A bit of jewellry making tackle, a ring facetting machine. And then what happens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mcgyver
    • Mar 2005

A bit of jewellry making tackle, a ring facetting machine. And then what happens?

And now for something completely different....

I acquired this recently with some other items, its used in faceting rings and such. There is no brand mentioned on it but after an huge amount of googling I've identified it as part of a FMTD diamond facet cutter. Swiss, for cutting diamonds in metal, not for cutting diamonds. A jewelers tool. I believe the idea is a with a super sharp tool, a brilliant reflective surface is left.

Cleaned up well and all the parts are there. Not sure what I'll do with it other than let it hold a bench down......anyone ever used one? have a brilliant ideas? It could easily be mounted on a mill, but cries out for some sort of rapid advancement with a stop

located in Toronto Ontario
    • Apr 2017

You are in luck, a guy just posted looking for something to set up angles..

Comment

• enginuity
      • Apr 2010

I think the more important question is ... how exactly do you come across this stuff? LOL!

If I had no use for that thing I would put it on my desk. I know they say beauty is the the eye of the beholder, but folks can keep their fancy paintings on the walls. I'd like my house littered with mechanisms like this one.

Sorry I can't help you as to how you would use it. But nice job on the cleanup.
      www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

• 1-800miner
        • May 2010

Isn't that the gadget Apollo Nine used to get back to earth?

Comment

• Mcgyver
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by enginuity View Post
          I think the more important question is ... how exactly do you come across this stuff? LOL!
          lol, right place right time. Keep in mind, the posts of the fun stuff don't share the burden of the wasted trips. If there is any secret, its the same as every good salespersons knows; ask the extra questions.

Comment

• J Tiers
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
            ... If there is any secret, its the same as every good salespersons knows; ask the extra questions.
            Yep. Asked if the guy had a jeweler's lathe when I bought my Glendo Accu-finish from him. So he pulls out a Boley, with a toolbox full of stuff (tools, watch and clock parts, etc), and about 50 WW collets.... price $25, including a base and motor. He wasn't selling any cross-slides, though, so all it has is a graver rest.
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• GrayTech
              • Nov 2016

Maybe you could mod it to hold and sharpen bits or lathe tools.

Comment

• Mcgyver
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by GrayTech View Post
                Maybe you could mod it to hold and sharpen bits or lathe tools.
                its a good idea...but I built one eons ago to do just that . I'm going to have to start wearing rings

Comment

• sasquatch
                  • May 2006

Damn, that is NICE!

Comment

• Weston Bye
                    Contributing Editor
                    • Jun 2002

Faceting RINGS? Or is it for faceting gems to put on rings? Could do either one.
                    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

• Mcgyver
                      • Mar 2005

faceting rings. To make it more confusing its often called diamond faceting, but they mean it makes diamond shaped facets not that its faceting diamonds. I've come across faceting machines for diamonds for small dollars (relatively), but was never tempted as that truly seemed something i could never conjure a use for.
                      Last edited by Mcgyver; 04-06-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• old mart
                        • May 2015

What a beauty, it would be a shame to expose it to abrasive dust particles. Micro milling tiny model parts would be it's forte, with a collet fitted to the arm, perhaps.

Comment

• ammcoman2
                          • Dec 2004

Turn it into a Goniometer!

Here is one I found many years ago - modified it into a small grinder for profiling etc.

Geoff
                          Last edited by ammcoman2; 04-06-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X