PDA

View Full Version : OT: coming anti-robocall system

tlfamm
05-17-2018, 10:04 PM
"Experts in the telecommunications industry have developed a new system that could make it harder for fraudsters to bother you with incessant phone calls.

Called the 'STIR/SHAKEN' system, it would attach a certificate of authenticity to each phone number, adding an extra layer of verification..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5741699/The-end-robocalls-New-STIR-SHAKEN-method-attaches-certificate-phone-number.html

http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/05/how-to-stop-spam-robocalls-with-stir-shaken.html

gellfex
05-17-2018, 10:20 PM
Bout freaking time something was done. I swear, this is ending voice communications as we know it. Young people simply don't answer their phones. I run a business and 3/4 of my calls are bots. This is insane. Make spoofing a felony. Even simply charging a penny a call would kill this crap off.

danlb
05-17-2018, 11:05 PM
We've had the technology for years. When I worked in the "Advanced Intelligent Network" group at the phone company in the 1990s we worked on special features that required computer processing of phone calls. We could route phone calls to 1-800-pizzahut to the nearest Pizza Hut.

My idea is pretty simple and easy to implement. When you get a spam call, dial *spam (*7726). That's all YOU do.

The phone system can be made to log the phone number that the call came from as reported by the originating phone company. If the majority of the calls placed by a single phone number are tagged as SPAM, the phone will be blocked from making calls for X hours the first time. The second time it will be blocked twice as long. Third time it will be blocked until the originating phone company indicates that the number has been re-assigned.

But wait! There's more! Each phone number or block of numbers is listed in a database that is used to figure out if 408-422-0011 is tto be sent to AT&T's office in Salinas, Ca or Verizon in San Diego. This same database can be used to confirm that the calling number is valid. No more faked caller ID.

But what do you do when a call is coming in via VOIP? VOIP uses the internet to make a call from a VOIP interface to the phone net. The VOIP lines are assigned phone numbers. You can use the technique in the previous paragraph to block any call that is coming from a VOIP interface with a number not assigned to that interface.

What do you do when a VOIP provider keeps rolling the spammers to new numbers? Not too hard to handle. Make the VOIP providers responsible for the spammers. If more than 20% of the calls over a long span of time are tagged as being spammed, then block that VOIP provider from sending any calls for a period of time.

It's easily implemented without needing new hardware. The SS7 (aka CCS7 or C7) network is already capable of passing the queries. Most of the databases are there already. If I was still there, I could write the code in a matter of months.

OH well, at least the FCC is taking some steps. AT last. :)

Lee Cordochorea
05-17-2018, 11:32 PM
I just don't bother with answering the phone. If it's important, they'll leave a message. If it's a message from a 'bot, I can delete it with a single keystroke before it finishes the first sentence.

The problem with trying to fight software with software is one of infinite escalation. It is WE who must upgrade! :cool:

JoeLee
05-18-2018, 12:24 AM
This has gotten out of hand. The do not call list is a joke.
I signed up for NOMOROBO and that has stopped a lot of calls. every now and then one or slip through and I just block it.
https://www.nomorobo.com/signup

JL.....

wierdscience
05-18-2018, 05:12 AM
We've had the technology for years. When I worked in the "Advanced Intelligent Network" group at the phone company in the 1990s we worked on special features that required computer processing of phone calls. We could route phone calls to 1-800-pizzahut to the nearest Pizza Hut.

My idea is pretty simple and easy to implement. When you get a spam call, dial *spam (*7726). That's all YOU do.

The phone system can be made to log the phone number that the call came from as reported by the originating phone company. If the majority of the calls placed by a single phone number are tagged as SPAM, the phone will be blocked from making calls for X hours the first time. The second time it will be blocked twice as long. Third time it will be blocked until the originating phone company indicates that the number has been re-assigned.

But wait! There's more! Each phone number or block of numbers is listed in a database that is used to figure out if 408-422-0011 is tto be sent to AT&T's office in Salinas, Ca or Verizon in San Diego. This same database can be used to confirm that the calling number is valid. No more faked caller ID.

But what do you do when a call is coming in via VOIP? VOIP uses the internet to make a call from a VOIP interface to the phone net. The VOIP lines are assigned phone numbers. You can use the technique in the previous paragraph to block any call that is coming from a VOIP interface with a number not assigned to that interface.

What do you do when a VOIP provider keeps rolling the spammers to new numbers? Not too hard to handle. Make the VOIP providers responsible for the spammers. If more than 20% of the calls over a long span of time are tagged as being spammed, then block that VOIP provider from sending any calls for a period of time.

It's easily implemented without needing new hardware. The SS7 (aka CCS7 or C7) network is already capable of passing the queries. Most of the databases are there already. If I was still there, I could write the code in a matter of months.

OH well, at least the FCC is taking some steps. AT last. :)

All I want is a simple app that blocks incoming calls from any number that's not in my contacts folder.Cause frankly if I don't know them,or owe them they can FOAD.;)

wierdscience
05-18-2018, 05:14 AM
This has gotten out of hand. The do not call list is a joke.
I signed up for NOMOROBO and that has stopped a lot of calls. every now and then one or slip through and I just block it.
https://www.nomorobo.com/signup

JL.....

That's because congress,with bi-partisan support exempted political and charitable organizations from the NDNCL.And as with any rule,if you make exceptions for some,then the rest will exploit it.

Abner
05-18-2018, 06:36 AM
I run a business as well and this is 75% of our calls during the slow season. Drives me crazy! I have tried almost everything. The calls have really tapered off the last few months. I started to get really nasty with them, ruin their day make them think of a different career kind of nasty, personal nasty. It doesn't feel good to do but I'm the one getting harassed here. I figure they must have a 'real' do not call list - "don't ever call his guy again list". When they call and ask for me by my formal name I tell them "Oh he moved out and doesn't live here any more" to which she said "ok we will update our records". Haha!

They have become good at spoofing numbers of other people so you will pick up.

wierdscience
05-18-2018, 06:55 AM
One quick way to get rid of some is to simply dial 2 or 9 which seems to be the two choices for being taken off their dialing list.

JoeLee
05-18-2018, 08:04 AM
That's because congress,with bi-partisan support exempted political and charitable organizations from the NDNCL.And as with any rule,if you make exceptions for some,then the rest will exploit it.Well, for what ever the reason....... My carrier allows me to block up to 100 calls, I filed that list with in a couple weeks. Then I have to start deleting some so I can add new ones. It never ends.
NOMOROBO has been working pretty well. It's probably stopped about 90% of the BS calls which for me sometimes start at 8:00 am and can got until 10:00 pm. Quite annoying.
Some calls even show up on my caller ID as local numbers and names. I guess that's called "neighborhood spoofing".
Some calls are now showing up with "SPAM" in the caller ID, the phone rings once and that's it. The one ring means the call was blocked, but even the one ring is enough to distract me if I'm on a machine or doing something.

JL...............

Bob Engelhardt
05-18-2018, 08:32 AM
NoMoRoBo used to be very good. Now, not at all. At first it was 1 ring and killed. Then it was 2 rings. Now hardly any calls are killed. I think that their servers are being overwhelmed.

wdtom44
05-18-2018, 09:54 AM
I used to get nasty with them, even call them back if I could get a number to call back, and waste their time thinking they would get tired of me and not call. Didn't work. Now we just let the machine answer and don't pickup unless it is someone we want to talk to. As we tell friends what to expect they say something like "yeah, we should do that too" or "don't blame you we get tons of those calls too". People you know will understand. It's just a different way of answering the phone. After it rings instead of just picking up you have to see if you want to now.

3 Phase Lightbulb
05-18-2018, 10:37 AM
A simple front-end system that answers the call and asks the caller the name of the person they are trying to call before transferring the call to you should filter most of the robocalls. That would be great if Siri could answer all calls and only let the callers that know your name through. I'd enable that right away. Maybe I should see if the iPhone APIs allow an application like that to be written.

gellfex
05-18-2018, 11:15 AM
I used to get nasty with them, even call them back if I could get a number to call back, and waste their time thinking they would get tired of me and not call. Didn't work. Now we just let the machine answer and don't pickup unless it is someone we want to talk to.

If it's an actual person I ask why I should consider doing business with a company of which I only know one thing for certain: they're willing to break the law.

RWO
05-18-2018, 01:40 PM
NoMoRoBo used to be very good. Now, not at all. At first it was 1 ring and killed. Then it was 2 rings. Now hardly any calls are killed. I think that their servers are being overwhelmed.

Not my experience at all. I rarely get 2 rings. Been using it for a couple of years and my carrier recommends it.

RWO

JRouche
05-18-2018, 06:18 PM
I dont get any (NONE) spam on my cell. Also dont give the number to any businesses, just friends.

Now my land line? Its terrible. Prolly 10+ a day.

I will try nomorobo. Thanks for the heads up. JR

lakeside53
05-18-2018, 09:05 PM
I just leave it to the answering machine (yep... not voicemail) - set to answer in 6 rings. Robo doesn't wait that long... Rarely one gets though.

bborr01
05-18-2018, 09:57 PM
I just let all calls go to voicemail if I don't recognize the number and if it's spam I block the number. Problem that I get is that their number is blocked but they can still leave a voicemail.

For a couple of years I have been getting bombarded with calls from the "express debit card line" or something like that. Their number is 888-741-1115. I blocked the number and they still leave voicemails. I google the name and it says they are a processing center for direct social security payments. I don't get social security yet so I don't know why they want to talk to me.

Brian

Smokedaddy
05-19-2018, 12:50 AM
I've been using this for several years with no issues. Of course it's used on a landline and better yet free. I don't give my cell phone number to anyone but family and close friends. I never get telemarketing calls on it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/jcblock/

-SD:

MushCreek
05-19-2018, 06:34 AM
It's so sad that in this day and age of being able to contact anyone, any time, any where that our phones have been rendered nearly useless. I usually can't hear my phone during the day. I shut it off at night. All it's really good for is calling for help if my car craps out. I only answer if it's someone I know.

wierdscience
05-19-2018, 07:45 AM
Well, for what ever the reason....... My carrier allows me to block up to 100 calls, I filed that list with in a couple weeks. Then I have to start deleting some so I can add new ones. It never ends.
NOMOROBO has been working pretty well. It's probably stopped about 90% of the BS calls which for me sometimes start at 8:00 am and can got until 10:00 pm. Quite annoying.
Some calls even show up on my caller ID as local numbers and names. I guess that's called "neighborhood spoofing".
Some calls are now showing up with "SPAM" in the caller ID, the phone rings once and that's it. The one ring means the call was blocked, but even the one ring is enough to distract me if I'm on a machine or doing something.

JL...............

I use Magic Jack for my landline,never get any calls there.My cell though has been getting hammered.I buy my car insurance online and the instant I signed up for it and paid the first premium that's when my cell started getting hit.Always from insurance companies of all types or credit card offers,about 60 calls this week.

As for numbers,some show from out of state,but most are local prefixes from nearby townships.

Lee in Texas
05-19-2018, 08:42 PM
These dirtbags aren't trying to call you or me. They're trying to call someone who is gullible enough to believe that someone would call them out of the blue and offer a free vacation , lower their credit card interest rate, a prescription discount card that gets huge discounts on EVERYTHING, ...you name it. I mean seriously, who would believe that an independent agency would negotiate a lower rate for anyone? How would they make money? Why would you own bank call out of the blue and offer to lower your rate? But I digress. I'll go along with them for several minutes and then ask how can I get the lowest rate/best price, etc...

Ok here is where I'm editing my post. I'll ask if I can get a better price/rate in exchange for things I can't post here. Boy do they get mad. I love it.

4GSR
05-19-2018, 11:40 PM
I take and plug in the fax machine on my 3 in 1 printer. Picks up on the second ring. They immediately hang up. After about two weeks of these calls being picked up by the fax, they stop calling. Not a long term fix, but does work for few weeks!

Puckdropper
05-20-2018, 11:23 PM
Well, for what ever the reason....... My carrier allows me to block up to 100 calls, I filed that list with in a couple weeks. Then I have to start deleting some so I can add new ones. It never ends.

JL...............

The problem with blocking is that the blockees know they're being blocked so they just use a number for a short time and then move on. Some waste of oxygen has probably even figured out how many calls to make before changing numbers. (If only he could use his math powers for good! -- Oh this isn't the TV Tropes thread.)

fixxit
05-21-2018, 01:50 AM
NomoRobo works because the service asks all participants to report any number that hasn't been blocked and gets through to you. It's easy to log onto their website and report the number and the caller ID. I have reduced the annoying calls from 3 to 5 a day down to 1 or 2 a week. As soon as I get a robo call or telemarketer, I quickly report it, and protect many other people from receiving the same annoying call. Check out nomorobo.com It works.

"Hi I'm Dave calling from the fulfillment department. Your wellness package is ready to be shipped!
And don't forget Veronica from credit card services.

3 Phase Lightbulb
05-21-2018, 09:27 AM
I quickly report it, and protect many other people from receiving the same annoying call.

Keep up the great work! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/images/icons/icon14.pnghttp://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/images/icons/icon14.pnghttp://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/images/icons/icon14.png

gellfex
05-21-2018, 11:13 AM
NomoRobo works because the service asks all participants to report any number that hasn't been blocked and gets through to you. It's easy to log onto their website and report the number and the caller ID.

My VOIP line has it but it does nothing, most calls at this point are from spoofed local numbers, they don't use the same ones twice.

CreakyOne
06-05-2018, 02:27 AM
Last month my house number, which is on the Do Not Call list, got a couple of calls, still on the answering machine (and digitally copied to my HDD), from an outfit called the Nielsen Rating Co. .... after which I got a letter (with a dollar enclosed!) from them saying they had been calling but had been unable to reach me. I since then got a second letter, still unopened. Those calls were all in violation of Federal Law as explained in many places, here included:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-tcpa-protection-against-robo-calls-prerecorded-calls.html

Last year, a number of people I know qualified for this class action lawsuit, already approved by the presiding judge:
http://time.com/money/4902758/cruise-ship-class-action-spam-calls/

I have never had any association with Nielsen nor given any prior consent; the question probably is how they will respond, having already admitted on paper to the violations, if I point out the monetary penalties and request remuneration for violating my privacy?
A local TV News program likes to do "investigative reports" about things like this; wouldn't exactly be good publicity, and even better, cases like this can actually be filed in Small Claims court.

Paul Alciatore
06-05-2018, 03:24 AM
I have an answering machine. I/we listen to the incoming calls and just do not answer if it is not someone we want to talk to. Of course, we have to erase a lot of short messages. But I think they must detect the machines because most are not repeats.

JRouche
06-05-2018, 03:31 AM
Last month my house number, which is on the Do Not Call list, got a couple of calls, still on the answering machine (and digitally copied to my HDD), from an outfit called the Nielsen Rating Co. .... after which I got a letter (with a dollar enclosed!) from them saying they had been calling but had been unable to reach me. I since then got a second letter, still unopened. Those calls were all in violation of Federal Law as explained in many places, here included:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-tcpa-protection-against-robo-calls-prerecorded-calls.html

Last year, a number of people I know qualified for this class action lawsuit, already approved by the presiding judge:
http://time.com/money/4902758/cruise-ship-class-action-spam-calls/

I have never had any association with Nielsen nor given any prior consent; the question probably is how they will respond, having already admitted on paper to the violations, if I point out the monetary penalties and request remuneration for violating my privacy?
A local TV News program likes to do "investigative reports" about things like this; wouldn't exactly be good publicity, and even better, cases like this can actually be filed in Small Claims court.

Well that is kinda stupid. I too have got brand new crisp one dollar bills in the mail.

I usually do like everyone else and peel the bill from the trash and discard the trash. JR