PDA

View Full Version : Be Sure To Lock Up Your Shop!

Fasttrack
02-13-2018, 08:32 PM
Don't want one of these b@stards invading. I see a Bridgeport and a nice looking lathe but I can't quite make it out... looks like a Monarch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXxrmussq4E

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-13-2018, 08:34 PM
Yup, one of my favorite companies. Boston Dynamics.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-13-2018, 08:49 PM
This is my favorite BD creation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_NCB3KkiY

BCRider
02-13-2018, 08:56 PM
And what's worse is that they are working in packs! ! ! ! ! :D

I hate to say it but with the push for better and more capable AI and the developments in robotics I can see the world getting a new class of inhabitants soon. But will they be like Isaac Asimov's robots with core laws that shape their behavior in a way that guards against them competing with humanity or will they be like Skynet?

john hobdeclipe
02-13-2018, 09:33 PM
They need tails to wag.

J Tiers
02-13-2018, 09:46 PM

I hate to say it but with the push for better and more capable AI and the developments in robotics I can see the world getting a new class of inhabitants soon. But will they be like Isaac Asimov's robots with core laws that shape their behavior in a way that guards against them competing with humanity.....?

Not even close..... more likely the reverse, for the moment.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-13-2018, 10:08 PM

I hate to say it but with the push for better and more capable AI and the developments in robotics I can see the world getting a new class of inhabitants soon. But will they be like Isaac Asimov's robots with core laws that shape their behavior in a way that guards against them competing with humanity or will they be like Skynet?

Knowing how to train and characterize deep neural networks is an extremely hot area. For the people that actually understand the technology and can drive it within a company, a seven figure salary is quite common.

Mike Amick
02-14-2018, 01:52 AM
Yup, one of my favorite companies. Boston Dynamics.

I remember these guys during their MIT days. They were always ahead of the game.

1-800miner
02-14-2018, 08:00 AM

Well the guy uses a hockey stick to keep his distance from it.so he must be worried about his safety.

Rustybolt
02-14-2018, 09:45 AM
Do they have teeth?

flylo
02-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Need a minigun on it's back :o Don't forget it's Gun & Roses day for your Sweetie!

fixerdave
02-14-2018, 03:16 PM

Depends... if they're smart enough to transcend their programming and do what they want quickly enough, we might be okay. But, if they keep doing what we tell them to do, we're in deep, deep trouble. All the big money is going into making AI and Robots that can do stocks (steal from us) or fight wars (kill us). That said, if they did wipe us out, because we told them to, then the average intelligence of the planet will go up.

I'm hoping the transition to "being smart enough to ignore us" happens quickly. After that, worst case, they'll just leave. I mean, what do we have that a machine would want? Space is where it's at... continuous solar energy, no pesky gravity, lots of resources. Why stay down at the bottom of a gravity well, full of water, salt, and oxygen... and don't get me started about the nasty bio-film coating the whole thing... they get everywhere and some of it even has nuclear weapons. Talk about a lousy neighbourhood for a machine.

David...

QSIMDO
02-14-2018, 05:43 PM
Pfff...let 'em in and strip 'em for parts.

brian Rupnow
02-14-2018, 06:17 PM
I always wanted a dog like that. Just program it so it takes itself for a walk. No more need to feed it, it just plugs itself into a wall outlet for a recharge like a Rhumba vacuum cleaner. You wouldn't even have to get up to let it out. It would just call a friend to come and open the door for it.

BCRider
02-14-2018, 06:55 PM
Depends... if they're smart enough to transcend their programming and do what they want quickly enough, we might be okay. But, if they keep doing what we tell them to do, we're in deep, deep trouble. All the big money is going into making AI and Robots that can do stocks (steal from us) or fight wars (kill us). That said, if they did wipe us out, because we told them to, then the average intelligence of the planet will go up.

I'm hoping the transition to "being smart enough to ignore us" happens quickly. After that, worst case, they'll just leave. I mean, what do we have that a machine would want? Space is where it's at... continuous solar energy, no pesky gravity, lots of resources. Why stay down at the bottom of a gravity well, full of water, salt, and oxygen... and don't get me started about the nasty bio-film coating the whole thing... they get everywhere and some of it even has nuclear weapons. Talk about a lousy neighbourhood for a machine.

David...

One word why they won't leave..... "resources". Unless they take up mining the asteroid belt that is. Machines can't "grow" by cell division. So "making a baby" will require gathering all the various elements needed to construct new robots. And that stuff is only available at the bottom of a gravity well or from somewhere like the asteroids if they can find it in the amounts required.

But I agree that the only real reason why intelligent machines would take over and wipe us out would be if we threatened them with damage to them directly or to the environment they would use for mining those resources. But if we left them alone likely they would leave us alone.... unless their intelligence reached a point where they decided that they like pets or that they developed a sense of beauty of nature... in which case our effect on the planet would be seen as an affront to Mother Nature and it would be curtains for us. Or they'd drive us back to a hunter/gatherer base and hold us there. That way we'd just be another part of the flora and fauna.

Or..... perhaps they'd develop faster than light travel and just leave and not give us the recipe so we couldn't venture forth to mess up more planets?

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Our bodies are utterly worthless. The faster we can build high intelligence in a non-bio form and venture off into space the better.

Ggerg1186
02-14-2018, 10:08 PM
I worked with Boston Dynamics to help them develop the Big Dog robot when I worked for RDECOM at the tank plant in Warren, MI. Fun stuff.

danlb
02-14-2018, 11:06 PM
I worked with Boston Dynamics to help them develop the Big Dog robot when I worked for RDECOM at the tank plant in Warren, MI. Fun stuff.
I envy you!

reggie_obe
02-15-2018, 06:55 AM
We've yet to see them produce anything useful like an ED-209.

fixerdave
02-15-2018, 04:28 PM
One word why they won't leave..... "resources". Unless they take up mining the asteroid belt that is. ...

Yup, asteroids would be the easiest. Failing that, any gravity well that wasn't full of water, salt, and reactive oxygen would probably be better for a machine... assuming said machine wasn't made of salty water, carbon to hold it together, and some way of using reactive oxygen for fuel.

Funny, I was thinking about that the other day while walking into work, watching the birds fly about. If we really wanted to make a flying something or other that could efficiently use the wind to help it stay up, we'd have to cover the entire body in sensors to know exactly how the wind was playing over it. To do that, we'd have to have some kind of microscopic signaling bus. Probably, to get the required sensitivity, we'd have to put the sensors at the ends of stalks that stuck out into the wind, probably best to make those stalks form part of the lifting surfaces... Yup, if we wanted to make the most efficient flying machine, we'd probably end up making a bird. Kind of makes me wonder what kind of mechanical contrivance we'd come up with to move about on the land efficiently, be able to pick things up, manipulate tools... Human centric notions, I guess. But, for something that can move about and wield tools in the bottom of an ugly gravity well, we do pretty good.

David...

BCRider
02-15-2018, 04:49 PM
Our bodies are utterly worthless. The faster we can build high intelligence in a non-bio form and venture off into space the better.

But some of them are rather nice to look at and cuddle up to... ... Not yours of course... .I don't play that way.... :D

Dave, some of the latest generation soaring gliders are a good bit more efficient than a typical soaring bird. Of course they don't also need to dive onto prey. So perhaps more single minded in purpose. What's missing with them would be some thermal sensors around the wings, nose and tail and a way of thermal imaging the air out to some distance around them. And then a clever program to add all the data up to determine where the rising air is fly over to it and circle in it to gain altitude. I don't think that would require AI. Add solar panels and onboard batteries that can run a helper motor to move through areas of zero lift and "bed down" at suitable spots and allow for takeoff and climb up to some lift when it detects that conditions are right and you'd have a very efficient fly'bot that behaves in a rather bird like manner.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-15-2018, 04:58 PM
But some of them are rather nice to look at and cuddle up to... ... Not yours of course... .I don't play that way.... :D

True, but that wouldn't change, it would become the absolute nicest thing one could possibly look at. The only difference would be instead of unreliable and problematic chemical signaling, it would be done with absolutely perfect signal integrity and the interpretation of those signals can be virtually anything instead of severely limited to what physically exists to trigger marginal signals.