PDA

View Full Version : W&S #4 Lathe For Sale Locally -- Have A Question

Max McGrumpy
01-09-2018, 11:16 PM
First of all, I was told NO. Can't buy it. Something too big something something wrong color.

Now the questions. What is that motor up on the turret block? Some kind of grinder? And my other question is what is the hydraulic pack for? Drive the turret?

Never seen one quite like this, hence the questions. Figured you folks would be better suited to answer random questions than the seller.

https://lincoln.craigslist.org/tls/d/warner-swasey-4-machine-lathe/6450728591.html

EDIT: $*&*(&!!! technology

3 Phase Lightbulb
01-09-2018, 11:21 PM
First of all, I was told NO. Can't buy it. Something too big something something wrong color.

Now the questions. What is that motor up on the turret block? Some kind of grinder? And my other question is what is the hydraulic pack for? Drive the turret?

Never seen one quite like this, hence the questions. Figured you folks would be better suited to answer random questions than the seller.

Well, I'm telling you YES. The color is perfect. A motor provides motion or action. A hydraulic pack is something that exists but you don't know why. Make sure the turret can be driven first. Never seen one like that either. You figured correctly :)

Max McGrumpy
01-09-2018, 11:29 PM
Well, I'm telling you YES. The color is perfect. A motor provides motion or action. A hydraulic pack is something that exists but you don't know why. Make sure the turret can be driven first. Never seen one like that either. You figured correctly :)

Fantastic. You grab one end I'll grab the other, stuff it in my car.

CCWKen
01-09-2018, 11:39 PM
Are there supposed to be pictures on this post? I don't see any. :confused:

3 Phase Lightbulb
01-09-2018, 11:52 PM
Are there supposed to be pictures on this post? I don't see any. :confused:

Still looking for pics of naked girls? None here

Doc Nickel
01-10-2018, 12:02 AM
Craigslist ad in question (https://lincoln.craigslist.org/tls/d/warner-swasey-4-machine-lathe/6450728591.html).

Speaking somewhat seriously, it does kind of have to be asked- do you need a turret lathe? And if you do need one- or think you need one :D - do you have a floor sufficient to hold a machine that weighs north of 6,000-8,000 pounds? Do you have a power supply capable of feeding a 20HP 3-phase motor, in addition to the apparently numerous other pumps and motors and whatnot? Do you have room for it?

That said, I believe the hydraulics are an accessory- not something needed or used by the lathe itself. I note there's an oddly-placed hydraulic drybreak connection with a pressure gauge attached to the turret for some unfathomable reason. I couldn't even guess what that's for, unless it has something to do with the motor on the opposite side of the turret, in which case it's possible that's a high-pressure coolant or cutting-oil supply, not a hydraulic tank. Gun-drilling or some kind of internal broaching process that needs HP lube/coolant, maybe? That'd kind of explain the big splash cover over the bed.

I'd be interested to see what the business end of the motorized doodad looks like. It's clearly a commercially-made attachment, given the etched and riveted tag.

Doc.

CCWKen
01-10-2018, 12:42 AM
Still looking for pics of naked girls? None here

Of course, I'm human and still above ground. :)

01-10-2018, 12:45 AM
It looks to me more like the size of my #2 Herbert I had and that was around 2500 pounds.
Then there would be the weight of the tank pump and splash covers.
It's got a chuck at least , mine only had collets.

Max McGrumpy
01-10-2018, 03:11 AM
I do need a turret lathe, but not one this big... old... or beat-to-heck. Nor do I need to figure out whatintheheck he was doing with the extra accessories.

This is merely curiosity, as I've never seen one quite like it.

CCWKen
01-10-2018, 09:01 AM
I have a turret accessory for my lathe. I recall using it once to make some brass fittings I didn't have time to order/buy. It still sits in the drawer though, ready for the next use. :)

flylo
01-10-2018, 11:52 AM
I got 2 W&S #3s in the 32 Machine buy, one was a collet with a dual toolpost as below & one chuck & tailstock. Good machines but add an A to the # & the size & weight go up 4x. I tried like crazy to give away a 4A that was way too big for me & no takers. If you dont have or want a CNC these can make parts very well as shown below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z35amztGBdE

I got 2 10" Logan 5 legged lathes set up exactly like the W&S with turrents & dual tool post in the & keeping those.