PDA

View Full Version : Air swivel fed die grinder on the boring head?

bond77
04-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Hello, I seldom post but I cobbled up something that I would like your opinion on, mostly how common/unusual is this? I have never come upon anything like this surfing the web. Maybe I use wrong terminology, what could this contraption/operation be called?

Background is: I welded up a worn bushing seat and bored it out on the mill. The finnish of the bore could´ve been better so I decided to try to get an air die grinder to work in the mills boring head.

More pictures here:
https://www.maskinisten.net/viewtopic.php?p=4004492#p4004492

https://www.maskinisten.net/userpix/929_LKMYXK7XO1N81523116798.jpg
https://www.maskinisten.net/userpix/929_QPZTMUDI9CCB1523116797.jpg

Made a little video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl-bdBI2KUY

Black Forest
04-07-2018, 02:11 PM
As soon as I heard that music I turned it off. Why do people posting videos think that kind of music adds anything to the video.

old mart
04-07-2018, 02:31 PM
Clever setup, I would worry about abrasive particles damaging the mill, didn't you have a vacuum cleaner to suck up most of it?

Dave C
04-07-2018, 03:15 PM
As soon as I heard that music I turned it off. Why do people posting videos think that kind of music adds anything to the video.
I found it odd that he cut the music so we could hear the machine as it was jogged, and for a short span of the grinder whining. I would much prefer no music. No sound with only an occasional comment would be good. For me, it's not this video in particular, but background music in general. Maybe it's just my poor hearing, but it's mostly annoying, especially when someone is talking over background music.

micrometer50
04-07-2018, 03:32 PM
You can mute the sound.

Tundra Twin Track
04-07-2018, 03:52 PM
I see you have a Varnamo , only one I have seen on here besides mine.What size is yours mine is a U3.

bond77
04-08-2018, 11:06 AM
(The video is some quickly cobbled together crap a took while working, not necessery to watch it for the question at hand. I do have a small interest in photo and video editing, not enough to take the time to do a good job of it but most deem it bearable anyway. I personally prefer some quick texts and tunes rather than listening to some studdering old guy taking half an hour to explain how to chamfer a hole. Ranting of irrelavant opinions over.)

In my mind my idea of die grinding with the boring head would be something others also could've thought up. It wasn't that difficult. Didn't take that much time to create. And the resulting surface finnish is outstanding. Of course, would my bored up welds produced a better finnish to start with, I would never have given it another thought...

@Tundra Twin Track - Yes I have seen some of your post about your machine, hydraulically converted feed system was it? Guess it can be adjusted infinately low then? Working ok? Would be interesting to see some schematics or specs on that feed mechanism... You don't happen to have any manuals/spare parts catalogs for it? Only litterature I have is this badly scanned manual here:
https://www.maskinisten.net/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=1476
Here in Scandinavia Värnamo is one of the most common brands of mid size machines. My Värnamo U-3MM(same as yours then?) mill I found in a local scrap yard ready to become rebar. Got it cheap but it's badly worn on the X and Y ways, even... hmm...(what do you call it when to equal metals slides hard against each other without lubrcation taking chunks out of each surfaces, like when a piston in an engine seizes?) Thats what I got on both ways.... Oh well, it works for common farm repair... Biggest issue that I found right now is that the overarm seems to be rusted stuck... No need to move it right now but eventually I guess I might need the thing adjusted for something. Guess the solution includes a bottle jack...

I have more pictures of my mill in this thread:
https://www.maskinisten.net/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=290197

chipmaker4130
04-08-2018, 11:17 AM
. . .Why do people posting videos think that kind of music adds anything to the video.

I don't know, why do people think posting only to make a negative comment adds anything to the thread? C'mon BF, its a very creative solution and I think he did a great job. I may even try it sometime.

Toolguy
04-08-2018, 11:20 AM
I thought the grinder was well done as a project, and produced a good result in the workpiece, so all in all, a worthwhile watch. There are commercial air and electric die grinders for milling machines, but they are expensive and hard to come by. That video is what this forum is all about, mainly getting the job done with what tools and equipment you have or can easily procure.

I think the word you are looking for about the ways is "galling".

MattiJ
04-08-2018, 12:02 PM

Can't satisfy all with music choices but it wasn't any worse with music than it would be with constant whine of the die grinder ;)

And interesting "hack". I would try to work out something to collect the grit even if its a "scrapyard find" milling machine.

bond77
04-08-2018, 12:21 PM
Yes, "galling", correct!

Yes, I have planned a vacuum system for the shop. Maybe I get going with it during this year...

J Tiers
04-08-2018, 01:11 PM
Personally, I LIKE the solution, and it is one that I have not thought of.

DIY jig grinder.... OK maybe not THAT accurate, but seems good enough. Much easier with air than with electric.

As for the music..... whatever.... when I saw the subtitles, I just turned off the sound.

Black Forest
04-08-2018, 02:03 PM
I don't know, why do people think posting only to make a negative comment adds anything to the thread? C'mon BF, its a very creative solution and I think he did a great job. I may even try it sometime.

Here is the problem with muting. Maybe just maybe he will have something to say in the video that is pertinent or informative so one leaves the sound on just in case. My comment was made as constructive criticism so that in the future if the OP posts another video he might consider what I wrote. He posted that video editing is an interest of his so I offered advice. If you want to see great videos that keep you interested watch This Old Tony on youtube.

CCWKen
04-08-2018, 04:00 PM
"Grit management" is about all that kept me from buying a grinder attachment for the BP mill. No air needed--The spindle drives the grinder with various sized pulleys. The grinder clamps to the quill. After thinking of all the work cleaning up the lathe after using the TPG, it quelled my desire for the attachment. :cool:

CCWKen
04-08-2018, 04:31 PM
If you want to see great videos that keep you interested watch This Old Tony on youtube.
He has good videos but I skip over most of the unnecessary antics. :rolleyes:

I agree, the music is not necessary and I typically turn it down. Most machinist make lousy video productions. One of my pet peeves is people that mount the camera on the bench or machine they're working on and keep dropping or banging things or moving parts around on the bench/table. It's like trying to listen to someone speak while he's constantly tapping his fingers or banging his fist, watch or jewelry on a podium. My attention and interest leaves pretty quick.

Tundra Twin Track
04-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Hi Bond77 , I looked through your rebuild pics you did a lot work on that beast!I have no manual for mine, gave up looking,the hyd feed works okay but only have 1-1/2" to 17" per minute travel speeds.The most wear on mine was on the Y travel gib area on right side.I fixed the problem by removing the long L clamp and drilled 2 3/8" holes 1" deep facing the machined surface ,then drilled and tapped 5/16" threw to put set screws in.In 3/8" holes I put 3/4" long 3/8" brass dowels that can be tighten up to align it,the gib basically does nothing now.

Mine is 1ph now, had no 3 ph power and wanted to modify to be able to have brake for tapping and tooling changes.Got a lot of ribbing from some of the guys on here about my snowmobile brake thing,but could not imagine having a mill with out after using it for a few years.No schematic for hyd ,but I think factory set up is better but mine had some issues,so that how I went that way.

wdtom44
04-08-2018, 05:56 PM
I second what Toolguy said. Tom