PDA

View Full Version : Angular Contact Bearing Installation?

NiftyNev
03-10-2018, 05:45 AM
Have a Toyo ML-1 lathe which takes 20 x 42 x 12mm bearings. Got single row Angular Contact to fit. Now for the silly question. Which way do I install them on the spindle?

MattiJ
03-10-2018, 06:06 AM
Have a Toyo ML-1 lathe which takes 20 x 42 x 12mm bearings. Got single row Angular Contact to fit. Now for the silly question. Which way do I install them on the spindle?
More than a few combinations:

https://www.gmnbt.com/spindle-bearings-technical-info.htm

Not familiar with the ML-1 specifics so for better quesses you need to specify how many bearings, if there is spacers and where the preloading nuts are located.

NiftyNev
03-10-2018, 06:12 AM
Two bearings, no spacers and just nut on tail of spindle IIRC. Had it apart for years and just getting around on putting it back together. Can't rush these things. LOL. Just need to remember where all the bits belong.

Link to Toyo - http://www.lathes.co.uk/toyo/page3.html

CCWKen
03-10-2018, 07:03 AM
The bearings should be marked or indicated for thrust side. The thrust side will face out on both ends.

JoeLee
03-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Are you referring to the high point of eccentricity (burnish mark) of the bearing in relation to the spindle markings, if any????

Not sure what your asking. Is this a duplex configuration?? Pre-load???

JL..............

MattiJ
03-10-2018, 09:39 AM
Two bearings, no spacers and just nut on tail of spindle IIRC. Had it apart for years and just getting around on putting it back together. Can't rush these things. LOL. Just need to remember where all the bits belong.

Link to Toyo - http://www.lathes.co.uk/toyo/page3.html

Most probably "O" back to back confiquration (see the link above)

Rich Carlstedt
03-10-2018, 11:40 AM
You want the front bearing (nearest chuck) to be the thrust bearing .
Look at this bearing cross-section
http://www.skf.com/us/products/bearings-units-housings/ball-bearings/angular-contact-ball-bearings/single-row-angular-contact-ball-bearings/index.html
The right side on this bearing should be close to the chuck, so this picture fits your installation perfectly for the front bearing.
The rear bearing will be opposite , so your draw nut on the ( spindle )assembly will tighten both bearings and give you the most rigidity

Rich

Rich Carlstedt
03-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Also meant to comment on bearing design. A 25 to 40 degree pressure angle on a angular bearing usually has a large shoulder on one side of the inner race, and a large shoulder on the opposite side for the outer race. You can easily see this in the SKF link I posted.
Lesser angle bearings may only have the outer race with a larger shoulder...see the photo of this in the Link for post # 2

In either case, you always want the outer race large shoulders to face the inside of the headstock.

Rich

NiftyNev
03-11-2018, 05:06 AM
You want the front bearing (nearest chuck) to be the thrust bearing .
Look at this bearing cross-section
http://www.skf.com/us/products/bearings-units-housings/ball-bearings/angular-contact-ball-bearings/single-row-angular-contact-ball-bearings/index.html
The right side on this bearing should be close to the chuck, so this picture fits your installation perfectly for the front bearing.
The rear bearing will be opposite , so your draw nut on the ( spindle )assembly will tighten both bearings and give you the most rigidity

Rich

Got it now. After posting and having a closer look at the bearings, this is what I thought. I think the inner race can be pushed out if not done this way.

garyhlucas
03-11-2018, 06:08 PM
25 degree pressure angle bearings are a bit tough to identify the thrust side. 40 degree bearings need the thrust side notched to get the ball into the races. Just did one.

sarge41
03-11-2018, 06:23 PM
NiftyNev: Does it use spacers for preload ?

Sarge41

NiftyNev
03-13-2018, 05:24 AM
NiftyNev: Does it use spacers for preload ?

Sarge41

No. Now have to wait because I was supplied the wrong bearings. Got 20x47x12 instead of the 20x42x12 I asked for.

lakeside53
03-13-2018, 11:28 AM
The preload is set by the differential grind on the bearings.

J Tiers
03-13-2018, 01:30 PM
If this is a typical 2 bearing machine, will not one be at the nose, and the other at the tail end of the spindle, with the preload set by the tail nut? No spacers or special grind used then. We have not been granted a picture of the setup, the link does not seem to show it, but the OP said no spacers etc.

The bearings would both be set up to take thrust "inward" into the housing, so that when the nut is snugged to set preload, the bearings support the tension in the spindle.

MattiJ
03-13-2018, 02:13 PM
If this is a typical 2 bearing machine, will not one be at the nose, and the other at the tail end of the spindle, with the preload set by the tail nut? No spacers or special grind used then. We have not been granted a picture of the setup, the link does not seem to show it, but the OP said no spacers etc.

The bearings would both be set up to take thrust "inward" into the housing, so that when the nut is snugged to set preload, the bearings support the tension in the spindle.

That was my understanding of bearing setup also.

NiftyNev
03-15-2018, 05:28 AM

Correct. Got the correct bearings now. Just a little difference. They only have larger flange on the outer race so this goes to inside of headstock the same as the others, as explained before. Thanks everyone for the advice.