PDA

View Full Version : Bench grinders and bench buffers on bench or pedestals?

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-02-2018, 04:41 PM
I have a bench grinder with an 8" stone on one end and an 8" wire brush on the other. I also have a bench buffer with 8" buffing wheels on both ends. I also have the harbor freight tool grinder with cup wheels on each end.

I've been trying to fit all three of them on a bench and it seems like it will always compromise the usability of each of them unless I put each one on its own pedestal to provide full access to the wheels on each end.

I like the idea of putting them on a bench (6'x3') because the bench is mobile and has plenty of storage under it, but at best, I can hang one wheel for each of the three units out in the open off an edge but obviously not both wheels even if I angle them off the corners.

How do you guys setup multiple grinders/buffers/wire wheels? Maybe if I set them on the bench but on 6"+ risers so the at least sit 6"+ above the bench providing more wheel to bench clearance, etc.

I can always go with separate pedestals but prefer to have them all on my mobile 6'x3' bench.

BCRider
02-02-2018, 05:02 PM
Sometimes you simply "can't get there from here...". Sounds like you're finding that is the case.

There's always the option of some sort of fancy solution. Like a flip over or rotating setup that holds two or more machines that you index into position to make each more open. But that sort of thing takes up a lot of room too. But the lazy susan way takes up a lot of room on the work top. And a vertical flip arrangement takes up a lot of that storage room you have under the top.

If you don't mind the idea of a top side lazy susan option and can live with a bit more overall length then consider a "Y" style support table where the leg in use with the machine on it extends out past the edge or end so the machine is out in the open on both sides. That way you can have three machines that are all fully accessible. But at some cost of room and complexity. And when I say "lazy susan" I don't mean to use one of the cheap light duty table bearings. Instead it would be all fab'ed up from more durable and rigid/strong materials. Just the idea that you can swivel the table to allow any one of three buffers/grinders to have full access at a time. Likely a pipe within a pipe for the center pivot with the power lines coming up through the center pipe. rotation would be limited to just one turn so you don't wind the cords into a knot. And likely there would be some sort of lever or foot pedal to raise the table a little, swing to the machine to be used then lower it onto positioning pins to lock it in place.

At least that's a concept that came to mind....

Mr Fixit
02-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Hey 3Phase lightbulb,

I saw a shop a few years ago that had a trailer hitch type of receiver on the bench, and the grinders were hanging on the wall with brackets that all you did was grab the unit and set it in the receiver, plug it in and off you go. A bit of a hassle for a 1 off grind, but it definitely saved bench and floor space.
I have the conventional post of 4"sq steel but I got a dump truck brake drum and mounted 2 grinders back to back on the same post. I just grab it with the hand truck and move it out of the corner when I need to use the buffer on the back side.
A couple of ideas that may or may not work for the new shop space your building.

TX
Mr fixit for the family
Chris :)

CCWKen
02-02-2018, 07:59 PM
All of mine are on pedestals or stands near exhaust or filter vents except one with wire wheels on each end. Even that one creates a mess on the bench which needs regular cleaning. As soon as I get my other filter mounted and running, it will be moved to a stand and vented too. Polishing and buffing is as dangerous as grinding when it comes to inhaling bad stuff.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-02-2018, 08:02 PM
I broke in some new buffing wheels and tried the grinder and wire wheel on the bench and it's actually not bad. I think I'll keep them on the bench but I'll probably just add another sheet of 3/4" ply with maybe a 4" overhang just to help space them out a little more. I didn't try the small grinder but it should be OK with a tad more space.

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/grinders1.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/grinders2.jpg

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/grinders3.jpg

john hobdeclipe
02-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Keep your buffing tools and operations completely separate from your grinding stuff. All it takes is one stray bit of grinding grit in a buffing mop to ruin your whole day.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-02-2018, 09:39 PM
Keep your buffing tools and operations completely separate from your grinding stuff. All it takes is one stray bit of grinding grit in a buffing mop to ruin your whole day.

How do you suggest someone use one of these?

https://cloudfront.zoro.com/product/full/Z_uLotncpEx_.JPG

BCRider
02-02-2018, 10:15 PM
What they show in ad copy seldom has any basis in reality. I'd say that John makes a wise point. If buffing stuff where you can't risk a score line from a bit of grit picked up by accident then if they can't be kept separate then perhaps the buffing mops should not be mounted until needed?

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-02-2018, 10:23 PM
What they show in ad copy seldom has any basis in reality. I'd say that John makes a wise point. If buffing stuff where you can't risk a score line from a bit of grit picked up by accident then if they can't be kept separate then perhaps the buffing mops should not be mounted until needed?

It would never be a problem for me. My only issue is getting full clearance under all wheels. If the impossible was to happen, i could just wrap the wheels with cellophane when they are not being used. Those 8" buffing wheels spinning at 3600 rpm clean themselves instantly -- it's hard enough to keep compound on them.

Paul Alciatore
02-02-2018, 10:39 PM
I have two grinders and one "A" style stand. Presently one of the grinders is on that stand. I have a "plan" to mount both of them on the stand with a lazy Susan style table so I can swing either one to the front.

An alternate plan that I have considered was to put both of them, again on a lazy Susan table, in my storage room to keep the abrasive dust away from my other machines. I would add an exhaust hood if possible.

The more I think about it, the more I like the stand as it allows more room around the wheels for maneuvering the work. And I could re-position it as needed.

QSIMDO
02-02-2018, 10:52 PM

+1 on that.
And the buffer sheds like a mangy dog.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-02-2018, 10:57 PM
I've been thinking of adding "wings" to the bench so I can get full clearance under two of the dual wheel grinders/buffers. Something like this would do it.

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/grinder_bench.jpg

metalmagpie
02-03-2018, 11:02 AM
Don't see the importance of free space under the grinder.

Mine are on pedestals except for a small 6" one a guy gave me. I'm trying to think of a use for it.

metalmagpie

chipmaker4130
02-03-2018, 11:18 AM
What I did is similar to your 'wing' concept except that there is no space between the tools. I have a free-standing pedestal with a platform top just big enough to mount two units back-to-back, one with two grinding wheels and one with a wire brush and a buffing wheel. They almost touch on their backs, and between the two I've installed a goosneck lamp which I can aim at any of the four wheels. Since the platform is just wide enough for the mounting bases, all the wheels are free access.

While the notion about separating grinding from polishing sounds good. I've never had a problem with contamination. For one, the guards around the grinding wheels direct the high-velocity grit & grind away from the buffing wheel, and anything that drifts down onto the buffer must be slung off when it spins up because I've never seen scratching from that wheel.

In your case that still leaves one machine to mount somewhere, but surely one of them could be bench mounted without losing utility.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Don't see the importance of free space under the grinder.

Mine are on pedestals except for a small 6" one a guy gave me. I'm trying to think of a use for it.

metalmagpie

Getting the grinders out further would help when feeding stock from the side as I'm currently limited by bumping stock into items mounted next to the grinder(s). I definitely would like to get the dual wheel buffer out on a wing so I can easily get stock under both wheels.

On another note, that 8" ATD wire wheel is amazing. I used to have another buffing wheel there but really wanted a nice large wire wheel as I didn't have one in my last shop. I'm amazed how efficiently it strips and cleans up whatever you present to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OUZY6G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Joe Rogers
02-03-2018, 12:11 PM
Take a tip from auto body painters and clean your buffer mops befor use. They have star wheel mop cleaners to dress their pad before they hit the paint. You could use anything really, an old chisel or screwdriver, or an air hose blowgun nozzle...
Joe

J Tiers
02-03-2018, 12:58 PM
As for clearance, there IS no point to clearance under the grinder, generally anything that would need to hang down can be done as easily held upright. I suppose there is SOMETHING that just has to have that, but..... You cannot set up the shop on the basis of some really odd possible need that "might happen someday". For those things one may need to make a temporary arrangement.

if you have a fab shop, then yes, clearance is good everywhere. But if you have experience with fab shop operations, you also have a good idea of the things that come up, as well as a selection of fixed and portable tools to work with. The portable tools are usually the most useful for a fab shop.

The big issue for me normally is clearance to the side, something long that needs to stick out to the side and possibly be fed past the wheel. Putting each grinder on a corner of a triangular or square table would work for that. I had mine in a nice, space-efficient line, and all was well until I needed to work on a long piece, at which point I "saw the light". It worked fine for small items and toolbit grinding.

Take a tip from auto body painters and clean your buffer mops befor use. They have star wheel mop cleaners to dress their pad before they hit the paint. You could use anything really, an old chisel or screwdriver, or an air hose blowgun nozzle...
Joe

That... The thing about 3PL's grinder station that jumped out at me was the sanding disk that looks as if it may be throwing grit directly at the buffer. Might be no issue most of the time, but it seems that could easily be a problem just when you do not want it to be one.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-03-2018, 01:16 PM
As for clearance, there IS no point to clearance under the grinder, generally anything that would need to hang down can be done as easily held upright. I suppose there is SOMETHING that just has to have that, but..... You cannot set up the shop on the basis of some really odd possible need that "might happen someday". For those things one may need to make a temporary arrangement.

if you have a fab shop, then yes, clearance is good everywhere. But if you have experience with fab shop operations, you also have a good idea of the things that come up, as well as a selection of fixed and portable tools to work with. The portable tools are usually the most useful for a fab shop.

The big issue for me normally is clearance to the side, something long that needs to stick out to the side and possibly be fed past the wheel. Putting each grinder on a corner of a triangular or square table would work for that. I had mine in a nice, space-efficient line, and all was well until I needed to work on a long piece, at which point I "saw the light". It worked fine for small items and toolbit grinding.

That... The thing about 3PL's grinder station that jumped out at me was the sanding disk that looks as if it may be throwing grit directly at the buffer. Might be no issue most of the time, but it seems that could easily be a problem just when you do not want it to be one.

The dual wheel buffer is definitely not staying there as I want full access under both wheels. I have a bunch of different sized nylon draw-string bags that I can use to enclose the buffing wheels when not being used. I'll probably extend the buffer outward ~8-10 inches on a wing of some type. Maybe enclose the entire unit with a draw-string nylon bag or just one on each wheel.

flylo
02-03-2018, 01:28 PM
I like them on pedestals especially the buffers where you have room to move the pc & put a trash bag over them when not in use. I just sold a H-F tool grinder NIB like the one on the bench as I had 2 name brands.

02-03-2018, 02:07 PM
I had mine on weighted pedestals. If you don't want grit on anything, simply pick up the grinder and pedastel and move to an area that does not matter..
I like at least a 3 inch tube on the weighted base. I have used I think they are Cat diesel dampers. About 11 inches diameter and 1.5 thick from a scrapyard. On the bottom I drill 3 holes near outer edge, say 31/32 around 5/8;deep. Now make 3 bullets from 1/2 inch bar, turn 1/2 inch to fit snug in drilled hole m other end rounded like a bullet.
Never wobbles never will.

My old SKIL grinder bought at an auction from Versatile tractor factory in Southern Alberta. I was in a car so I made a deal with someone to drop the grinder and base off in Calgary. They used a disc from a disc harrow, about 18 inches diameter for the base, with a tube going up to to the grinder , it was very solid.
Later on someone brought it from Calgary to B.C. and they said it's really freaking heavy. When we moved it into the shop I heard stuff moving in the base. It was on its side. The base being domed or gold pan shaped had a lower cover piece. They had filled it with slugs from the punches, and closed it up. About 80 lbs of slugs plus the weight of base and pedastal, it's solid.

The grinder is another story, ..originally I bid on it for the porcelain lamp shade hanging above it. Would have left the grinder behind. But I met a guy there, when I told him that he had some lights to sell at his house nearby, which I bought, and then made a deal for him to bring the grinder to Calgary.
So I get the grinder and use it, from the 40,s or 50s, but it ran extremely well, it had been apart there were punch marks on the bells. Now a new problem it ran so well, it would run forever after it was switched off...usually around 2 minutes 45 seconds.
It became a problem you would think it was off and 20 minutes later still running..
Finally I Put the original green porcelain green shade back on, because I realized, the light was needed to show whether the motor was on or off. Lol.

Ernie
02-03-2018, 04:11 PM
I saw one setup I liked but I don’t have pictures. It involves cutting two strips of hardwood at an angle to form a female dovetail. The back ends are a bit closer together to form a tapered female dovetail receptacle. Each grinder/buffer is mounted on a mating male tapered dovetail mount. That piece can be tapered in the X and Y direction so the grinder can be rotated turn so one wheel or the other overhangs either the side or the end of the table. Just pull it out, rotate, and push it back in. I plan on doing this only on my lighter buffer and grinder.
Ernie

metalmagpie
02-03-2018, 05:07 PM
I saw one setup I liked but I don’t have pictures. It involves cutting two strips of hardwood at an angle to form a female dovetail. The back ends are a bit closer together to form a tapered female dovetail receptacle. Each grinder/buffer is mounted on a mating male tapered dovetail mount. That piece can be tapered in the X and Y direction so the grinder can be rotated turn so one wheel or the other overhangs either the side or the end of the table. Just pull it out, rotate, and push it back in. I plan on doing this only on my lighter buffer and grinder.
Ernie

F-ing brilliant!

mattthegamer463
02-03-2018, 11:33 PM
I did this for my welding table with homemade clamp bar things. Removal and setup takes only 10 seconds. A variation might work for you.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180204/0511cd0d5089ce814200ae5cffcea5d9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180204/bfe0552d4b8ee36b42ab212acbce667f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180204/f1f024a602feeaed6d20ba0720e59313.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

wtrueman
02-03-2018, 11:34 PM
Two things, use the brake drum setup but with a triangular steel plate to mount all three grinders and use a common plug in setup under the plate to plug in and I use old leather gloves to collect as much grinder dust as possible.? What do you guys think? Wayne

wtrueman
02-03-2018, 11:38 PM
I left out, the leather gloves attached to the exhaust of the grinders, sorry, Wayne.

Hoplophile
02-04-2018, 01:48 AM
I've got five or six good old bench grinders and was planning to mount them equidistant around the rim of a disk of 1/2 inch plate about 4 feet in diameter. That I am going to mount on a heavy duty carousel so that it rotates, which in turn will stand on a big old cast iron base from some long-gone tool with a foot about 30" square which I picked up somewhere. I figured it might be possible to make up circular contact rings for the power, so that you wouldn't need to think about which way you rotated it and if you were twisting the power cords too much. The cords would all go down the center hole in either case. Good for a corner of the shop maybe.

darryl
02-04-2018, 02:26 AM
I like the tapered mount idea. You could make it so the motor in use automatically plugs in when you seat the tool of choice into the holder.

vpt
02-04-2018, 08:21 AM
I have one grinder on the bench that has a stone and wire wheel, most used. I have a second grinder on a pedestal, has a fine stone and a buffing wheel. I like the buffer on the pedestal as it gives more room for bigger parts to be swung around the wheel. I like the bench grinder on the bench so there is not another pedestal taking up floor room in the shop.

softtail
02-04-2018, 01:37 PM
I have one on pedestal, and few bolted to angle iron. I grab whichever I need and clamp it in a vise.

Ernie
02-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Darryl;
Setting up a plug that makes contact automatically when you slide the buffer in place would work only if you slide it in just one way. If you have the option to rotate turn and still plug in automatically, one or the other plug would now be exposed and live.

If you have grinders on both sides of the table and staggered, each could be on it’s own sliding mount and always plugged in. When you slide it out, you would have access to each side and bottom if needed. Shove it back in when done. You might want to design a safety feature so only one grinder can be extended at a time.

Ernie

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-07-2018, 11:30 PM
I decided to keep everything where it is except I'll extend the dual buffer outwards ~8-10 inches so both wheels completely clear the bench. I also keep the two buffing wheels in enclosed in nylon draw string sacks as well as that damn 8" wire wheel as it keeps pricking me when I walk by it so It also gets a bag :)

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/ceiling5.jpg

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-07-2018, 11:34 PM
I also got new Zirconia metal grinding belts and discs.

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/grinding.jpg

BCRider
02-07-2018, 11:43 PM
The bags for the buffing wheels is a darn good idea.

So stuff sacks from the local outdoor or camping store? That's a pretty slick idea!

Joel
02-07-2018, 11:59 PM
I just use plastic grocery bags.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-08-2018, 12:01 AM
I bought several different size drawstring sacks for a different purpose but then realized they are perfect for protecting the wheels. This is the size that fit the wheels:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072QTHK84/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

02-08-2018, 01:07 AM
I checked my old grinder the 40,s or 50,s one. It's not a Skil, its a very old Baldor, grey colored, I think the base has Baldor cast into it.. the part under the motor.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-08-2018, 01:30 AM
I checked my old grinder the 40,s or 50,s one. It's not a Skil, its a very old Baldor, grey colored, I think the base has Baldor cast into it.. the part under the motor.

I bought my 8" grinder/buffer and the dual 8" buffer from Harbor Freight back round 2005-2006 when I bought most of my tools. They both say "Made in Taiwan". I was actually planning on upgrading them to something new but was surprised how smooth and good they sound. And they both have 3/4" arbors. I think the current stuff from Harbor Freight is now all China?

jdedmon91
02-08-2018, 07:50 PM
I have one on bench and one Im working on on a homemade pedestal https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180209/56c5a0e2100b19ad8e3ecab9b2545d4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk