PDA

View Full Version : long files, the metal kind.

gambler
01-19-2018, 11:45 AM
does anyone know where to find 18 inch long fine tooth files? I tried the advertisers in the mag, no luck. I need to smooth a large aluminum transmission case, and I would like a file that spans the pan rail area.:)

rkepler
01-19-2018, 11:51 AM
does anyone know where to find 18 inch long fine tooth files? I tried the advertisers in the mag, no luck. I need to smooth a large aluminum transmission case, and I would like a file that spans the pan rail area.:)

You might have to mount a couple of files to something flat and long to get that done.

nc5a
01-19-2018, 12:05 PM
May I suggest using a piece of flat bar, rectangular tube, square tube or small channel, actually anything that is 2" wide, flat and 18" or so long would work. Use light duty spray adhesive to glue 2" wide aluminum oxide grit paper (the stuff) that comes in rolls to the bottom of the flat bar and sand the transmission case smooth. The various grits available will likely get you a much smoother surface and using a 2" wide heavy flat will make the job easier.

BCRider
01-19-2018, 02:31 PM
I'll second nc5a's suggestion. Longer files tend to not be all that flat. Hell, ALL files tend to not be all that flat. Check some you have already with a straight edge and you'll see what I mean. If you do have a good one and don't want to do the abrasive strap thing I'd bind it to a piece of wood or metal and add a spacer to the "bar" that is the same thickness as the file to get it to glide well. Or if wood cut away a step of the thickness of the file. Besides, that way the tool you make will only cut in the one spot that you want it to cut.

Really though since you want a flat surface in all directions my thought is something like a flat plate that spans the whole opening which you then glue on sheets of abrasive paper or cloth.

CCWKen
01-19-2018, 02:34 PM
You can get (or used to) 2" wide PSA in a roll at the auto paint suppliers. It's used on the in-line sanders, air and manual.

gambler
01-19-2018, 08:08 PM
great ideas, I think I'll attach some wet or dry to my best 2 foot level. it seems to have a nice milled surface.

BCRider
01-19-2018, 09:46 PM
great ideas, I think I'll attach some wet or dry to my best 2 foot level. it seems to have a nice milled surface.

That would work well too. And a lighter or focused on the cutting area sort of touch so you don't flex it.

epicfail48
01-20-2018, 04:05 AM

Eh, id be careful. Lot of woodworkers have hit the same problem of assuming a level is straight/flay and making a crooked cabinet. Its worth doing a quick sanity check for straightness

boslab
01-20-2018, 08:50 AM
I have used a granite worktop offcut with emery stuck on, I used the cut face not the cast or polished face, the cut was straight the polished on my peice wasn't, worked really well.
Mark