X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 38_Cal
    • Dec 2007

OT: Green Bananas

Many of us have heard the line, "Don't buy green bananas." from the doctor to his very ill patient, warning him that he doesn't have much time left on the green side of the grass. Well, if I hadn't been getting regular physicals and blood work, I might have had that line told to me. My last physical in January, my blood work came back on the high side for PSA, so my Nurse Practitioner sent me to see the Urologist. He did the finger where the sun don't shine and found some suspicious bumps on my prostate. Next in line was a biopsy...imagine getting a porcupine shoved up your bum! Unfortunately, the biopsy came back positive for cancer cells, so I got to meet another nice doctor and group of nurses/technicians. After discussing the treatment options with the doc and my wife, we've decided on five weeks of radiation followed a few weeks later with localized high dosage radiation directly in the prostate.

I'm not thrilled by all of this, but I do want to dance at my youngest grandson's wedding...and he's only two years old. A friend of mine failed to get checked, and he only found out about the problem when it became untreatable...he died a slow, painful death about a year ago. So, what I'm saying, guys, is to get checked, please. The treatment isn't fun, but it beats the alternative.

Off my soapbox.
    David Kaiser
    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
  • boslab
    • Dec 2007

I'm so sorry about your condition, I hope it works out, I also hope sincearly that the offending porcupine is removed and that it does not struggle too much, take care and get well
    Mark

Comment

• Stu
      • Jul 2007

I went through the same thing 16 years ago at 50 years of age. I opted to have the prostrate removed. Can I ask you how old are you? I ask because age can be a determining factor in which treatment to use. Stu

Comment

• 38_Cal
        • Dec 2007

Thanks, Mark. Stu, I'm 68 this month. The docs offered the option of removal, but advised me that the recovery time would be much longer than with radiation treatment. Since I work part time at the local Ace Hardware store, and try to get out to my shop with some regularity, the longer lag in getting back to what passes for normal was not acceptable to me.
        David Kaiser
        “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
        ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Joe Rogers
          • Mar 2011

My issue was at 65. My personal physician advised me to have Divinci (robotic) surgery as surgery would not be an option after radiation. Two weeks after the surgery the cathater was out and I was then on light duty physically for 6 months. Done.
          Joe

Comment

• chip's
            • Sep 2002

Sorry to hear about your problem. I hope it it goes very well for you.

Comment

• Brett Hurt
              • Oct 2001

i had the same thing went vagen cut out surger no food out of box pre made, lost a lot weight, every thing changed too the good. I all so cut carbs that made a big difrence. My doc said I can still have a glass of wine, i ride a bike 100 miles a week no more problems, when I see the my doc every thing is great but she puts a finger where it should not go.

Comment

• dave_r
                • Feb 2016

My dad had prostate, and lung and some lymph nodes with cancer, diagnosed at around 75 and lived to 80. He didn't do much in the way of treatment, mainly just managing the pain (as a personal choice, as he could have had a variety of treatments to at least delay the inevitable awhile). Likely due to working at various mines and then in the big city working on heavy duty equipment for 30+ years...

Comment

• Richard P Wilson
                  • Aug 2012

Been there, had the radiation treatment several years ago. Just routine PSA blood tests every 6 months, so far no sign of re-occurence. Honestly, once you've had the porcupine test, the worst is over. I had to have hormone therapy for 3 months to shrink the thing, then had to attend hospital 5 days a week for 7 weeks. Took about an hour each time, including waiting room time. That was in the UK though, US methods might be different.
                  'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Working...
                  X