PDA

View Full Version : What type of carbide insert tooling to use??

PorscheNut
08-17-2001, 05:57 AM
One of *thee* biggest benefits to insert tooling is the ability to select the correct insert (type/coating/material/edge) for the material you will be cutting...

Brand wise you will find Kennametal is available locally and almost all the internet/mail order biggies (J&L, Grainger, etc.) Get ahold of a catalog and select the recommended inserts and style for the majority of your jobs. I prefer Sumitomo as I like the way the stuff is packaged and I think the quality is a tad higher, but those 2 brands are worth a look.

[This message has been edited by PorscheNut (edited 08-17-2001).]

shapeaholic
04-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Hello Group:
I have now got my 13x40 Sandard-Modern lathe installed and working, and I am inthe process of "tooling up"
What would be the most appropriate type of carbide insert tooling to use on this machine? It is a fairly heavy duty, 3 hp.
I am making the leap from a 9" south bend, where I used mostly HSS, so this carbide stuff is new to me.
Thanks
Pete

jfsmith
04-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Try Pafana from KBC, they have them on sale from time to time. I have two sets and they work well.

Jerry

wierdscience
04-18-2004, 03:08 PM
I use two CNMG-322 holders ,one right and one left,I also use a boring bar with the same insert,it keeps a lid on how many different inserts I have to keep.

quasi
04-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Shapeaholic, Busy Bee has a sale on now for carbide tool holders and inserts, I think it lasts till the end of april.

These are chineze stuff, holders in sizes 3/8 1/2 5/8 1/4 I think the inserts are positive rake triangular.

Nice lathe, I am considering buying that same model new, VERY expensive.

Mike W
04-18-2004, 04:37 PM
I would buy USA carbide inserts.

motorworks
04-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Hi
One of the best turning tools I have found is the ISO# MTJNR 12-3 negative insert holder.It takes a TNMG 332 insert.Inserts are not too $$ and they have six cutting edges.Iscar,kennametal and others make or carry them.
Get a boring bar that takes the same insert and that way you will have "less" to buy.
If you need a parting tool, go with the Iscar.Found out they were the best the hard(read $$)way.
e