PDA

View Full Version : bolt behind vari head

steyr556
08-26-2004, 04:05 PM
What is the large bolt behine the head on right side positioned on a 45 degree angle used for?
This bolt is just in front of the head pivot joint with the degree markings.

lynnl
08-26-2004, 05:01 PM
vari head? What machine are we talking about?

steyr556
08-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Its a bridgeport variable speed head with the 1.5 hp motor I beleive its a J head.

Also would like to know if the gear box is supposed to have heavy grease in the box, Lithium or what and what is the screw just in front of motor for it looks like a clutch adjusting tensioner with a lock down nut?

This machine seems to draw a slightly high amp at 6 amp when its rated for 4.4 when not even under load and it seems a little stiff when starting.

last but not least where can I get a operators and a repair manual from for these Beasts?

Thanks for your help in advance.

sandman2234
08-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Notice the small writing under the red letters on this link.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/

David from jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

lynnl
08-26-2004, 09:46 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, that angle'd hex head is the bolt that has a worm gear on it that cranks the head around to achieve the desired angular orientation to the table (relative to the X-axis). You loosen the bolts on the front of the head assmbly, then start cranking.
That's what I've always assumed. ...never really repositioned mine.

sandman2234
08-26-2004, 11:28 PM
and it is a good idea to give it a little help, as those gears tend to strip very easily.Then you will be trying to get ahold of Dee for some new parts.
david from jax