PDA

View Full Version : OT - Recovery is a PITA but it beats the alternative.

CCWKen
07-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Not that anyone cares but I've been off the forum for a while. Went to the ER on July 2nd and promptly received four pints of blood. Spent two days in ICU and prepping for a GI bleed fix. Received another three pints of blood and spent another couple of days in a different ICU getting ready for the next operation. It seems being low on blood pushed my aortic valve (with a murmur) past its life. All the heart arteries and other valves were good. On July 9th, I went into surgery and they replaced my failing aortic valve with a bovine tissue valve. The next day I was able to get out of bed and stand. By the 11th, I was walking the halls in the ICU wing. I was discharged on Friday the 13th! My in-home PT nurse should be here tomorrow but I'm already walking the driveway circle and to the barn (shop). I'm not supposed to lift more than 5 pounds or raise my arms above shoulder height so machine work is out for a while.

gambler
07-19-2018, 02:34 PM
get well soon. :)

Bob Ford
07-19-2018, 02:37 PM
I had wondered why no posts. Take your time so you get full recovery.

boslab
07-19-2018, 02:43 PM
Glad your fixed up, take care of yourself.
Mark

woodenbird
07-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Been down that road 5 years ago. Keep up the walking and don't overdo it. it took 6 months to get back to my old self.
Take care and get well.

07-19-2018, 03:02 PM
Heal up, soon you can give er again..

JRouche
07-19-2018, 03:37 PM
Sorry to hear the problems, glad to hear you are on the mend. JR

And FYI. In the future make sure your dentist knows about the valve. My good machinist friend died from an infected bovine valve after some major dental work. He didnt know there could be an issue.

Mcgyver
07-19-2018, 03:39 PM
sorry to hear it, hopes for a speedy recovery

danlb
07-19-2018, 03:46 PM
Glad to hear that they caught it in time. Yeah, it's a PITA but if you follow the PT faithfully you will end up in better shape than you've been in years.

Dan

brian Rupnow
07-19-2018, 04:38 PM
I care. Damn, I care about all of us old guys. Get better soon. Stay away from bulls.---Brian

flylo
07-19-2018, 05:16 PM
Get well soon! Wonder if your valve will like bacon?

mattthemuppet
07-19-2018, 05:36 PM
Get well soon! Right now, you're blood is more someone else than you :) At least for a few days...

chip's
07-19-2018, 06:12 PM
Glad you are doing better, get well soon.

PStechPaul
07-19-2018, 09:55 PM
Good news that you're doing better. I'm hoping to stay operation-free for 2018. I've averaged 1 a year since hip replacement in 2013. I have so much metal in my body that I might be a good (semi) mobile lightning rod! I also have to take antibiotics before dental work. Best wishes for a swift and complete recovery :)

Glug
07-19-2018, 09:57 PM
Glad to hear you're on the mend. Thanks for letting us know.

wierdscience
07-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Good to hear you're on the mend!

Fasttrack
07-19-2018, 10:38 PM
Yikes! Glad you're on the mend, Ken.

And FYI. In the future make sure your dentist knows about the valve. My good machinist friend died from an infected bovine valve after some major dental work. He didnt know there could be an issue.

A good friend of mine recently had a scare when her father went through the same thing. Luckily he has (mostly) recovered but they traced the infection back to dental work. Apparently you are quite a bit more susceptible to endocarditis after valve replacement. Dental work can allow bacteria in the mouth to enter the blood stream and cause some nasty problems!

BCRider
07-20-2018, 02:23 AM
Good to read that you're on the mend.

As for not noticing the lack of postings? Well, being summer it may have been that you were away somewhere with no interwebz. Or that you simply didn't have anything to say?

I know, I know..... Not likely that many of us don't have SOMETHING to beak off about around THIS place... .:D

Arcane
07-20-2018, 05:24 AM
Jeeze, it's good to hear you made it! You make sure to look after yourself and give your body time to heal.

MTNGUN
07-20-2018, 11:22 AM
CCWKen, may I ask what were the symptoms that started this adventure?

3 Phase Lightbulb
07-20-2018, 11:30 AM

Curiosity

Recovery is a PITA but it beats the alternative.

Get well soon you Clumsy Bastard!

38_Cal
07-20-2018, 12:29 PM
Heal fast, listen to instructions from your docs and therapists!

QSIMDO
07-20-2018, 01:16 PM
Congratulations!
I did the same thing on April 16th. They kicked me out on the 19th!
Australian bovine valve.
Three months later though and it really is a remarkable difference, though they still won't let me lift more than 15 lbs.

Have you sneezed yet?
GRAB your chest pillow!!
Be religious with the spirometer and walking.
Definitely go to rehab.
I'm doing over an hour of aerobics three times a week...couldn't do twenty minutes before the valve.
Best of luck!

CCWKen
07-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes guys.

To narrow it down to what got me a ride in an ambulance to the ER was; chest pains, vomiting and the feeling I couldn't catch my breath. For all purposes, it was a full blown heart attack. But it was caused by not having enough blood for the heart to pump. That's a long story that goes back a couple of years. Possibly, a recent tear in the stomach to small intestine area caused the current problem.

The ambulance crew made me sign a release because I wanted to be put on O2 and taken to the ER of a hospital that was farther away. (But the best in town.) I later found out that was a good choice for me. The doctor at the ER said they would have killed me if they treated it as a heart attack--Paddles on the chest, etc.. I needed whole blood and I needed it right then. The O2 kept me alive and slowed my heart down.

CCWKen
07-20-2018, 01:47 PM
GRAB your chest pillow!!

Yep! I keep that handy all the time. :D

QSIMDO
07-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Another advantage going with the bovine valve is most can eventually stop taking Warfarin.
He took me off last week.
Aspirin continues but I'm not bleeding all over the damn place with just that.

bborr01
07-21-2018, 10:49 AM
I have several friends who have had heart problems. Most all of them said that once they recovered from the surgery they felt better than they have in years. I hope you have the same story in a few months.

Brain

RB211
07-21-2018, 07:00 PM
Glad to hear you're recovering! How did you get low on blood?

CCWKen
07-21-2018, 08:42 PM
How did you get low on blood?

Apparently, it was caused by an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) where the stomach joins the small intestine. The GI doctor said it must have been leaking over a few years. (No sign of bleeding from the "usual" places.) It didn't show up on an x-ray, CT scan or MRI I had when I started the Rheumatoid Arthritis treatment two years ago. They just knew I was on the anemic side. Something more recent must have caused it to burst. I suspect all the heavy lifting I was doing recently. (Kurt vise, rotary table, dividing head, plasma cutter, etc.)

RB211
07-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Apparently, it was caused by an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) where the stomach joins the small intestine. The GI doctor said it must have been leaking over a few years. (No sign of bleeding from the "usual" places.) It didn't show up on an x-ray, CT scan or MRI I had when I started the Rheumatoid Arthritis treatment two years ago. They just knew I was on the anemic side. Something more recent must have caused it to burst. I suspect all the heavy lifting I was doing recently. (Kurt vise, rotary table, dividing head, plasma cutter, etc.)
Glad you are recovering, my Grandmother and mother weren't lucky. Aortic issues run in the family, my Uncle was in the hospital when his Aorta let go, was extremely lucky.