X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tommo
    • May 2012

OT but I need a bronze casting

I've run into a problem where I need some bronze hardware investment cast. If anyone knows of an artist or small foundry that does stuff like this please let me know. My usual supplier has suddenly become unavailable. Probably need about thirty pieces made, 3"x1"x 2" roughly.
    Thanks.
  • Weston Bye
    Contributing Editor
    • Jun 2002

I used to do investment casting for myself of the size you are looking for, but like your supplier, I have suddenly become unavailable. I am considering writing up my process for a series in Digital Machinist where I write a regular column, or submitting it for a series in HSM. Your supplier didn't suddenly develop brain cancer too, did he? I doubt that there is a connection.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

• Tommo
      • May 2012

Ah, no. He has these parts made himself, and resells them. His casting guy has gone out of business and since then we've decided to have a parting of ways. It wasn't so much my idea, but it's probably for the best.

Comment

• CPeter
        • Mar 2017

Check with Lie Nielsen Toolworks. they are in Warren, Maine and use bronze and brass castings. they used to do their own but now have someone else do it.

Also, Hebert Foundry in Laconia, NH does soft mertal castings.
        Hebert Foundry offers aluminum sand casting, brass/bronze sand casting, green sand casting, and non-ferrous sand castings.

CPeter
        Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

• Tommo
          • May 2012

Thanks a bunch!
          I forgot about Lie Neilsen. I've met the guy who makes all their knobs and stuff.

Comment

• CPeter
            • Mar 2017

I have not used Hebert's, but know others who have and have bee satisfied. Not that far from Auburn. I have made the trip many times.
            CPeter
            Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

• QSIMDO
              • Jan 2005

Mystic Valley Foundry provides its customers with high quality aluminum and brass/bronze castings. Serving customers from New England, the Northeast, and the U.S., we provide engineering and design assistance from plans to patterns, from casting to finished product. We can deliver small or large volume, high quality work on-time and can perform rapid prototyping.

Lewiston- http://www.enterprisefoundry.com/site/services.htm
              Eliot - http://www.greenfoundry.org/

Figured there had to be at least one in Bath! http://www.somersetsculpture.com/foundryservices.html
              Last edited by QSIMDO; 01-28-2018, 09:59 PM.
              Len

Comment

• JRouche
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
                I used to do investment casting for myself of the size you are looking for, but like your supplier, I have suddenly become unavailable. I am considering writing up my process for a series in Digital Machinist where I write a regular column, or submitting it for a series in HSM. Your supplier didn't suddenly develop brain cancer too, did he? I doubt that there is a connection.
                Funny Wes. You arent off the mark.

I dont see shops casting bronze now. I think cost has something to do with it.

There was another discussion re: soldering brass or bronze? JR

Bronze still has lead right. Yeah, lead..Once bronze is liquid its hard to get the lead back in. Say a two pound pot of it. JR
                Last edited by JRouche; 01-29-2018, 03:42 AM.

Comment

• Mcgyver
                  • Mar 2005

There is a big bronze casting business for the memorial industry, and of course its mostly custom stuff. One I was in (no longer around) also did large plaques for parks and historical sites etc so they may be able work a lot of different sizes....and its all cast in bronze
                  located in Toronto Ontario

Comment

• rkepler
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                    I've run into a problem where I need some bronze hardware investment cast. If anyone knows of an artist or small foundry that does stuff like this please let me know. My usual supplier has suddenly become unavailable. Probably need about thirty pieces made, 3"x1"x 2" roughly.
                    I've had very good luck with Cattail Foundry, an Amish foundry in PA. I've made patterns, mailed them with some notes on how many I needed and received an estimate. Sent a check and got back a box with pattern, castings and change.

On edit: Sorry, missed the "investment cast" part and was thinking single unit loose pattern. Investment from wax pattern can be done by a lot of 'art' or jewelry places.
                    Last edited by rkepler; 01-29-2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Baz
                      • May 2013

no use to you but these guys do the bonze work for London Transport trains and switchgear. Quite a surprise to find them deep in the countryside when I was getting some new tyres in the industrial unit next door.

Comment

Working...
                      X