PDA

View Full Version : Fordillac V-8 engine running, finally

gbritnell
04-14-2018, 05:25 PM
Gentlemen,
After many trails and tribulations the flathead engine is running. As the video states many changes were made along the way to first correct my design miscalculations and second to get all the components of and internal combustion engine correct, spark, fuel and compression.
I had the engine ready to go right after Christmas but didn't want to spend time in the cold garage trying to fine tune everything.
The last couple of days saw temperatures in the low 80's here in Ohio so I had no more excuses not to try and get the engine running.
Everything was hooked up, fuel ignition and wiring. I set the ignition timing to around 20 degrees advanced to get started. The fuel needle was just cracked so that I didn't load the plugs right off the bat.
A short spin of the drill while adjusting the carb needle had the engine running on it's own. While running I made adjustments to the distributor but found the timing window was very narrow. A little too much one way or the other would stall the engine.
I started the engine without coolant figuring that whatever changes would need to be made would only be complicated by draining coolant every time. When the engine seemed sorted out I then added coolant and found a few leaks, mainly from the hose clamps. The coolant was drained and the radiator removed so that I could modify the clamps to get a tighter squeeze on the hoses.
I would eventually like to go back to the dual carb setup but for now I'm thrilled to have it running after almost 2 years, from inception to life.
gbrtitnell
https://youtu.be/694CKZlDyzg

sid pileski
04-14-2018, 05:37 PM
Congratulations!! I was just thinking about you and this engine the other day. I had not seen any updates on the other site. So, I’m glad to see it running!

That is real craftsmanship!

Sid

A.K. Boomer
04-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Boy that's neat - it's really got a good sound to it and im actually very surprised at how low and steady the idle was sometimes as i know these little guys have flywheel proportion/effectiveness problemo's so nice to hear it humming a steady tune that low esp. towards the end of the vid after clearing its throat some...

what allot of high quality work you are to be commended once again G britnell

Willy
04-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Beautiful!
My head hurts just thinking of the astonishing amount of design time, calculations etc., never mind the actual machining time that must of went into a project of this magnitude.
Very nice George, very nice indeed.
Wish I could say more but words escape me at this moment in trying to describe my sentiments on the beauty of this project. Just wish I could see it in the flesh.

Dan Dubeau
04-14-2018, 06:12 PM
Very nice George. I always enjoy seeing your work. Knowing HOW you machine all your "castings" makes it even more impressive. Thanks for sharing.

CCWKen
04-14-2018, 06:54 PM
Wow! That is way cool. You need to mount that in a go-kart. :D

Any idea on the approximate horsepower? Sounds bad-ass.

Sparky_NY
04-14-2018, 07:51 PM
Outstanding ! There are a lot of model engine builders out there but few in the world with that level of skill. Truly admired.

BobinOK
04-14-2018, 08:08 PM
Title of this thread sure brought back memories of the old 49-51 Ford days, the Cadillac V8 was a popular replacement in those Fords because the pan would clear the tie rod and guess what... they were dubbed Fordillacs.

Really nice job on that flat head, have always had a soft place in my heart for Ford flat heads, first car was a 50 Ford.

lugnut
04-14-2018, 08:41 PM
VERY NICE, you have made something that is a master piece. I love the sound, I had a few flathead Ford V8s back in the fifties.

Duhemud
04-14-2018, 08:57 PM
WOW! What Willie said!

Tundra Twin Track
04-14-2018, 10:28 PM
Very Nice,your attention to detail is amazing.

ironmonger
04-15-2018, 07:35 AM
Wow. What a lovely snarl to wake up to on a Sunday morning. I have sent links to all my gear head buddies.

Toolguy
04-15-2018, 09:45 AM
I agree with what everyone else said. That is truly a high level of art and fine craftsmanship not seen much anymore. The engine sounds tight (no rattles) and runs smoothly. It is certainly a project to be proud of.

sasquatch
04-15-2018, 06:52 PM
Love it George, great work as always. Thanks for posting this for us.

morsetaper2
04-15-2018, 10:50 PM
Impressive!

darryl
04-16-2018, 02:03 AM
Have to agree with everyone else- that is a fine piece of craftsmanship. Sounds cool too!

Mike Amick
04-16-2018, 01:18 PM
What can you say ... sounds so good almost want to make it my ringtone. lol.

I notice that you do have a starter motor on it, Is it an off shelf item and will it actually start the engine. It looks
perfect, and was just wondering.

Willy
04-16-2018, 01:53 PM
What can you say ... sounds so good almost want to make it my ringtone. lol.

I notice that you do have a starter motor on it, Is it an off shelf item and will it actually start the engine. It looks
perfect, and was just wondering.

George mentions in the video that all of the bolt on components like starter, generator, and fuel pump are non functional but are scale replicas added to enhance the realism of the engine.
You can also see him use a hand held drill inserted into the bellhousing in order to start the engine.

Mike Amick
04-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Thanks Willy ..

I actually watched the vid, but the list of accomplishments was so long that it must have gotten lost in my brain.

And I don't know if it would be cheating, but couldn't you put a very powerful off shelf motor inside a replicate casing
of the starter motor .. and have it actually start the motor. Just think that would add coolness to it.

gbritnell
04-16-2018, 04:38 PM
A friend has an engine with a starter motor. It's out of scale but works fine. A high rpm motor from an RC car can be used but would need to be geared down considerably to get enough torque to start the engine. The dummy starter on this engine is just way too small to retrofit anything comparable.
There are some model engines mounted on a box with the starter underneath. A toothed belt transmits rotation to a one-way bearing, which I also use. I have what looks like a clutch assembly bolted to the flywheel and in the clutch is my one-way bearing.
gbritnell

Mike Amick
04-16-2018, 10:31 PM
well .. i can only glimpse into your league. I don't have enough life left to get that good ... lol

Anyways ... thanks for sharing.