PDA

View Full Version : OT: What to do with old rubber excavator tracks!

Black Forest
04-15-2018, 11:14 AM
For a long time I have wanted to build my daughter and obstacle course for riding. It is called Extreme Trail.
So I have been building small hills behind the riding arena. Between these hills will be bridges. One rigid and another wobbly one.

This morning I had a couple of hours so I thought I would start building her course. I had three rubber excavator tracks saved with the intention of building steps with them for the horses to walk up or down.
So I built steps this morning and then had to try it out! Worked a treat. I used my hydraulic hammer with a flat foot on it to compact the dirt in the steps and then the bucket to flatten the top.

All that was left was to give it a try.
https://youtu.be/bK5dKQ-iqjk

DATo
04-15-2018, 02:00 PM
Greetings Blackie,

I don't know much about riding horses, but why can't the horse just walk up that hill without steps? Understand that I'm not criticizing I guess I just don't get the point. It looks like the horse is working harder than he would have to if he just had a natural hill. What am I missing?

alanganes
04-15-2018, 02:30 PM
Ya know, I was just saying to my wife the other day "Honey, what do you think I should do with all those old rubber excavator tracks we have?"

:) Nice work, and good use of "stuff at hand."

You do come up with some clever ideas for your projects and actually make them happen. That second part is something I've not fully mastered.

Black Forest
04-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Greetings Blackie,

I don't know much about riding horses, but why can't the horse just walk up that hill without steps? Understand that I'm not criticizing I guess I just don't get the point. It looks like the horse is working harder than he would have to if he just had a natural hill. What am I missing?

You are exactly right and you aren't missing anything! Most things people do with their horses are useless.
The idea is to have the horse trust you enough to do all the stupid things we humans ask them to do.

TGTool
04-15-2018, 03:47 PM
I heard Teddy Roosevelt rode his horse into a bar in San Antonio once. So, I think BF is right on track (no pun intended) in practicing to drop into his local bar and make a grand entrance.

A.K. Boomer
04-15-2018, 05:04 PM
I heard Teddy Roosevelt rode his horse into a bar in San Antonio once. So, I think BF is right on track (no pun intended) in practicing to drop into his local bar and make a grand entrance.

Unless he knew the bar had a cement floor that's taking quite a chance is it not?

boslab
04-15-2018, 05:32 PM
Very original, well done
Mark

RB211
04-15-2018, 11:15 PM
Why not set them on fire and dress up as a Somalian?

1-800miner
04-15-2018, 11:25 PM
I have one cut into two pieces. I park the dozer on them so tracks and pins don't rust.

old mart
04-16-2018, 11:44 AM
I wonder if they would make usable fenders for a work boat?