PDA

View Full Version : Making room when there is none--

brian Rupnow
03-31-2018, 01:34 PM
Ten years ago when I decided to take up machining as a hobby, I partitioned off an eight foot x seven foot annex of my design office, hung a door on it, and placed my newly purchased lathe and mill and bandsaw in there and had tons of room. Each year the equipment and all it's peripherals have grown--and grown--and grown. The bandsaw was first to go--out to my main garage. Then I needed cupboards, and shelves, and cabinets. My recent purchase of expanding laps left me with a terrible problem. I had no room to store them anywhere.--But wait--What about the area above the top of the mill? It's free space. So, this morning I raised the head of the mill as high as it would go, then gave an inch of clearance, and made a bridge. Now my laps have a place to live. That top board on the bridge has a 5 degree slope towards the wall to keep things from vibrating off and falling on my head. I won't be putting anything heavy up there. My old head is bald as a cue ball, and shows all the knocks and dings too well.
https://imageshack.com/a/img924/4226/E2YzrB.jpg
https://imageshack.com/a/img923/8621/5rMdFC.jpg
https://imageshack.com/a/img924/6123/TP4hok.jpg

ezduzit
03-31-2018, 01:43 PM
...when I decided to take up machining as a hobby, I partitioned off an eight foot x seven foot annex...

About right for a small bathroom. :)

03-31-2018, 01:44 PM
You stil got lots of room there.
That shelf to left of the lathe, the long matrerial can all fit in a plastic pail, them square type they sel, dod0g biscuits in are space friendly. Unless you are lefthanded, I think a small narrow shelf , turned 90 degrees on either end of lathe would be roomier, Than where it is now.

ncjeeper
03-31-2018, 01:48 PM
Time for a large out building.

LKeithR
03-31-2018, 01:48 PM
We get's creative when we runs out of room don't we? My brother and I are still running our business from a 2400 square ft. rental
bay in a commercial building. With all the stuff we've accumulated over 40+ years it can get pretty crowded in there but we're
working towards down-sizing to two home shops within the next year or so and that's gonna mean some serious purging--gonna be
a lot of tears and agonizing over what to keep and what to get rid of. I'm sure we'll both be taking advantage of every nook and
cranny in our respective shops...

J Tiers
03-31-2018, 02:50 PM
Store materials elsewhere... in garage along with the saw you use to cut the bulk material to the size you need.

My main shop area is a shade larger.... it has lathe, 2 rollarounds, a 6 foot bench, arbor press, diamond hone, storage shelves and wall cabinet, plus a "wall-o-tools" hung up on pegboard, drill and cutter storage, some materials, and shelves of bools etc. Mill and 18" swing DP are in an "annex", a 3 1/2 x 5 foot area outside the main shop, which is in the old coal bin.

It can get tight.

If it were not for Youtube's new policy, you could still see the shop of the lady who made the pistol from scratch.... But I bet they shut her off. She has a shop likely smaller than either of ours.

FLhobbyguy
03-31-2018, 03:34 PM
Up where Brian lives he probably would have rusty steel if stored in the garage just like I would here in Florida. All other metals must stay in the garage.

brian Rupnow
03-31-2018, 03:43 PM
No, not much humidity here. I've been here eighteen years, and I don't notice metal rusting in the garage.

garyhlucas
03-31-2018, 04:17 PM
Long shelf over window and along that lowered ceilng would add lots of space.

Baz
03-31-2018, 04:21 PM
Plenty of room above the window, and you could have a few toolboards on vertical hinges. Come on , you're not trying. :D

Mcgyver
03-31-2018, 05:54 PM
I would kill for so much empty and extra space, lucky dog!

J Tiers
03-31-2018, 06:06 PM
Just one of your big mills takes up the space of Brian's shop (or maybe my main area). IIRC you have two of them??

Mcgyver
03-31-2018, 10:08 PM
Just one of your big mills takes up the space of Brian's shop (or maybe my main area). IIRC you have two of them??

three......but he has way more empty space lol. Its almost at the point of having to decide if I want to face left or right before I enter, if I want another tool its diet time.

I do like that layout Brian, it would sure be efficient, everything within a pivot and reach

J Tiers
03-31-2018, 10:14 PM
three......but he has way more empty space lol. Its almost at the point of having to decide if I want to face left or right before I enter, if I want another tool its diet time.

hey, when you have big tools, you need the space to get big work into the shop..... and to allow full movement of the mill tables.....

You are right about the pivot and reach deal, I have that now, and if I change to any of the new layouts that seem to make sense, I will lose that. I need a new layout, I have to fit another lathe with a big base into the space that now has only the tools etc listed above in it.

Brian:

You need to use your Solidworks skills... Alibre is helpful for me.... I actually did the entire basement in a model, including the main shop, annex, plus electronics, woodshop and grinding shop. This is the latest version of the main plus annex in its revised form (same space, wall moved). But this is going to need work..... I forgot the overhead trolley from the door area to the bench, which means the tall red rollaround has to be elsewhere, maybe the drill press as well

https://i.imgur.com/50ILjBg.jpg?1

Illinoyance
03-31-2018, 10:25 PM
There is still a little wall space for shelves. You have a big board with some T shaped tools, maybe allen wrenches. Find a more compact way of storing them and you can open up a little more wall space for shelves.

03-31-2018, 11:31 PM
Brian , you are about 60 percent full..

Peter.
04-01-2018, 03:42 AM
I'd get 2 or 3 of those 15-drawer Bisley cabinets and line them up under the window, put all your small stuff into drawers that'll clear a lot of the walls and shelves up. Then rip off that white cupboard and the shelving over the lathe and put some decent metal wall cupboards that come out at least as far as the boxing on the ceiling, that'll hold everything else that's on the shelves all around and more. Put a light on the underside of the cupboards for the lathe.

MushCreek
04-01-2018, 07:00 AM
Wow- and I feel my 28 X 48 shop is too small... but then, I have all of that walking to do.

AD5MB
04-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Wow- and I feel my 28 X 48 shop is too small... but then, I have all of that walking to do.

If I had 28 X 48 my motorcycles would live indoors, my table saw would live indoors, and I would have to fend off freeloaders who want just this little bit of space right here...

16 X 13. What you got is what you get.

brian Rupnow
04-01-2018, 09:19 AM
It is admittedly cozy. I find that there is ample room to do what I need, as long as I don't dance. And I hate it when I'm working on my lathe, back up to admire my work, and goose myself on the mill table handle.

old mart
04-01-2018, 11:20 AM
I have seen folding handles about the same size as your mill Y axis one, but cannot remember where.

3 Phase Lightbulb
04-01-2018, 11:23 AM
That looks like a great setup Brian. When I setup my shop, I had some windows that I was originally hesitant to "block" by putting shelving or something directly in front of the window rendering it useless, but once you don't see the window anymore, you forget it was even there :) Of course if you rely on natural light from a window or just want natural light then it's harder to justify blocking the window but I think you still have lots of area to add more storage. You could add lots of shelving in front of that window, or lots of removable poly storage bins, or a nice big peg board for hanging lots of items, or a combination of many things. Try blacking out the window for a little while and see if you still have enough working light and pretend you just got a ton more storage and organization where the window used to be.

brian Rupnow
04-01-2018, 11:36 AM
I like to have the window for natural light. There is space above the window which I may someday utilize, but I can't reach up there without a step stool or short ladder. I'm still okay room-wise. My stock of material which is standing on end in front of the window is going to get relocated to somewhere else. I did have it at the far end of the lathe but it's getting too congested in there.

AD5MB
04-01-2018, 03:58 PM
I have seen folding handles about the same size as your mill Y axis one, but cannot remember where.

Probably Essentra, formerly known as Reid Tools. There motto could be "if Grainger doesn't have it, we do"

http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/search?searchTerm=folding+crnk&beginIndex=0

http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/handles/crank-handles/fixed-crank-handles

old mart
04-01-2018, 04:04 PM
The folding handle that I saw had a full disc to grip if required, it was probably on eBay.

Arcane
04-01-2018, 04:17 PM
I'd get 2 or 3 of those 15-drawer Bisley cabinets and line them up under the window, put all your small stuff into drawers that'll clear a lot of the walls and shelves up. Then rip off that white cupboard and the shelving over the lathe and put some decent metal wall cupboards that come out at least as far as the boxing on the ceiling, that'll hold everything else that's on the shelves all around and more. Put a light on the underside of the cupboards for the lathe.

Agreed! When I bought my place the previous owner had put up 1x6 shelving on the walls of the garage. As soon as I could I bought several steel wall mount cabinets which freed up a tremendous amount of wall space which allowed me to install a few 6' tall shelving units. A 2' deep one of those with several shelves holds a huge amount of material.