PDA

View Full Version : Differant use for cherry picker

olf20
07-15-2018, 07:50 PM
Sometime back a very innovative gentleman added some
2 x 4's to his cherry picker to lift sheets of plywood up to his
ceiling.
I have done several searches and can not find it. Would any
of you remember this or perhaps have saved the link?
Thanks for any help!
olf20 / Bob

haroldmulder
07-15-2018, 08:04 PM
Check out this Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyEjaU05qlo) shows one fellows adaption.
Harold

reggie_obe
07-15-2018, 08:53 PM
What too much BS, too wobbly as well. VPT's adaptation seems much better.

3 Phase Lightbulb
07-16-2018, 01:02 PM
http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/shop_lift.jpg

olf20
07-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Something very similar 3 phase, but the 2x's held the
sheets.
Thanks guys
olf20 / Bob

Mcgyver
07-16-2018, 09:14 PM
I can remember as a young guy drywalling a house I ripped apart, they didn't have caddies then. You stood on a bakers scaffold and held it to the ceiling with your head. Just misery as you felt the vibration of the drywal screw gun right into you fillings and muscles aching until you got a few screws in.

A buddy of mine who was a contractor came down to help and caught me doing so with a hockey helmet on. I suppose I looked pretty stupid and I thought he was going to hurt himself laughing so hard. Shortly afterward I was asked to procure an extra helmet.

When Opra says motherhood is the most difficult job on planet, she's never drywalled a ceiling with your bare head as the drywall caddy. Miserable bloody way to spend time.

danlb
07-17-2018, 12:02 AM
VPT posted a thread about his use of the cherry picker for drywall. I saw the pictures not that long ago, but they are gone from the thread.

Dan

Arcane
07-17-2018, 03:40 AM
That's an engine hoist...so why do people insist on calling it a cherry picker? If you think I am being anal retentive, just remember the derision heaped on people selling an item on CL like a mill and listing it as a lathe.

Fasttrack
07-17-2018, 08:49 AM
You can get a drywall hoist from HF for $160 on sale, use it and then list it on craigslist and recover probably 80-100 bucks. It will work better than the hoist and is easier to maneuver. Just not worth my time to fool around adapting a hoist...

If you only need to do one or two sheets, do it by hand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0UHi62look

or use a friend and a crutch (but it is hard on your head after awhile): https://www.familyhandyman.com/drywall/drywall-installation/how-to-hang-drywall-like-a-pro/view-all/

Edit: 2nd link is just for the picture of the two guys and a crutch. I did not read the article but am skeptical... the image also shows them nailing the ceiling sheets. Definitely use screws for the ceiling, even if you want to use nails for the wall.

Mcgyver
07-17-2018, 08:59 AM
s. Definitely use screws for the ceiling, even if you want to use nails for the wall.

I've done a few houses top to bottom (gutted to the bricks) when young and I could work nonstop and imo if you any amount to do, (say more than one sheet lol) you have to get a drywall screw gun. It is THE tool for the job, I wouldn't put a sheet of board up without one.

mattthegamer463
07-17-2018, 09:32 AM
That's an engine hoist...so why do people insist on calling it a cherry picker? If you think I am being anal retentive, just remember the derision heaped on people selling an item on CL like a mill and listing it as a lathe.

I believe you're thinking of a lather machine. Used by a professional latheist to lathe larger latheworks into smaller latheworks, while keeping their latheness concentric.

07-17-2018, 10:13 AM

Its because with the basket attachment, it's just so handy for picking cherries..

3 Phase Lightbulb
07-17-2018, 01:59 PM

I thought it was used for picking up a real cherry of an engine and installing that incredible cherry engine in the car.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/roa.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/14/47/546b42976442d_-_hm-lambo-lg.jpg

MushCreek
07-17-2018, 03:41 PM
I rigged up my hoist to do the drywall on my garage ceiling. It worked great, and I already had a hoist (cherry picker). Not as good as a dedicated drywall lift, but it is better for loading, as you can drop the boom all the way to the ground instead of having to hump a sheet of drywall up on to it. Once you get the sheet raised and in place, you can apply a little pressure so it stays put while you screw it off.

olf20
07-17-2018, 06:14 PM
Yeh, you are right it's a engine hoist. But out here on the farm we call
them cherry pickers for some reason.
Never thought of HF. I have a whole ceiling to do but can only do
a little at a time.
Thanks for all the tips, pictures, and info.
olf20 / Bob

randyjaco
07-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Many years ago I had to reroof my house. After carrying several bundles shingles up the ladder, I decided that there had to be a better way. I made an adapter for my engine hoist that would deliver 4 bundles at a time to the roof from my pick up bed. It made a miserable job a little better. :-)
Randy

olf20
07-19-2018, 07:04 AM
Just went to look on CL. Several in my area
for around $100. Ebay free shipping $130.
Now I'm ready.
Thanks for the replies!!
olf20 / Bob

Illinoyance
07-19-2018, 12:09 PM
When I see pictures of the load outboard of the footprint of the engine hoist all I can think of is the ugly surprise awaiting the user.

Joe Rogers
07-20-2018, 09:49 AM
http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/shop_lift.jpg

Obvious photoshop job. And not safe.
Joe

3 Phase Lightbulb
07-20-2018, 09:52 AM
Obvious photoshop job. And not safe.
Joe

Yes, some people are only safe in a padded room.

softtail
07-20-2018, 01:04 PM
You can rent them.

Fasttrack
07-20-2018, 01:30 PM
You can rent them.

Padded rooms? :D

Never saw the point in renting a drywall lift. Around here they go for about $40/day. Given the speed I work at, it would cost more to rent than buy!!!

SteveF
07-21-2018, 12:17 PM
Many years ago I had to reroof my house. After carrying several bundles shingles up the ladder, I decided that there had to be a better way. ................

There is. You hire your neighbor's 18 year old and once the shingles are on the roof, he hands you one, you nail it down and repeat until the job is done.

Steve

Dave C
07-21-2018, 12:56 PM
There is. You hire your neighbor's 18 year old and once the shingles are on the roof, he hands you one, you nail it down and repeat until the job is done.

Steve
Where do you find a teenaged kid that will go outside these days? All the ones I know are stuck in the house glued to some electronic gadget.

SteveF
07-21-2018, 07:52 PM
Where do you find a teenaged kid that will go outside these days? All the ones I know are stuck in the house glued to some electronic gadget.

When you live out in the country a fair number are already outside working.

Steve

Dave C
07-22-2018, 04:26 AM
I live in the country and the only kids I see outside are on 4 wheelers riding a couple hundred yards up the road to their friends house. Heaven forbid they should walk.