PDA

View Full Version : Any one made machinable wax?

1-800miner
04-19-2018, 10:28 PM
I know it is wax and the same plastic in milk jugs. What ratio?
Any tricks to melting the plastic without burning? I assume you melt it first then add wax.
I have bunches of bees wax and paraffin. Which one is better?

1-800miner
04-19-2018, 10:45 PM
After I asked all the dumb question I looked around the internet and found dozens of articles about it.
Looks pretty easy if I don't burn the kitchen down.

Stepside
04-19-2018, 10:47 PM
I was thinking of using the machinable wax for "Lost Wax" casting. I called the factory and was told that it was a vegetable wax and therefore not toxic. I believe it was Freeman brand wax.

doctor demo
04-20-2018, 12:05 AM
Looks pretty easy if I don't burn the kitchen down.
Yeah, I'm thinking that would not be a good thing.

Steve

04-20-2018, 01:43 AM
You dont need another fire...

darryl
04-20-2018, 03:37 AM
I call it garbage bag gravy. I used ordinary paraffin and most, but not all, shopping bags will work to mix into it. The ones with the least ink on and in them work best. Melt the paraffin and slowly add shredded bits of garbage bag- don't melt the shreddies in the pan first. Thorough mixing goes a long way towards it being smoothly machinable. I think the bottom line is spending enough time to get the mix homogenized well. You'll get a feel as you go on how much material to melt into the mix. Just start with a shopping bag full of shredded bags, adding it slowly to the melted wax as you continue to stir. If you pass the point where added material doesn't melt well, you might have to add more paraffin to soften it enough that it continues to mix as you stir.

If you don't need the highest hardness in the machinable wax, you can go high on the paraffin ratio. You will still get a very workable wax out of it, much harder than paraffin alone, and it will be more easily pour-able.

johnnyd
04-20-2018, 08:10 AM
Look for "LDPE" plastic. It is designated "4" in the recyclables coding system. It is a low density polyethylene plastic.
Basic instructions are to dissolve as much as you can to reach saturation, and do it outside with good ventilation.
There is considerable information to be found on some of the CNC forums.

Dan Dubeau
04-20-2018, 08:26 AM
Would it be strong enough to use as a buck for vacuum forming? I'm thinking it would be but It's been a long time since I've had some in my hands. Didn't know it was that easy to make, I'm going to give it a go.