PDA

View Full Version : Kreg vise grip style clamp WOW!

Abner
12-30-2017, 07:07 PM
I was visiting a Rockler Store when my son-in law came to get me to show me these clamps.

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c28/project-clamps-and-face-clamps/p387/3-wood-project-clamp/

What just amazed me was the automatic adjustment between different thicknesses of material. The time I have spent adjusting vise grip style welding clamps make these a must have.

chipmaker4130
12-30-2017, 07:49 PM
I've got a pair of auto-adjust pliers (I think they are ViseGrip brand). Had them at least 25 years but don't use 'em much as they never seem to clamp hard enough without manually adjusting them anyway. Maybe the new ones are better. If you bought them, let me know how they perform in actual use. Maybe I'll try them again.

Dan Dubeau
12-30-2017, 08:36 PM
I've got a pair of auto-adjust pliers (I think they are ViseGrip brand). Had them at least 25 years but don't use 'em much as they never seem to clamp hard enough without manually adjusting them anyway. Maybe the new ones are better. If you bought them, let me know how they perform in actual use. Maybe I'll try them again.

I've seen and used ones that have an adjustable screw for clamping force. They will auto adjust, but when they feel resistance will lock to the force you select via screw. Can't remember who made them, but they would be awesome in a deep throat welding type. The ones I used were standard "ViseGrip" style jaws.

flylo
12-30-2017, 09:22 PM
I keep a pair of these several places & in the trucks & planes Stanley 85-610 10-Inch Long MaxGrip Locking Adjustable Wrench And a set of OLYMPIA 10 & 14 in. Power Grip Pipe Wrenches.

chipmaker4130
12-30-2017, 09:30 PM
I've seen and used ones that have an adjustable screw for clamping force. They will auto adjust, but when they feel resistance will lock to the force you select via screw. Can't remember who made them, but they would be awesome in a deep throat welding type. The ones I used were standard "ViseGrip" style jaws.

Yeah, Dan. Those are the ones I have. They just don't seem very consistent, rather clunky actually.

Dan Dubeau
01-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Yeah, Dan. Those are the ones I have. They just don't seem very consistent, rather clunky actually.

Good to know they're not that good. I don't remember them being all that crappy, but I didn't use them for long. Can't even remember what it was on or for, only that I remember having them in my hand before and thinking damn that's cool. Probably at the race track fixing a bent or broken bike or something. I've got enough (yeah right) standard visegrips of all different types to get me by for most things, but never turn down an opportunity to buy more USA made ones at yard sales etc.

I've also got a bunch of those Irwin quick grip clamps. Not enough clamping force for machining but they're great when you need one handed operation to get a quick....grip on something.. I use them all the time at work for initially clamping stuff at odd angles to angle plates. Then use my Kant twist's to clamp before machining. Pretty hard to hold up a big plate against an angle plate with one hand while fiddling with a screw clamp in the other.

Wheels17
01-02-2018, 12:16 PM
I have a long reach (Model L-8) LeverWrench, which is the auto-adjusting locking plier. I bought it at a used tool store. I like it a lot, and have found it pretty useful. I have never seen another one at the used tools store, pawnshops, or estate sales.

danlb
01-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Where this style might shine is as welding clamps.

I'm thinking that many welding clamps are used to simply to keep two pieces touching each other, not necessarily with a great deal of force. They just need to keep the parts from moving as you weld them.

LKeithR
01-03-2018, 12:36 AM
Those Kreg clamps are OK for wood (I guess) but we tried a couple in the shop and they had a bad tendency to slip or "relax" their
grip over time. Seemed to be especially bad if you were flipping the part around to weld in various places...

MrFluffy
01-03-2018, 05:08 AM
Facom make auto adjust mole style clamps for metal clamping in a range of sizes, and theyre rather good. I've had a set for 20 years now and the pair of facom brevettes I found under the seat of a s/h motorcycle I bought are still my favourite quick clamp in the toolbox.
Often on philips screws when the head has been messed up by a previous owner and they are beyond the reach of my impact driver, its possible to clamp the curved section of the screw head and undo without having to resort to punching the screw head round with hammer/punch/small chisel.

Abner
01-03-2018, 08:19 AM
I haven't bought any yet and after reading what others have posted I may not. Weak clamping won't work for me.

I do have one favorite pair it has a flat washer welded onto the end of the adjustment screw. I can turn it with welding gloves on easily.

metalmagpie
01-03-2018, 02:34 PM
You can keep all these new-type vise grip clamps. I will stick to my US-made 11R and 6R clamps.

metalmagpie

LKeithR
01-04-2018, 12:07 AM
...You can keep all these new-type vise grip clamps. I will stick to my US-made 11R and 6R clamps...

Absolutely! There are many clones out there but none are better than the originals...

boslab
01-04-2018, 12:28 AM
Suppose they are OK for woodwork, the one I got for the pocket hole jig works just fine, don't think it will replace my carver clamp anytime soon
Mark