X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • malito
    • May 2018

Dunlap 109.0703 MT question

Hello, newbie here. I bought a Dunlap 109.0703 metal lathe in very good condition. I did some searches on the internet concerning the MT on the tail stock which is MT0, but I would like to know the MT for the head stock?? If anyone can offer any information that would be great. Thank you
  • Stu
    • Jul 2007

Pretty sure it's the same - MT 0 Stu

Comment

• J Tiers
      • Jan 2004

It is the same. I had a similar model. The centers were, however, a shortened version of the MT0, as I recall.
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• CCWKen
        • Jan 2003

You can get a copy of the Parts and OP manual here: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/269/4575.pdf

Comment

• malito
          • May 2018

Thank you all for your input. This helps greatly and will do more research but it's a great start. For my needs, it's a great lathe. And for $75.00 I think I made out pretty well.
          Thank you again

Comment

• BCRider
            • Dec 2015

I'd say that you made out like a bandit! ! ! ! That's a great deal!

Hope to see some of the parts you do with it here on this forum.

Are you getting into machining as a hobby in itself or is this a support tool to enhance some other hobby such as model building?
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• malito
              • May 2018

Thank you for asking. I started out in life being a machinist, then went to school to teach industrial arts, then pursued my true dream as a musician. Much time has past and so has so many different jobs supporting my music, my wife, my wonderful two boys who are now out in the world and thank God doing well. For me, I'm still performing but I like to call myself an inventor. I have built and designed and very different type of snare drum allowing parts to be interchangeable. I don't want to bore anyone so I'll just answer the question by saying that I will fabricating some of the drum parts on the lathe to keep costs down, keep the creative design up, and improve on the acoustic qualities of the snare drum.
              Thank you for asking.

Comment

• kendall
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by malito View Post
                Thank you all for your input. This helps greatly and will do more research but it's a great start. For my needs, it's a great lathe. And for $75.00 I think I made out pretty well.
                Thank you again

I think you made out well too. Considering that I ended up with a 109 as part of a trade for something I was asking $250 for, then put the 109 up on CL as 'best offer' and sold it for $375
                So yep, you did good!
                A lot of people rag on the craftsman lathes, 101 and 109 both, but they are very capable lathes when used in their limits.

Comment

• J Tiers
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kendall View Post
                  I think you made out well too. Considering that I ended up with a 109 as part of a trade for something I was asking $250 for, then put the 109 up on CL as 'best offer' and sold it for $375
                  So yep, you did good!
                  A lot of people rag on the craftsman lathes, 101 and 109 both, but they are very capable lathes when used in their limits.
                  The limits of the 109 are severe due to some design choices. Spindle size and using 24 tpi for the crossfeed and compound.

I made a bunch of things on mine, but when I bought a Logan 200 it felt like a Monarch10EE to me....... :-)

$375 is theft.... I got $200 for mine, and felt a bit bad, but the buyer did not deal me down to $125 as I expected him to. Not mine to ask why.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

• BCRider
                    • Dec 2015

Working on metal parts for music instruments such as drums sounds like it would be perfect for a machine of this sort of size. I hope to see some of the setups and work results in the future.
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• J Tiers
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                      Working on metal parts for music instruments such as drums sounds like it would be perfect for a machine of this sort of size. I hope to see some of the setups and work results in the future.
                      It IS a good size for that work.

The crosslide moves 0.046666666666666" per rev, ,as does the compound (24 tpi screw, j f insane). Neatly cancels out the ability to use a dial (which you have to make) unless you enjoy mental arithmetic.... And the tiny spindle bends if you frown hard when you look at it.

Aside from those issues, it is usable. With a larger spindle, and 20 tpi screws (dials also of course), it would have been a nice machine. Might have added a dollar or three to the cost, which probably would have killed sales.

Comment

• BCRider
                        • Dec 2015

Are you serious about the cross slide and compound lead screws? That'll put a big crunch into the work to be done with it ! ! ! !

My Alba shaper has really odd screw pitches for everything. And frankly it's a right PITA. If I live long enough it will eventually at least get a decent 10TPI or 20TPI lead screw for at least the slide on the ram. I can live with the odd stuff on the box but not on the ram's slide.
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• J Tiers
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                          Are you serious about the cross slide and compound lead screws? That'll put a big crunch into the work to be done with it ! ! ! !

yep.....

I had a 109.20630.... 24 tpi crosslide and compound. Why they did not use 20 I will never know.

Comment

• BCRider
                            • Dec 2015

My lathe and mill use 8 TPI screws for everything and I always found the jump from 124 back to 0 was a slight PITA. But at least it's a full integer difference. A 24TPI leadscrew would have 41 one thou divisions and a little .0007 42nd division. And that would really mess up any math.

I guess they figured that it would be "close enough". But... just.... wow..... just........... wow.....
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• J Tiers
                              • Jan 2004

Eh.....

8 tpi SHOULD be a full 0.125" per rev.... not sure what you mean by the 0.124"...... Maybe it's just the stamped numbers? but the 0.1" per rev jumps back to zero from 0.099", so I guess I don't see the issue there.... the MOVEMENT on the 8 tpi is 0.125" per rev.

But, yes indeed, for the 109, the 0.041666" per rev was a real pain in the a***.

However, it is still possible to use the machine. It is not unusable by any means. And, anyone with sense uses a mic or caliper to check size. The accuracy of the screw on a machine that sold for something like 30 bucks back in 1947 is pretty questionable and I never trusted the dial I made to better than a couple or 3 thou. The screw may have been die-cut, and not single pointed even, the AA company who made it had to cut corners somewhere, and since it did not come with dials, they had no obligation to produce accurate screws.

The biggest issue is the tiny thin spindle. if the OP has, as it seems he may, a machine that has been modified to have a larger spindle nose, then he may be better off. The spindle as-modified will fit more common chucks, and may even be less likely to bend.

I would like to see pics of this modified "109".
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 05-25-2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X