PDA

View Full Version : OT tank style printers

Stu
12-30-2017, 09:44 PM
I'm in the market for a new printer and am interested in any feed back on the new tank printers from Epson and Canon. Anyone using them and what do you think? Stu

KJ1I
12-30-2017, 09:58 PM
Model numbers?

danlb
12-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Interesting. I did not know that they had such a thing.

We handle the ink problem by using a laser for B&W and inkjet for color. Still not as cheap in the long haul as the tank models appear to be.

Dan

Paul Alciatore
12-31-2017, 02:48 AM
I have a real bad taste in my mouth as far as Epson, Cannon, and HP printers are concerned. Up to now they have been charging a higher mark up on ink than the movie theaters do on popcorn. So they are making printers with refillable tanks? I have to see this to believe it. Do they have soluble chips in the ink they sell so no one else's ink will work? Or how do they work the blackmail?

dave_r
12-31-2017, 03:21 AM
via higher up-front fee's (because they are owed that extra money), constant advertising that only their inks must be used or else the printer will explode and set their puppy on fire, stuff like that.

I've switched to a color laser printer. Still prints fine, even if it sits for 6 months, and doesn't vend a bunch of it's toner periodically as part of a cleaning cycle.

Oh, yeah, I forgot, also ink subscriptions. Just send them money every month.

MattiJ
12-31-2017, 04:21 AM
I have a real bad taste in my mouth as far as Epson, Cannon, and HP printers are concerned. Up to now they have been charging a higher mark up on ink than the movie theaters do on popcorn. So they are making printers with refillable tanks? I have to see this to believe it. Do they have soluble chips in the ink they sell so no one else's ink will work? Or how do they work the blackmail?

Tank retrofits have been really common for at least 10 years in Thailand but I haven't seen those on sale outside of asia.
They install set of external tanks and hoses to feed the ink to the printhead.

I'm not much fan of inkjets and color laser toner catridge pricing gives me also a rash...
Bought bottle/tank toner color laser for work and its great, but the prices start at one grand or so. :p

loose nut
12-31-2017, 10:40 AM
I had a tank retro fit on one of my printers, dirt cheap ink (the cost of the equipment was more then payed for by the equivalent amount of ink that came with it). Unfortunately the ink they use isn't the best for any particular printer and it buggered up the print heads. Still I used it for a couple of years, printed my brains out.

jmm03
12-31-2017, 11:07 AM
Hi , I have had an Epson ET-2500 for 8 months or so, good quality print copy, good scans, printed a bunch of copies and appears very frugal on ink use. Easy to set up. I had an HP before. If you have stock in HP you are probably alot richer from the dividends you recieved from me buying ink cartridges... Happy new year. Jim

RB211
12-31-2017, 02:57 PM
When I was serious into photography, I would just have stuff printed at Costco, because I was able to select the same color profiles as my desktop, usually Adobe RGB.
I now have a Brother 8360 color laser thats perfect for most everything, except for professional photographs. Cheapest way to print color.

CCWKen
12-31-2017, 02:59 PM
None of the ink printers are frugal. What they don't use for printing gets dumped into the bottom of the printer during cleaning cycles. My Brother MFC J8700 prints on CDs but you need special CDs. The darn thing will go through a cleaning cycle about once a week even if turned off. I discovered that by surprise. If I don't plan on using it for a while, which is more the norm for me, I'll unplug it. It will clean itself empty in a couple of months. So if you have an ink printer, you might as well use the heck out of it. The ink will be gone whether you use it or not. I still have the original cartridge in my four year old B&W laser. If I buy another printer, it will be a color laser.

RB211
12-31-2017, 03:47 PM
None of the ink printers are frugal. What they don't use for printing gets dumped into the bottom of the printer during cleaning cycles. My Brother MFC J8700 prints on CDs but you need special CDs. The darn thing will go through a cleaning cycle about once a week even if turned off. I discovered that by surprise. If I don't plan on using it for a while, which is more the norm for me, I'll unplug it. It will clean itself empty in a couple of months. So if you have an ink printer, you might as well use the heck out of it. The ink will be gone whether you use it or not. I still have the original cartridge in my four year old B&W laser. If I buy another printer, it will be a color laser.
They do that because if they don't, the ink will dry and clog up the print head. I personally will have nothing to do with inkjet printers.

H380
12-31-2017, 05:18 PM
Depends on you needs. I would suggest Laser printers because they use toner and not ink. Toner never dries up. Laser 100% over inkjet in the long run. A laser printer could sit unused for years without problems.

interiorpainter
12-31-2017, 05:21 PM
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20171231141605&SearchText=+ink+cartridge+ciss

The good old day where you put water in the empty cartridge and it worked again.

Mike Burch
12-31-2017, 06:41 PM
I've no experience of tank printers (indeed, have never heard of them), but I do have both inkjet and laser printers.
A word of caution—the colour laser will not print well on photo paper. Photos come out OK on ordinary paper, but on photo paper they look like crap. When I complained about this to Brother, the response was that laser printers are not intended to print on anything other than ordinary copy paper, a fact that doesn't get a mention in their advertising.
So for photos it's still the old Canon inkjet, and for everything else it's the cheaper-to-run laser.

danlb
12-31-2017, 08:06 PM
When I was serious into photography, I would just have stuff printed at Costco, because I was able to select the same color profiles as my desktop, usually Adobe RGB.
I now have a Brother 8360 color laser thats perfect for most everything, except for professional photographs. Cheapest way to print color.

I have used the similar Brother HL-4570 color laser. Mine had rather dull reds when compared to the HP inkjet that we also have. It was not an issue since we printed photos on the inkjet and used the laser for reports, posters, etc.

Does the 8360 print good, vibrant reds?

Dan

RB211
12-31-2017, 10:28 PM
I have used the similar Brother HL-4570 color laser. Mine had rather dull reds when compared to the HP inkjet that we also have. It was not an issue since we printed photos on the inkjet and used the laser for reports, posters, etc.

Does the 8360 print good, vibrant reds?

Dan

I’ll have to do a test and see. It’s a monster of a printer, it trips my 15 amp breaker when it first warms up. Had to give it a UPS to pick up the slack.