PDA

View Full Version : Three hours looking for the saw. Two minutes to make the cut.

1-800miner
05-06-2018, 09:01 PM
My day at a glance.

Ohio Mike
05-06-2018, 09:27 PM
Been there done that.

EddyCurr
05-06-2018, 09:28 PM
So, did you put the saw away where it belongs after this job so you can find it for the next one?

Not having a dedicated spot and or making time to put tools away in their dedicated spot is what has led to similar experiences for me in the past. The best of members here have displayed jaw-dropping storage arrangements that encourage putting tools away, their methods serve as inspiration to the rest of us.

softtail
05-06-2018, 09:31 PM
You're ahead of me.. at least you found it.

Mcgyver
05-06-2018, 09:32 PM
at least you found it. A bad day is heading out to buy a new one only to return and not remember what needed cutting

darryl
05-06-2018, 10:29 PM
Yeah, been there. Seems also that you spend hours making up a jig to do an operation in minutes or even seconds. The result usually puts a smile on your face considering that you've just made something to solve a problem, and it works- perhaps very well and quickly. Been there a lot of times.

A few weeks ago I was lost in the usual sea of ideas and ways of bringing them to reality- preoccupied and looking for my glasses I took them off my face and put them down so I could go and look for them. I caught that pretty quickly. Far too often I'll put something down where I 'know' I'll find it again- then I can't find it. Much of the time though I'm amazed at how I can recall where something is and go directly there and actually find it.

lakeside53
05-06-2018, 10:43 PM
Yesterday I spent 10 minutes looking for my phone so i could take a picture and send it the guy I was talking to... on it :confused:

EddyCurr
05-06-2018, 10:46 PM
Much of the time though I'm amazed at how I can recall where something is and go directly there and actually find it.In my opinion, IOHS (Inherent Object Homing Skill) is an essential characteristic.

Its importance is inversely related to one's tendency towards order & organization. Without strong IOHS, those who work in chaotic circumstances (by nature or necessity) do not stand a chance.

Pro tip. Never announce your amazement to onlookers - leave them to marvel at how you 'have a system' that lets you put your hands on any object at any time, no matter the apparent disorganization. Especially spouses ...

Fasttrack
05-06-2018, 11:34 PM
at least you found it. A bad day is heading out to buy a new one only to return and not remember what needed cutting

Haven't had that happen yet. Usually, I buy a new one, use it and the next day I find the one I was looking for in the first place. I have more duplicates than I care to admit... I figure, eventually, I will have so many of each type of tool, I can't possible misplace them! :D

Mr Fixit
05-06-2018, 11:49 PM
I too have had this problem as you and others describe. The glasses that you can't fine only to learn they are on top of my head. The lost tool you give up and by a new one and then when done say OK where will I put this so I don't loose it for next time, and guess what it's the same place that I put the first one. So My son now has a couple of tools that he may or may not use but 2 was not in the cards with the storage that I have.
Wife did the can't find the cell phone while talking to her mother on it about where it might be.

TX
Mr fixit for the family
Chris :)

1-800miner
05-07-2018, 12:17 AM
[QUOTE=EddyCurr;1175378]In my opinion, IOHS (Inherent Object Homing Skill) is an essential characteristic.

I don't IOHS. I have ADOS Attention deficit......Oh!.... Shiny!

fixerdave
05-07-2018, 12:46 AM
...The lost tool you give up and by a new one and then when done say OK where will I put this so I don't loose it for next time, and guess what it's the same place that I put the first one...

Done that so many times I'm starting to figure it's the best way to find something. No idea why I can't figure out "the best place to put it" when I don't have one in my hand. But, as soon as I have one, I know the spot where it should go, and there's the one I couldn't find.

David...

NiftyNev
05-07-2018, 02:52 AM
Stop looking for what you need and look for something else. You will find the original item then. Works for me. Now, where's the computer so I can send this message.

Beazld
05-07-2018, 05:49 AM
My older brother had an imaginary friend named Stevie. Whenever something happened that my brother couldn’t explain he said “Stevie did it”. Like when my mom asked “who broke this?” Or “what happened to that?”, Stevie was blamed. When my brother died in 2003, that little b@stard Stevie moved into my basement shop and has been moving my stuff around ever since!

Abner
05-07-2018, 09:13 AM
The only solution I have been able to discover is to put things back, when I remember to do it this works really well, unless putting things back is not where they normally are then I can't find those items either.

machinejack
05-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Got the same problem it's so frustrating I set something down in the shop with the intentions of finishing it later. Will spend way to much time looking for it and then find it hiding in plane sight. I now have a special place that I sit stuff on even that does't always work.

AD5MB
05-07-2018, 09:43 AM
you can talk all you want about a place for everything et cetera, but you can't change the fact that my house has currents. you put something down right there, next time you look for it, it's three feet away. pay attention to both position and altitude when you find it. it may be in the low counterclockwise current, the undulating altitude zigzag on the south wall current, the "how the cluck did it get in the truck" current...

I hear the currents work at night. I do not get up. I do not turn on the light. I do not want to be the subject of "he was never the same after that"

1-800miner
05-07-2018, 09:55 AM
In high school I and other kids worked evenings at my uncles sawmill packing the product.
One kid was a little slow upstairs. We others would wait until he set his gloves down and move them, even if ever so slightly or more, without him seeing.
He never caught on to us, but thought he was going crazy.
I can still remember the looks he would give those moved gloves.

Seastar
05-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Two hours to find the saw, twenty minutes to remember why I was looking for it, twenty minutes to make the three cuts to get it correct, two minutes to but a band-aid on the cut finger, ten minutes wondering why the saw is out.
85 and running on 3 cylinders.
Bill

3 Phase Lightbulb
05-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Haven't had that happen yet. Usually, I buy a new one, use it and the next day I find the one I was looking for in the first place. I have more duplicates than I care to admit... I figure, eventually, I will have so many of each type of tool, I can't possible misplace them! :D

That I've done that many times with tools. The problem is, the replacements pile up everywhere and bury what you're really looking for even deeper. I've even re-bought items that I thought I didn't have only to find out later I did buy them awhile ago and never opened the box. The other day I found one of those HF 302(?) piece ratchet sets new in the box hidden on one of my shelves in the basement when I was looking for something else. I bought it years ago at my old house and totally forgot about it and finally unhurried it at my new house ~6 years later.

Dan Dubeau
05-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Tape measures are that one thing for me. I own about 10-15 of them, and can never find one when I need it. Eventually I will find about 7-8 of them in the same place, and then take them all back to the central spot where I like to initially store them (clipped around the top edge of my toolbox). I've tried buying bright orange ones to make it easier to find them, but it doesn't help. I can be staring right at it, and still not see it. I've tried spreading them all around with various groups of tools. In every vehicle, upstairs, downstairs, etc. Still the same.

Everything else I can usually find where I left it last. As long as I was the last one to use it, I can almost always close my eyes and visually remember where I last set it down. Sometimes it takes a while to remember but it does eventually come to me. If I can't remember right away, I go on to do something else while my brain works away at it in the background. I'll be doing something totally different hours later and "aha, that's where it is" walk over and pick it up.

EddyCurr
05-07-2018, 10:57 AM
... I can almost always close my eyes and visually remember where I last set it down. Sometimes it takes a while to remember but it does eventually come to me. If I can't remember right away, I go on to do something else while my brain works away at it in the background. I'll be doing something totally different hours later and "aha, that's where it is" walk over and pick it up.This I call "Retroactive IOHS". No good for locating at the moment an object is needed, but useful for eventual retrieval.

Upon rediscovery, many people leave the object where it lays and merely update its position in their memory map. The wiser folks make time to place the object back in its designated storage spot.

garyhlucas
05-07-2018, 09:18 PM
“A place for everything, and everything someplace else”

darryl
05-07-2018, 10:06 PM
When I arise in the morning I'm usually working on some idea in my head- not focusing on the toothbrush, the hairbrush, etc. So quite often I'll pick up the hair brush and go to put toothpaste on it, or pick up the toothbrush and try to comb my remaining hair with it. Just a while ago I picked up a shaver and went to comb my hair.

Been quite busy lately, preparing for a party that I'm hosting. One morning, distracted by my thoughts, I used the toilet, brushed my teeth, and had a shower. After drying off I went to brush my teeth again, figuring that I needed to shower and get ready to go. I'm standing there naked, wondering wtf- nothing seemed right- finally I realize I'm done already, but I had to clue in to put some clothes on. When I got to the pub where I was going the door was locked, but there were people already inside. Hmm, have I just entered an alternate life-thread or what- things aren't normal today. Then someone lets me in and a 2 yr old comes up to me and just stares at me- hmm. This is a pub-

J Tiers
05-07-2018, 11:07 PM
......... Especially spouses ...

My spouse, and her mother, both have a similar characteristic.

In both cases it has a good and a bad side.

Either can walk into a room where you are looking for something, they ask what it is you are looking for and what it looks like.... 5 seconds later they say "you mean this?" and are pointing at it.

The bad side is that either one can walk into a room that looks spotless and perfectly painted, decorated, etc.... and instantly spot the one defect in the paint, the one thing that does not go with the rest, or a splotch of dirt somewhere.

darryl
05-08-2018, 12:13 AM
Had a lady friend from out of town staying with me for a couple days. I warned her that my place was a workshop and there might not even be a place to sit down. She was fine with that, but couldn't resist pecking at me because the dishes weren't done. Next thing I know I'm feeling bad because she's doing them. Of course I hear the usual 'how do you ever find anything in here'. Well, I can't say don't touch anything because then I won't know where to find it- I just try to carefully peek in and see what's being moved-

Dave C
05-08-2018, 12:43 AM
My spouse, and her mother, both have a similar characteristic.

In both cases it has a good and a bad side.

Either can walk into a room where you are looking for something, they ask what it is you are looking for and what it looks like.... 5 seconds later they say "you mean this?" and are pointing at it.

The bad side is that either one can walk into a room that looks spotless and perfectly painted, decorated, etc.... and instantly spot the one defect in the paint, the one thing that does not go with the rest, or a splotch of dirt somewhere.
Neither your spouse, nor her mother are unique. They are women. They're all made that way.:(

J Tiers
05-08-2018, 01:39 AM
Neither your spouse, nor her mother are unique. They are women. They're all made that way.:(

Many others are not like that, as I have found... The two of them have that rather highly developed. It's not a problem, actually. They do not expect me to clean to their standards, and finding things is a help.

SGW
05-08-2018, 08:52 AM
... I figure, eventually, I will have so many of each type of tool, I can't possible misplace them! :D

Maybe. I tried that theory with pencils. I figured if I had enough pencils in the shop, I'd always he able to find one. I have about two dozen pencils in the shop now, and there are still occasions when I can't find one.

Glug
05-08-2018, 10:12 AM
The only thing worse than not having the tool for the job is owning the tool but not being able to find it.

Try working in a commercial shop, a maker space, or in someone else's shop space. You will restore everything perfectly before leaving. You also don't get to leave until every bit of mess on machines, floors and tools is cleaned, swept and vacuumed.

It is a chore to do so - especially in the middle of on-going projects - but it is also nice when pretty much everything is properly stored and orderly. It also forces you to focus your time.

With stuff stored in boxes or totes, I find it helps to keep an index of where non-obvious or seldom used items are located in the numbered totes.