PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Summer Food (Hot weather comfort food)

3 Phase Lightbulb
01-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Now that it's 60 deg outside, it's time to change our diets a little bit..

I was going to suggest Taco Bell Slackers as a perfect all around food any time of the day and year, but I think I already covered that in the other thread.

One of my favorite summer foods is good old golden Fish-n-Chips plate from one one of the sea-food places that can get fresh catch. It's also pretty good at some of the chains like Legal Sea Foods too.. The wife equally likes the scallop plate where ever we go.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/G/01/ember/restaurants/DC/LegalSeafoods/LegalSeafood_Dinner_FishAndChips._V534291027_.jpg

gambler
01-12-2018, 07:56 PM
thanks, yum.

1-800miner
01-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Summer, hot weather?
Corona with lime. salsa and chips, beach chair, beach

Dan Dubeau
01-12-2018, 10:10 PM
My favorite summertime comfort food is about 100lb of assorted meats all rubbed up, and stuffed into my smoker. Getting (Staying) up to man the firebox, and making an all day event out of it is what I consider summer comport food. I only fired the smoker up once last year (shameful I know), but am hoping to do much more next year.

To add some machining content, I made my smoker, and have another one (2 possibly) in the works. A big tow able one, and a small mini fridge sized one.

3 Phase Lightbulb
01-13-2018, 01:42 AM
Oh, and aged Rib Eye's on the BBQ are another one of my favorites.

Euph0ny
01-13-2018, 05:39 AM
Summer comfort food?

For me, whatever is fresh and in season. The smell of ripe tomatoes on the vine triggers quintessential summer memories for me, but there are so many wonderful summer foods...

In March-April, wild garlic (Bear garlic, allium ursinum) picked in the woods. Fantastic in soups, as a pesto, or in a ricotta filling for ravioli.

In May, backstrap of roebuck fresh from the grill, seared on both sides, and still juicy in the middle. Served with a great big fresh salad and maybe some baby new potatoes.

In June, fresh white asparagus, with hollandaise sauce and new potatoes, plus maybe a sliced-ham platter, a grilled steak or a schnitzel. For pure decadence, more roebuck with the asparagus. (Wild) strawberries and lightly-whipped cream for dessert.

In July-August, porcini mushrooms, fresh from the woods, served with lightly scrambled eggs and chopped chives. Roebuck again, with a redcurrant and port sauce. Bilberries and cream for dessert.

August-September - drupes of all kinds - plums, peaches, apricots, zwetschge, damsens, cherry plums. Not sloes, they are picked after the first frost, and bottled in gin for Christmas!

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-18-2018, 11:39 AM
It's a sad day for people in this area....

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/sad.jpg

Dan Dubeau
06-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Was the sinkhole cause by too much flushing of the customer bathroom?

BCRider
06-18-2018, 12:25 PM
A side dish that has become insanely popular among my circle of friend's to go along with the various BBQ'ed proteins is watermelon and mint salad.

1/2 watermelon cubed into roughly 3/4" cube size pieces
1 cup loosely stacked FRESH mint leaves torn or cut into roughly small postage stamp pieces
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 tsp coarse ground black pepper I may be off a bit on the salt and pepper. We do it by eye and this is a guesstimate of the amount. Start with this much and modify to taste and based on how strong the pepper you have really is.

Moderate pour of reduced balsamic vinegar to provide a nice taste coating. If I had to guess at an amount I'd say 1/4 cup. Regular good quality balsamic can also be used but the reduced balsamic has a little more sweetness and coats the melon better.

Goes really well with any hot day meal.

The mint should ideally come from a pot you grow yourself so it's good and fresh. Dried mint just isn't a good option for this.

RichR
06-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Was the sinkhole cause by too much flushing of the customer bathroom?

Wouldn't that be a stinkhole?

DICKEYBIRD
06-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Wouldn't that be a stinkhole?Bada-bump, ching. Good one Rich! :D

wierdscience
06-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Oh, and aged Rib Eye's on the BBQ are another one of my favorites.

Yes indeed,but nothing fancy,just some Olive oil and crushed Garlic on it overnight followed by just a bit of butter coming off the grill :cool:

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Yes indeed,but nothing fancy,just some Olive oil and crushed Garlic on it overnight followed by just a bit of butter coming off the grill :cool:

I like to cover my aged Ribeye's with Montreal steak seasoning on both sides and work it in really good before gently placing on the grill like something fragile and priceless :) I sear for 2 minutes on each side with high/max heat, then drop the heat and cook on both sides for another 3-4 minutes per side. I try not to bother with cuts less than 1" thick. Usually comes out med-rare and perfect.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/08525771-91ab-4197-b9f0-47a123d853af_1.646d6e6f61d922e0c13c40324117f79c.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Jon Heron
06-18-2018, 04:33 PM
Pretty hard to beat my cold homebrew and some type of meat on the grill along with a nice salad and a side vegi.
Tonight its lamb chops with parsnips and homefries from the left over taters from last night and the obligatory salad.
And of course a few pints of my Irish Breakfast coffee oatmeal stout!
http://theherons.ca/album/var/resizes/Beer/IMG_20171011_1340180.jpg?m=1507744413
Happy eating!
Jon

Brett Hurt
06-18-2018, 04:50 PM
corona beers and this is how drink them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cyxFrZbi7s

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-18-2018, 04:56 PM
corona beers and this is how drink them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cyxFrZbi7s

Use a funnel, much faster.

CCWKen
06-18-2018, 07:20 PM
60 degrees? It hasn't been that cold here since January or February. Way too hot to eat or cook outdoors now. :eek:

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-18-2018, 07:26 PM
60 degrees? It hasn't been that cold here since January or February. Way too hot to eat or cook outdoors now. :eek:

Yes, that post was January 12th :)

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-19-2018, 08:31 PM
Getting a pair of Beefy Nacho Grillers tonight.

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/pdp_griller-beefy-nacho.png

Tim Clarke
06-19-2018, 08:54 PM
Now stop it John, you're killing me!

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-19-2018, 09:00 PM
Now stop it John, you're killing me!

Yes please stop John. You're killing him. Stop. Don't.

MrWhoopee
06-20-2018, 10:50 AM
(Imitation) Crab Salad Pocket Bread Sandwiches.

Crab Salad:
1 pkg. Imitation Crab (flake style)
1 tsp. Onion Powder
2 Stalks Celery
1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
2 tbsp. Mayonnaise

Flake imitation crab by hand into bowl. Chop celery and add to crab along with the rest of ingredients. Mix well, cover and refrigerate a few hours to allow flavors to marry.

Sandwiches:
Pocket Bread
Crab Salad
Lettuce
Avocado or guacamole
Tomato Salsa

Cut pocket bread in half, lining the pocket with a lettuce leaf to prevent break-out. Fill with crab salad, add avocado or guacamole and salsa. Serve with tortilla chips and additional salsa.

Cool and refreshing on a hot summer evening. Add your favorite malted beverage for a perfect summer meal.

sid pileski
06-20-2018, 12:05 PM
Getting a pair of Beefy Nacho Grillers tonight.

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/pdp_griller-beefy-nacho.png

If only they EVER actually looked like that!!

But what fast food place ever turns out a product like the advertisements portray. And, while I don't eat fast food that much anyway, Taco Bell seems to be the among the worst.
Maybe they are better in your area 3ph??

I actually don't even believe that you eat there. I think you are pulling our collective legs!

Sid

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-20-2018, 02:11 PM
If only they EVER actually looked like that!!

But what fast food place ever turns out a product like the advertisements portray. And, while I don't eat fast food that much anyway, Taco Bell seems to be the among the worst.
Maybe they are better in your area 3ph??

I actually don't even believe that you eat there. I think you are pulling our collective legs!

Sid

I don't actually eat "there" inside of the Taco Bell; Hell no, I do have standards!! That would be like eating a hamburger in a slaughter house while standing waist high in manure. :) We always go through the drive-through and eat it at home. We usually get Taco Bell once a week or once every two weeks. On special occasions when something like the "Stacker" comes along maybe 2-3 times a week but not normally :)

Fasttrack
06-20-2018, 02:59 PM
I'm not quite a fanatic like 3-ph, but I don't understand all the TB hate. If I'm recovering from the stomach bug, the first thing I want is Taco Bell - no joke. Never bothers me and tastes great. Nutritional content? Highly questionable...

Dan Dubeau
06-20-2018, 03:21 PM
Usually if I'm recovering from a stomach bug it's BECAUSE of Taco Bell lol. I do enjoy it once in a while, but there are better "Mexican" choices close to all the taco bell's near me so I'd rather go there instead. I don't eat anywhere near as much "fast food" as I did a couple years ago. My weight was getting out of control. Down 20lbs since last fall and working on getting back to normal (40 more to go).

Fasttrack
06-20-2018, 04:35 PM
Usually if I'm recovering from a stomach bug it's BECAUSE of Taco Bell lol. I do enjoy it once in a while, but there are better "Mexican" choices close to all the taco bell's near me so I'd rather go there instead. I don't eat anywhere near as much "fast food" as I did a couple years ago. My weight was getting out of control. Down 20lbs since last fall and working on getting back to normal (40 more to go).

Is Taco Bell really "Mexican"? I think it's in its own category... ;) I actually very rarely eat fast food (or out at all) because I'm a stingy b@stard and figure I can make it myself cheaper, even when I actually can't. In the last two years, I've been to a fast food burger joint exactly 3 times. Taco Bell is probably more like a dozen times.

Kudos for making an effort to get back to a healthy weight!

KiddZimaHater
06-20-2018, 09:19 PM
Is Taco Bell really "Mexican"?

NO... NO, it's nothing like REAL Mexican food.
I grew up in El Paso, TX, right on the Border. The heart of REAL Mexican food.
Taco Bell to Mexican, is what Pizza Hut is to Italian

RB211
06-20-2018, 10:47 PM
First time I had a real taco, I was pissed off that it wasn't U shaped.

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-21-2018, 12:04 AM
First time I had a real taco, I was pissed off that it wasn't U shaped.

I hate when I can't eat Taco Bell "crunchy" tacos fast enough and they start getting soggy.

thaiguzzi
06-21-2018, 04:49 AM
NO... NO, it's nothing like REAL Mexican food.
I grew up in El Paso, TX, right on the Border. The heart of REAL Mexican food.
Taco Bell to Mexican, is what Pizza Hut is to Italian

+100.