PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Removal From a Duplex Machinist Box

rwilliams
04-24-2018, 08:59 AM
I ran in to the problem of removing tool chest drawers from a Duplex Machinist Chest that has no “release lever” obvious catch or known magic spell.

I found a few threads about making a “slim jim” to realize the hidden catch, they do work.

Here are a few pictures of the catches and the tool I cut from a hack saw blade, de-burred and used. Also, there is a picture of what I think is the original tool, it is about .025" thick, I later found among the 70 year old collection of oddities in my Uncle’s box. I am glad I never cleaned it out.

Bob

I can't seem to attach the images; I will try later.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2767&d=1524579931
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2766&d=1524579929
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2765&d=1524579926

CCWKen
04-24-2018, 10:04 AM
I need to make one for my old Montgomery Ward tool box. After 50 years, it got misplaced. I remember it being about 3/8" wide and made of spring steel. A hacksaw blade may work if I grind the width down. I've got something in the middle drawer that has flipped up and caught behind the drawer above it. I hate when that happens. :mad:

J Tiers
04-24-2018, 11:27 AM
My Wards Powr-Kraft box seemed identical to a Kennedy. I don't recall needing any special tool to remove drawers. Is yours different?

rwilliams
04-24-2018, 12:39 PM
Yes, it is different. There is no spring clip, to pull out, to release the drawer slide. On my Duplex chest the drawer slide is retained by the small flat spring on the inside of the slide catching on a protruding catch on the drawer. The metal strip, when slid in allows the spring to over ride the catch.

LKeithR
04-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Yes, it is different. There is no spring clip, to pull out, to release the drawer slide. On my Duplex chest the drawer slide is retained by the small flat spring on the inside of the slide catching on a protruding catch on the drawer. The metal strip, when slid in allows the spring to over ride the catch.

A lot of older tool boxes were like that. We have a Snap-On box from the late 60s that uses exactly the same system.
We've managed to hold on to the original tools but it would be easy to make a couple from a piece of .020" x 1/2" steel
strapping...

J Tiers
04-24-2018, 01:38 PM
Hmmm.

I just wish the Gerstner and Sipco wood boxes, as well as the watchmaker's bench drawers, had retainers. You can pull the drawers out too far and dump the contents if you are not careful.

EddyCurr
04-24-2018, 03:37 PM
A lot of older tool boxes were like that. We have a Snap-On box from the late 60s that uses exactly the same system.
We've managed to hold on to the original tools but it would be easy to make a couple from a piece of .020" x 1/2" steel
strapping...I also have a Snap-On machinist chest which I believe dates back perhaps a decade older.

IMO, tool material isn't limited to spring steel or strapping.

I briefly tried cereal box cardboard unsuccessfully before posting, but I'm convinced a more determined effort could yield results if that was all I had. Plastic, brass, alum, mild steel ... My vote is that whatever slides in through the track slot opening stands a chance of releasing the latching mechanism.

LKeithR
04-24-2018, 11:07 PM
...IMO, tool material isn't limited to spring steel or strapping.

They make extra long feeler gauges in steel and plastic--I'm sure either would work. Just have to be
a little creative...