PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question arout Bridgeport 2J Head

CreakyOne
05-17-2018, 04:19 PM
I am replacing the drive belt and some top bearings on a Bridgeport Series 1 mill I got in the early 1980's. I noticed the parts breakdown shows a washer (# 11180095) associated with the Pivot Sleeve (11180089) and retaining screw (11011020). My unit didn't have the washers and I would like to know if they should go between the screw heads and top of the pivot sleeves, or between the pivot sleeve heads and the speed change plate (11120058). The washers don't seem necessary, but must have been put there for some reason so might as well be replaced.

For anyone who needs to see the breakdown and part list, the following link gives the manual with that information in pdf. format:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwiEzI_4xo3bAhVGS6wKHQkGCZUQFgg1MAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhardingeus.com%2Fusr%2Fpdf%2FKnee %2520Mills%2FSeriesIPartList4302Plus.pdf&usg=AOvVaw17sxwpjKm4HvO6jaQmqe4S

metalfixer
05-18-2018, 08:28 AM
I think the manual you are referring to is for a much newer model, I noticed two locking handles on the table, mine only has one.
I purchased a new machine in 1982, and the manual doesn’t show the part numbers you are referring to. I will try to post a picture
of my manual, when I figure out a simple way to insert a picture.
Larry

JRouche
05-18-2018, 06:25 PM
If yer ever looking for a bridgeport manual they are all on my yahoo bridgeport site. You do need to become a member (keeps the spammers away) but you can quit after downloading the manuals. Just an FYI.. JR

CreakyOne
05-19-2018, 01:07 PM
How about sealing it with wax??
I never thought about that until now.
JL...............

Parafilm is wax. Reminds me of way back, when my mother was canning jams. She used melted paraffin (the US kind, not the UK kind) on top of the jam in the jars for an air excluding seal. We (kids) would float melted paraffin on hot water in a pan. If you stick your finger in you get a coating on your finger. More dipping thickens the coat. Maybe that's the way to seal the nozzles.
Ken

My mother sealed jelly with parafin too. I used to be a beekeeper, had lots of beeswax so have tried dipping tube or cartridge tips in both the melted pure wax and into a wax/Vaseline mix. Both help (pure was can get brittle when cold) but moisture still gets in at the rear seal of cartridges, so my sealed box works better. I've tried Parafilm too, but found the molten was seemed to work better for long storage times.

Gorilla Glue is one of my favorite products, and one of my pet peeves. Its expensive, and sets up in the bottle no matter how I try to store it.

Particularly with larger bottles of Gorilla Glue, some moisture in the air (particularly in humid areas) gets into the bottle when expelling the glue. Having a long needle hooked to a low-pressure Argon tank to inject dry gas, immediately after using, expelling any moisture, and then storing in a sealed dry box would probably help greatly, assuming the extra hassle isn't too much trouble. For a few non-critical (temporary) applications, I've diluted old, thick G. Glue with acetone before applying, salvaging what might otherwise be difficult to use material.
I have the "Bridgeport Local Sales And Service" manual from that era, and an M-105H "Installation, Operation and Maintenance" manual (bearing my written date of 3/86), both having the correct breakdown diagrams and numbers and both showing the two washers. I believe my machine came with them but the previous owner left them out when working on the machine before I got it.
Yesterday I got the two lower bearings in the mail, but I had some unrelated work done on myself and have been told that I should not lift more than ten pounds until my return visit in early June. Does anyone know it the 2hp Varispeedmotor's weight exceeds that limit...I don't remember it feeling that heavy when removing it, and the motor is getting bored just sitting on the floor...:(

duckman
05-19-2018, 06:40 PM
It sounds like someone has lost the original parts and put a washer and sleeve/tube , the part should look like an upside down top hat with a hole thru it .

CreakyOne
05-19-2018, 08:12 PM
I think the manual you are referring to is for a much newer model, I noticed two locking handles on the table, mine only has one.
I purchased a new machine in 1982, and the manual doesn’t show the part numbers you are referring to. I will try to post a picture
of my manual, when I figure out a simple way to insert a picture.
Larry

I have the "Bridgeport Local Sales And Service" manual from that era, and an M-105H "Installation, Operation and Maintenance" manual (bearing my written date of 3/86), both having the correct breakdown diagrams and numbers and both showing the two washers. I believe my machine came with the washers but the previous owner left them out when working on the machine before I got it.
Yesterday I got the two lower bearings in the mail, but I had some unrelated work done on myself and have been told that I should not lift more than ten pounds until my return visit in early June. Does anyone know if the 2hp Varispeed motor's weight exceeds that limit...I don't remember it feeling that heavy when removing it, and it is getting bored just sitting on the floor...:(

It sounds like someone has lost the original parts and put a washer and sleeve/tube , the part should look like an upside down top hat with a hole thru it .

No, only the washer is missing. The original pivot sleeve and screw were present and doing their job for the last 30+ years.

BTW, I posted the top half of this reply much earlier, but got a message mine needed to be checked by a moderator, and it still hadn't appeared ten minutes ago. Luckily, I saved a copy and now my posts go through, so have reposted it on top.

danlb
05-19-2018, 09:17 PM
A two HP motor almost ALWAYS exceeds 10 lbs. The Leeson 2 HP motor is 40 lbs.

metalfixer
05-20-2018, 08:20 AM
The same parts in the 1981 M-105H are the 1011125 screw,2180095 washer, and 2180089 pivot sleeve.
They were on another diagram.
Larry

CreakyOne
05-20-2018, 11:37 AM
The same parts in the 1981 M-105H are the 1011125 screw,2180095 washer, and 2180089 pivot sleeve.
Larry

Yes, the numbers are different in the two manuals; the ones I gave in Post 1 were for reference to the diagram who's link I gave there.

The primary question still remains unanswered; does the washer go between the screw head and the top of the pivot sleeve, or under the pivot sleeve head but above the change plate? I suppose I'll be able to decide the correct washer size based on its position.

Dave C
05-20-2018, 11:42 AM
I have no idea what your health issue is, but if the doc says the limit is 10 lbs., leave the motor alone. read a book, study the manuals, or whatever it takes to keep you occupied. Fixing the mill is not worth risking your health.

CreakyOne
05-20-2018, 02:16 PM
Larry

Yes, the numbers are different in the two manuals; the ones I gave in Post 1 were for reference to the diagram who's link I gave there.
The primary question still remains unanswered; does the washer go between the screw head and the top of the pivot sleeve, or under the pivot sleeve head but above the change plate? I suppose I'll be able to decide the correct washer size based on its position.

I have no idea what your health issue is, but if the doc says the limit is 10 lbs., leave the motor alone. read a book, study the manuals, or whatever it takes to keep you occupied. Fixing the mill is not worth risking your health.

I was actually kidding about the motor; what I had done on me was relatively minor, but whereas any such work can lead to complications and the body heals better if allowed to do so without undue stress, I am heeding the instructions. I do appreciate the thoughtful "be cautious" advice, even if it isn't really needed; you have no way of knowing my sensibilities yet.

metalfixer
05-21-2018, 08:36 AM

Good advice from Dave C,
The motor is way over 10 lbs., plus when I changed my belt I also needed a ladder.

Larry