bearings showed hardly any wear. That system does work pretty darn well.

jim davies
08-23-2004, 08:48 PM
First compressor I ever owned was a buy&sell paper special and cheap. So old, the tank had rivets, the compressor was heavy cast iron,an opposed 2 stage- 2cylinder. No motor. Spent my last dollars buying a new 2hp motor and belts. When I fired it up that sucker went across the shop floor like a conga line. Took an end cover off the compressor and their was one crankpin, one rod, one large cast iron piston, two laaarge rings bolted to the bottom of this piston, with the other long cast iron piston bolted to it. Musta been over 10 pounds of cast flopping back and forth, all unbalanced.