OT: ceiling fan light with remote control is dim, controller problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gellfex
    • Nov 2006

OT: ceiling fan light with remote control is dim, controller problem?

A Hampton Bay fan/light (yeah I know) suddenly could not light brightly, more like 75% dimmed. There was a nearby water leak event but it did not look like it got to the fan, or the ceiling tiles nearby would be destroyed. It seems the electronic light control module is crapping out somehow, but the same module controls the fan on-off and speed and works fine. Seems weird that a unit not designed to dim is dimming! Or is it a PWM dimmer unit that simply is limited to on-off by it's interface?

Question boils down to coughing up the $30 for a replacement receiver/controller pair, or try and figure it out more deeply.
  • J Tiers
    • Jan 2004

Do the $30 unless you like solving puzzles.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• JRouche
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
      Or is it a PWM dimmer unit that simply is limited to on-off by it's interface?
      Thats an interesting thought and not unheard of when it comes to electronics. Some features still in place but disabled somehow. If so something would have had to trigger the reduced power and no way for you to ramp it back up without a remote that supports it.

Hard wire "reboot" maybe?? JR

Comment

• gellfex
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        Do the $30 unless you like solving puzzles.
        Contrary to my usual inclinations, I followed your advice and ordered the part from HD. Fan all better. I still wonder what could cause such a bizarre failure. Fan itself was a PITA, there was no obvious way to drop it, and my brain had ditched any memories from installing it. Had to find a Youtube, there was a plastic ring around the base of the canopy hiding the screws!

Comment

Working...
        X