PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a machinists prayer?

1-800miner
05-11-2018, 11:47 PM
If there is I would like to add a line.
Oh Lord why did you let Mr. Bridgeport use grease zerks?

Alistair Hosie
05-12-2018, 03:05 AM
No Prayers as yet but you can purchase a large lump of wood and rattle your skull many times with it, on the odd occasion everyday . Al

Paul Alciatore
05-12-2018, 03:44 AM
I think Alan Shepard's, “Dear lord, please don't let me f*** up.” would be the one.

It seems quite perfect and do not think any addition would be an improvement.

Ggerg1186
05-12-2018, 08:08 AM
This is my micrometer. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My micrometer is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my micrometer is useless. Without my micrometer, I am useless. I must calibrate my micrometer true. I must align the verniers straighter than my enemy who is trying to scrap my material. I must measure twice before I cut. I will…

My micrometer and I know that what counts in fabrication is not the lathes we spin, the noise of tool chatter, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the accuracy that counts. We will be accurate…

My micrometer is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its verniers and its anvils. I will keep my micrometer clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will…

Before God, I swear this creed. My micrometer and I are the defenders of accuracy. We are the masters of scrap. We are the saviors of my project.

So be it, until victory is my home shop's and there is are no projects, but peace!

dalee100
05-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Hi,

My prayer is "Oh Lord, Let us be Truly thankful for the chips we are about to receive. Bless the Inserts and keep them from chipping. Lead Me Not into a Vile Crash. Please make all My Clearances sufficient. And bless all My Finish passes to be smooth and inTolerance.

EddyCurr
05-12-2018, 03:06 PM
This is my micrometer. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My micrometer is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my micrometer is useless. Without my micrometer, I am useless. I must calibrate my micrometer true. I must align the verniers straighter than my enemy who is trying to scrap my material. I must measure twice before I cut. I will…

My micrometer and I know that what counts in fabrication is not the lathes we spin, the noise of tool chatter, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the accuracy that counts. We will be accurate…

My micrometer is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its verniers and its anvils. I will keep my micrometer clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will…

Before God, I swear this creed. My micrometer and I are the defenders of accuracy. We are the masters of scrap. We are the saviors of my project.

So be it, until victory is my home shop's and there is are no projects, but peace!Apropos. Secular (almost.)

Well done to you or whomever composed this one.

Ggerg1186
05-13-2018, 08:14 AM
Apropos. Secular (almost.)

Well done to you or whomever composed this one.

It's a parody of the US Marine Corp Rifleman's Creed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman%2527s_Creed&ved=2ahUKEwir44TO1ILbAhVo4IMKHRItAQUQFjAAegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw1PgVfOpSg0o-HBEV_N4a0c

vpt
05-13-2018, 09:04 AM
Yup, every time I pray the chuck/vise holds the part.

oxford
05-13-2018, 09:38 AM
I usually say a prayer along the lines of “please don’t let this tap break”. Instead of ending with an Amen it usually ends with an A-f”@k. :rolleyes:

loose nut
05-13-2018, 09:57 AM
If you believe a prayer will make you a better machinist then I have a bridge to sell you, cheap. Now cursing after you screw up, that is a completely different thing.

Weston Bye
05-13-2018, 11:16 AM
A Machinist's Prayer sets the right attitude, focus and tone before attempting a machining operation, making a better outcome for the machinist, the tooling and the workpiece, and the world in general.
The Machinist's Oath - short version, on the other hand, is usually uttered after a blunder or catastrophe - occasionally connected to the absence of The Prayer beforehand. The Machinist's Oath serves no benefit to the machine or tooling or workpiece, but may remotely benefit the world in general by taking a little bit of the edge off the machinist's immediate attitude... or maybe not.

Alistair Hosie
05-13-2018, 11:38 AM
To be serious prayer should be simple and short without everyone praying the words other people have dreamed up. This is a serious convention to diy .Do it yourself, and simply just from your heart. Think of talking to your guardian angels more and see how that works out I do sometimes with amazing results. After all we come into this world, with guardian angels that WE selected to watch over and help us ,before we came here. We seldom think of using them, but they are very wonderful and effective. Or try talking to a dearly departed loved one family or friend, even if they have recently crossed over. Al

Bob La Londe
05-13-2018, 01:15 PM
OH, GOD! Please help me figure out how to save this work piece.

Mcruff
05-13-2018, 02:39 PM
The lord is my Machinist;
I shall not want.
He secures me on his bench;
He dips me in the cleansing solutions;
He retempers my steel.
He sets my parts in line so I may run true---
For he is true.

Yea though I am worthy to be thrown on the scrap heap
I shall not be afraid,
For he knows I can be restored;
His mills and his molds they will refashion me.
He shines my bearings;
My motors hum.
Surely strength and service will mark my days
And I shall be useful to my Machinist
Forever.

W. Clarke MacDonald

EddyCurr
05-13-2018, 07:33 PM
The Machinist's Oath - short version, on the other hand, is usually uttered after a blunder or catastrophe - occasionally connected to the absence of The Prayer beforehand. The Machinist's Oath serves no benefit to the machine or tooling or workpiece, but may remotely benefit the world in general by taking a little bit of the edge off the machinist's immediate attitude... or maybe not.On particularly momentous occasions, utterance of The Machinist's Oath is accompanied by the Throwing Of The Tool, a ritual wherein, with great ceremony and florish, a mortal participant attempts to project an inanimate object through an adjacent vertical plane (occasionally partially or wholly succeeding, according to the material constitution of the vertical plane.)

lugnut
05-13-2018, 09:41 PM
All you non- believers need to go back and read your Machinists Hand book. Shame on you

Black Forest
05-14-2018, 03:09 AM
No need to pray. Threaten your workpiece, machines and tools. Make them quiver in your presence. There is nothing like the feeling of holding the electrical plug of a 110 volt tool or machine very close to a 220 volt receptacle and utter something along the lines of, go ahead, make my day! Tell them you have the scrappers phone number on speed dial. Works for me. My lathe never tries to turn under size!

Forrest Addy
05-14-2018, 03:26 AM
To my way of thinking prayer is best employed for inward preparation when facing times of danger and uncertainty. Doing your job right as a machinist means eliminating uncertainty to a tiny risk and working safe.

Another time for prayer is thanks for deliverance. Always suitable for them who believe but you have to remember that prayer is like a party line. Don't hog it for trivialities because other people might need it for good reason.

loose nut
05-15-2018, 09:37 AM
To my way of thinking prayer is best employed for inward preparation when facing times of danger and uncertainty.

Like leaving a chuck key in the chuck and turning the lathe on!