PDA

View Full Version : O/T : Free Sheet Metal Shop Equipment in the East SF Bay Area

CreakyOne
07-26-2018, 08:20 PM
This ad was just posted less than half an hour ago; the best items appears to be a JET combination tool (roller, brake, shear?) and a large "baby bottle". Probably won't last long, but if you're in the area ...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/zip/d/free-metal-shop-equipment/6654351025.html

I wouldn't mind having the Briggs engine, but probably shouldn't and it's too far anyway.

bborr01
07-26-2018, 11:01 PM
Posting deleted by author by 11pm EST.

JoeLee
07-26-2018, 11:02 PM
Same old BS I get every time I look at craigs list. Posting Deleated.

JL.................

3 Phase Lightbulb
07-26-2018, 11:22 PM
You have to jump on the good deals, of course they don't last long.

LKeithR
07-27-2018, 12:07 AM
Posting deleted by author by 11pm EST.

Yeah, happens all the time. To avoid wasting people's time if you're going to post a listing from Craigslist or Ebay at least take the
time to grab a couple pictures so the post doesn't die when the ad goes away...

CreakyOne
07-27-2018, 12:18 AM
Yeah, happens all the time. To avoid wasting people's time if you're going to post a listing from Craigslist or Ebay at least take the
time to grab a couple pictures so the post doesn't die when the ad goes away...

There are a few people here who live near there and would have had a chance getting it if they had seen the ad (or this thread) in time; that was the purpose of the thread; you are too far away for it to matter to you, and the location was listed in the title, so if you wasted your time, it was your choice.

07-27-2018, 12:37 AM
Thanks for posting, be cool if some one here got it.

danlb
07-27-2018, 12:57 AM
I live 30 minutes away. I saw the post at 7 PM and the ad said they were leaving at 7:30 PM sharp. With traffic, it could be an hour away, so I did not even try. There is a similar one locally for only $200. Now I'm thinking about that. Can't help it, ya know?

CCWKen
07-27-2018, 09:16 AM
You didn't miss anything. From what I saw, it was the kind of stuff left over when someone sweeps out the corners of an old closing shop. :cool:

Machine
07-27-2018, 09:45 AM
Yeah I saw it. Mostly heavily used yard sale junk. The sheet metal brake looked ok, but was a small Jet model. Not terribly valuable. The rest of it, if memory serves was:

3 old beat up non autodarkening welding helmets
a small pile of dirty and well used welding gloves
a grimy, beat up old oxy/acetylene torch (just the hand torch itself)
a tangled length of oxy/acet welding hose (probably dry rotted)
3 of the metal caps that gets screwed onto the tops of welding gas bottles
An old briggs stratton engine
And something that was associated with the engine....not sure

And I think that was about it...unless anyone can remember anything else?

07-27-2018, 10:46 AM
' it was a riding mower diff, i think it had a 3 speed in it..

Machine
07-27-2018, 10:54 AM
' it was a riding mower diff, i think it had a 3 speed in it..

Yep, that's right. It was an old aluminum housing transmission with axles and a sprocket drive power input. A typical, mass produced MTD garden tractor cheapie.

J Tiers
07-27-2018, 11:55 AM
Same old BS I get every time I look at craigs list. Posting Deleated.

JL.................

That means CL WORKED..... Not "same old BS", but the fact that the item was sold, and the poster was one of the folks who has the class and responsibility to delete the post when the item is sold, instead of leaving it, and getting calls for the next week.

CreakyOne
07-27-2018, 12:10 PM
Yeah I saw it. Mostly heavily used yard sale junk. The sheet metal brake looked ok, but was a small Jet model. Not terribly valuable. The rest of it, if memory serves was:

3 old beat up non autodarkening welding helmets
a small pile of dirty and well used welding gloves
a grimy, beat up old oxy/acetylene torch (just the hand torch itself)
a tangled length of oxy/acet welding hose (probably dry rotted)
3 of the metal caps that gets screwed onto the tops of welding gas bottles
An old briggs stratton engine
And something that was associated with the engine....not sure

And I think that was about it...unless anyone can remember anything else?

You forgot the gas cylinder; it looked to be full sized, 220-250 cf , probably oxygen or argon. The Briggs engine was an older horizontal one, probably 8 hp hp. They and the JET unit were worth getting by someone nearby. I have friends with a welding supply business, and spare bottle caps are always useful for them...bottles do come back missing covers.