PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Jones and Shipman surface grinder

Mark Jones
08-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Will be looking at one of these,model 540, in the next few days.
can anyone tell me what I should look for .
what wears on these and what gets damaged.
and how to spot a bad one.
all the best......mark

Mark Jones
08-23-2004, 04:48 PM
ok guys still need info
so ive posted a photo of it
Q1 What is the knob above the diagonal coluum handle for , as my friends machine does not have this feature.
Q2. What model of 540 is it .
Q3. can anyone date it , just by looking at its features.
it comes with diaform and a seperate suds tank and pump.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/aboard_epsilon/js540.jpg

more pics of what happened later here:-

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/008013.html

All the best......mark

[This message has been edited by Mark Jones (edited 09-30-2004).]

John Stevenson
08-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Mark,
You have the supa dupa de-lux model.
That knob denotes it has a power rise and fall to the head driven by a seperate motor on the feed shaft.
When this is fitted the feed knob, the big wheel is in increments of 0.00005"

Without this feature the feed is in 0.0001" increments.

Now for this icing on the cake.
That little lever on the side that sticks out just below the knob denotes that it has automatic down feed as well as power rise and fall.

To operate you disengage the round knob on the feed wheel, engage the pawl on the ratchet lever which is above the feed knob and lift that side lever up.

I have a book on the Diaform

------------------
John S.
Nottingham, England

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 08-23-2004).]

Mark Jones
08-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Thanks John
machine comes first... .book later
will be in touch with you
if i get the machine
thanks
all the best.mark

Mark Jones
08-23-2004, 05:27 PM
WOW JOHN POSTED THAT OTRHER ANSWER BEFORE YOU EDITED THE LAST POST
now it really looks like its worth £350
thanks again
mark

Alan in Oz
08-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Mark,
I have a similar looking machine, but minus the Diaform and auto down feed, dated around 1969 based on serial number which I provided to J&S in the UK. No major problems, spindle bearings replaced as well as x-feed screw / nut and drive belt. Hyd relief valve a bit noisy. Use correct Kublerflex grease on bearings if you do it yourself. Wheel balance quite important for a good finish. I've had good response to spare parts from Jubilee Machine Tools http://www.jubileemactools.com/service.asp (no connection). All the best.

Rustybolt
08-23-2004, 10:34 PM
Looks like it also has a profile dresser above the wheel.

Peter S
08-24-2004, 01:41 AM
I can't help with the date, but be aware the 540 is a bit of a toy grinder (in my opinion)
What I mean is, good for little fiddly jobs, but not for grinding large surfaces of hardened toolsteel etc.
The larger J&S are fabulous machines, would be the best I have ever used for toolmaking work, but I never liked the 540 much.
There is nothing wrong with them, just a lightweight machine in my opinion.
Having said that, I would like one for the home workshop, perfect for that sort of thing.

Mark Jones
08-24-2004, 07:57 AM
Peter 18 x 6 is plentynough for me .
Alan in oz thanks for that info
Rustybolt.....yep they call it a Diaform.
A few more questions.
Q1.
If I were to wire it up and get it the wrong way round ...could this damage a hydraulic pump.
Q2.
How do you check the spindle bearings for wear.
Q3
Doing searches on the net and Ebay I see that some of the machines have two seperate stand alone units with them
I would guess that one is the suds ,,,but what is the other unit.
all the best....mark

John Stevenson
08-24-2004, 08:26 AM
1A, No not in the short term but the machine will be wired as a whole so if the pumps is going the wrong way so is the spindle. Switch on to do a quick check and swap phases over if needed.

2A, Noise and leaving wear patterns on the work.
Early versons had bronze bushes, later versions had bearings and these can be expensive to repair if faulty.

3A, Seperator tank.
Sometimes just a weir system to allow solids to fall to the bottom, some had a rotating magnetic roller and wiper blade.

------------------
John S.
Nottingham, England

Alan in Oz
08-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Mark,
Dont think there's a problem with wiring if it runs backwards just reverse 2 phases. If bearings are shot they are noisy especially during run down, sounds a bit like a Catapillar dozer at high speed, also surface finish looks rough. They run single row angular contacts at each end of the spindle cartridge, not a big issue to change,the earlier contact I mentioned has pre lubricated bearings. Tanks, some had a dry vacuum system with the inlet collector at the rear of the wheel housing and a hose into the fan / tank system (makes quite a noise when running, the other as I have is a wet system with multiple chambers in the tank for letting the crud settle out of the suds as it runs over the various walls within the tank.

Oh! I've just seen John's response so some of this repeats his words, sorry John.

Mark Jones
08-24-2004, 10:12 AM
ok thanks John and Alan
you are mines of information.
I hope that I get this grinder
fingers crossed.
all the best...mark