PDA

View Full Version : OT Store Clerk Knowledge

rwilliams
05-06-2018, 07:30 PM
I usually resist OT posting.

But, this was amazing, I went to O'Reilly's Auto Parts and asked if they had any inner tubes. The clerk had no idea what I was asking about. I might as well have asked for an explanation of quantum physics.

Bob

3 Phase Lightbulb
05-06-2018, 07:38 PM
I usually resist OT posting.

But, this was amazing, I went to O'Reilly's Auto Parts and asked if they had any inner tubes. The clerk had no idea what I was asking about. I might as well have asked for an explanation of quantum physics.

Bob

Hmmmmmmm... Never mind :)

danlb
05-06-2018, 07:42 PM
Funny how that happens. I walked into an Ace Hardware store and asked if they carried reamers. I had to describe it. Even so, there was no hint of recognition in his manner.

I finally poked around the tools long enough, and found what I was looking for. The clerk's "I wondered what that was" seemed quite insincere.

chipmaker4130
05-06-2018, 07:52 PM
And then, just two weeks ago on a Friday night, I called one of the local CarQuest auto parts stores. A young woman answered and I asked if she had any remote-mount hydraulic filter bosses. 'Sure, she said, what are the specs?' I told her I'd take anything at this point and make it work, and asked her when they were closing. 'We're closed now' said she, 'but I'll wait for you if you need it tonight'. (We were a 20minute drive away). Then she went to the shelf and began describing what she had, found one that sounded promising and she did, indeed wait until it could be picked up. Great attitude, great aptitude and outstanding service.

It meant a lot to me, not only because it got the delivery truck in service in time for a big delivery next morning, but also because I sold NAPA auto parts for many years and we took pride in knowing what we were talking about and in going the extra mile. It wasn't uncommon for one of us to open up after hours for a small but urgent-to-the-customer sale.

reggie_obe
05-06-2018, 08:06 PM
Funny how that happens. I walked into an Ace Hardware store and asked if they carried reamers. I had to describe it. Even so, there was no hint of recognition in his manner.

I finally poked around the tools long enough, and found what I was looking for. The clerk's "I wondered what that was" seemed quite insincere.

Danlb, know what a fahnestock clip is? Or a what a kep nut or a Tinnerman clip looks like?
Some of you are expecting a lot from someone making little more than $10 an hour. Plus there is the reality that you can't be knowledgeable of everything carried in a store, especially a place like Ace.

sasquatch
05-06-2018, 08:07 PM
Few years ago, my son stopped off at our Local Canadian tire store. Son asked the kid counter guy for some starter cord, and the diameter. Kid had no idea at all what it was even after explaining its use. Pathetic.

Glug
05-06-2018, 08:08 PM
And then, just two weeks ago on a Friday night, I called one of the local CarQuest auto parts stores ... Great attitude, great aptitude and outstanding service. ... it got the delivery truck in service in time for a big delivery next morning...

I hope you tipped her.

3 Phase Lightbulb
05-06-2018, 08:11 PM
I hope you tipped her.

Like a cow? I hope he didn't!

CPeter
05-06-2018, 08:20 PM
45 years ago, I moved to a new town and the local auto parts store had several clerks behind the counter. The one who was the best was not the one you would have asked for by his looks. He KNEW HIS STUFF! You could tell him what make and model and the part and most of the time, he could just go get it off the shelf.............and it would be the right part. Those days are gone. I don't care what field you are in, good parts people are hard to find. When you come across one now, it is a real pleasure.

The days when being a good parts guy was a good job and not just a place to spend you time have passed. Real counter men (and women) are for the most part a thing of the past. I really miss them.
Peter

chipmaker4130
05-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Yup, part of that came about with the widespread use of computers. These days for the most part, if it isn't 'in the computer' all you hear is 'we don't have it'. In my day a good 6 ft of counter was taken up by 'the books' and if what you wanted wasn't listed by application, we could use another book or go to the specification sections and match it up.

There are a few left who can, and will, go to that extent but not many.
Now, for perspective, I left that job in 1980.

danlb
05-06-2018, 09:16 PM
Danlb, know what a fahnestock clip is? Or a what a kep nut or a Tinnerman clip looks like?
Some of you are expecting a lot from someone making little more than $10 an hour. Plus there is the reality that you can't be knowledgeable of everything carried in a store, especially a place like Ace.

Don't know either of those by name, but if you'd described them I could tell you which part of the local hardware store the tinnerman clip is in and I can tell you where the radio shack used to have the fahnestock clips. ( I googled them and recognized them immediately.)

But I was not asking for an esoteric tool. I was asking for a basic tool that they did carry. Yes, I do expect capable and competent help. If they are not aware of their stock, they should reply "I don't know" instead of "we don't have that".

Dan

mygrizzly1022
05-06-2018, 09:18 PM
HI

A while back, I was in the local Canadian Tire Store picking up some plumbing goodies on a Saturday morning. A teenaged young staffer was trying to help a middle-aged woman, sent to the store by her hubby with a list. I could not help hear that it was not going well so I offered to assist. My offer, graciously accepted by both parties. I soon had the customer on her way with what her husband need. The young staffer offered a sincere thank you.
I set about gathering up my goodies and the young person appeared with another customer in tow and said “You seem to know about this stuff, do you think you help us, and me again”?
I give the young women credit for doing the best she could for her customer. I felt sorry for her, thrown to the wolves by management with no mentor or senior staff to call on.

Bert

Paul Alciatore
05-06-2018, 10:18 PM
OK, for the other side. I went into an O'Reilly's Auto Parts a few days ago to ask what they would charge for a replacement electronic key for my GMC. The man behind the counter said let me see it, so I did. He poped it apart and promptly cleaned it. Now it works, if not fine, at least much better. He also gave me a price for a replacement one. Good man!

Edwin Dirnbeck
05-06-2018, 10:46 PM
NO,NO NO,I don't want to go back. In the 1960s,the entire St louis area had exaxtly ONE AUTO PARTS STORE OPEN AFTER 6 PM DAILY. It was open 5 hours on Sunday. All the stores had 4 or 5 tiers of pricing ,depending on who you were or who you know.I cant tell you how many times,I got the wrong part and rushed back on late Saturday afternoon ,only to find the lights out.The good old days wernt all that good.Edwin Dirnbeck

kendall
05-06-2018, 11:00 PM
Try asking counter people for parts to a non-stock car. For some reason they able to grasp the fact that some people change parts on their cars. Some people don't even understand the concept of early or late model changes. Don't know how many times I've had to tell them to look for a year earlier or later to get the right part.
It's why I keep a notebook with the year and make of the parts on my cars and trucks. On most of them, the sheet metal is the only thing factory.

chipmaker4130
05-06-2018, 11:48 PM
. . .Some people don't even understand the concept of early or late model changes. . .

Yeah, Ford started that, and was by far the worst. (Later on they all did it). The questions we used most were "was it made before March 26th, 1966 or after?" and "is that a 4" starter or 4 1/2"?". Or, is that 351 a Cleveland or a Windsor?

Willy
05-07-2018, 12:14 AM
Yeah, Ford started that, and was by far the worst. (Later on they all did it). The questions we used most were "was it made before March 26th, 1966 or after?" and "is that a 4" starter or 4 1/2"?". Or, is that 351 a Cleveland or a Windsor?

Don't forget the 351 M (Modified) LOL
Ford was certainly the worst as you say, even the newer generation 4.6 sohc V-8 engines had Romeo and Windsor variations whose parts were not completely interchangeable!
What a convoluted and needless situation they created for the public. This from a large and supposedly smart and successful corporation.
And we wonder why an entry level job holder doesn't know what he's talking about?

BigMike782
05-07-2018, 12:18 AM
The flip side is....customer comes in and asks for contact tips for his mig welder.
What diameter wire?....I dunno aren’t they all the same?
What mig gun does it have?.....the welder is blue.
Some peoples kids;)

When I am in a box store and have time I will help strangers if I see they are struggling.
13 yrs in a hardware store let’s you see a lot of projects and problems.

fixerdave
05-07-2018, 12:27 AM
I was home sick with the flu a while back... had it bad but decided to vacuum. No idea why. Anyway, I blew the fuse... old screw in style glass fuse. Well, dang, because that was the fuse that ran my computer too. So, in another poor choice, I decide to walk about 8 blocks to a local drug store, thinking they might have one in their hardware section. I stagger in, nope. So, I decide to walk another 8 blocks to an actual hardware store. Really, I'm not thinking straight. I was in pretty rough shape. Anyway, I get there and after walking up and down the isles, no glass fuses. I look over to the snot-nosed kid behind the customer service counter, hum and haw for a while, but figure I should at least go ask him, knowing full full well I'll probably spend the next 20 minutes trying to explain what a screw in glass fuse is. But, I ask... so he reaches behind him on the shelf and hands me a box of 4. Knew exactly what I wanted, knew exactly where it was. It was a small shelf... no idea why the one thing I wanted was on that shelf and not out in the store. Kinda weird. So I go to pay for it. No code to scan on the box, or something. Sigh... So, the checkout girl asked another woman walking by what the code was. She says "yadayadayadayada" and the checkout girls runs it through the computer: fuses, pack of 4. No idea who that lady was she asked, but it was kinda freakish she new, instantly, what the code was for the one thing I wanted that was on a little shelf behind the customer service desk instead of out in the store. At this point, I figure I"m hallucinating or something, but I stagger back home, replace the blown fuse, and fire up my computer, all set for another day of OT posts. Still have the other 3 fuses, moved, circuit breakers now. My kid will probably throw those fuses away when I die. I wonder if he'll even know what they were used for?

I make a point of going back to that store. Mostly young people, lots of tattoos and piercings, but they know their stuff.

David...

Doc Nickel
05-07-2018, 03:04 AM

-To be fair, how long's it been since cars used tubes? Yes, I know there's still plenty of wheelbarrow, yard tractor and hand-truck tires that still use tubes, but you were in an Auto parts store, not a hardware store or agricultural supplier.

Car tires haven't commonly used tubes in 30 years, maybe closer to 40. You might as well have asked for a bottle of teraethyl lead or a set of bias-ply tires.

Hell, my local Wal-Mart has come close to phasing out transmission fluid (nobody changes their own anymore, and many of today's cars don't even have a trans dipstick) and last I saw, only had one can of starting fluid. Not "down TO one can", I mean they had one can, period, with dust on it, and it probably won't be replaced when it sells. That's another thing that virtually no one uses anymore, except on the occasional recalcitrant lawnmower or balky outboard.

Another thing you can't easily find? Standard 5-1/2" round headlights. From the late 40s up through the early 70s, EVERY car either had a single 7" headlight, or a pair of 5-1/2". Ford, GM, Dodge- even Kaiser, Nash, Tucker, you name it. My local O'Reillys keeps less than a half-dozen on hand, behind the counter. The NAPA I think doesn't even carry that many.

And really, why should they? Yes, there's still lots of cars on the road that use them, but at this point they're all collectors' cars, or old beat-up work trucks. Should I expect the local NAPA to keep halfshafts for my '66 Toronado in stock? Olds itself has been gone for a decade and a half, the big old Toronados haven't been made since 1977, and there's virtually none still on the road.

This really does smack of complaining that you can't go to the local General Store and buy buggy whips anymore. :D

Doc.

NiftyNev
05-07-2018, 03:33 AM
Went to an auto parts store here in Australia to buy a Kit to repair a Ford ignition switch. Found out the store sold them in other parts of Australia. After about an hour of searching the guy eventually found the kit in stock, after a lot of discussion about what it was. I was not annoyed at all because he did not know they stocked them, never seen one before and had no knowledge about them. They stock thousands of parts and can't be expected to know about every item in stock. Problem appeared to be the way it was listed on their system.

Mike Burch
05-07-2018, 05:55 AM
I have a dear friend who is, alas, a confirmed misogynist.
Some years ago he went into that bastion of masculinity, a tractor parts shop, and his heart sank when he saw he was going to be served by a woman. Mustering good grace, he told her exactly what part he needed.
Without a moment's hesitation, she looked him straight in the eye, and asked
"Is that the nine-spline model, or the eleven?"
He's still a misogynist, bless him, but he hides it better.

reggie_obe
05-07-2018, 06:41 AM
Don't know either of those by name, but if you'd described them I could tell you which part of the local hardware store the tinnerman clip is in and I can tell you where the radio shack used to have the fahnestock clips. ( I googled them and recognized them immediately.)

But I was not asking for an esoteric tool. I was asking for a basic tool that they did carry. Yes, I do expect capable and competent help. If they are not aware of their stock, they should reply "I don't know" instead of "we don't have that".

Dan

Reamers are not basic tools, screwdrivers, hammers, pliers, saws, files and wrenches are. Yes, they should have replied, "I don't know what that is or what does it do (it's purpose, your need)?"

machinejack
05-07-2018, 09:08 AM
There's a gal Dana that is the manager of our local O'reilly's Auto in Conway,AR she knows her parts. One day I asked how she was so knowledgeable about auto parts. Turns out her father owned a garage when she was growing up her dad taught her a trade. She grew up turning wrenches. There is to much emphasis on that you have to have a degree to be successful in life. If we all wore suits and ties nothing would be built. Some of us have to be the ones in the trenches IMHO.

sasquatch
05-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Gotta give credit here where its due: in town we have a massive Home Hardware store that carries almost anything.(This is a store with stock piled out onto the aisles they have so much.) Anyday you can go in there for some oddball part or fixture, or tool, and any of the staff there, including girls, when asked will lead you right to what your looking for. the most impressive informed staff i've ever seen. A well run multi million dollar operation.

AD5MB
05-07-2018, 09:30 AM
another flip side to the coin: walk into an old school camera shop in Alburquerque. beeline for the tripods. check out the biggest tripod in the place. a young guy ambles over, but an old guy cut him off. "Hi, I'm Mike, I'm the pro salesman here. I can see you're a pro. You need anything, you ask me" and he walked away.

experienced photographers use tripods that can double as engine hoists. experienced photographers don't need to ask a lot of questions, and they don't need newbies who sold lingerie last week to answer them. this is a feature of old school camera shops with a used camera section like a museum, don't expect it at Ritz Camera.

Dan Dubeau
05-07-2018, 09:46 AM
Gotta give credit here where its due: in town we have a massive Home Hardware store that carries almost anything.(This is a store with stock piled out onto the aisles they have so much.) Anyday you can go in there for some oddball part or fixture, or tool, and any of the staff there, including girls, when asked will lead you right to what your looking for. the most impressive informed staff i've ever seen. A well run multi million dollar operation.

I've always found the help in Home Hardware to be head and shoulders above home depot or any of the other box stores here. Could just be my local one (Gilmers in Port Hope), or the corporate culture itself, but i'd much rather spend my money there than anywhere else. The local home depot was at one time staffed with a pile of retired GM guys, who just needed a place to go to "stay busy" and get away from the wives. I've only been in there a handful of times in the last couple years, so I don't know if it's still like that or not, but it was completely ridiculous trying to get help in there. Instant experts, just add topic...... Lowes and Home Hardware earned pretty much all my business because of it.

the professor
05-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Sometime in the distant past,there was a parts counter woman at Morton motors Studebaker in Omaha, Nebraska. Because of a sickness or injury, she was home bound for an extended time. A special phone, maybe a watts line was installed in her home, so she could be available. It was said that she knew every part number for every year and model of Studebaker.

Dragons_fire
05-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Ive had some good and some bad. Home depot always seems to be the worst for me when looking for plumbing parts. A few weeks ago i went in looking for a 3/8" NPT female Tee. The guy there kept trying to get me to take a 1/4" one because its a tee and thats what i needed.

http://junkground.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/FB_IMG_1496025473859.jpg

reggie_obe
05-07-2018, 10:37 AM
Ive had some good and some bad. Home depot always seems to be the worst for me when looking for plumbing parts. A few weeks ago i went in looking for a 3/8" NPT female Tee. The guy there kept trying to get me to take a 1/4" one because its a tee and thats what i needed.

Plumbing and Electrical, two departments where employees can't guess and have to either have had extensive training and or hands-on experience. Did you find the store manager and let him know how pathetically stupid his employee was? Or call or write the corporate customer service people? If you did neither, don't expect things to get better.

Wheels17
05-07-2018, 10:47 AM
I can't believe that this hasn't been posted to this thread yet. Marissa Tomei

https://youtu.be/3nGQLQF1b6I?t=52

Black Forest
05-07-2018, 11:03 AM
When I lived in Texas I was at the local hardware store to get a sink faucet for the shop. This was just after I moved there. The young man helping me was asking me all kinds of questions regarding what I needed. After telling him that I could tell him all I know about plumbing in 10 seconds he then asked me if I had the special wrench to get to the nut up top. So I bought one of them also. This was pretty close to closing time. So I go back to my shop and proceed to TRY to remove the old one and install the new one. I was laying under the sink cussing up a storm when up walks the young man from the hardware store. He said he thought I might need a hand to get the faucet installed and if he could lend a hand! As it turned out he was the owners son. He jumped right in an installed the faucet for me. He wouldn't take a dime for his help. He just told me to remember their store when I needed something else.

Bob La Londe
05-07-2018, 11:29 AM
And then, just two weeks ago on a Friday night, I called one of the local CarQuest auto parts stores. A young woman answered and I asked if she had any remote-mount hydraulic filter bosses. 'Sure, she said, what are the specs?' I told her I'd take anything at this point and make it work, and asked her when they were closing. 'We're closed now' said she, 'but I'll wait for you if you need it tonight'. (We were a 20minute drive away). Then she went to the shelf and began describing what she had, found one that sounded promising and she did, indeed wait until it could be picked up. Great attitude, great aptitude and outstanding service.

It meant a lot to me, not only because it got the delivery truck in service in time for a big delivery next morning, but also because I sold NAPA auto parts for many years and we took pride in knowing what we were talking about and in going the extra mile. It wasn't uncommon for one of us to open up after hours for a small but urgent-to-the-customer sale.

RANT MODE ON

There are a few good old counter guys (one I know works at a Napa store, but I knew him nearly 40 years ago at Valley Auto). Most people working the counter in a knowledge oriented business are just time servers. Really. Its not a career so they don't care. Yesterday I went looking for some lug bolts and a wheel seal for a boat trailer axle. Freaking lug bolts. I hit several auto parts stores and I'm afraid my frustration showed at one when I said out loud every time I buy what I need on-line think of it as another retail job lost. Most places they looked at me like I was asking them to spend their day pealing their skin off with tweezers because I could not tell them the make and model of the "car" they were for.

When I was growing up we had a country hardware store and a country grocery general store side by side. My dad had the attitude that if he didn't have what a local farmer needed we would lose more than just the sale of that grade 2 field bolt he wanted for a PTO shear pin. The farmer would drive to town to get it, and while he was there he would buy his groceries, the new stove his wife wanted, and that new rifle he had been lusting after. We had a lot of stuff. My dad also made twice weekly town runs and picked up stuff for local farmers and businesses so they wouldn't have to. We had measuring tools on the counter, and if somebody brought something in that they weren't sure of we would measure it and try to figure it out. Autopart, bolt, plumbing fitting, whatever. I guess I got spoiled growing up seeing what real customer service looked like. It just frustrates the living piss out of me to drive all over town looking for something that I know where it used to be on the shelf in our old hardware store.

Anyway, I was at an Autozone of all places, and not one, but two guys actually went out of their way to try and find the seal I needed. They looked up crossovers online and even found a seal on the shelf that almost met the same spec (except the seal I need is a double lip seal, and the one they found was a single lip seal.) They tried their best to cross over the bolt, but I had to tell them everything about it. Still they tried. It was better than any other store I checked. While they don't have the knowledge or the skills of the old counter men they atleast had the right attitude. I'll go back there. I needed a new grease gun so I bought it there even though they didn't have the parts I needed. They showed the initiative to really try. I figure I can kick in a few bucks to try to keep those guys employed.

In the end I bought my seals off Fleaby (5 bucks delivered for 2) and the lug bolts (11 bucks for a bag of 10) and a 25ct bag of new lugnuts from MSC. Same Dorman products as the local auto parts stores. I would have gladly paid more for less to just be able to get what I needed in a local store yesterday when I needed it. Heck I could have bought the grease gun at MSC too. It would have saved hours of my time.

Sort of a tangent. In college It used to drive me to frustration that all the business instructors seemed to teach turn rate is more important than the ten commandments. If you can't guarantee a certain turn rate for a product STOP SELLING IT PERIOD. They would teach a sort of graduated scale if your turn rate is lower stock fewer to keep your turn rate up or raise the price so your profit margin justifies it but basically if you aren't cranking out so many units you don't need the customer who was buying it anyway. Dump the product and sell them something else.

Ever added words to narrow a search on a hardware store website and have the results jump from 500 to 10,000? They don't have what you want, but they know you are shopping so they are trying to distract you with other things and get your money anyway.

If I am planning a project I rarely buy fittings from Home Depot anymore for example. As a result I don't buy most of the other stuff from them either. When Home Depot first came to town thy had a pretty good selection, but they succeeded in driving three other stores that I know of out of business. Then they started cutting down their selection and their stock numbers. Sure I can go there and buy 4 over priced fittings to do the job of one, but unless people are going to die if I don't fix it today I won't. I actually had a store manager try to argue that it was still a better deal buy from them because I didn't have to pay shipping. Really? I can buy one 3 dollar part, and have it shipped over night for less than the 4 $7 parts I need to buy from them to do the same job. How is that better?

Retail is killing themselves and college business professors are part of the problem.

As a tangent from the tangent. I must look like I know what I am doing because I get asked all the time by people in stores if I will help them. I know from experience the people in the store often won't... or can't.

RANT OVER. LOL.

Wheels17
05-07-2018, 12:39 PM
That same "if it doesn't move, get rid of it" attitude is prevalent in industry as well. I worked in a massive facility with a superb parts system, until the bean counters got wind of it for imaginary savings. We had machines that would cost thousands of dollars an hour of downtime. They had group had 6 rollers that drove the product. They used 12 very special bearings which we stocked with a minimum of 12 in stock, automatically reorder when below 12. Some bean counter, not knowing anything, changed it to order 6 when we got below 12, believing he was saving money. We had the inevitable bearing failure, went to the stockroom and found 11 bearings on the shelf. Two extra days downtime, air freight to get the new bearings in, and a return to 12 & 12.

I got curious about what happened to the one bearing. It turns out that a pipe fitter had entered the wrong number into the system, and the bearing was delivered to him. Based on personal experience with bearings, and the bean counters propaganda that returning something to stock cost much more than his perceived value of the bearing, he threw it in the trash to save money...

Bob La Londe
05-07-2018, 01:17 PM
That same "if it doesn't move, get rid of it" attitude is prevalent in industry as well. I worked in a massive facility with a superb parts system, until the bean counters got wind of it for imaginary savings. We had machines that would cost thousands of dollars an hour of downtime. They had group had 6 rollers that drove the product. They used 12 very special bearings which we stocked with a minimum of 12 in stock, automatically reorder when below 12. Some bean counter, not knowing anything, changed it to order 6 when we got below 12, believing he was saving money. We had the inevitable bearing failure, went to the stockroom and found 11 bearings on the shelf. Two extra days downtime, air freight to get the new bearings in, and a return to 12 & 12.

I got curious about what happened to the one bearing. It turns out that a pipe fitter had entered the wrong number into the system, and the bearing was delivered to him. Based on personal experience with bearings, and the bean counters propaganda that returning something to stock cost much more than his perceived value of the bearing, he threw it in the trash to save money...

An alternative is to make spares a part of the machine instead of part of the inventory and report the machine as running below optimum if spares are not present. As a sort of parallel. I keep spare spindle bearings for my big mill (and some other parts for that machine) inside the lower control cabinet.

epicfail48
05-07-2018, 02:01 PM
Back in the 'good old days' you could work a summer job for minimum wage, 20 hours a week and pay your tuition at Yale. Fast forward to the present and you can work 60 hour weeks in retail (which is minimum wage at best, anything above is usually management) and still come up short on rent.

I'd love to see some of the people complaining about retail workers actually work retail for a bit. There's a few thousand to few hundred thousand products on the shelf, do you really think anybody should know exactly where every one is, how many they have and what the use is? How are people supposed to learn this stuff? On the job, while the managers are breathing down their necks to get them to meet a sales quota for credit cards? At their second job they have to work to pay the rent? Or are they supposed to spend the 20 minutes a day they have in down time researching every possible thing a store can sell, just so they can kowtow to some guy who looks at them the same way they would a dog that just peed on the carpet?

Really funny part of these sort of rants is everything that gets complained about, i.e poorly trained staff, limited selection, overdependence on computers, focus on profit margins over consumer satisfaction, non of that is caused by the clerks. Blame upper management for that, which ironically is usually filled with people who lived in the 'good old days'

flylo
05-07-2018, 02:21 PM
20% of the items make up 80% of the sales. So the new trend is to stock the 20% which sucks when you're doing plumbing, electrical & most anything. Also if your good at sales it's assumed you'll be great in management which isn't usually so. Bottom line is the best people should have direct contact with the customer from the sales person to the loader or truck driver & if you don't have a product get on the phone & have it waiting on them at a counter somewhere. Everyone has basically the same stuff so all you have to sell in retail is service. As the customer has plenty of other places to buy.

michigan doug
05-07-2018, 02:25 PM
I had to patch a hole in a the wall at my mother-in-law's house. I needed some 1 1/2" styrofoam, the beaded kind, not the extruded kind. I trot down to the local supplier (She lives in Ontario Canada) and the store clerk politely informs me they don't carry stryofoam insulation board any more. That seems impossible to me, so I ask again, "No white bead board?" Yup!

Eventually, he says he has some green poly-foam product, and the price isn't terrible. When I make it out to the yard with my ticket, there the beadboard styrofoam, with a light green tint painted on, along with the new name. Ain't rebranding great? Literal green washing. Oh yeah, and they tried to give the 2", not the 1 1/2". 2" wouldn't fit.

Bob La Londe
05-07-2018, 03:26 PM
Back in the 'good old days' you could work a summer job for minimum wage, 20 hours a week and pay your tuition at Yale. Fast forward to the present and you can work 60 hour weeks in retail (which is minimum wage at best, anything above is usually management) and still come up short on rent.

I'd love to see some of the people complaining about retail workers actually work retail for a bit. There's a few thousand to few hundred thousand products on the shelf, do you really think anybody should know exactly where every one is, how many they have and what the use is? How are people supposed to learn this stuff? On the job, while the managers are breathing down their necks to get them to meet a sales quota for credit cards? At their second job they have to work to pay the rent? Or are they supposed to spend the 20 minutes a day they have in down time researching every possible thing a store can sell, just so they can kowtow to some guy who looks at them the same way they would a dog that just peed on the carpet?

Really funny part of these sort of rants is everything that gets complained about, i.e poorly trained staff, limited selection, overdependence on computers, focus on profit margins over consumer satisfaction, non of that is caused by the clerks. Blame upper management for that, which ironically is usually filled with people who lived in the 'good old days'

Interesting, so the summers I spent working the packing sheds in the grape vineyards, or the summers I spent cutting weeds in the cotton, or the winters I spent as a press operator in a cotton gin or the time I spent as a shipping and receiving clerk in a tool store aren't enough to meet your standard of judgement? To be fair I never ever worked for minimum wage. I never had a problem finding a job either. Now admittedly as a business owner I have worked for a hell of a lot less than minimum wage and did it overtime so I could afford to pay wage laborers a hell of a lot more than minimum wage whether they did their damned job or not.

If you agreed to do the job for a specific wage then do the job. If you accepted the job for the offered wage and then don't do the job you are a thief.

The FACT is there ARE people working as counter clerks who do their job and try to do it to the best of their ability. I even credited a couple of them in my own rant.

Mcgyver
05-07-2018, 03:59 PM

Blame the consumer, ultimately. If the consumer valued service and product knowledge over price, none of us would have heard of Walmart.

While a part of me laments the better parts of the good old days, the reality is if you're letting this piss you off, you're looking for reasons to be in a negative frame of mind. It is what it is, as the cliche goes, life's too short is another apropos cliche

J Tiers
05-07-2018, 04:12 PM

While a part of me laments the better parts of the good old days, the reality is if you're letting this piss you off, you're looking for reasons to be in a negative frame of mind. It is what it is, as the cliche goes, life's too short is another apropos cliche

Sort-of.... When it bites you in the a$$ several times, the attitude changes from tolerance to %$#@!

We have Lowes, Manards, and Home Depot. HD has the worst plumbing ever. They may have a part shaped like what you want, but it often will not fit, or the two parts of it do not even fit together. Lowes is a bit better, but may not HAVE the item.

Menards I dunno about, I avoid going there. The store is too big, and often two things that seem very related are actually at the two extreme opposite ends of the place. They need internal rapid transit n those stores.

Mcgyver
05-07-2018, 04:40 PM
Sort-of.... When it bites you in the a$$ several times, the attitude changes from tolerance to %$#@!

before that happens invoke the serenity prayer. I could be angry at stuff all day long (and sometimes am if I don't keep it in check) but it only hurts one person. This is a nothing that is just part of living in the modern world, there are more important things to let your head explode over

danlb
05-07-2018, 05:02 PM
The odd thing about the big box stores is that they often have the same suppliers. Not everything, but a lot of it. In some cases the vendor does the restocking too. Sadly, it's when you do inventory and stocking shelves that you really learn where everything is.

I've noted the same trend in the smaller hardware stores too. The new ACE and True Value often have very similar products from the same vendors. The old mom and pop stores often had NOS (new old stock) from several decades ago, but ours have all given way to chains.

On the subject of the big hardware stores that spread out the stock; I am used to going to HD or Lowes and spending an hour going from dept to dept to dept at the direction of well meaning employees who make guesses about where things are. I just chalk it up as part of my exercise program. :) It is not helped by the fact that both Lowes and HD have several different layouts in each town.

Dan

Bob La Londe
05-07-2018, 05:12 PM
The odd thing about the big box stores is that they often have the same suppliers. Not everything, but a lot of it. In some cases the vendor does the restocking too. Sadly, it's when you do inventory and stocking shelves that you really learn where everything is.

I've noted the same trend in the smaller hardware stores too. The new ACE and True Value often have very similar products from the same vendors. The old mom and pop stores often had NOS (new old stock) from several decades ago, but ours have all given way to chains.

On the subject of the big hardware stores that spread out the stock; I am used to going to HD or Lowes and spending an hour going from dept to dept to dept at the direction of well meaning employees who make guesses about where things are. I just chalk it up as part of my exercise program. :) It is not helped by the fact that both Lowes and HD have several different layouts in each town.

Dan

When I have to go to Lowes or Home Depot I'll look up as much as possible on-line and get the aisle and bay numbers for where it is supposed to be first. Both of those local stores are about 98% accurate as to location. It saves me a lot of time.

3 Phase Lightbulb
05-07-2018, 05:24 PM
When I have to go to Lowes or Home Depot I'll look up as much as possible on-line and get the aisle and bay numbers for where it is supposed to be first. Both of those local stores are about 98% accurate as to location. It saves me a lot of time.

Around here, if I need a lot of stuff at Home Depot, I just order it online and "pickup in store". They email you when your order is ready to be picked up at the Pro Desk/Service desk. Much easier than running around trying to find everything. The problem is, I often don't realize I need other things unless I see them so I sometimes have to think extra hard if I'm planning on getting absolutely everything i need the first try. I usually don't do this for wood or anything that you want to "pick" the best from.

Bob La Londe
05-07-2018, 05:48 PM
Around here, if I need a lot of stuff at Home Depot, I just order it online and "pickup in store". They email you when your order is ready to be picked up at the Pro Desk/Service desk. Much easier than running around trying to find everything. The problem is, I often don't realize I need other things unless I see them so I sometimes have to think extra hard if I'm planning on getting absolutely everything i need the first try. I usually don't do this for wood or anything that you want to "pick" the best from.

And never have it delivered either. If they pick the wood you get all the worst. Sadly I know first hand.

3 Phase Lightbulb
05-07-2018, 06:51 PM
And never have it delivered either. If they pick the wood you get all the worst. Sadly I know first hand.

Sometimes it's better if you have it delivered, especially if it's a large quantity because it will come right from their supplier or from a warehouse that their supplier just delivered to. Not from inside of the store where they get gnawed and chewed up on by everyone. The best 2x4's I've ever had was when I ordered a large amount and they delivered it by truck. I forgot exactly how many but it was delivered as one fully strapped bundle, and about 2/3 of another bundle that looked like they cut the straps just to remove the 1/3 from it. When I grab 2x4s from their racks inside the store it's always hit and miss. Most of them are propellers by the time you need them.

brian Rupnow
05-07-2018, 07:10 PM
I used to live in a very small village called Hillsdale. It was about 15 miles out of Barrie, but there was a small town called Elmvale about 5 miles in the opposite direction that had a hardware store. (Can't remember what brand). I never, ever, needed just one of something. So, being a natural optimist, I would drive to Elmvale. It always happened that "We have only one of those in stock, but we'll be getting more in next week." It never failed!!! Then I would have to drive into Barrie to get the quantity I wanted. I lived in Hillsdale for about six years, and it seemed to happen every time I needed something on a Saturday. It wasn't a huge problem. I drove to work in Barrie every week-day, and could always pick whatever I needed up at a Barrie hardware store, but woe betide me if it was a Saturday that I need something.

garyhlucas
05-07-2018, 08:47 PM
I hate Home Depot and I would bet I’ve been in them a lot more than most of you here. I’ve started up waste treatment plants all over the US and I know where the /,: !? Home Depot is near every one of them. However I am extremely lucky. McMaster Carrs warehouse and will call is less than five miles away! I have read the McMaster catalog front to back at least five times when a new one came out. Looking for new stuff that I can get from them along with the other 1000 parts we buy.

I have often thought that I’d be the ultimate Home Depot guy. I have done literally every kind of job you could buy materials for in Home Depot, and a whole lot more.

J Tiers
05-07-2018, 10:21 PM
before that happens invoke the serenity prayer. I could be angry at stuff all day long (and sometimes am if I don't keep it in check) but it only hurts one person. This is a nothing that is just part of living in the modern world, there are more important things to let your head explode over

There is nothing that relaxes a person better than cussing out whatever it is that is bugging you. "Serenity" stuff is just fine, but in practice, many find it is really just bottling up what is designed to be expressed.

There was I guy I worked with (indirectly) who was famous for being totally calm in the face of any provocation whatever. He was in customer service, and I supposed that was a useful trait. One fine day, I saw him absolutely lose it over something that I no longer remember, something small that would not bother me.

That pretty much proved to me that there just is almost nobody, and that includes you, who does not need to get that anger out of them, even if they THINK they never get angry. Anger is built into people, and men in particular, it is a survival system, and is based at a really low level, not easily avoided.

Having seen this confirmed with other "totally unflappable" people, I have become pretty sure that anyone who says can actually avoid anger and needs no release mechanism is either full of BS, or has simply bottled it up. "Keeping it in check" is unhealthy, unless you just mean avoiding beating the tar out of the culprit, which is obviously a good plan in most situations.

Better to admit the anger, and find a suitable release mechanism.

DATo
05-08-2018, 05:28 AM
I can't believe that this hasn't been posted to this thread yet. Marissa Tomei

https://youtu.be/3nGQLQF1b6I?t=52

Not to diverge from the original topic, but I couldn't resist posting this clip. She won the Academy Award for best supporting actress and I think it was the scene below which nailed it for her.

From the same movie. One of my favorite scenes in all of cinema!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsS2nsLlp-U

By the way, in reference to your original post ..... I have more than once come across female workers in male dominated jobs who were better at what they did than most of their male counterparts I have come across.

Puckdropper
05-08-2018, 05:37 AM
My local Menards has a fantastic plumbing department. It's not so much the parts they stock, but the guys who work there. One guy has obviously done tons of plumbing projects himself and the manager is no slouch either. When I showed the manager the photograph of the part I needed, he told me what it was, showed me their stock, and also gave me some very useful information about soldering that piece.

Bob La Londe
05-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Not to diverge from the original topic, but I couldn't resist posting this clip. She won the Academy Award for best supporting actress and I think it was the scene below which nailed it for her.

From the same movie. One of my favorite scenes in all of cinema!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsS2nsLlp-U

By the way, in reference to your original post ..... I have more than once come across female workers in male dominated jobs who were better at what they did than most of their male counterparts I have come across.

There is a lady at one of the local O'Reilly stores who is quite good. She knows her stuff. She's been there since it was a Checker store, and I think she was one of the original employees when it opened in that location. I rarely see her on the counter anymore though. I think she is the store manager now, although I have never asked. I remember once I was looking for some gas springs some 20 years ago, and she said come here and dragged me in the back of the store and pointed to a rack of them. Then she proceeded to help me find springs the right length and travel and check them for approximate spring force. I left with exactly what I needed that day. I don't know if she is a great manager, because her store is one of those I walked out of unhappy the other day, but she is a fantastic and knowledgeable counter person. (She wasn't there.)

There was also another lady who worked in autoparts in the area who seemed to get great joy in listening for anything wrong in your description so she could give you the wrong parts. No kidding. I stood there and watched her do it to guys in two different auto parts stores a couple years apart. I think it was some sort of passive aggressive thing to prove she was superior to men. I have not seen her working in an auto parts store in the area for some time now, but I don't go in all the stores in town either. I know if you acted stupid and humble and subservient she would get you exactly what you needed. She was obviously very knowledgeable, but still not a good counter person.

Woman can be very good at their jobs, just like men can be stupid and petty and lazy. Being a good counter person or even a good manager is certainly not sex based.

Mcgyver
05-08-2018, 11:57 AM
There is nothing that relaxes a person better than cussing out whatever it is that is bugging you. .

That maybe that's MO or your issue, but don't extend it to others. The key is controlling your brain so you get to decide what makes you angry. Most of the time its complete waste of energy and negative at that. We all succumb form time to time perhaps, but its a character flaw letting it happen.

If a store clerks ineptitude makes you angry, that's your issue and really only negatively affects you. Life would be better if you could learn how to avoid letting that upset up - i.e. don't an inept clerk control your emotions.

Bob La Londe
05-08-2018, 12:05 PM
That maybe that's MO or your issue, but don't extend it to others. The key is controlling your brain so you get to decide what makes you angry. Most of the time its complete waste of energy and negative at that. We all succumb form time to time perhaps, but its a character flaw letting it happen.

If a store clerks ineptitude makes you angry, that's your issue and really only negatively affects you. Life would be better if you could learn how to avoid letting that upset up - i.e. don't an inept clerk control your emotions.

Jus like we shouldn't let your degrading and egocentric opinion about how other people are or should be upset us either? LOL. That was pretty funny. Took me a moment to see the humor in it though.

Mcgyver
05-08-2018, 12:29 PM
wasn't meaning to be degrading, just saying if you're letting store clerk ineptitude wreck your day, its a decision you make to let that happen that really only hurts you. Not that i'm immune from it, but its my rational response to it bothering one so much they feel the need to post about it. You can get upset about anything you chose to, but who does that negatively affect?

danlb
05-08-2018, 01:03 PM
wasn't meaning to be degrading, just saying if you're letting store clerk ineptitude wreck your day, its a decision you make to let that happen that really only hurts you. Not that i'm immune from it, but its my rational response to it bothering one so much they feel the need to post about it. You can get upset about anything you chose to, but who does that negatively affect?

Many of the experts will echo Mcgyver's opinion. A stress management councilor once shared that your degree of stress is largely controlled by the fights, arguments and frustrations that you expect to happen. Your body goes into "flight or fight mode" even if the anticipated conflict does not happen. Expecting a bad day will often cause that bad day to happen.

In short; the experts say that you will lead a happier life if you stop yourself from stewing over things that are inconsequential or out of your control. There is wisdom in the concept behind the Serenity Prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Dan
P.S. Occasionally I will get sucked into an argument with another curmudgeon. I offer my apologies to the innocent bystanders. I'm really trying! :)

MikeWI
05-08-2018, 02:07 PM
My trouble is I was trained all wrong when I worked at a home center 30 years ago. We were expected to know what we where talking about, and in my dept.s case ( I managed hardware, auto, plumbing and housewares) everytime we got a new product, or tool in the door, we spent an hour or two going over it with everyone so we understood it. We even used to show people how to sweat pipe. On top of this we called customers "sir" or "ma'am" not, "buddy", or "hon" or whatever.

These days you never see that. I embarrass my wife every time someone asks to help me at a store because I'll usually answer "probably not". Every time I let them try, all the salesperson can do is read the box to me, or is full of dis-information from his/her store training.

Lew Hartswick
05-08-2018, 02:56 PM
These days you never see that. I embarrass my wife every time someone asks to help me at a store because I'll usually answer "probably not". Every time I let them try, all the salesperson can do is read the box to me, or is full of dis-information from his/her store training.
Maybe the appropriate answer is "Only if you know more about it than what is printed on the box" . :-) I'll have to try and remember that. :-)
...lew...

PStechPaul
05-08-2018, 03:08 PM
I rarely let problems bother me, and I really never find it necessary to curse or yell. Until about 8 years ago I played volleyball regularly, and that helped to relieve stress. Hitting a ball and being involved in fair competition seems to be good "therapy", as is physical exercise in general. I do get a bit angry when I get involved in certain discussions (prohibited here), especially when someone uses "alternative facts" to "prove" their point, but I have found the other person tends to be the first to start ranting and raving and shouting. I suppose it frustrates me because their opinions indirectly have a large negative impact on me, and many others I care about, when enacted as public policy. But the usual frustrations and disappointment in daily life are just part of the challenges of living, and I agree that it is often the attitude that things will go wrong creates stress even before the fact, and may even cause things to go badly.

J Tiers
05-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Many of the experts will echo Mcgyver's opinion. A stress management councilor once shared that your degree of stress is largely controlled by the fights, arguments and frustrations that you expect to happen. Your body goes into "flight or fight mode" even if the anticipated conflict does not happen. Expecting a bad day will often cause that bad day to happen.

In short; the experts say that you will lead a happier life if you stop yourself from stewing over things that are inconsequential or out of your control. There is wisdom in the concept behind the Serenity Prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Dan
P.S. Occasionally I will get sucked into an argument with another curmudgeon. I offer my apologies to the innocent bystanders. I'm really trying! :)

Well, since we ARE arguing.....

People are MADE SO THAT THEY GET ANGRY. You CANNOT stuff that under the carpet. It's great to have the peaceful attitude, and let people like McGyver tell you how bad it is if you let anger show, or ever express it... how that makes you ill and so forth. How you are not "fully evolved"...

And they never forget to lay it all on you, making it all YOUR fault, saying how "you let that make you angry".

That is actually TOTAL BS. "Experts" or not. "Experts" told us how bad coffee (and other stuff) was... NOW "experts" say it ain't so.

Getting angry is something that is built in as a survival tool. if you get angry, it is because of something negative that occurs, most of which were not good for you way back when. Getting angry gives you the strength to overpower whatever thing, critter, or enemy is affecting you negatively.

OK, so you ARE going to get angry. Truth of the matter is that you CANNOT "hold in your anger" and stay healthy. You are not MADE that way.

So, you need to let it out of you, in some manner. You can cuss at whatever it is, you can do something else. But you have to have a method.

It will be YOUR method. MY method may not work for YOU, and demanding that someone else use what works for YOU is foolish, it is also both damaging, and condescending to the other person.

if McGyver can say a little saying and get rid of it, so much the better. YOU may not work that way, and for him to demand that you, or I, do what he does, is wrong-headed.

Say a little homily, cuss, whatever it takes that is preferably not damaging to your own interests. I know pwople who do very delicate work. When they have things go wrong, they have limited options, so most of them just cuss a blue streak to get rid of the negative energy. Then they can start again and have no stress that affects their work.

back to the topic....

Yes, it's all very well to just accept the stupid clerk as a normal thing.... but it is different when it bites you repeatedly, damaging your own interests.... Go elsewhere, never darken their door again... or let the company know. Your choice.

If I am not very mad at them, I let them know, but if they really messed me over, I do not tell them, I let them go on driving away customers, and I stop shopping there. That usually does the job for me, and for them? I could not care less.

Bob La Londe
05-08-2018, 04:07 PM
So why is it that some who say its a, "character flaw," have gone on about it?

I've been declared to be a flawed character so one could understand if I kept harping about it, but those who imply themselves to be less flawed baffle me on this subject. Does it bother them that much that they must continue to post about it? Wait, if they should just let it go... but then... nevermind. LOL

I didn't post to troll the group, and I'll try to restrain myself, but that was f-------g hysterical.

danlb
05-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Here are some techniques to help deal with the store clerks who are suffering from a lack of knowledge of their chosen field.

1) If the subject in question is one that you are trained in, then use it as a teaching opportunity. This not only helps the clerk but it helps the next guy.

B) If it's an item that they say does not exist but that you eventually locate, then again it's a teaching opportunity. Bring the can of "dark sulfur cutting oil" to the clerk, explain where you found it and explain why it's used when tapping holes, turning metal on a lathe or using a bandsaw.

III) if the clerk is really dumber than dirt, lazy, or rude, then talk to the manager. Explain what remedial training is needed. It feels good to pass along a complement when you stumble upon a really good clerk too.

Four) If the clerk is angry and argumentive, just move on. He/she was that way before you got there, and no reason to think that either of you will have a better day because of the interaction.

Dan

wombat2go
05-08-2018, 04:44 PM
Around here in the stores, apart from the greeter the aisles are largely deserted with the occasional bloke loading shelves.
Then the cashiers are all closed so i have to use the auto checkout.
About 1/3 times i have drama scanning and have to wait for the attendant to finish on another person's grumbles.
One time I just left the stuff on the scanner and walked out.

rwilliams
05-08-2018, 06:19 PM
"Here are some techniques to help deal with the store clerks who are suffering from a lack of knowledge of their chosen field"

Dan

That was a great post, a good approach to life.

Bob

J Tiers
05-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Eh... frankly I have other stuff to do. A client finally got back to me just now about the next steps on his project.

But...

I don't try to educate the clerk.... only if they are nice, and they seem to want to learn, then if I have time, sure.

If they do have it, I have told them.... the usual response is a grunt.... I sorta don't fool with it any more unless I happen to see the person and feel like it.

I have mentioned very good folks.... got told "don't do that, please" a few times. The manager did not want employees wasting time being nice.... it was actually a mark AGAINST them.... which I had trouble understanding, but now I don't mention it. If the clerk is clueless, I mentioned it once, did no good, I no longer bother, vote with my feet.

For nasty clerks I vote with my feet. Once I did report the person, for a really bad occurrence, the clerk resurfaced at another store I went to, same chain, but..... That I'd do again. The incident was rather offensive behavior and talk from clerk. I emailed corporate about that one.

Mcgyver
05-08-2018, 07:10 PM

I've been declared to be a flawed character so one could understand if I kept harping about it, but those who imply themselves to be less flawed baffle me on this subject. Does it bother them that much that they must continue to post about it? Wait, if they should just let it go... but then... nevermind. LOL

I didn't post to troll the group, and I'll try to restrain myself, but that was f-------g hysterical.

I don't understand your position. It think it is a flaw letting little things upset you. I also said I'm not immune to it so didn't place myself above it, merely pointing out the rational approach is to realize you have a choice about getting upset or not, and when you do its you that it hurts. Do you want to spend your life angry and upset or not? The outside world could care less, it only hurts the one who chooses to be upset by unimportant things.

You may agree or disagree with that, but what do you see egocentric or degrading about it?

MikeWI
05-08-2018, 07:26 PM
If I am not very mad at them, I let them know, but if they really messed me over, I do not tell them, I let them go on driving away customers, and I stop shopping there. That usually does the job for me, and for them? I could not care less.

That store I worked at called that "the customer that never comes back". You'll never know you pissed them off, or did something wrong, but they know, and they won't forget. I mean, I hated that company (family run, lots of issues) but man, they understood service.

edit: and BTW, I do the same thing. If they let things get to the point where I'll walk out, it's more than likely too late for a complaint to make any difference any way.

RB211
05-08-2018, 07:39 PM
I find store clerks to be as helpful as the help icon on a cheap piece of software.

https://coub.com/view/1wt1r1se

Bob La Londe
05-08-2018, 07:56 PM
I don't understand your position. It think it is a flaw letting little things upset you. I also said I'm not immune to it so didn't place myself above it, merely pointing out the ration approach is to realize you have a choice about getting upset or not, and when you do its you that it hurts. Do you want to spend your life angry and upset or not? The outside world could care less, it only hurts the one who chooses to be upset by unimportant things.

You may agree or disagree with that, but what do you see egocentric or degrading about it?

http://tacklemaker.info/gallery/1_08_05_18_9_07_39.gif

Mcgyver
05-08-2018, 08:00 PM
http://tacklemaker.info/gallery/1_08_05_18_9_07_39.gif

glad to have brightened your day

3 Phase Lightbulb
05-08-2018, 08:24 PM
This looks like a fun job. Really fun. I bet these guys get all excited when those brain dead Somali's come-a-knock'n :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpNpDM-enLw

ulav8r
05-08-2018, 11:38 PM
There's a gal Dana that is the manager of our local O'reilly's Auto in Conway,AR she knows her parts. One day I asked how she was so knowledgeable about auto parts. Turns out her father owned a garage when she was growing up her dad taught her a trade. She grew up turning wrenches. There is to much emphasis on that you have to have a degree to be successful in life. If we all wore suits and ties nothing would be built. Some of us have to be the ones in the trenches IMHO.
Yeah, but you no longer have Massey Hardware. Sure do miss them.

enginuity
05-08-2018, 11:50 PM
I had someone once tell me that you shouldn't let people "rent space" in your life.

Dwelling on certain individuals in anger, whether that be politicians, friends, parents, the store room clerk, a salesman, or a millennial (I couldn't resist) is renting space in your head. I've found his advice to be very helpful as I'm personally prone to negativity. The time I waste in anger could certainly been spent being more productive. I should be supporting my kids, fixing a problem, or at the very least machining something in the shop :).

As far as finding good help - if you don't realize there is going to be a labour shortage in the next 10 years - well news flash - the largest group of the population is set to retire. There simply isn't enough younger folk to go around. That and as a society we have put the garbage man significantly lower than our local politician.

To be quite honest every year our local garbage man gets a Christmas present from our house. Our local politician? Well that gets donated to a local charity.